Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] 3v3 / 7v7 sized games in matchmaking

OP LarsBars

Why does Halo MCC matchmaking only allow 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8 games?

I remember in the Halo 2 matchmaking days, if there weren't enough players to create a completely full game, the matchmaking system could create matches with 3v3 and 7v7 sizes in the common playlists (Team Slayer, Big Team Battle, etc.)

Today I was in matchmaking, and I probably could have played a 3v3 game, but instead, matchmaking scrubbed the whole session, and started over. (So instead of playing Halo, I wrote this thread!) Now, it was likely because there was a party of 4 involved, and the game would have been uneven. But as you can see in the screenshot, the settings on the matchmaking screen also tell the same story about the current match size limitations:
  • Max Players: 8
  • Minimum Player Count: 8
  • Max Party Size: 4
  • Max Local Players: 4
  • Team Size: 4
In other words, what if 343i could change 4v4 matchmaking as we know it, to look something more like this:
  • Max Players: 8
  • Minimum Player Count: 6
  • Max Party Size: 4
  • Max Local Players: 4
  • Team Size: 3-4
I feel like it would help make more matchmade games, especially in those regions where active population may have challenges and matching is more difficult. I would hate to see 6 players connect into a session over and over again(like in my screenshot above), just to watch the matchmaking engine boot them out over and over, because they don't meet the "minimum player count" of 8 players.
I miss this as well. Oddly when master chief collection was first released and was totally broken it would match 3vs3 or 3vs4 more often than it would match 4vs4 and I am with you on 3v3 being a lot of fun. You can play all the larger 4v4 maps and have more space to breathe and travel the map but on smaller maps like Midship it's not totally ridiculous like it is now. I also really miss multi team.
I agree with this. There have been multiple times when I’ve tried to connect to a BTB match only to be stuck at 14/16 and then have matchmaking restart. Making a minimum player count would result in many more matches.
Ya I miss this as well. If the game had trouble trying to find just 1 more player to make the game a 4v4/8v8, it should just drop who's the one by themselves and start a 3v3/7v7 match like before. I'd much rather get started playing a game than sitting and waiting for both teams to be full and then restarting the search when it takes too long. I want to play the game, not wait in a lobby where the game is trying to find 1 or 2 more players.
It would be nice to see a 3v3 pop up like in halo 2.
I think it should only be for the social playlists tho.

Also something I would like to see is max local party size be increased to 8 for the 4v4 social playlists (I forget which halo had this.. maybe it was 2). That way if you have a party of 8 you can hop in matchmaking and play not only on dedicated servers but totally random teams each game. (Its actually really fun to have the game pick random teams for your party).
Also if you have 5, 6, or 7 players and want to play 4v4 you can chance it and one/two/three players from your party will randomly be selected for the other team. Sometimes you get lucky and find other good players to team up with and sometimes you get smoked haha.
I J Lew I wrote:

Also something I would like to see is max local party size be increased to 8 for the 4v4 social playlists (I forget which halo had this.. maybe it was 2). That way if you have a party of 8 you can hop in matchmaking and play not only on dedicated servers but totally random teams each game. (Its actually really fun to have the game pick random teams for your party).
Also if you have 5, 6, or 7 players and want to play 4v4 you can chance it and one/two/three players from your party will randomly be selected for the other team. Sometimes you get lucky and find other good players to team up with and sometimes you get smoked haha.
Could still be abused for stats though. Even in social, doing a party of 8 'matching' into a 4v4 kinda defeats the purpose of things. I think that's what customs are for.
AshamanND wrote:
I J Lew I wrote:

Could still be abused for stats though. Even in social, doing a party of 8 'matching' into a 4v4 kinda defeats the purpose of things. I think that's what customs are for.
Even though I personally never check or believe in what person's stats represent, you are right about it being open to abuse..

I cant help but wonder if people would really take the time to do that though; and organize a party of 8 for that specific purpose. Especially since it's not ranked.... And you would need to organize a lot of these games to spike your averages, especially if you already have a high kill/ death statistic.

The idea of larger than 4 search is to pick up new players/friends, have random-gen teams, play official playlist games, and neutral host. All things you can't currently do in customs (except for setting the gametype).
I J Lew I wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
I J Lew I wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Even though I personally never check or believe in what person's stats represent, you are right about it being open to abuse..

I cant help but wonder if people would really take the time to do that though; and organize a party of 8 for that specific purpose. Especially since it's not ranked.... And you would need to organize a lot of these games to spike your averages, especially if you already have a high kill/ death statistic.

The idea of larger than 4 search is to pick up new players/friends, have random-gen teams, play official playlist games, and neutral host. All things you can't currently do in customs (except for setting the gametype).
You'd be surprised what lengths some people go to in order to bump their stats.
And all you'd need is two people with 4 controllers...

Customs browser will help you pick up new friends, and so do LFGs.
For random teams, you can still do some type of rng on excel manually, and then tell people to switch to that team.
You already noted the official games thing.
I got nothing on the neutral host point.

Perhaps a different way to help pick up new friends would be to re-introduce the pre-game lobby. Where names/nameplates show up, and you can chat/smack talk ahead of the game.
I J Lew I wrote:
Sorry my dude, but this would be the worst.

I would HATE to be the one person, who gets matched into a group of 7 people all in a party, with three of them on my team.
Chances of them attacking me to the point of my shields popping, but not killing me, just so that the real enemy can finish me off - are extremely high.
I want to think positively about the Halo community, and I generally do - but I also know there are lots of jerks.

This already happens with idiot teammates who AREN'T in a party with the opposing team.
I couldn't image how bad it would be if they were all together.

Best keep that stuff to customs.
Updating the title to focus this thread about 3v3 and 7v7 sized games. I don't think a 5v5 game would qualify as a BTB game, so I'll drop that. But the general idea of the topic is, "Why can't matchmaking be a bit more flexible to create more games?" The screenshot on the OP is a demonstration of exactly the type of situation that COULD have been a Halo game, but didn't because of the hard requirement for 8 players.
I agree with this. Hopefully they implement the feature in MCC.
I'm with you. Let's see if developers see this topic.
I'm with you. Let's see if developers see this topic.
Round these parts you won't know if a developer has heard your feedback until you notice it's actually been acted upon. They might see this topic, but not before a mod comments: "Please dont revive old topics thanks" and closes the thread.
Please don't revive old topics thanks