I think 343 as a game developer is really good at studying and curating source material, as they did with MCC. The presentation of the material and how it can be accessed in MCC is fantastic. Honestly, I even think that with Playlists, 343 came up with an idea that works wonderfully Halo's characteristic that basically every mission is a whole and that they can be rearranged and still work well.

And also with Halo 4 they did very well at recreating the Halo formula and enriching the characters Master Chief and Cortana. Halo 4 might even be the best Halo game ever made.

But when 343 tried to do something entirely original from scratch, as with Halo 5 Guardian's campaign, the studio fell flat. They peeked at what Bungie was doing once again and tried to compete with Destiny, which basically didn't work out at all and left the whole beloved Halo franchise in a pretty bad place.

Halo 5 might have been the biggest letdown in video game history.

So who still believes that this franchise will recover?
One thing that you forgot to mention that plays a huge role is the producer of a creation. What I mean is a producer in terms of the entertainment industry. Films, TV shows, and even video games have producers, and these producers have the final say in the product that is being made with their funding. Sure, the Director has a say in how things are created, but it's ultimately up to the Producer in whether or not to keep those changes, or even to go with the style the Director recommends.

Now in this case, we'll treat Halo 5 like a movie. The Producer (Microsoft Studios) is funding the Director (343 Industries) in making the game. They allow 343 Industries certain freedoms, but at Microsoft's approval. Many things that 343 Industries wanted to do with the story were not approved by Microsoft, and as a result had to be scrapped and crafted in Microsoft's vision. Some could argue saying "well 343 Industries can just ignore Microsoft and make their own game". That's all well and dandy, but as a result of that, Microsoft would strip all funding to 343 Industries, and no game would be made in the end.

The same thing happened with Bungie and Activision in regards to the first Destiny. There was such an involved story that we never got, and the story we did receive was a last-minute forced change by Activision. There were many scenes that prove this was true in their ViDocs, and it's a shame because we all saw what Destiny turned into as a result of the Producer's direct control over a product. Here is an article that explains how Activison messed with Bungie's direction in making Destiny's original story.

I'm not saying that I was there when all this happened, but I do happen to be majoring in Film and Television Production, and this is a huge, important factor that we are taught. Even if you're the Director, the Producer is the ultimate say in the way an entertainment product is made. So I think I have some slight leeway in what I stated.

TLDR:
It's not entirely 343 Industries fault. It's also Microsoft's fault for the forced changes that they imposed on 343 Industries.
I agree that a Producer has the final say.

However, I think the idea what becomes of Cortana in Halo 5 was 343's idea entirely. They talked about how exciting it was to see what monstrosity she becomes. And I can't imagine Microsoft would have had that idea of a negative evolution of the Cortana character, since she is their postergirl, so to speak, starring as a PA in Windows 10 even.

Another huge misstep apart from the development of Cortana was the idea to make Halo a squad based shooter. The AI of your teammates was horrible. And the Halo feel to me is definitely feeling powerful as the master chief and have other marines cheer you on on your journey as a one man army and humanity's greatest warrior, all while having a strong female character tell you where to go.

The introduction of two fireteams was also poorly executed, as there was no theme to link it all. Locke sets out to hunt down and retire the Master Chief but then somehow ends up supporting him.

Long story short, Halo 5 suffered from a severe identity crisis. It tried to deviate from the Halo formula in many ways, but instead of feeling fresh, it ended up feeling more dated than any other Halo game before, notably having poor AI companions, which should be a thing of the past and also had some non-combat areas which were entirely scripted and downright boring and non-interactive.

Maybe Microsoft pushed 343 to compete with Destiny, introducing tier-based collectible cards and aim down the sights, sprint and destiny-like, more fast paced movement and abilities. But it ultimately lacked meaningful character customization and a loot grind which made Destiny appealing.

Ultimately I don't care whose fault it is, the only thing I do care about is whether or not 343 will be able to follow-up the debacle that Halo 5 was with a new game that would bring this franchise back on track. But they've written themselves into a corner by focusing too strongly on characters that ultimately fall into uninteresting chilchees and by complicating and convoluting the relationship between Chief and Cortana, which has always been the source of vitality of the series.
I think 343 should just stop making Halo. It makes me sad, but I just don't think 343 has the ability to make a good Halo game any more. They just keep cutting corners, and what's left is nothing worth buying. I am a huge fan of the older Halos, and I still play them regularly. I was always impressed with the quality of the older Halo games. But everything on the Xbox One is crap. The quality has just gone down so significantly, it's not even worth buying anymore.
I think 343 should just stop making Halo. It makes me sad, but I just don't think 343 has the ability to make a good Halo game any more. They just keep cutting corners, and what's left is nothing worth buying. I am a huge fan of the older Halos, and I still play them regularly. I was always impressed with the quality of the older Halo games. But everything on the Xbox One is crap. The quality has just gone down so significantly, it's not even worth buying anymore.
They have made one game for the Xbox One. I enjoyed Halo 4 and I enjoyed the Halo 5 multiplayer. The campaign was forgettable. Something they will no doubt learn from and improve on in Halo 6. I fell the MCC failure and feedback from Halo 5 will give them plenty to reflect on and learn from for Halo 6. I mean, everyone praises Bungie, but all 5 of their Halo games were different. I think the rose tinted glasses of Nostalgia wipe away any of their missteps, but they weren’t perfect either.
HC Lasky wrote:
One thing that you forgot to mention that plays a huge role is the producer of a creation. What I mean is a producer in terms of the entertainment industry. Films, TV shows, and even video games have producers, and these producers have the final say in the product that is being made with their funding. Sure, the Director has a say in how things are created, but it's ultimately up to the Producer in whether or not to keep those changes, or even to go with the style the Director recommends.

Now in this case, we'll treat Halo 5 like a movie. The Producer (Microsoft Studios) is funding the Director (343 Industries) in making the game. They allow 343 Industries certain freedoms, but at Microsoft's approval. Many things that 343 Industries wanted to do with the story were not approved by Microsoft, and as a result had to be scrapped and crafted in Microsoft's vision. Some could argue saying "well 343 Industries can just ignore Microsoft and make their own game". That's all well and dandy, but as a result of that, Microsoft would strip all funding to 343 Industries, and no game would be made in the end.

The same thing happened with Bungie and Activision in regards to the first Destiny. There was such an involved story that we never got, and the story we did receive was a last-minute forced change by Activision. There were many scenes that prove this was true in their ViDocs, and it's a shame because we all saw what Destiny turned into as a result of the Producer's direct control over a product. Here is an article that explains how Activison messed with Bungie's direction in making Destiny's original story.I'm not saying that I was there when all this happened, but I do happen to be majoring in Film and Television Production, and this is a huge, important factor that we are taught. Even if you're the Director, the Producer is the ultimate say in the way an entertainment product is made. So I think I have some slight leeway in what I stated.

TLDR:
It's not entirely 343 Industries fault. It's also Microsoft's fault for the forced changes that they imposed on 343 Industries.
But Microsoft as always been the producer on the Halo games. MS aren't the new element to the equation. 343i are. Also, things like mechanics, like sprint, are things that 343i have talked about like they collected the information that lead them to the conclusion that keeping the mechanic is a good thing.

The only change we can guarantee that MS forced 343i to include would be Microtransactions, as we can see all MS games include these in one form or another. All aspects like mechanics, story, coding etc, will be entirely up to 343i, unless MS were to micromanage the game development. Hell, if you want to focus more blame on MS, you only need to look at Bonnie Ross. The head of 343i, is also the corporate vice president of MS. This isn't the same as Bungie and Activision. In that relationship the contractual obligations will have forced Bungie's hand in the game dev. With 343i they are directly lead by an MS employee. These choices aren't coming from an external source from MS. They are coming from the very top of 343i. No one is giving her Bonnie/343i orders, she's giving them.

Everyone else in 343i is expendable, Bonnie Ross is not. For as long as 343i exists, it will be a direct extension of MS.
They have made one game for the Xbox One. I enjoyed Halo 4 and I enjoyed the Halo 5 multiplayer. The campaign was forgettable. Something they will no doubt learn from and improve on in Halo 6. I fell the MCC failure and feedback from Halo 5 will give them plenty to reflect on and learn from for Halo 6. I mean, everyone praises Bungie, but all 5 of their Halo games were different. I think the rose tinted glasses of Nostalgia wipe away any of their missteps, but they weren’t perfect either.
It's not nostalgia. Nothing to do with rose tinted glasses. The Bungie games were simply better. Halo 5 does not have any of the capabilities that the old games had that I used. They're all gone, including:
1. Offline LAN co-op. That's how I play the old games EXCLUSIVELY. I don't play online multiplayer, EVER, so it's of no value to me.
2. Forge mode. I've created a ton of maps in the older games that we regularly play via offline LAN co-op. So, that's gone too.
3. Firefight. We still play that all the time! Gone.
4. Split screen. Gone from Halo 5.
There were plenty complaints about the games, and plenty of positive changes as a result. Regardless of the missteps, the games continued to grow in sales and community. Take Halo CE and 2 for instance, There is a sub community that swears by Halo CE being a better game, but Halo 2 sold more and had a very strong and solid community for years. Same for Halo 3. Many will tell you it doesn't hold a candle to Halo 2, but it sold more and had a very strong community that lasted nearly 3 years. The biggest misstep for Bungie was Reach. Its community dropped off far faster than any previous game.

Then you look at the 343i games. Halo 4, sold well on the hype and name of the game, but died even faster than Reach did, people hated the game. Then MCC was a mess, and Halo 5 had the lowest sales of the mainline titles. Check metacritic and you'll see a similar story. Halo CE-Reach are in the 90s, Halo 4, MCC and Halo 5 are in the 80s. This isn't nostalgia talking. There has been a measurable decrease in quality in the games.
It's not nostalgia. Nothing to do with rose tinted glasses. The Bungie games were simply better. Halo 5 does not have any of the capabilities that the old games had that I used. They're all gone, including:
1. Offline LAN co-op. That's how I play the old games EXCLUSIVELY. I don't play online multiplayer, EVER, so it's of no value to me.
2. Forge mode. I've created a ton of maps in the older games that we regularly play via offline LAN co-op. So, that's gone too.
I respect that you feel that way, that’s you’re play style though. I enjoyed the Halo 4 and Halo 5 multiplayer experience, personally. Everyone is different.
Even though I do play online mp I still see where you're coming from. Inviting a friend for some split-screen fun was a great way to play Halo.

I agree that the Bungie games were generally better, but I liked Halo 4 a lot, because it made you feel all those things and had Forge and Theater and impressive Custom Games capabilities.

Halo 4 was done in a very scholarly fashion: studying what made the old games great with great dedication, then re-iterating the proven formula and making just small additions, but additions that matter.

For example, an addition that stuck and has now become canon is the nice little detail of strapping a bunch of Gas Tanks to the back of the Warthog. There you could see that 343 have dived so deep into the subject that they started to have thoughts like this: "Well the marines potentially will fight on alien planets and the Warthog is also a hog on gas - are the aliens gonna have gas stations there? Probably not - So here's a crazy idea: What if they took along some tanks on each sortie to refill the Hog in the field when it runs out of gas?"

Some years later, the gift car in Forza Horizon 3 was, of all the versions that have existed of the Warthog across all Halo games, still the one with the gas tanks strapped to the back. Such small things are a genuine way to enrich a franchise you haven't yourself created.

But with Halo 5, 343 deviated from their previous approach and tried to re-invent it all. And it wasn't good.

The team that was responsible for making the Halo 5 multi player helped to cut some losses, but overall, Halo 5 was a debacle.

If only 343 could return to the approach they had figured out so well for Halo 4...

(oh, and if 343 could just remove the sprint mechanic for Halo 6 then everyone would be happy)
I feel like 343 killed halo.
Halo 4's engine was perfect just the way it was, we didn't need any ADS or whatever it's called "smart scope" think that's stupid.
Don't like the natural float when ADS in the air, don't like the fact you can shoulder charge for no reason what so ever.
If they took out all the abilities except the thruster dash like halo 4, and took the not able to recharge while sprinting mechanic it would significantly better the gamer hugely.

I feel the biggest mistake 343 did was create MCC and not run all 5 seperate Game Engines with their counterpart indivudal menus and playlists, They would of been better off taking more time, releasing halo 5 first and then bringing master chief collection out after it.

Halo 5 just feels too clunky, go back to the roots and take away all the unnecessary new abilities. bring back oldschool co-op, and bring back the old school halo2/halo 3 ranked matchmaking experience. I remember when everyone had mics in every game you played because communication was so necessary to win. Nowadays it just feels luck of skill you get matched with or against.

Halo 6 hasn't been announced. is there anything else?
Agree with most of that. I think the ranked matchmaking in Halo 5 was just fine.

I think story-wise they've written themselves into a corner. The dynamic between Cortana and Master Chief lies in ruins at the end.

The only way out would be if they did what was foreshadowed in Halo 4: pair Master Chief with another AI. Do a hard reset and start fresh.

MCC at the moment is the closest thing to a great Halo game there is. Thus it seems reasonable if 343 gives it an overhaul, before focusing on yet another full entry in the franchise. Maybe in the process of revisiting MCC they'll be able to draw inspiration from what made those games great for Halo 6.

I sure hope so. Fingers crossed. Till then, I'll be playing MCC.
Halo 5 multiplayer is fun. I think 343 did a good job. The campaign however was a big flop.
ukdork87 wrote:
I agree that the Bungie games were generally better, but I liked Halo 4 a lot, because it made you feel all those things and had Forge and Theater and impressive Custom Games capabilities.
Halo 4 was not bad. I agree with what you said. I especially liked the lighting that was added to Forge mode.

It just seems like all the games on the Xbox One have been poorly done. I'm not sure if the Xbox One is just not as capable as the older consoles or what, but the Xbox One Halo games clearly have less capabilities than the older Xbox 360 Halo games (and even original Xbox games).

It just seems strange to me if they want to sell Xbox One consoles that they would create inferior games for that console.
ukdork87 wrote:
Halo 4 might even be the best Halo game ever made.
I can assume the angry mob outside of our house is growing larger by the minute, so I'll keep this as brief as I can. First off, the MCC is not a decent example of 343 gathering feedback and creating a game based off that. The MCC is a broken mess riddled with limiting customization, game-breaking netcode issues and glitched achievements. The MCC is missing several essential playlists (Team Objective, Rumble Pit, etc.) The game itself is slow and unresponsive - it still takes me around 10 minutes to find a game of Team Halo 2: Anniversary and SWAT. I can find a game of Reach Slayer in >30 seconds. Second, Halo 4 is an atrocious butchering of the classic Halo formula in terms of character development, gameplay and art style. Halo isn't meant to be a romance-drama. Halo should not have sprint, tactical packages, support upgrades, Ordnance, you get the idea. Forerunners have been dead for a long time so there's no reason for the Tron rip-off chrome and blue structures. In all previous Halos the Forerunner environments looked worn, rusty and unmaintained.

Microsoft should have not created 343 and instead given the Halo IP to a development company under their supervision with some merit. 343 was not chosen to develop Halo based off a lengthy track record of success - they were just made to milk Halo and be a cash cow for Microsoft. From the get-go I knew Halo was on life-support the second Bungie give the IP to MS. New Bungie is just as bad as 343 IMO so I'd honestly not have them take it back even if that option was on the table.
ukdork87 wrote:
I can assume the angry mob outside of our house is growing larger by the minute, so I'll keep this as brief as I can. First off, the MCC is not a decent example of 343 gathering feedback and creating a game based off that. The MCC is a broken mess riddled with limiting customization, game-breaking netcode issues and glitched achievements. The MCC is missing several essential playlists (Team Objective, Rumble Pit, etc.) The game itself is slow and unresponsive - it still takes me around 10 minutes to find a game of Team Halo 2: Anniversary and SWAT. I can find a game of Reach Slayer in >30 seconds. Second, Halo 4 is an atrocious butchering of the classic Halo formula in terms of character development, gameplay and art style. Halo isn't meant to be a romance-drama. Halo should not have sprint, tactical packages, support upgrades, Ordnance, you get the idea. Forerunners have been dead for a long time so there's no reason for the Tron rip-off chrome and blue structures. In all previous Halos the Forerunner environments looked worn, rusty and unmaintained.

Microsoft should have not created 343 and instead given the Halo IP to a development company under their supervision with some merit. 343 was not chosen to develop Halo based off a lengthy track record of success - they were just made to milk Halo and be a cash cow for Microsoft. From the get-go I knew Halo was on life-support the second Bungie give the IP to MS. New Bungie is just as bad as 343 IMO so I'd honestly not have them take it back even if that option was on the table.
Bungie sold out plain and simple. I saw their most recent game Destiny today at walmart and it literally had 4 different DLC's on the cover. Activision used and sucked them dry worse then microsoft ever would..
ukdork87 wrote:
I disagree with you. I enjoy 343's Halo 4 story. Bungie foreshadowed the Didact and Librarian in the Halo 3 terminals. They also set up Requiem at the end of Halo 3. They also made a great multiplayer experience with Halo 4 and 5. People complain if a company doesn't change a game. People complain if they do.

I, personally, feel that they should retire Master Chief. The Halo 5 story was pretty forgettable but I was hopeful when I saw the leaked ratio of Osiris to Blue team mission that they were transitioning in new characters to play as in this universe. Expanding beyond just the Chief. It was a let down though and because so many players complained, they got cold feet and are going to focus on the Chief again.

I also enjoy the Spartan abilities in Halo 5. It added another layer of gameplay strategy to the trinity of Melee-Grenade-Shooting. You had to be ready for the movement of your opponents. The also did a decent job of balancing out sprint by preventing shield and health recharge while in use.

I understand that you're probably a Halo 2/3 purist but Halo CE and Reach were different as well. I hear to many people cling to Halo 3 being perfect and that Bungie was the best, but they weren't any better. Everyone complained about changes in their games as well. Populations online were also larger due to less competition several years ago as well. CoD 4 came out and that pulled away a lot of players. Now there is Overwatch as well. So what is your solution to bringing back players while also exciting new ones? The industry has changed since Halo 3 came out almost 11 years ago. I'll continue playing Halo as long as I enjoy the gameplay, and 343 hasn't disappointed me yet.
ukdork87 wrote:
I disagree with you. I enjoy 343's Halo 4 story. Bungie foreshadowed the Didact and Librarian in the Halo 3 terminals. They also set up Requiem at the end of Halo 3. They also made a great multiplayer experience with Halo 4 and 5. People complain if a company doesn't change a game. People complain if they do.

I, personally, feel that they should retire Master Chief. The Halo 5 story was pretty forgettable but I was hopeful when I saw the leaked ratio of Osiris to Blue team mission that they were transitioning in new characters to play as in this universe. Expanding beyond just the Chief. It was a let down though and because so many players complained, they got cold feet and are going to focus on the Chief again.

I also enjoy the Spartan abilities in Halo 5. It added another layer of gameplay strategy to the trinity of Melee-Grenade-Shooting. You had to be ready for the movement of your opponents. The also did a decent job of balancing out sprint by preventing shield and health recharge while in use.

I understand that you're probably a Halo 2/3 purist but Halo CE and Reach were different as well. I hear to many people cling to Halo 3 being perfect and that Bungie was the best, but they weren't any better. Everyone complained about changes in their games as well. Populations online were also larger due to less competition several years ago as well. CoD 4 came out and that pulled away a lot of players. Now there is Overwatch as well. So what is your solution to bringing back players while also exciting new ones? The industry has changed since Halo 3 came out almost 11 years ago. I'll continue playing Halo as long as I enjoy the gameplay, and 343 hasn't disappointed me yet.
I can agree with you that Halo 4 had a half-decent story, however 343 did not do a good job at fleshing out the characters whatsoever. They do not tell the player why the Didact hates humans in the game (besides three books that I doubt anyone besides hardcore fans read) and almost no information is given on the Librarian outside of that one cutscene on Haven and some Halo 3 terminals which I also doubt that most players went looking to search for information on. Halo 4 had a atrocious multiplayer with the implementations of Sprint and Ordnance; the abilities in Halo 5 do nothing besides corrupt the overall classical multiplayer feeling further. I see you think it's time for the Chief to take his leave and you also enjoy the gimmicky abilities - both which are very controversial and unpopular opinions. I won't bother reasoning with you since you clearly state that new games are part of the reason for Halo's decline which is clearly unbased. From 2001 until 2009-ish Halo was considered the greatest shooter on the market until Bungie really started butchering the classic Halo formula with Reach. It rivaled all the classic CoDs and many other timeless franchises at the time and still came out victorious. I really enjoy Reach and have over 1.5k hours in MP alone, however I can very clearly see how its ability-heavy gameplay turned many long-time players away. Halo 4 and Halo 5 did the same thing, except to a much higher and unnecessary extent. If you like 343s games then good on you, just keep in mind that mentalities like that are what's bringing Halo from its rightful #1 spot on the salesboards down to being low on the "top 50 Xbox games." The classic Halo formula is what made the series the juggernaut it was in its prime. Small, useful, enriching additions to the base gameplay are welcomed by myself and many other "Halo purists," but unnecessary and gimmicky abilities like Sprint, Ground-Pound, etc. do nothing to enrich the gameplay and instead make Halo feel like another generic FPS.

Since you seem deeply rooted in your opinions, let's agree to disagree since I believe neither of us are going to convince the other that one style of gameplay is better, but I'll let the sales numbers and population meters speak for themselves.