Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Would you want a Combat Evolved 20th Anniversary?

OP ProFitofKiLLz

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Already done MCC remake.
I'd be fine with it but only if it's a remake and not a remaster. I don't think another paint job is necessary but if 343 does what nintendo did to the first 2 metroid games and completely re-imagine the campaign with new weapons, missions, etc then count me the heck in. there are plenty of ways to modify the campaign with out ruining the cannon. pull something similar to spv3 maybe but more professional and polished with different changes. no body pull the "but the pillar of autumn didn't have that stuff on board, this breaks cannon" kinda crap because fireteam raven threw all that through the window.
While it would be cool to have an updated Combat Evolved to really looking good like H2A, I would prefer to wait until maybe the 25th anniversary instead so there's more of a demand for it.
No. I don't want to see a new anniversary edition. I'd rather see them make a new Halo game, but put the effort into making it fun like the old Halo games were. Halo 5 didn't even come close to the older games.

Halo MCC was full of bugs. It still is. Rather than fix the bugs, they gave us Halo 3: ODST Anniversary. But that didn't make up for all the bugs. I'd much rather have a single new game that works and is polished than a whole lot or anniversary editions! Please, 343, just concentrate all your effort into making a single new quality game.

P.S. I still have more fun playing the original Halo CE on my original Xbox with it's 640x480 resolution than I do Halo 5 with all it's advanced HD graphics. Great graphics alone do NOT make a game fun.
I would prefer them to actually finish H2A ;(all MP maps please , [Terminal ,Turf , and Burial Mounds are all great maps deserving of update , not to mention Elongation , Back-wash or Damnation]) ; or update H3 before voting to have another version of CE.

And yes I know H3 runs fine on the 1 , but by the time it comes around to the appropriate time for H3A once again the Scarlet will be out or maybe something better at the rate consoles are accelerating.
I think they are honoring Halo CE in the best way right now: Turning the MCC into the definitive Halo CE experience.

They should continue on their current course of delivering great updates to the MCC, and eventually bring MCC to Play Anywhere on the PC. What better way to honor Halo CE than to preserve it and keep it playable on current hardware and platforms?
Unnecessary. MCC is a great way to experience CE and honestly what would be the point of the remaster at this point? They'd be better off doing a Halo 3 Anniversary and putting it in as like $30 DLC in MCC. That'd be ideal imho.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I rather have halo 3 aniversy
Naaaahhhhhhh no need unless they do a complete remake from scratch
God no. If anything, make a Halo 3 Anniversary. I would definitely buy that.
The only way I'd want one is if instead of a remaster, it would be a full on remake. I'd rather have it be a reimagining of the game, something like spv3.
Based on that recent Anniversaries werent handled that well (with CEA looking like a downgrade on most parts and recycling Halo Reach artstyle and MCC still not working properly after all these years) I would say I definitely dont want another one.

343i should just focus on creating a new game and get their feces together. So just focus the resources on Infinite and not even think about creating another Anniversary that rides on old glory.
I really don't care if CE gets another remaster or not. Truth be told I've never been a fan of remasters. When I play them I have feelings like "this isn't the real thing" or "this isn't how it was meant to be played" or the game just feels "off". If the community at large wants remasters, 343 should definitely make them. But I probably wouldn't buy it. If we want to go back to CE, I wouldn't want a remaster, but a whole new game set in the time of CE, maybe even with classic graphics, where we get to see the war on the ring from Arbiter's point of view, playing as him.
I will never, under any circumstances, want the same game remastered every ten years.

Remastering Halo: Combat Evolved once was somewhat redundant as every pawn shop has a copy of the original for $5.00, but the thought of the game being remastered again is absolutely absurd. What about on the 30th and 40th anniversary of Halo: Combat Evolved? Do you really want the same game to be resold to you every ten years? And what of the sequels? Should they get the same treatment?

Halo: Combat Evolved will be preserved as used copies will continue to exist until the end of humanity across multiple different platforms, so constant re-releases is not necessary.
We don't REALLY need it, the graphics still look great. Remasters are kind of just a way to eat your money, because you are literally buying the exact same game, with a few added things. (Such as graphics.)
YES. I'd love if they redid Halo CE and 2 with newer next-gen graphics, fix all of their mistakes, and release the games on PC. I've been wanting them to do this, not just so they can release them on PC with even better graphics, but because I believe that Halo CE's remaster was a DISASTER. They could do it in two different ways:

1. They could completely rebuild the two games from scratch, implement the many tons of content that was cut due to time constraints (Engineers, the Spectre in Halo CE, the Mongoose in Halo 2, etc.), and maybe add some more content, like UNSC air vehicles and the Beam Rifle in Halo CE (they'd obviously have to redo the campaign level design to implement these things there, but I think it might be for the better, I mean, just look at the Halo SPV3 mod, and imagine what 343i could do with their resources). This is what I'd prefer. Not just a remake, but a reimagining of what the first games could be today.
2. Moderately upgrade the games to look like a next-gen game, and [hopefully] fix Halo CEA's serious problem of reusing Halo 3 and Reach's 3D models (in a lower quality mind you), and shoving it in there (and hopefully giving Halo CEA the separate remastered multiplayer it deserves, like Halo 2A, along with adding CGI cutscenes, like they also did with Halo 2A). This is obviously the more realistic thing that they would do if they are going to re-release them, but I don't know how it would be handled.

I especially believe that Halo CEA was a mess for many reasons. Not only does it not look very good compared to Halo 2A (which was a next gen game, unlike CEA, but I'd even say Halo Reach still holds up better than CEA), but it just looks visually and aesthetically incohesive, and for many, many reasons. Let's start with the engine. Contrary to popular belief, no, the game doesn't run on Halo Reach's graphical engine. It was built using a custom graphical engine built by Saber Interactive specifically for this game. Don't get me wrong, Saber is really good with graphics (just look at Halo2A and Quake Champions, which both look very good in my opinion), but this overlaid graphical engine has missing graphical features that the original game had, rendering this graphical update somewhat of a downgrade from the original (these effects were showcased back then to sell the Original Xbox, so taking them away now is taking things away that made the graphics so special back then). This is in part due to the terrible port job to PC that Gearbox did back then (which removed said effects), and that is the version that was ported (although it should've been the Original Xbox version). Although some of these effects were put back in the Anniversary port, these effects were not implemented in the remastered graphics, so it ends up ruining some of the atmosphere (among the effects missing were the sun-filtering-through-the-trees effect and some fog). Another thing is the 3D models. Except for the environments, almost nothing was new in Anniversary (exceptions that come to mind were Master Chief himself, the Pillar of Autumn crewmembers, and the small covenant turret you see throughout the game, and that last one was remade because that turret exists literally in no other Halo game except CE). When the game was first seen in the preliminary footage, people critiqued the game for reusing the Reach AR and Pistol. They promised to implement new models, but all they did is reuse Halo 3's third person LOD models (and literally nothing else changed in terms of weapon models, because those were the only ones players complained about due to only seeing chief holding those two up close, and no others). It creates inconsistencies, with the Wraiths having plasma turrets, when they don't actually have any, and the Scorpion looking like it's missing something because it's the Reach model with its turret missing (there's a big black crater where the chain-gun turret is supposed to be). And finally, the environments don't match up. I've been constantly shooting at walls that weren't there until I switched back the graphics. I wasn't going to talk about the remastered cutscenes, since they're pretty self explanatory (they're awfully animated), but I wanted to bring special attention to WHAT ON EARTH DID THEY DO TO KEYES' HANDS?! I'm not talking animation-wise, I'm talking straight-up UNCANNY. I think I might be the first person on earth to ever notice this, since I've never seen anybody mention this. I believe that it was really hard (or impossible) to see this when this game was first released, due to the Xbox 360's really low resolution, but now that it's Xbox One X enhanced now you could see it in full detail. look up the first few Xbox One X cutscenes with Keyes in the Pillar Of Autumn and look "closely" at Captain Keyes' hands. They look like fine regular hands at first sight, but when his hands are closer to the camera, you can see that HIS HANDS HAVE AN OVERLAYED CLOTH TEXTURE, MAKING IT LOOK LIKE HE'S WEARING GLOVES SOWN FROM HIS OWN HUMAN SKIN! Imagine a normal human hand, but although being textured like regular human skin, it also kind of looks like it was sown together like thick cloth, it's CREEPY AAND DISGUSTING! Just HOW one could mess that up is beyond me. Unfortunately, I don't have any screenshots with me to show it, but you can easily look at what I'm referring to myself by just looking at the first few cutscenes with Keyes in it in HD (easier to see in 4K).. Some of these weren't problems with Halo 2's Anniversary version (although some models were reused, but modified, unlike the first one), and it creates a stark contrast when I go from Halo CE to Halo 2. This has been bugging me A LOT, and probably even too much if I'm being honest (my extremely heavy OCD knows no bounds, and I was even considering touching up Halo CEA, requesting people new models to implement into the game, and sending it to Microsoft, somehow...). I was thinking of starting a new topic around this, but I haven't gotten around to it (and I explained most of what I had to say here, so it's mostly going to be copy and paste from here), but I'm glad of getting this off my chest now. So yeah, I most definitely hope they remake these two games again, but properly next time.

TL;DR: Halo CEA is a terrible remaster, with Keyes' scary hands being knitted from his own human flesh, and I hope they remaster this game again, but properly next time (along with Halo 2A, even though it was done a lot better).
The only remaster I'd be hard up for is all of the original trilogy, remastered up to H2A campaign's standards, with all of the maps for all the games' multiplayers redone, MP player models representative of Spartan IIs and not Spartan IVs, Elites done as beautifully as H2A campaign in both campaign AND multiplayer, Blur cutscenes, all under one roof, with quality among each game equal enough so it all feels like one story/one game, with constant support for bugs and such. That's my pipe dream. That's how I think a legendary franchise like Halo should have been treated. It's pretty much a 1 in 100 trillion chance that this would ever happen, though.

HCE's remaster was lackluster, with reused models from previous games and characters that couldn't even fit the skeletons right, and a multiplayer that was pretty much just a Reach expansion, and H2A was bundled into the rushed mess that was MCC with Certain Affinity making the multiplayer feel like a modified Halo 4. If something like above doesn't happen, then count me out.
Maybe a Halo 20th Anniversary Collection, but that's about it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3