Skip to main content
As many of you are aware, Berserk's apology post here has managed to hold onto the top spot for activity two days running. At several points, he claims that we would have gotten more response out of 343i had we handled ourselves in a mature fashion. Let's test that theory.

If his theory is correct, then shouldn't this post on November 12th have made an impact? It was followed up by several bug-reporting threads. Nary a 343i response to any of them.

If his theory is correct, then shouldn't this post on November 13th have made an impact? If there was any impact, it was that 343i read each one of the requests and decided to do the opposite.

If his theory is correct, then shouldn't this post on November 14th have made an impact? After all, it provides a list of what were (in my opinion) the biggest issues with the MCC . . . only one of which was even partially addressed. There will be more on this one in a moment.

The lack of impact for these posts - and others like them - eventually resulted in this post on November 19th, in which I made my intentions clear: if 343i and Microsoft were not going to do the right thing of their own volition, then the only option left to us consumers was to ensure that the complaints continued until the issues were fixed. Aside from legal action, word-of-mouth was the only option left to us. That is why I complain. That is why I will continue to complain. Those are my cards, out on the table for all would-be minimizers and apologists to see.

Now, with respect to the November 14th post, the content was linked to a Scribd upload. Setting the Xbone issues aside for the moment, I dedicated an entire section to future concerns that people would have with the MCC (i.e., concerns that had not yet made a Waypoint appearance, or had only made a partial appearance). Did 343i address any of them? No. Did they end up becoming important issues on Waypoint? Let's see:

1. Multiplayer statistics. Or, rather, lack thereof. Check.

2. Playlist frustrations, with proposed solution (more detail - original; more detail - new version). Check.

3. Game DVR vs. theater film saving. Check.

4. Fileshare. Or, rather, lack thereof. Check.

5. Controller mapping issues. Check.

6. Issues with customs and parties. Check.

7. Ranks and matching, with proposed solution (more detail). Check.

At the time I wrote that, I'd only had the game for 3 days. 3 days. That's it. All of these issues were apparent out-of-the-box. It does not pass the plausibility test that these were not either deliberate decisions by 343i (which ran precisely counter to all previous user feedback and for which they have provided no reasoning) or were unintended bugs that were not noticed. They were all either deliberate or known prior to release. Most have been completely ignored post-release.

With one partial exception (controller issues), these issues above have gone unfixed and unmentioned by 343i . . . despite the fact that they are outshone on this forum (and others) only by the matchmaking difficulties and hit registration. Hit registration, of course, was impossible to evaluate at the time because games were impossible to get into.

Some of you have been wondering "why u mad, bro?" Reasons are hereby provided.

In the intervening time, the communication has gotten even worse. Posting a vague one-liner per week on a closed forum like NeoGaf where the vast majority of us cannot even ask followup questions is not communication. It's an insult.

Do not expect me to believe any statement that 343i's post-launch communication has been even remotely acceptable.
I guess we can only hope that they actually have been working so hard on the game they haven't had time to communicate. Totally not true, but we'll know for sure once this next update comes out.
Yes, but how do you really feel?
Yes, but how do you really feel?
I must admit . . . I did smile at that.
NNMS MXMS wrote:
As many of you are aware, Berserk's apology post here has managed to hold onto the top spot for activity two days running. At several points, he claims that we would have gotten more response out of 343i had we handled ourselves in a mature fashion. Let's test that theory.

If his theory is correct, then shouldn't this post on November 12th have made an impact? It was followed up by several bug-reporting threads. Nary a 343i response to any of them.

If his theory is correct, then shouldn't this post on November 13th have made an impact? If there was any impact, it was that 343i read each one of the requests and decided to do the opposite.

If his theory is correct, then shouldn't this post on November 14th have made an impact? After all, it provides a list of what were (in my opinion) the biggest issues with the MCC . . . only one of which was even partially addressed. There will be more on this one in a moment.

The lack of impact for these posts - and others like them - eventually resulted in this post on November 19th, in which I made my intentions clear: if 343i and Microsoft were not going to do the right thing of their own volition, then the only option left to us consumers was to ensure that the complaints continued until the issues were fixed. Aside from legal action, word-of-mouth was the only option left to us. That is why I complain. That is why I will continue to complain. Those are my cards, out on the table for all would-be minimizers and apologists to see.

Now, with respect to the November 14th post, the content was linked to a Scribd upload. Setting the Xbone issues aside for the moment, I dedicated an entire section to future concerns that people would have with the MCC (i.e., concerns that had not yet made a Waypoint appearance, or had only made a partial appearance). Did 343i address any of them? No. Did they end up becoming important issues on Waypoint? Let's see:

1. Multiplayer statistics. Or, rather, lack thereof. Check.

2. Playlist frustrations, with proposed solution (more detail - original; more detail - new version). Check.

3. Game DVR vs. theater film saving. Check.

4. Fileshare. Or, rather, lack thereof. Check.

5. Controller mapping issues. Check.

6. Issues with customs and parties. Check.

7. Ranks and matching, with proposed solution (more detail). Check.

At the time I wrote that, I'd only had the game for 3 days. 3 days. That's it. All of these issues were apparent out-of-the-box. It does not pass the plausibility test that these were not either deliberate decisions by 343i (which ran precisely counter to all previous user feedback and for which they have provided no reasoning) or were unintended bugs that were not noticed. They were all either deliberate or known prior to release.

Additionally, with one partial exception (controller issues), these issues above have gone unfixed and unmentioned by 343i . . . despite the fact that they are outshone on this forum (and others) only by the matchmaking difficulties and hit registration. Hit registration, of course, was impossible to evaluate at the time because games were impossible to get into.

Some of you have been wondering "why u mad, bro?" Reasons are hereby provided.

In the intervening time, the communication has gotten even worse. Posting a vague one-liner per week on a closed forum like NeoGaf where the vast majority of us cannot even ask followup questions is not communication. It's an insult.

Do not expect me to believe any statement that 343i's post-launch communication has been even remotely acceptable.
Nicely put yet again. I look back at the first 4 forum examples that you laid out. What saddened me, is I do not think I have seen but 2 to 4 people lately in the first couple of pages each of the first 4 examples. That means a lot of people have probably left.. Sad population loss.
The Sector wrote:

Nicely put yet again. I look back at the first 4 forum examples that you laid out. What saddened me, is I do not think I have seen but 2 to 4 people lately in the first couple of pages each of the first 4 examples. That means a lot of people have probably left.. Sad population loss.
Yeah, when I went back to those, I noticed the same thing.
At this point you can't even be mad at 343. At this point its just comical how stupid, ignorant, and incompetent they are. Tomorrow marks 19 weeks since the game went gold. That's over 4 months and a week of time that they've had to fix this game from what it shipped as. If they can't fix the game in that amount of time, they really need to just quit. The best thing for this franchise at this point may just be for 343 to get dissolved. Have a new developer, one which isn't owned by M$ come in and start where 343 left off. Take MCC offline for a month while the new developer fixes it and then have a giant re-release. Delay all production on Halo 5 until MCC is in an acceptable state and then delay Halo 5 further to make it the game it should be.

This all can't be M$'s fault. Sure M$ might have forced them to release the game early but 4 months is more than enough time to at least get a working matchmaking and party system working correctly. This also has nothing to do with how many games there are in the collection. How have the been so incompetent that they haven't brought 5 people from the Halo 5 team that worked on the beta and have them fix the party and matchmaking system. The beta worked perfectly in comparison to the MCC. The lack of communication from 343 is astounding. This is their decision. If M$ is telling them to be quiet, then someone at 343 needs to grow some balls. M$ isn't going to remove their own company from their franchise because they decided to be vocal on the status of updating the broken game.
NNMS MXMS wrote:
The Sector wrote:

Yeah, when I went back to those, I noticed the same thing.
it is the same 15 people posting and the same 20 people browsing. I only browse on my breaks at work. When I go home I am playing CoD: AW or CS:GO! =]
hurr durr bleh
Great write up, really appreciate the time you put into your posts. Just sad that they buried up crap like the stuff in the post above me (being taken care of, I passed word on). I remember having a quick skim through your Scrib doc, will need to find a spot to read through it all again :)
stckrboy wrote:
Great write up, really appreciate the time you put into your posts. Just sad that they buried up crap like the stuff in the post above me (being taken care of, I passed word on). I remember having a quick skim through your Scrib doc, will need to find a spot to read through it all again :)
The single most frustrating thing about the MCC is that I don't want 343i to fail. 343i failing means a diminished Halo. I want them to succeed. Unfortunately, it feels as if the only way to give them a chance to succeed is to demonstrate what happens when they fail.

At least all of this is happening with the MCC and not H5. If it happens with H5, significant damage to the Halo brand will be permanent.