Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Xbox one X System Link Halo 3

OP BozTech

Hey guys.
So basically since halo came out a group of us religiously get together and play system ink. These days we only play Halo 3 on the 360, however when there are 8 of us playing we get a lot of lag in some maps... too much -Yoink- going on i guess. My question is, will the new Xbox One X be able to play halo 3 system link and if yes, if we got these new xboxs will the lag go away!

This is my first post so sorry if iv'e put it in the wrong area. Thanks fellas
BozTech wrote:
Hey guys.
So basically since halo came out a group of us religiously get together and play system ink. These days we only play Halo 3 on the 360, however when there are 8 of us playing we get a lot of lag in some maps... too much -Yoink- going on i guess. My question is, will the new Xbox One X be able to play halo 3 system link and if yes, if we got these new xboxs will the lag go away!

I have a One X and two copies of Halo 3 and my 360. I will run a test later today for you on the One X, 360 and even the original One and report back.

Halo 3 has received One X specific enhancements which include native 4K resolution (not confirmed yet but DF believes so), HDR and massively improved textures. FPS is still 30 but these slowdowns you speak of may not happen as much on the One.
MadPolarBear94 Legend! Im not really savvy in the tech world so not sure what that all meant but i love the passion and your effort mate! greatly appreciate it. looking forward to your word.
BozTech wrote:
Hey guys.

I have a One X and two copies of Halo 3 and my 360. I will run a test later today for you on the One X, 360 and even the original One and report back.

Halo 3 has received One X specific enhancements which include native 4K resolution (not confirmed yet but DF believes so), HDR and massively improved textures. FPS is still 30 but these slowdowns you speak of may not happen as much on the One.
I believe the are putting the resolution to near 1080p.
BozTech wrote:
MadPolarBear94 Legend! Im not really savvy in the tech world so not sure what that all meant but i love the passion and your effort mate! greatly appreciate it. looking forward to your word.
I'm back with the tests. I'll try to keep it as simple as I can. Below is the tests showing you how it was setup, what worked and what didn't:

*Disclaimer*

I was unable to test Xbox 360 over Wifi as I only have the launch Xbox 360 model, which had no Wifi. I was unable to test the Xbox One S as I do not own one but I make the assumption the One S will perform the same as the other Xbox One models. I was also unable to test more than 2 Xbox consoles at a time due to only having 2 copies of Halo 3. I make the assumption that multiple consoles will work based on the results below.

Consoles used:

Xbox 360 (Launch model, 20GB, No Wifi)
Xbox One (Launch model)
Xbox One X (Launch model at the time of this post)

Before you start:

- Ensure Halo 3 is up to date (connect to Xbox Live, download update, XBL Gold not required). Latest version is 1.2, if you get no update it should say 1.2 below the menu options
- Digital Halo 3 WILL work on 360/One. For the Xbox One if you are using digital, make sure the Xbox is set as the HOME Xbox in your settings. This allows you to launch digital games offline.

What worked:

Xbox One X connected directly to Xbox 360 via Ethernet cable.

- No router is involved. Both consoles are using offline profiles.
- Limited to two consoles as it is a direct connection between the two consoles
- Both consoles are offline and have no form of internet access in this method

Xbox One X and Xbox 360 connected to router via Ethernet Cables.

- Both Xbox One X and Xbox 360 had their own separate Ethernet Cables plugged in directly to the same router.
- Both Xbox One X and Xbox 360 can be online or offline.
- You can have a mixture of an online gamertag or offline (temporary) profiles in Halo 3
- Both consoles can be logged into Xbox Live
- This method theoretically will allow you to add more Xbox's as long as they are connected to the same router (mine has 4 ports so I COULD use 4 Xbox's)

Original Xbox One and Xbox 360 connected to router via Ethernet Cables.

- Same result as Xbox One X and Xbox 360

Original Xbox One and Xbox 360 connected directly via Ethernet Cable

- Same result as Xbox One X and Xbox 360 test

Original Xbox One and Xbox One X connected to router via Ethernet Cables

Original Xbox One and Xbox One X connected directly via Ethernet Cable

What DIDN'T work:

- Xbox One and Xbox One X CANNOT connect to any system link game over WiFi. Both consoles turn up a NAT error and are able to see the game but cannot join. They cannot connect to each other or the Xbox 360 when connected to WiFi
- Both consoles had an OPEN NAT whilst on WiFi and both claimed the other console was at fault, which is clearly not the case.

So to end, yes you can system link with Xbox One, Xbox One X and Xbox 360. You MUST make sure the Xbox One's are using an ethernet cable either directly to the 360/One or to the router. If you want to use multiple Xbox's, the Xbox One's will need to be connected directly to the same router the 360 consoles are connected to by an Ethernet cable. Xbox One X runs an enhanced version of Halo 3 and thus has a more stable framerate (smooth and less lag) and as mentioned before, a to be confirmed native 4K resolution (makes the game look much nicer than XBO/360).

If you have any more questions i'll do my best to answer them. Hopefully this should give you and any other user interested in system link the information they need.
BozTech wrote:
I'm back with the tests. I'll try to keep it as simple as I can. Below is the tests showing you how it was setup, what worked and what didn't:

*Disclaimer*

I was unable to test Xbox 360 over Wifi as I only have the launch Xbox 360 model, which had no Wifi. I was unable to test the Xbox One S as I do not own one but I make the assumption the One S will perform the same as the other Xbox One models. I was also unable to test more than 2 Xbox consoles at a time due to only having 2 copies of Halo 3. I make the assumption that multiple consoles will work based on the results below.

Consoles used:

Xbox One (Launch model)

Before you start:

- Ensure Halo 3 is up to date (connect to Xbox Live, download update, XBL Gold not required). Latest version is 1.2, if you get no update it should say 1.2 below the menu options
- Digital Halo 3 WILL work on 360/One. For the Xbox One if you are using digital, make sure the Xbox is set as the HOME Xbox in your settings. This allows you to launch digital games offline.

What worked:

- Both Xbox One X and Xbox 360 had their own separate Ethernet Cables plugged in directly to the same router.
- You can have a mixture of an online gamertag or offline (temporary) profiles in Halo 3
- This method theoretically will allow you to add more Xbox's as long as they are connected to the same router (mine has 4 ports so I COULD use 4 Xbox's)

What DIDN'T work:

- Xbox One and Xbox One X CANNOT connect to any system link game over WiFi. Both consoles turn up a NAT error and are able to see the game but cannot join. They cannot connect to each other or the Xbox 360 when connected to WiFi
- Both consoles had an OPEN NAT whilst on WiFi and both claimed the other console was at fault, which is clearly not the case.

So to end, yes you can system link with Xbox One, Xbox One X and Xbox 360. You MUST make sure the Xbox One's are using an ethernet cable either directly to the 360/One or to the router. If you want to use multiple Xbox's, the Xbox One's will need to be connected directly to the same router the 360 consoles are connected to by an Ethernet cable. Xbox One X runs an enhanced version of Halo 3 and thus has a more stable framerate (smooth and less lag) and as mentioned before, a to be confirmed native 4K resolution (makes the game look much nicer than XBO/360).

If you have any more questions i'll do my best to answer them. Hopefully this should give you and any other user interested in system link the information they need.
You sir have the timing of the gods
BozTech wrote:

*Disclaimer*

Consoles used:

Xbox One (Launch model)

Before you start:

What worked:

What DIDN'T work:

You sir have the timing of the gods
I aim to please.
G wizz mate you went above and beyond!! Thanks heaps, you certainly answered my question and then some :) Cant wait to play halo 3 in high rez !