Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Could we please get Grifball back permanently?

OP Abolish U

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Removing Grifball because of the boosters has been an absolute hit to the gut for us Grifballers. I was extremely active on Halo 5 Grifball and I loved it the minute I started it. As many if you may know they removed Halo 5 Grifball due to “population issues” and I was absolutely devastated. It comes back every few months for 2 weeks but its never the same as when it was permanent. Back to MCC, MCC was the only place for us Grifballers to go and enjoy all the classic Grifball gamemodes from Halo 3 all the way to Halo 4. Removing it due to boosters has been devastating to the grifball community and I feel there is many ways to counter boosters such as bans or XP bans or resets for being AFK in a Grifball match. Removing it and making it rotational just like Halo 5 defeats the purpose of MCC in my opinion as Grifball has been a staple gamemode since Reach. Please 343 I’m asking you as a dedicated Grifballer please find a way to bring Grifball back and if grifball boosters is the problem, find a solution to the problem. The only way to play Grifball now is on Halo Reach and you cannot play legit there as the whole lobby will come after you for trying to play legit cause they want to credit farm and Halo 4 is completely dead for Grifball. Please if you could find a way and if we could get some support for the playlist it would mean the world to us Grifballers who love the playlist to the end!
I agree. Grifball is a game mode that needs more attention and shouldnt just be removed because of boosters. Bring Grifball back!
Yeah I ran Grifball a lot on halo 5. We need a place to play it and MCC had a great matchmaking Grifball. It should be permanent imo
Yea as a long time fan of Halo, I’ve noticed that, under 343’s rule, multiplayer seems to be extremely malleable compared to when Bungie was in charge of each individual game during their respective golden days. They kept what worked well and only really ever added to their modes. You could see the upgrade across the games and the variety of modes increase. Yet with 343, all I’ve ever noticed recently is them taking away seemingly popular game modes and rotating in less popular modes as if to force them onto us. As you’ve said, with something as popular as Grifball, even Bungie recognized its significance and it was never taken away from us as a result. If anything, they kept adding a larger variety of maps and versions (i.e. Blargball or Grifball dash). I feel like that also plays a role in why 343’s multiplayer seems lesser than Bungie’s at times and why the community seems to fluctuate. If they try being more consistent with the modes that are rotated and actually permanently keep the popular ones, I can tell the community would be steadier, generally happier, and probably grow over time. They’d be smart to heed that mentality, especially for Infinite since it’s supposed to gain a new audience and draw back the older ones. I actually read someone else’s post who had a great ideology for the rotating playlists. They mentioned that typical playlists shouldn’t necessarily be rotated as it’s nothing necessarily new. In fact, experimental playlists that are fresh and bizarre should be rotated. If they perform well, then perhaps it’d be in 343’s best interest to bring it in as a permanent mode? Anyways, sorry for the tangent, I just see a lot of potential for 343 and their management of Halo. I personally don’t think they’ve done too bad over the years while some may disagree. But I do think they could really stay true to the core of Halo and win a lot of people back.
Nahzario wrote:
Yea as a long time fan of Halo, I’ve noticed that, under 343’s rule, multiplayer seems to be extremely malleable compared to when Bungie was in charge of each individual game during their respective golden days. They kept what worked well and only really ever added to their modes. You could see the upgrade across the games and the variety of modes increase. Yet with 343, all I’ve ever noticed recently is them taking away seemingly popular game modes and rotating in less popular modes as if to force them onto us. As you’ve said, with something as popular as Grifball, even Bungie recognized its significance and it was never taken away from us as a result. If anything, they kept adding a larger variety of maps and versions (i.e. Blargball or Grifball dash). I feel like that also plays a role in why 343’s multiplayer seems lesser than Bungie’s at times and why the community seems to fluctuate. If they try being more consistent with the modes that are rotated and actually permanently keep the popular ones, I can tell the community would be steadier, generally happier, and probably grow over time. They’d be smart to heed that mentality, especially for Infinite since it’s supposed to gain a new audience and draw back the older ones. I actually read someone else’s post who had a great ideology for the rotating playlists. They mentioned that typical playlists shouldn’t necessarily be rotated as it’s nothing necessarily new. In fact, experimental playlists that are fresh and bizarre should be rotated. If they perform well, then perhaps it’d be in 343’s best interest to bring it in as a permanent mode? Anyways, sorry for the tangent, I just see a lot of potential for 343 and their management of Halo. I personally don’t think they’ve done too bad over the years while some may disagree. But I do think they could really stay true to the core of Halo and win a lot of people back.
No need to apologize, you have some really good points! I agree with everything you said about how they remove game modes that can stay and help benefit the majority of the population. The reasoning they gave for Grifball being removed in Halo 5 was because "the population wasn't good enough" even though I played it up until it was removed without ever having to wait longer than a minute to find matches. It saddens me to see the approach they are taking with Grifball and it needs to come back and stay. I see a lot of people who were complaining that it was removed from MCC and it seems as if they are ignoring the ones who are calling out for it to come back. I know they did it because of boosters and AFK players but this could easily be fixed. Over on Halo 5 Grifball, they had a very good AFK timer and it would boot you within a min of being inactive and this would not be hard to implement into MCC. I really hope enough people can see this as a call for help in the Grifball community and allow us to get the game modes we love and desire back into MCC without the rotational aspect involved. Grifball has been loved by many since Halo 3 and see it removed from a game that is supposed to bring all the classics back is very devastating. Thanks for the post!
Long time grifballer here as well. I also agree that grifball needs a permanent spot on the game. It makes no sense why they would remove it over such a fixable reason and make it a once a month thing. This is not what we want, we need Grifball full time again so us dedicated players can take back the sport we love!
Boosting in Grifball was not stated to be the reason it was moved to rotational status. That's just an assumption people made since boosting happened alot in Grifball. However, bans were the direct consequence of grifball boosting.

In all likelihood, population issues were a reason behind MCC Grifball becoming rotational, just like in H5. While Grifball fans may be a vocal bunch, it doesn't mean there are enough of them to warrant a permanent playlist. Playlist consolidation is a necessary sacrifice that must be made when populations are not high enough to sustain a higher variety of playlists; otherwise, you end up with long matchmaking times. Besides, Grifball being rotational in matchmaking doesn't mean Grifball fans can't play. Use the custom game feature and LFGs to set up games between hardcore Grifball fans. If you like Grifball for Grifball, you won't care about not getting XP for your Grifball games.

Ultimately, if you want Grifball to be permanent again, your best bet is to vote with your playtime. Play nothing but Grifball during its rotation, and get a bunch of new people to join you. Populate Grifball and keep it populated with enough players to show 343 that it deserves to be permanent. If it can't bring in the numbers, it just servers to mess with matchmaking overall if it remains too long.
Chimera30 wrote:
Boosting in Grifball was not stated to be the reason it was moved to rotational status. That's just an assumption people made since boosting happened alot in Grifball. However, bans were the direct consequence of grifball boosting.

In all likelihood, population issues were a reason behind MCC Grifball becoming rotational, just like in H5. While Grifball fans may be a vocal bunch, it doesn't mean there are enough of them to warrant a permanent playlist. Playlist consolidation is a necessary sacrifice that must be made when populations are not high enough to sustain a higher variety of playlists; otherwise, you end up with long matchmaking times. Besides, Grifball being rotational in matchmaking doesn't mean Grifball fans can't play. Use the custom game feature and LFGs to set up games between hardcore Grifball fans. If you like Grifball for Grifball, you won't care about not getting XP for your Grifball games.

Ultimately, if you want Grifball to be permanent again, your best bet is to vote with your playtime. Play nothing but Grifball during its rotation, and get a bunch of new people to join you. Populate Grifball and keep it populated with enough players to show 343 that it deserves to be permanent. If it can't bring in the numbers, it just servers to mess with matchmaking overall if it remains too long.
I agree with what you are saying about not caring about XP for Grifball. I would gladly take reduced or no XP at all just to have it in matchmaking. Custom games does seem like an ideal option for us but trust me, its not as easy as it seems. Getting a Grifball custom game together is a mess and you will rarely get randoms to join and stay if at all. I’ve tried everything in the book to get Grifball matches going but matchmaking is the best way. If it was population that was the cause of removal as it was in halo 5 (which wasn’t a problem as I stated my queue times towards the end of Grifballs lifespan on Halo 5) than it was not an issue for me to find matches of grifball even on MCC non peak hours. The population excuse is not a good reason for its removal as if you had all the games checked off you would find a match on MCC within a min just like on Halo 5. When it comes around again I will try your advice and get more people to jump on if it means it could help but that will not be easy either. Also I could list quite a few social game modes on MCC that are dead and I have spent countless minutes waiting for a game and never found one. Those playlists are still in the game with little to no population at all. I say since you can customize your search preferences that there should be endless options for players. Let people play what they want to play regardless of population, if they love the game mode enough, they will wait for a match. Regardless, I really wish it didn’t come to this whatever the real reason of removing it was...
Even on the 360 version, boostball was awful. If people would just play normally, 343 wouldn't of had to make rotational modes. You'll just have to wait for the second week of the month to play it again or do customs. The only way it can return forever is when 343 decides to change the xp system to not reward boosting.
It wasn't removed for boosting. It was removed because other Halo gametypes are being neglected and forgotten about. Why Multi team isn't in the rotation blows my mind.
Please.... I don't understand why Halo devs hate grifball...they always take it away from us. There is a community of players that loves playing it all the time
Griffball and swat is all I played on halo reach and all I want to play again, hate that they removed such a popular game mode.
It wasn't removed for boosting. It was removed because other Halo gametypes are being neglected and forgotten about. Why Multi team isn't in the rotation blows my mind.
I agree multi team was fun too
Abolish U wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:

I agree with what you are saying about not caring about XP for Grifball. I would gladly take reduced or no XP at all just to have it in matchmaking. Custom games does seem like an ideal option for us but trust me, its not as easy as it seems. Getting a Grifball custom game together is a mess and you will rarely get randoms to join and stay if at all. I’ve tried everything in the book to get Grifball matches going but matchmaking is the best way. If it was population that was the cause of removal as it was in halo 5 (which wasn’t a problem as I stated my queue times towards the end of Grifballs lifespan on Halo 5) than it was not an issue for me to find matches of grifball even on MCC non peak hours. The population excuse is not a good reason for its removal as if you had all the games checked off you would find a match on MCC within a min just like on Halo 5. When it comes around again I will try your advice and get more people to jump on if it means it could help but that will not be easy either. Also I could list quite a few social game modes on MCC that are dead and I have spent countless minutes waiting for a game and never found one. Those playlists are still in the game with little to no population at all. I say since you can customize your search preferences that there should be endless options for players. Let people play what they want to play regardless of population, if they love the game mode enough, they will wait for a match. Regardless, I really wish it didn’t come to this whatever the real reason of removing it was...
Abolish U is absolutely correct. Everyone can see through the misdirected excuse of "not enough population" to justify not keeping griftball a permanent playlist option. I'm not much on griftball, but i would switch things up and play it from time to time up until it was removed. No matter what time of day, or what day i searched in the griftball playlist, i rarely ever waited more than 30 seconds to get into a match. Most of the time it was 10-15 seconds. If the problem really is a sustainable population in the playlist, perhaps 343i should dig a little deeper. Why did the population take such a dramatic drop? Is there something 343i did to negatively impact the experience of griftball for the true fans of the playlist? Is there something 343i can do to remove the cause of this negative impact? Would 343i be willing to take such action for the longtime griftball fans to restore it to its original state, even if it means admitting they were wrong? Simple questions that the company must truly evaluate if they care for their fan base. Keeping asking "why" until you get to the root cause 343i. Your fans deserve it, especially the griftball fans in this case. Perhaps the implementation of a shallow XP system that encouraged farming in griftball lead to regular grifball players being frustrated and leaving the playlist. Remove XP from griftball. If the playlist became nothing more than a means to farm XP, then what is the solution??? It's not rocket science.
"While griftball fans may be a vocal bunch, it does not mean there are enough of them to warrant a permanent playlist." <---Total bologna
Other than social slayer, griftball was one of the quickest ways to find a match (before the introduction of the XP system that rewarded griftball farming, thus driving griftball purists out of the picture.) The "vocal bunch" Chimera30 speaks of is vocal for a reason. I feel like 343i has made some great improvements to the game, but i can't see why they would take the griftball fans and sweep them under the rug rather than restoring the playlist to the way it was. They killed the playlist, but they can restore it. C'mon guys, remove XP from griftball and create one of those pregame messages to notify fans that it is no longer a means for XP. Give the griftball fanbase their mode back! They deserve to have their staple playlist available without your incredibly flawed XP system ruining their experience.
Yes please add Griffball back!! I miss it.
Yo put grifball I’m permanently pleaseeeeee😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢
I mean, to get Achilles you need to win a number of grifball to achieve it.
So I definitely want it back.
I wouldn't mind grifball back but I feel like what's really holding back MCC match composer from being complete is the lack of multi-team: without which you lose all sorts of goodies like rocket race. Bring grifball and multi-team back and that would be ideal, but then again it's hard to know how that'd work out seeing as we don't know population numbers for this game.
Maybe if the xp was reduced by 75% so boosting wasn’t so lucrative
Bobross343 wrote:
Maybe if the xp was reduced by 75% so boosting wasn’t so lucrative
I stated that I would gladly take reduced XP for it to qualify for matchmaking. Its a shame that us Grifballers have nowhere to go. I recently started hosting FFA Hammers on Halo 5 customs and thats currently all I have to satisfy my Grifball needs. Overall, it belongs in matchmaking and if it means little to no xp, I would gladly take that as an option!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2