Title is supposed to be "Halo 5" button layout. I love that "zoom & shoot" was introduced, but it's frustrating that grenade is RB, melee is LS, and crouch is B. To mirror Halo 5, and pretty much every modern shooter, grenade should be LB, melee should be RB, and crouch should be LS.
I'd suggest just getting a special controller where you can map the buttons where ever you want. The likelihood of them implementing a Halo 5 control scheme is pretty low. I know the frustration of switching from Halo 5 to MCC where you constantly press X to reload or accidentally throw a grenade when you try to zoom. But if you give the MCC default controls a chance, you'll realize how smooth they can be. Zooming with the same stick you use to aim feels super natural, and reloading with the right bumper is super convienient too.

I actually had the opposite problem you had when I went back to Halo 5, I tried to create the MCC controls while playing Halo 5, but the thruster and sprint got in the way of that. Sad face.
I'd suggest just getting a special controller where you can map the buttons where ever you want.
Just an FYI, you can map the buttons on any Xbox controller on Xbox if you use the Xbox Accessories app. Pretty sure it’s pre-installed.

I said Xbox too much in that sentence.
I agree 100% with the OP. I created a thread in 2015, asking for the exact same thing.

The suggestions for mapping buttons are okay, but it's about convenience. Why wouldn't 343i want to make playing all of their games as convenient, intuitive, and similar as possible? Plus, when you move buttons around, the menus may be non-intuitive, the on-screen messages will be incorrect, "Hold X to enter driver seat of Warthog" etc.
Or try Bumper Jumper, it feels almost the same in MCC and Halo 5.

MCC Controller scheme:
A - Swap Left Weapon
B - Action/Reload
X - Halo 3 use equipment
Y - Change Weapon
Left Analog - Movement
Left Analog Click - Crouch
Right Analog Click - Zoom
Right Analog - Look
Right Trigger - Use Right Weapon
Left Trigger - Throw Grenade/Use Left Weapon
Right Bumper - Melee
Left Bumper - Jump
←/→ D-Pad - Switch Grenade
↑ D-Pad - Flashlight

Halo 5 Controller scheme:
A - Sprint
B - Action & Reload
X - Thruster Pack
Y - Switch Weapons
Left Analog - Movement
Left Analog Click - Crouch
Right Analog Click - Smart-Link & Zoom
Right Analog - Look
Right Trigger - Fire Weapon
Left Trigger - Throw Grenade
Left Bumper - Jump & Clamber
Right Bumper - Melee Attack & Spartan Charge & Ground Pound (HOLD)
Isn’t Recon the same layout in every single game? In Halo CE and Halo 2 recon was the default where melee was B, jump A, switch weapons was Y, right trigger to shoot, left trigger to throw grenade and right thumb stick was zoom and aim?
JohnDang55 wrote:
Isn’t Recon the same layout in every single game? In Halo CE and Halo 2 recon was the default where melee was B, jump A, switch weapons was Y, right trigger to shoot, left trigger to throw grenade and right thumb stick was zoom and aim?
I think you're right. I don't know the name of it but that's the one I use so I have the same controls across all games.
Zbox wrote:
Title is supposed to be "Halo 5" button layout. I love that "zoom & shoot" was introduced, but it's frustrating that grenade is RB, melee is [RS], and crouch is B. To mirror Halo 5, and pretty much every modern shooter, grenade should be LB, melee should be RB, and crouch should be [RS].
I've been advocating for this since they announced they were going to update/fix the MCC.

I despise dealing with big muscle memory issues when bouncing between my FPS titles. And this is why when I play the MCC I now choose the Universal Zoom & Shoot scheme (instead of Universal Bumper Jumper or Universal Reclaimer or any other more ideal game-play choices) because it best matches up with what I've grown accustomed to for most all FPS titles nowadays. I'll then use the Xbox controller app to even further customize it to mimic the default Halo 5 layout as best as possible which is what I basically use as my standard setup between any and all FPS titles nowadays. The biggest problems I face with this setup in the MCC is (1) the zoom mechanic toggling multi-magnification scopes, and (2) certain vehicle controls getting shifted to unnatural button locations. This is why I advocate for a new mechanic that separates the zoom magnification level from the regular zoom mechanic (this is the most important change) and for a new Universal scheme that's a more natural representation of the default H5 scheme (would love to have this, but it's not as critical).

For instance:
  • Left Trigger (LT) - Zoom (defaulted to non-toggle)/Use Secondary Weapon (H2C, H2A & H3)/Vehicular E-Brake or Power Slide/Vehicular Boost
  • Righter Trigger (RT) - Use Primary Weapon or Vehicular Weapon/Vehicle Horn (as Driver)
  • Right Bumper (RB) - Melee/Banshee Flip Technique/Vehicular Airbrake or Superglide Technique/H3’s Hornet Ascend/Reach's Falcon Ascend
  • Left Bumper (LB) - Throw Grenade/H3’s Hornet Descend/Reach's Falcon Descend
  • Left Thumbstick Click (LS) - new Magnification Zoom Level Toggle (when zoomed w/ multi-magnification level weapons)/Reload Secondary Weapon (H3 - when wielding a second weapon)/Sprint (H4 - when not zoomed w/ a multi-magnification level weapon)
  • Right Thumbstick Click (RS) - Crouch (defaulted to non-toggle)/Reach's Falcon Altitude Lock-Unlock
  • Y Button - Change Weapon (including for the Banshee)/Duel Wield (H2C, H2A & H3)/Swap Secondary Weapon (H2, H2A & H3)
  • X Button - Actions/Swap Primary Weapon/Reload (for H3 this references the Primary Weapon Reload only)
  • B Button - Use Flashlight (CE - multiplayer & campaign/H2 - campaign only)/Use Arbiter’s Active Camo (H2 - campaign only)/Use Equipment (H3)/Use VISR (ODST)/Use Armor Ability (Reach & H4)
  • A Button – Jump/new Vehicular Seat Swap (would love to see this feature implemented into these classic titles if the developers could add it)
  • Left & Right D-Pad - Switch Grenades (cycle left and right)
  • Up D-Pad - CE, H2C, H3, & Reach Teamchat? (Multiplayer Only)/H3 Flashlight (Campaign Only)/ODST Waypoints (Campaign Only)/Reach Night Vision (Campaign Only?)
  • Down D-Pad - Hold for "Lower Weapon" action. This is for Machinima purposes
I personally refer to this as the Universal Guardians setup.
Zbox wrote:
Title is supposed to be "Halo 5" button layout. I love that "zoom & shoot" was introduced, but it's frustrating that grenade is RB, melee is LS, and crouch is B. To mirror Halo 5, and pretty much every modern shooter, grenade should be LB, melee should be RB, and crouch should be LS.
I have this exact same problem switching between H5 and MCC. The default for H5 and the universal zoom and shoot for MCC are so close but frustratingly different. I would love to see a "Universal H5 zoom and shoot". Honestly though I think games need to start being more flexible and support mapping actions to buttons so people can create it how they want. I think this is common on PC games and I do not see a reason why this would not work for consoles.

I know you can remap buttons but there are two issues with that. First that only works with Microsoft controllers, my Razor does not allow remapping of standard buttons. Secondly, as someone already mentioned, it messes with on screen hints and general navigation of the menu system between rounds.
eLantern wrote:
Zbox wrote:
Title is supposed to be "Halo 5" button layout. I love that "zoom & shoot" was introduced, but it's frustrating that grenade is RB, melee is [RS], and crouch is B. To mirror Halo 5, and pretty much every modern shooter, grenade should be LB, melee should be RB, and crouch should be [RS].
I've been advocating for this since they announced they were going to update/fix the MCC.

I despise dealing with big muscle memory issues when bouncing between my FPS titles. And this is why when I play the MCC I now choose the Universal Zoom & Shoot scheme (instead of Universal Bumper Jumper or Universal Reclaimer or any other more ideal game-play choices) because it best matches up with what I've grown accustomed to for most all FPS titles nowadays. I'll then use the Xbox controller app to even further customize it to mimic the default Halo 5 layout as best as possible which is what I basically use as my standard setup between any and all FPS titles nowadays. The biggest problems I face with this setup in the MCC is (1) the zoom mechanic toggling multi-magnification scopes, and (2) certain vehicle controls getting shifted to unnatural button locations. This is why I advocate for a new mechanic that separates the zoom magnification level from the regular zoom mechanic (this is the most important change) and for a new Universal scheme that's a more natural representation of the default H5 scheme (would love to have this, but it's not as critical).

For instance:
  • Left Trigger (LT) - Zoom (defaulted to non-toggle)/Use Secondary Weapon (H2, H2A & H3)/Vehicular E-Brake or Power Slide/Vehicular Boost
  • Righter Trigger (RT) - Use Primary Weapon or Vehicular Weapon/Vehicle Horn (as Driver)
  • Right Bumper (RB) - Melee/Banshee Flip Technique/Vehicular Airbrake or Superglide Technique/H3’s Hornet Ascend
  • Left Bumper (LB) - Throw Grenade/H3’s Hornet Descend
  • Left Thumbstick Click (LS) - new Magnification Zoom Level Toggle (when zoomed w/ multi-magnification level weapons)/Reload Secondary Weapon (H3 - when wielding a second weapon)/Sprint (H4 - when not zoomed w/ a multi-magnification level weapon)
  • Right Thumbstick Click (RS) - Crouch (defaulted to non-toggle)
  • Y Button - Change Weapon (including for the Banshee)/Duel Wield (H2, H2A & H3)/Swap Secondary Weapon (H2, H2A & H3)
  • X Button - Actions/Swap Primary Weapon/Reload (for H3 this references the Primary Weapon Reload only)
  • B Button - Use Flashlight (CE - multiplayer & campaign/H2 - campaign only)/Use Arbiter’s Active Camo (H2 - campaign only)/Use Equipment (H3)/Use VISR (ODST)/Use Armor Ability (H4)
  • A Button – Jump
  • Up D-Pad - CE, H2, & H3 Teamchat? (Multiplayer Only)/H3 Flashlight (Campaign Only)/ODST Waypoints (Campaign Only)
I think this would would be a near perfect setup that could be applied across all the games and apply well to other fps shooters as well
I hope you guys can eventually get that!
eLantern wrote:
Zbox wrote:

For instance:
  • Left Trigger (LT) - Zoom (defaulted to non-toggle)/Use Secondary Weapon (H2, H2A & H3)/Vehicular E-Brake or Power Slide/Vehicular Boost
  • Right Bumper (RB) - Melee/Banshee Flip Technique/Vehicular Airbrake or Superglide Technique/H3’s Hornet Ascend/Reach's Falcon Ascend
  • Left Bumper (LB) - Throw Grenade/H3’s Hornet Descend/Reach's Falcon Descend
  • Right Thumbstick Click (RS) - Crouch (defaulted to non-toggle)/Reach's Falcon Altitude Lock-Unlock
  • Y Button - Change Weapon (including for the Banshee)/Duel Wield (H2, H2A & H3)/Swap Secondary Weapon (H2, H2A & H3)
  • B Button - Use Flashlight (CE - multiplayer & campaign/H2 - campaign only)/Use Arbiter’s Active Camo (H2 - campaign only)/Use Equipment (H3)/Use VISR (ODST)/Use Armor Ability (Reach & H4)
  • A Button – Jump/new Vehicular Seat Swap (would love to see this feature implemented into these classic titles if the developers could add it)
  • Up D-Pad - CE, H2, H3, & Reach Teamchat? (Multiplayer Only)/H3 Flashlight (Campaign Only)/ODST Waypoints (Campaign Only)/Reach Night Vision (Campaign Only?)
I think this would would be a near perfect setup that could be applied across all the games and apply well to other fps shooters as well
Thank you. I will continue to advocate for this control scheme while the MCC gets updated and worked on.
Im bumper jumper or even default
In this day and age it's honestly a shortfall that 343 hasn't allowed users to simply custom map their actions to button presses and button holds. Just work on that and people won't need to worry about certain button layouts needing programmed in.

Just let us do it ourselves.
In this day and age it's honestly a shortfall that 343 hasn't allowed users to simply custom map their actions to button presses and button holds. Just work on that and people won't need to worry about certain button layouts needing programmed in.

Yeah I think that is where we are at now. So many people have opinions and you will never make everyone happy. A mapping of action to button system would be great.
Nobler1050 wrote:

Yeah I think that is where we are at now. So many people have opinions and you will never make everyone happy. A mapping of action to button system would be great.
PC already gets these features. Even games released on both console and PC, console's get screwed with predefined layouts. Not sure what is so hard or unfeasible to let me go through every in-game action and set it to something.

Like, maybe I don't want Reload and Weapon Swap tied to the same button. Maybe I want Weapon Swap on the same button as Weapon switch like the H2 days.