Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Crossplay In Halo Is A BAD IDEA

OP exactchase

So, I recently made a video explaining why I think crossplay with PC is a bad idea or should at least be optional/only in the campaign, but I'm not sure if such a video would belong in Community Creations or in here, so instead of just making a post that is just a link to the video, I figured that I'd link the video, but still kinda explain why I hate crossplay on this post.

Spoiler:
Show
Anyway, the reason that I am so strongly opposed to competitive crossplay is because I've played games with comp crossplay, and let me tell you, they are just awful and inaccessible to newer players or basically anyone who isn't a god at the game. I've also played Halo MCC on PC and on Xbox and I can't help be feel like I'm seeing more "sweats" on PC than I've ever seen on Xbox. Not that I don't see sweats on Xbox, I just feel like I stand less of a chance on PC than on Console. Doesn't matter what game. If I'm playing against a PC player, nine times out of ten, I'm going to get dumpstered. My friends--who are actually good at games, unlike myself--constantly get dumpstered by PC players because Johnny Six-Year-Old got a gaming rig for Christmas, and by-God he knows how to use it. And by use it, I mean, crank his sound, max out his sensitivity and FOV and wait for some console pleb to dare cross him.

I see this all the time when playing MCC on PC. Hell, I had to stop playing MCC on PC because I was going to put a hole in my desk if I didn't.

I still remember the exact moment I decided that I was done with MCC on PC. I was going for an Assassination, and this man--who is creepwalking and holding a DMR, whips around, flicks his mouse wheel and blows my face off with a shotgun... I just cannot wait for that to happen everytime I try and play Halo on console every time I boot up the game. I'm already getting rekt pretty regularly, I don't need it to happen EVERY SINGLE MATCH. And while I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at video games, I'll also say that more than half the time, my losses don't feel like my fault. But let's not get into that.

You might be thinking, 'what proof do you have that this will happen?' And to that I say; check out CoD: Modern Warfare with crossplay enabled. See how much fun you have there.
Spoiler:
Show
What about Fortnite? PC Sensitivity advantage. Gears? FOV sliders give PC an advantage. Do I even need to list games with Crossplay at this point, or should I just name off PC's advantages? Let's see, other than what I've just listed.... They can double bind keys so that every time they aim in, they auto crouch. They can crank their sound and hear your Spartan's heart pumping from a mile away like they're freaking Daredevil. It's easier to cheat on PC. That's just a few, but I'm sure console has countless more advantages, right?

Well, let's count 'em out: Aim Assist... That's it? Really? That's the only "advantage" that console has over PC? But, Aim Assist doesn't actually help, in fact it's more of hindrance than anything else. The amount of times I've been trying to shoot someone, only for their teammate to sprint by them and KIDNAP my reticle!

Now, I'll admit, Co-Op crossplay is a good idea, something that no one EVER does, but a good idea nonetheless. We only get crossplay with PVP games. NEVER with PVE games. Seriously, try to think of three non PVP crossplay games. You'll get like one.

Now, I'm not so vehemently against crossplay that I won't accept PVP crossplay of any kind. I'd like OPTIONAL crossplay. I want to be able to turn it ALL THE WAY off. Not gamepad only. I would like to play with Xbox only if I don't feel like dealing with PC's FOV bull. Give me an option to toggle crossplay ALL THE WAY off and I will be happy.
I'm sorry, I read your whole article but when 2 minutes into your video I had to turn it off. PC gamers are not the most toxic community there is. GAMERS in general are, period. -Yoinking!- and complaining about people that have map knowledge and weapon positioning invalidates your point since this is intrinsic to arena shooters. I have been playing Halo since day 1 and been waiting for a PC port that long but you know what? I hate how the game feels with M&K. I'm pretty decent on my Xbox and even better (at other FPS on the PC) with my M&K but when playing MCC on my PC I have to use my gamepad. 343i left the aim assist for the pads so even on PC, using a M&K feels a bit like a disadvantage.
I'm sorry, I read your whole article but when 2 minutes into your video I had to turn it off. PC gamers are not the most toxic community there is. GAMERS in general are, period. -Yoinking!- and complaining about people that have map knowledge and weapon positioning invalidates your point since this is intrinsic to arena shooters. I have been playing Halo since day 1 and been waiting for a PC port that long but you know what? I hate how the game feels with M&K. I'm pretty decent on my Xbox and even better (at other FPS on the PC) with my M&K but when playing MCC on my PC I have to use my gamepad. 343i left the aim assist for the pads so even on PC, using a M&K feels a bit like a disadvantage.
Using a M/KB is NEVER a disadvantage. Hell, I've seen gameplay of M/KB vs Controller where they were trying to prove that the controller was OP, but it the controller player didn't stand a chance until they removed all power weapons, grenades and ability to melee. I mean, the KB/M player actually hits the console player with the energy sword despite the fact that he was definitely out of range of the energy sword (to the right of KB/M player) and they even accredit that to the FOV sliders. NO ONE wants to talk about the laundry list of advantages KB/M players have. They only want to talk about the single advantage controller players have. That is the point of my complaining. I'm sick and tired of KB/M players having a thousand advantages and then endlessly -Yoinking!- about aim assist. That is the point of the video and of this post.
This forum is starting to turn into a rant it seems. Personally I've never had a good experience playing against PC. They always seem so much better. This has happened to me in multiple games. I don't mind cross play as long as it's entirely optional.
I vote NO to cross play! COD has it and PC hackers/cheaters are having a field day with it. It is so bad that Activision has made some two step authentication and it still doesn't fully weed out the PC cheaters. With the bugs MCC and H5 already have we don't need to lump in PC cheaters into the mix. If they allow it in customs then fine.... But I never want to see cross play in traditional multiplayer.