Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Any Tips for using the Halo 3 BR?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have become decent at every Halo except this one. I have noticed my number one problem is using the BR. I know about leading shots, bullet lag, etc. I just can’t get down how much to lead, where to place the reticule, and how to naturally lead shots without consciously thinking about it. This game is extremely frustrating to me and seems to have zero casual playability. Halo CE is very competitive but easy to play for a noob; however, Halo 3 is all competitive sweaty players. Every corner has multiple players with BRs hitting me, yet I shoot a guy only to have him go around a corner. I think I have posted about Halo 3 before and still no luck.
Every Halo has that to some degree, but Halo 3 feels worse. The game feels like it is in slow motion when trying to get kills. The one thing I'd say is don't zoom in unless you absolutely have to. Intelligent map movement is important too. If you're getting pinged everywhere you go, consider trying to use cover more effectively. Dont rush or pursue if it means running into the open with no cover. If people get away, they get away, but you live for another chance to get kills.
Every Halo has that to some degree, but Halo 3 feels worse. The game feels like it is in slow motion when trying to get kills. The one thing I'd say is don't zoom in unless you absolutely have to. Intelligent map movement is important too. If you're getting pinged everywhere you go, consider trying to use cover more effectively. Dont rush or pursue if it means running into the open with no cover. If people get away, they get away, but you live for another chance to get kills.
Yeah, I should probably focus on not dying more than kills. The BR just doesn’t have a good feel to it. I have a hard time telling where to aim and what will hit. It’s all random for me. Like I said, other Halos don’t feel like this. Halo 2 may have a lot of experienced players but I feel like I know when my shots will connect and when they won’t. Halo 3 feels extremely random even though I’ve played this game for longer than Halo CE and Halo 2.

I’m starting to give up on this game. I avoid it, now that cross playlists are gone. I just keep returning once in a while and remember why I stopped playing it.
Aiming for more if the chest/neck area and not the excat head seems to work for me.
Unfortunately, most games I play are against higher skilled opponents, not leaving me any room for practice. I just played a game and went 6 and 13. This is very typical of my Halo 3 matches. I play like a complete noob. How this game can be considered fun is beyond me. I can’t get consistent kills and I’m bad with every weapon.
The bottom line for Halo 3 is that you almost have to aim in front of your opponent. Anticipate where they are moving and aim where they will go. So you can kinda have your crosshair red as long as its shooting where the player is moving. This is known as leading shots as the BR is projectile and thus the shots have to travel based on distance between the player and you and also has to take into account latency within the game itself.
If you're getting pinged everywhere you go, consider trying to use cover more effectively.
That’s the problem, I can’t find any decent cover. If I take cover in one place, someone hits me from behind. I don’t understand how people get kills in a short amount of time. I only get kills at close range with the BR. Should I just hide and wait for enemies to get close? I don’t know what else to do.

I did play a game today with a k/d of 1. I was impressed with myself. I only used the BR for close-mid ranger fights, and stayed out of sight from open spaces. I can’t kill anything farther than 50ft with the BR.
So the biggest tip for Halo 3/ The Halo 3 BR is that the Reticle has a small red dot in the center when your shot will be a headshot. The key is to play customs and non ranked with the BR and get used to aiming your weapon at the level that will give you headshots and in ranked you really just need to focus on shooting when you have that red dot on your reticle so that you land quick kills. Also as far as ranked goes, you really just have to judge where the enemy team is and try to back off, you dont always need to be the aggressor, let them come to your home field.
If you're getting pinged everywhere you go, consider trying to use cover more effectively.
That’s the problem, I can’t find any decent cover. If I take cover in one place, someone hits me from behind. I don’t understand how people get kills in a short amount of time. I only get kills at close range with the BR. Should I just hide and wait for enemies to get close? I don’t know what else to do.

I did play a game today with a k/d of 1. I was impressed with myself. I only used the BR for close-mid ranger fights, and stayed out of sight from open spaces. I can’t kill anything farther than 50ft with the BR.
Work on map flow. Get a feel about how the general direction the game is moving and cut through the flow to sneak up on people. When I do good it’s because I’m being sneaky, not campy always, but sneaky. Run when in doubt. That’s what I got. I typically just play SWAT and it’s totally based on map flow. Try it out.
Pray you don't get screwed over by random spread.
The Halo 3 BR is usually pretty inconsistent when playing online. You do have to lead your shots, regardless, but when playing online and due to the connection, the distance to how much you need to lead varies, and is usually bad when trying to shoot across a long distance. I recommend just being close enough to where you know you aren't missing. And that also varies by player, as not everyone is skilled in the same way. It's weird but the BR is awesome during LAN play, it just kinda sucks when playing online if the lobby doesn't have a decent connection if you ask me.
Connection shouldnt be an issue to consider when using the Halo 3 BR right now if youre in NA. IF you're outside of NA and are playing Matchmaking than it is going to be something to heavily consider, but NA gamers should be getting online play that is much closer to LAN play than ever before since NA hosts all the dedicated servers.
Connection shouldnt be an issue to consider when using the Halo 3 BR right now if youre in NA. IF you're outside of NA and are playing Matchmaking than it is going to be something to heavily consider, but NA gamers should be getting online play that is much closer to LAN play than ever before since NA hosts all the dedicated servers.
It's true, but not 100% of the time. A good indicator of this is that I like playing Halo 3 on MCC waaaaay more than og Halo 3. I also think the 60fps helped in that regard because I just can't play the original anymore lol
IDX Rider wrote:
It's true, but not 100% of the time. A good indicator of this is that I like playing Halo 3 on MCC waaaaay more than og Halo 3. I also think the 60fps helped in that regard because I just can't play the original anymore lol
the MCC is also isn't entirely done, every update the game works better and better, so hopefully in the December update these issues are fixed.
I hate Halo 3 on the MCC. Whenever I play Social I always exclude Halo 3 due to the insane hit registration problems. If you wanna play Halo 3, I'd suggest you download the backwards-compat version (if anyone still plays it) and give it a shot.
I’ve not only got the mcc but also the back compat versions of 3 and 4. I don’t play anything but mcc now because the match connections have dedicated servers, choice in where you want to play and it just looks way more visually appealing.
I hate Halo 3 on the MCC. Whenever I play Social I always exclude Halo 3 due to the insane hit registration problems. If you wanna play Halo 3, I'd suggest you download the backwards-compat version (if anyone still plays it) and give it a shot.
Same here. I still own my copy of the original Halo 3 but the population is so low. The few games I have played in the original Halo 3 have much better hit registration and are more fun. The major reason I don’t play the original Halo 3 is that the stats don’t update on Waypoint. I don’t have anything to work towards. At least in the MCC, I can try to improve my K/D and W/L and finding games is faster.
Same here. I still own my copy of the original Halo 3 but the population is so low. The few games I have played in the original Halo 3 have much better hit registration and are more fun. The major reason I don’t play the original Halo 3 is that the stats don’t update on Waypoint. I don’t have anything to work towards. At least in the MCC, I can try to improve my K/D and W/L and finding games is faster.
I understand that, part of the reason I dislike playing games like Destiny 2 and Fallout 76 on my PC is because there are no achievements or in-depth stat tracking. I haven't played the OG Halo 3 in a while since I've been busy ranking up on Reach and getting my several remaining achievements in the MCC.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels like the BR is more "difficult" to use. I'm used to leading my shots on battlefield games, not so much here, but I'll give it a shot tonight.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2