Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Average ranked multiplayer game in MCC

OP fizzy14

I understand that this game is old, but this is really starting to bug me....
  • I click search
  • I wait for 15 minutes
  • I see this (Look at the ranks)(idk why link is soo long): http://images-eds.xboxlive.com/image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ_QLQhZ8X.0dh1rxYwf72m1jDov7v5dy7Uy0wpPuR3SaOeTYkzYVZyd8smbve8OJ6tY1J5OdsnKgOG5arnW6x3K3RVYvUiaDLOwO6S8ec_pDoHugmi68YNgE5_VsVsvYNaMgADBbHvv0xEclQV3B1oiys0ktbFxe59jHdsjgrSrwmURgRPPq4iUHsM8_s.YjELkI2aRbkAOiWU8mx4G7GfW52Va63TwYnwXXJiAclZ1KKkD_mAZYUdyykroW3TJQtKUtRkIhZ_SZI.1KfHFHaSg-&format=png&h=640&w=1138
  • Either my team destroys or gets destroyed, with multiple players leaving the game.
  • End scoreboard looks something like this: http://images-eds.xboxlive.com/image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ0pdKB2YkZq5Ep2XNngwnYSHX0kIXtMvdFilEyc4faKYw0WpvlnXCHckmUalvpR9.MvurMg5vAV8GLKnmspfN5lpiGV.lGdSZ3Ah16lAm5EigkRHPOTrjccNKGsNiOxYrsYnPq2mNb48HXAs70dOIJpfBJilfdHa7omoPP1TL9saG364CbTLCC1BnoWfQrLDguds4XNGamhxRU1CXdVEs0Sr43rbsWY9gAqYFvTZa4z7opCM_JEnkuYSU1ybBe95uk0ijrLDA6fbKeJN_MN.0uI-&format=png&h=640&w=1138
Ranked in the MCC is an absolute joke. There are literally no search restrictions, so it's essentially social with numbers on everyone's nameplates. I'm routinely put on teams of straight 1s while being forced to play entire teams of 50s. I can even go 45 and 10 in CE slayer and still lose because the match is so lopsided. Also, much like Halo 5, ranked is totally infested with smurfs and boosters.
Skill matching is absolutely required for ranked, as the lack of it totally defeats the purpose of ranked. It doesn't matter how small the population is--a 1 should never match against a 50. Ever.
It happens. You just need to roll with a friend, or friends, and hope that you're good enough to beat the opposing team. I wouldn't let the ranks bother you. Chances are, they had someone carry them to their high rank. You never know until you try
Ranked in the MCC is an absolute joke. There are literally no search restrictions, so it's essentially social with numbers on everyone's nameplates. I'm routinely put on teams of straight 1s while being forced to play entire teams of 50s. I can even go 45 and 10 in CE slayer and still lose because the match is so lopsided. Also, much like Halo 5, ranked is totally infested with smurfs and boosters.
Skill matching is absolutely required for ranked, as the lack of it totally defeats the purpose of ranked. It doesn't matter how small the population is--a 1 should never match against a 50. Ever.
I agree. It's pretty disgusting the disparity of skill levels in ranked. The days of Halo 2 and 3 (non-MCC) were much more balanced in ranked matchmaking.
I have mixed feelings about the lack of skill matching. On the one hand, it's really fun to go 50-2 in a ctf game. But it sucks to lose to really bad players just because your team is even worse.

Sometimes it's possible to carry really bad teammates. I won this game 100-99

Sometimes it just doesn't matter how well you do, the game is lost either way. Which is pretty frustrating.

Like this game

And this one.
I have mixed feelings about the lack of skill matching. On the one hand, it's really fun to go 50-2 in a ctf game. But it sucks to lose to really bad players just because your team is even worse.

Sometimes it's possible to carry really bad teammates. I won this game 100-99Sometimes it just doesn't matter how well you do, the game is lost either way. Which is pretty frustrating.

Like this gameAnd this one.
I agree with you but don't mind the winning/losing part. As long as I come out with a positive K/D, I don't care. It is frustrating though when you lose a game because a teammate went -30
Okay here are the reasons why ranked in MCC is messed up.

1. Fairly low pop count. The low population means that you will be matched with and against anyone. This includes both skill and distance which will increase latency as well as miss matched games.
2. The spread of experience. You have classic pros that have played for 20 years and complete noobs that have never touched older halo in the same gameplay environment.
3. 4-5 games. Many players are only good at one of the titles. They may branch out to another playlist every now and then and don't even know the controls.
4. Game quality. Because the game was released in a bad state you have people that only hop on every now and then for nostalgia. These people are likely above average players, but they don't play enough to gain a higher rank. Also newer players may not stick around long enough to practice and improve.
5. Game Bugs. Yes the matchmaking may be bugged in some way, and there are glitches in the gameplay that may lead to bs deaths or unnatural score gains.
6. Smurfs. Some people at higher ranks are experiencing difficulty finding games because they are so high ranked. They make another account that's lower rank in order to play the game
7. General game manipulation. There are other people that will do things with the game that are unusual for their own reasons. Someone may want to just get plasma pistol kills so they will perform poorly or at least oddly.
8. Trolls. You know, the people that mess up games and betray or do other things just for their own enjoyment.

1. Fairly low pop count. The low population means that you will be matched with and against anyone. This includes both skill and distance which will increase latency as well as miss matched games.
2. The spread of experience. You have classic pros that have played for 20 years and complete noobs that have never touched older halo in the same gameplay environment.
3. 4-5 games. Many players are only good at one of the titles. They may branch out to another playlist every now and then and don't even know the controls.
4. Game quality. Because the game was released in a bad state you have people that only hop on every now and then for nostalgia. These people are likely above average players, but they don't play enough to gain a higher rank. Also newer players may not stick around long enough to practice and improve.
5. Game Bugs. Yes the matchmaking may be bugged in some way, and there are glitches in the gameplay that may lead to bs deaths or unnatural score gains.
6. Smurfs. Some people at higher ranks are experiencing difficulty finding games because they are so high ranked. They make another account that's lower rank in order to play the game
7. General game manipulation. There are other people that will do things with the game that are unusual for their own reasons. Someone may want to just get plasma pistol kills so they will perform poorly or at least oddly.
8. Trolls. You know, the people that mess up games and betray or do other things just for their own enjoyment.
1. The population count is fairly low for some of the playlists, yes. Others are fairly high. Halo CE, Halo 3, and Halo 4 seem to have pretty healthy populations.
2. The experience thing isn't a big deal. That's what we have unranked Team Slayer for. There's always custom games too.
3. I guess it depends on the players because everyone I play with has played since CE so everyone is settings and maps. Not sure how people wouldn't know controls when the controls have basically been the same since the beginning.
4. The game quality is WORLD'S better than it once at launch. I very rarely run into glitches or bugs and I've been playing MCC for a solid month now. I can't speak for campaign though I did finish all the campaigns on Legendary over the course of about a week.
5. There are a few bugs but you'd be hard pressed to find some that would ruin your matchmaking experience. Big Team Battle would probably be the place you'd see it the most.
6. The "smurfs" term still cracks me up. This has been around since the dawn of Halo matchmaking. There's nothing that can be done about, you just need to learn to adapt and deal with it. I know that sounds harsh but what can you or anyone else honestly do?
7. The game manipulation is bad too. I frequently play Team Slayer and when something other than Halo 3 wins, players will usually feed the enemy team kills or just simply go AFK for the duration of the game. Joke is on them because their K/D suffers but if you carry hard enough, you might still win. I'll usually try to provoke them into betraying me a few times so I can boot em and then try to win the game.
8. That's always a problem too, especially if you have a weapon they want or "think they're better with" LOL

1. The population count is fairly low for some of the playlists, yes. Others are fairly high. Halo CE, Halo 3, and Halo 4 seem to have pretty healthy populations.
2. The experience thing isn't a big deal. That's what we have unranked Team Slayer for. There's always custom games too.
3. I guess it depends on the players because everyone I play with has played since CE so everyone is settings and maps. Not sure how people wouldn't know controls when the controls have basically been the same since the beginning.
4. The game quality is WORLD'S better than it once at launch. I very rarely run into glitches or bugs and I've been playing MCC for a solid month now. I can't speak for campaign though I did finish all the campaigns on Legendary over the course of about a week.
5. There are a few bugs but you'd be hard pressed to find some that would ruin your matchmaking experience. Big Team Battle would probably be the place you'd see it the most.
6. The "smurfs" term still cracks me up. This has been around since the dawn of Halo matchmaking. There's nothing that can be done about, you just need to learn to adapt and deal with it. I know that sounds harsh but what can you or anyone else honestly do?
7. The game manipulation is bad too. I frequently play Team Slayer and when something other than Halo 3 wins, players will usually feed the enemy team kills or just simply go AFK for the duration of the game. Joke is on them because their K/D suffers but if you carry hard enough, you might still win. I'll usually try to provoke them into betraying me a few times so I can boot em and then try to win the game.
8. That's always a problem too, especially if you have a weapon they want or "think they're better with" LOL
Yup Still worth it to play, but people shouldn't get hung up on ranks or hung up on re experiencing the nostalgia perfectly.

Yup Still worth it to play, but people shouldn't get hung up on ranks or hung up on re experiencing the nostalgia perfectly.
My thoughts exactly. Being able to play Halo CE and Halo 2 online again are amazing! The only thing I'm hung up about is Halo 3 and how jank the hit box/hit register is. Other than that, I have virtually no complaints