Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Cross-platform multiplayer will kill MCC for Xbox

OP SheerSiamang117

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
I don't understand how people aren't worried that this is a possibility.

Any competent PC player will absolutely dominate any Xbox MCC player. It's not even a fair playing field.A half-decent PC player with familiarity of the game would dominate even the best pro in their prime - it would be like playing someone with aimbot. Playing with a controller isn't even in the same league as playing with a mouse and keyboard. Cross-platform multiplayer will kill off pretty much any remaining Xbox Live players left on MCC.

And any Xbox MCC player should be gravely concerned by this.
I assume crossplay will be allowed for campaign and co-op modes like Firefight and either no crossplay, crossplay specific playlists, or an option that will allow crossplay across all playlists for PvP. I think the concerns of crossplay PvP have been voiced loud enough for 343 to not make it mandatory.
This is well known among game devs. I highly doubt they’ll match people with PC and Xbox together. My guess is that the servers will segregate the groups automatically and only combine them in a last ditch effort to find a game that very few people are searching for.
Thank you so much OP. As soon as I heard about MCC PC, this was my first thought. I absolutely love the Halo 3 MLG (H3 Hardcore) playlist and cant imagine the damage cross play would definitely cause.

Thanks for your post.
They likely can just institute input controls. If a user has a mouse and keyboard they only match against other mouse and keyboard players.
Besides the comments made by others in this thread, we don't know if cross-play will be a feature in MCC.

Additionally, if it is I doubt it would be forced on anyone in multiplayer. I can see it as an opt-in feature but nothing more. Every PC player has an advantage over console players in FPS games and 343 knows that.
They haven't said it will be cross platform yet, and if they didn't mention it during the initial announcement then I get the feeling that it won't be a feature on PC.
Maybe it'll be limited cross platform and let you match for campaign, custom games, and forge? But I don't know.
It's something I'm concerned about too, but I doubt that 343 hasn't considered the negatives to cross play .
Cross-play will be a great feature with it being able to increase the player account by quite a bit.
It’s not as serious as you all think. Play some H5 PC and see how easy it is to dance on KBM players. They have their advantages at times, sure, but I get barked at for “aim assist” on controller more so than I ever think maybe I should pick up the KBM I’m getting walked. They both have advantages and disadvantages, I’m all for merging for population.
I mean not wanting cross play I can understand, I see the advantages of course. And I personally feel 100% opposite of your feelings on the matter. I've been playing since 07' and I can't wait for the new challange. But I would be less concerned about cross play being the xbox MCC killer, rather than PC being a playable option. Me and the majority of my friends plan on switching to PC the day it's out. And I won't look back. Infact the only reason I own an xbox anymore IS halo. Once I have halo on PC, i'm selling my paper weight.

In the end there really is no argument, I hope for at least an option. The option could never hurt, the lack of an option would imo
It should be optional. Plus Cross-play wouldn't work as well as games like Gears did due to the style of game-play so doubt cross-play would be forced.
So I'd turn it off for matchmaking while keeping it on for modes like Firefight, Campaign.
Best case, they should do like Paladins does. In the options you configure your crossplay settings to how you prefer to play.
1. Crossplay - all users
2. Crossplay - same control option only.
3. Crossplay disabled.

And then for ranked, it defaults to option 2.
Also, with Microsoft allowing Keyboard and Mouse support to Xbox One, its very likely that a future update will allow Xbox One players to use K&M in Halo MCC. I plan on still using a controller regardless of the platform I end up choosing because, inferior or not, a controller is simply more comfortable for me than K&M, especially for a game that is very mobility based like Halo.
I'm hoping that there will be no cross platform play. Judging by the separate forum selection (mcc xbox/mcc pc) it looks like it will be separate.
I don't understand how people aren't worried that this is a possibility.

Any competent PC player will absolutely dominate any Xbox MCC player. It's not even a fair playing field.A half-decent PC player with familiarity of the game would dominate even the best pro in their prime - it would be like playing someone with aimbot. Playing with a controller isn't even in the same league as playing with a mouse and keyboard. Cross-platform multiplayer will kill off pretty much any remaining Xbox Live players left on MCC.

And any Xbox MCC player should be gravely concerned by this.
Not all keyboard & mouse players are as good as Shroud
Not all PC players use keyboard and mouse

ONESTAR v2 wrote:
Best case, they should do like Paladins does. In the options you configure your crossplay settings to how you prefer to play.
1. Crossplay - all users
2. Crossplay - same control option only.
3. Crossplay disabled.

And then for ranked, it defaults to option 2.
Idk why they wouldn't do this. There will inevitably be PC players using PS4, Xbox One, or Steam controllers. There will also probably be some Xbox One players playing with keyboard & mouse. Widening the population wouldn't hurt, especially with options like this.
I disagree that cross play will ruin MCC on Xbox. For starters I dont see how a mouse and keyboard can beat out the simple and easy to use controller. I play PC and I suck with the mouse and keyboard when it comes to playing FPS games. Crossplay could shorten wait times to find a map, not hinder the population. 343 will definitely have measures in place to deter players on PC from using cheats like aim bot. Crossplay should definitely be a thing.
The population of this game is really low on xbox. You would think that when MCC launches on PC they would enable M&KB support for xbox version. Plus alot of people plan on switching to the PC version anyway.

So what you want is: take a game with an already paltry population, downsize that population even more by only allowing people on console who are using controller, and then even more by restricting PC players from the matchmaking.

So you want a dead game. Gotcha.
Aim assist on consoles ensures that PC players won't ruin the fun. I am all for cross platform play.
Unfortunately, a lack of cross-play would hurt the Xbox version too. It seems like a lot of players are preparing to switch to the PC version. So, the playerbase is going to take a hit if there's no cross-play.
It's as easy as matching controller players with each other and matching k&m Vs other k&m players, Fortnite has done this very well - take a note from them.
Also I do believe we should have the option to turn crossplay on or off, I'm sure this could work and will increase the player pool significantly without worrying about other players using different input devices having advantage over you.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5