Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Controller layout for Reach in MCC

OP l Masko l

I don't see a lot of people taking about this, but I'm super excited that I'll be able to play Halo Reach with "Universal Zoom and Shoot" when it hits MCC (hopefully by the end of this year).

Now, I know that "ye olde grizzled ancients" and purists are gonna give me flack for saying this, but all the modern shooters of this decade use LT for zooming by default so I just got so used to it. And every time I go play Reach on BC I just spasm out and throw grenades for the first few minutes of gameplay, before I remember that the Right stick is ADS. It just feels so weird and "outdated" in this day and age.

I do hope they give people both options, but that's one of the features I'm looking forward to the most, maybe even more than the 4k \ 60 fps goodness.

Anyone else feel me on this one?
I'm the absolute same, zoom and shoot is my go to control scheme. Was using it in Reach over the last few days and I feel so much more comfortable on that setup. My only issue is that I'm heavy on my sticks, so quite often I'll end up randomly melee'ing mid shot
Yeah I use zoom and shoot but I set it up on my elite controller so grenade is LB ,melee LB , sprint on paddle , and special ability on other paddle . ( I had to delete the stick settings as I tend to flinch on them mid fight ) I run fish stick ( i think) on h5 so it's the identical setup across all the titles .
I got my invite through this morning and just installed and set it up and was pleased to see universal zoom and shoot was a option and ran around a forge map for a quick spin .
Feels good looks great , I'll play a bit over the weekend after work .
stckrboy wrote:
My only issue is that I'm heavy on my sticks, so quite often I'll end up randomly melee'ing mid shot
"Heavy on the sticks" is what you call it?
Yeah, I have that problem too. I think it's kind of a panic or stress issue. Just like "death gripping".

I do it when I feel overwhelmed and uncomfortable in a match or game situation.

But I see the new control setup works for you and works well.
You and BBK took the W against UberNick and Greenskull :)
Yeah, I'm also really glad I'll be able to play Reach with Universal Zoom & Shoot.

Although, during the current flight I've been accidentally trying to zoom in by pressing right thumbstick. Thanks muscle memory.
l Masko l wrote:
Oh you were in that match? Nice! GG 😁
stckrboy wrote:
l Masko l wrote:
Oh you were in that match? Nice! GG 😁
I wish!
BBKDragoon mentioned it in his latest video. Even showed some footage from the match.

BBK's latest video on the Reach flight
bumper jumper / boxer all the way. for me its very hard to get used to a new controll sheme even if it may be better. i used the legacy controll sheme many shooters have for a while before i switched to more modern shemes as an example. but personally i think that movement in halo is more important then aiming and thats wehere bper jumper is hard to break for me. altroughusing jetpacks was a pain with it ( holding X while trying to aim with right stick is terrible... i used the jet pack exclusivly as a mobility toolto get tocertain spots )
bumper jumper / boxer all the way. for me its very hard to get used to a new controll sheme even if it may be better. i used the legacy controll sheme many shooters have for a while before i switched to more modern shemes as an example. but personally i think that movement in halo is more important then aiming and thats wehere bper jumper is hard to break for me. altroughusing jetpacks was a pain with it ( holding X while trying to aim with right stick is terrible... i used the jet pack exclusivly as a mobility toolto get tocertain spots )
Makes sense. I have friends who play on bumper jumper and tried to get me to switch, which I never managed to do.

I switched to "elite" controllers long ago, with two to four back buttons and so I can still aim while doing all the jumpy jumps, on "default" controller shemes.
I landed on the Razor Wolverine as the best "elite" type controller I've used up to now. And I've tried all of the available ones, from Scuff to the Xbox Elite. The Razor has mechanical buttons which is are so nice to press :)
Ever since Halo 3 (when it was the default) I have played every Halo game using the Recon controls, and I will continued to do so for as long as I can.
Ever since Halo 3 (when it was the default) I have played every Halo game using the Recon controls, and I will continued to do so for as long as I can.
Same! Recon makes the most sense for me.
l Masko l wrote:
Makes sense. I have friends who play on bumper jumper and tried to get me to switch, which I never managed to do.

I switched to "elite" controllers long ago, with two to four back buttons and so I can still aim while doing all the jumpy jumps, on "default" controller shemes.
I landed on the Razor Wolverine as the best "elite" type controller I've used up to now. And I've tried all of the available ones, from Scuff to the Xbox Elite. The Razor has mechanical buttons which is are so nice to press :)
btw that jetpack issiue will be fixed in mcc. i saw an option in the current pc flight in the controlls that makes using jumper easier with jetpack
I’ll probably stick with the original clicking the sticks to aim/zoom.