Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Aim assist for no scoping with snipers with contr?

OP ParrotTom

Couldn't fit everything I wanted to in the title. The question I wanted to ask is if controller users should get aim assist while no scoping with snipers? After a few matches where a MnK user got the sniper and was consistently landing head shots when a controller user would've had extreme difficulty at those ranges/ under those circumstances, I think it's a fair question to ask when those players got +20-30 kills with at least 3/4 of those kills being at ranges where zooming in would hinder more than help.

I doubt I was against pros like some might say simply because in one of those matches, my team was down a player at the star, one left after he died 17 times, the other wasn't much help, and I got 30 some kills almost exclusively with a Storm Rifle.
Controller players probably do have some aim assist unscoped, but when it comes to sniper control I believe MNK is better suited for it. A lot of my keyboard friends have brought up how easy it is to wield the sniper. I think snipers are fine as they are for controller players.
Depending on the game, no scopeing is very doable with practice. I was able to do it decently well in reach and og 4. Granted i was also usually secondary designated snipper in my group of xbl friends with so i used the snipper a ton
Depending on the game, no scopeing is very doable with practice. I was able to do it decently well in reach and og 4. Granted i was also usually secondary designated snipper in my group of xbl friends with so i used the snipper a ton
Reach, 4 and halo 2A clearly have significantly greater aim assist than halo ce, OG 2 and H3. All of them do have varying degrees of aim assist and bullet magnetism tho.

With that said even in the most difficult game (H3) it definitely is doable to hit headshots and even no-scope headshots consistently with practice. My skills have diminished over the years and I’m not as good now, but there was a time I could hit headshots consistently all day with a controller. And I wasn’t even a 50 let alone a pro like the op suggested.

it really is possible to be that good with a controller.
If snipers do have aim assist while no scoping, it's either very low or the "window" is so small it's very easy to miss with. I can't seem to hit a thing unless I'm zoomed in, especially in H3 and the prequels because of every weapon being a projectile instead of hitscan. It might have been a few bad matches, especially the one I mentioned, but it feels like any MnK player is significantly more of a threat with a sniper even at ranges a weapon like the AR would be your best choice.
SENCHIEF10 wrote:
Reach, 4 and halo 2A clearly have significantly greater aim assist than halo ce, OG 2 and H3. All of them do have varying degrees of aim assist and bullet magnetism tho.

With that said even in the most difficult game (H3) it definitely is doable to hit headshots and even no-scope headshots consistently with practice. My skills have diminished over the years and I’m not as good now, but there was a time I could hit headshots consistently all day with a controller. And I wasn’t even a 50 let alone a pro like the op suggested.

it really is possible to be that good with a controller.
Yup. From what i remember, far more about the movement stick and very little the loom stick ocne you get used to it.
I've only noticed a problem in H4(so far). I don't know how to balance it, but it is definitely noticable when playing a decent mnk sniper. I say completely remove any magnetism or auto aim what so ever when descoped with snipe on MnK.

P.s. the posters saying "nah you can get that good on controller too" I have a feeling they haven't played much since the update. The advantage is undeniable when playing certain games, h4 in particular and i would think h2a and reach a bit as well. Seriously go play some ranked in those games just mentioned and pay attention to who is using mnk.
Enroj wrote:
I've only noticed a problem in H4(so far). I don't know how to balance it, but it is definitely noticable when playing a decent mnk sniper. I say completely remove any magnetism or auto aim what so ever when descoped with snipe on MnK.

P.s. the posters saying "nah you can get that good on controller too" I have a feeling they haven't played much since the update. The advantage is undeniable when playing certain games, h4 in particular and i would think h2a and reach a bit as well. Seriously go play some ranked in those games just mentioned and pay attention to who is using mnk.
My point exactly. As I said, I highly doubt those players were pros, especially if I can still get half the points needed to win in what may as well have been a 1v4 since my only teammate didn't even get 5 kills with the vast majority of my kills coming from a Storm Rifle. You don't even need to look at the icons, you can easily tell who's using MnK simply by how they move and how quickly/ accurately they can aim. Controller users can get similar results and get aim assist, but MnK isn't held back by sensitivity. Aim assist aside, MnK can land shots much more easily than controllers, and that's one of the reasons I didn't want crossplay, but now I can seem to find a match unless input MM is disabled.
They technically do already. Their Red reticle range is just extremely low unscoped. As for if it should be increased for cross play, I'd say no. While it's harder on controller, it is certainly learnable. Of course, I haven't really played much cross-platform, so maybe my opinion will change.
They technically do already. Their Red reticle range is just extremely low unscoped. As for if it should be increased for cross play, I'd say no. While it's harder on controller, it is certainly learnable. Of course, I haven't really played much cross-platform, so maybe my opinion will change.
Even so, I'm pretty sure there's several weapons that still get aim assist even past red crosshair ranges.