Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Did 343 Add Bots to Social Matchmaking?

OP SPD Git Gud

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Has anyone else been having really poor teams recently? Because lately I have been noticing a bunch of people on Halo 4 matchmaking that are suspiciously bad. Some of these folks make me wonder if 343 added bots to pad the servers. Let me be clear, I'm not too annoyed when I have a teammate that goes negative, but I'm seeing players who play worse than someone who is literally AFK. I keep getting them on my teams, they go 0-18 or worse, yet they still stay in the same rotation for multiple matches. Also, 9/10 these guys are console players, so it's not just people playing PC for the first time and getting used to the controls. The thing that really gets me is that this is rarely a fluke with individual players. I've seen a couple of them that I recognized from games weeks ago that are still hitting double-dozen deaths per match. Has 343 added bots, or are these guys real? I've never seen this many players going this far negative before.

EDIT: Mods have confirmed that 343 hasn't added in any bots. So I guess that these people are real. Yikes, that actually makes it worse.
This is a very interesting theory to what has been going on lately 🤔
You're likely experiencing a bigger pool of players with crossplay, but people going hugely negative has been a thing for years.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
You're likely experiencing a bigger pool of players with crossplay, but people going hugely negative has been a thing for years.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand that teammates going turbo-negative isn't a new thing. It was pretty normal to stumble upon a player who went 0-11 every 5 or 6 rounds before, but it was pretty bearable. What's got me frustrated is the fact that I'm getting these types of players pretty much every other round, and they are an ascended level of awful. Good example: I went 32-4 in auto slayer and LOST because I had two dudes who got 5 kills between them. The other guy, as hinted at in the main post, was literally AFK for the whole match doing that spin-in-circles boosting BS. AFK dude died 9 times, so he basically costed us 90 points. These two somehow managed to die 37 times and continued playing this way for three whole matches. I know that these particular individuals can be chalked up as "well, that's just how some players are," but the next day I lost 5 matches within 1.5 hours having similar point spreads. These types of games are happening multiple times every day, and I am genuinely wondering how they couldn't be placeholder bots. No normal human would get 6 anti-perfections in a row and think "Ah yes, this is what I like doing with my free time."
I would like to say you're being conspiracy level paranoid, but... There really are some players that I think bots would be better than. I have consistently played with players who actually accidentally suicided so many times that we couldn't get anymore score. Went into theatre to make sure it wasn't on purpose but nope, they are just that bad.

And you bring up a good point about them staying that bad. Weeks later you can match them and they made no progress. Like, how can you even enjoy still playing if all you literally do is die and nothing else?
I would like to say you're being conspiracy level paranoid, but... There really are some players that I think bots would be better than. I have consistently played with players who actually accidentally suicided so many times that we couldn't get anymore score. Went into theatre to make sure it wasn't on purpose but nope, they are just that bad.

And you bring up a good point about them staying that bad. Weeks later you can match them and they made no progress. Like, how can you even enjoy still playing if all you literally do is die and nothing else?
Dude, I didn't even think about the suicides. Yeah, I've gone into theater mode too, but it causes me physical pain to watch these guys play. In all seriousness, I doubt that 343 would have put in the effort to make fake profiles and AI, but holy crap. I typically don't send messages, but sometimes I really wanna be like "Do you have the physical capacity to actually get a kill? Pretty sure I could superglue a controller to a toaster and get at least one by bashing it against a wall." Lol
There are a bunch of people that have never played before. There are plenty of kids or younger brothers. This may be the first game some of these people are playing. They are going up against people that have been playing these games at a competitive level for the last 20 years. Also there is the fact that each game has some different controls, a different feel. It's likely overwhelming for newer players. Don't be hard on them, If you feel like it, help them.
Has 343 added bots, or are these guys real? I've never seen this many players going this far negative before.
I've been kidding about this for years now 😀
Especially in firefight/ war zone, not even talking about PvP.
Weird gamertags that seem randomly generated.
Low gamerscore.
Never have a headset, don't message.
If it's not bots, I have another theory
The players who go way negative are more likely xp boosting. They aren't really playing but probably doing just enough not to get booted.
They are boosting XP if you see them spinning in circles.

I don’t understand how players go negative like that either. You have to actively try to be that bad.
There are no bots in multiplayer. People spinning in circles are actively afk-ing and rubberbanding. Report those players by submitting a player report ticket on the support site (support.halowaypoint.com), and record some footage as evidence so you can attach that footage to the report. There are many examples of players getting hit with lengthy bans for afk-ing.
Chimera30 wrote:
There are no bots in multiplayer. People spinning in circles are actively afk-ing and rubberbanding. Report those players by submitting a player report ticket on the support site (support.halowaypoint.com), and record some footage as evidence so you can attach that footage to the report. There are many examples of players getting hit with lengthy bans for afk-ing.
I don't think he means rubber Banders/afk.
Let's go all conspiracy style here. How do you know 343 isn't experimenting with this?
I have to be a little paranoid if I see someone playing firefight and somehow dying 20+ times a game. 😉
Chimera30 wrote:
Let's go all conspiracy style here. How do you know 343 isn't experimenting with this?
I have to be a little paranoid if I see someone playing firefight and somehow dying 20+ times a game. 😉
If you actually read further down the thread, OP points out specific example of one such player running around in circles the whole match, which is classic afk/rubberbanding behavior. There are plenty of other ways to afk, though. Unfortunately, MCC doesn't detect afk-ing in the actual match, so rubberbanding isn't even necessary. You could literally stand still the whole match and never get booted by the game. MCC only detects idling in the lobby, which imo is flawed and pointless. Then of course, you have bad players, who are trying but just suck, and you have players who maybe purposefully do really bad because they think it's funny. But there are no bots. Dying 20+ times in a FF game isn't indicative of a bot, because people take FF Arcade less seriously for one thing, and for another, every player has a GT. Bots wouldn't have GTs or accounts you can backtrack. The idea that 343 ninja-added bots to fill in matchmaking is ludicrous and has zero substance, especially with some players still reporting long matchmaking times.

There's a difference between healthy skepticism and just being dumb.
This probably has nothing to do with this topic but this has been going on for a while for me, like really long time where whenever i play a team based game like team slayer, recon slayer or whatever about 85 to 95% of the time im alway put with players that in order to win i have to get like 30 kills or more to win, just wanted to through this out there
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
If you actually read further down the thread, OP points out specific example of one such player running around in circles the whole match, which is classic afk/rubberbanding behavior. There are plenty of other ways to afk, though. Unfortunately, MCC doesn't detect afk-ing in the actual match, so rubberbanding isn't even necessary. You could literally stand still the whole match and never get booted by the game. MCC only detects idling in the lobby, which imo is flawed and pointless. Then of course, you have bad players, who are trying but just suck, and you have players who maybe purposefully do really bad because they think it's funny. But there are no bots. Dying 20+ times in a FF game isn't indicative of a bot, because people take FF Arcade less seriously for one thing, and for another, every player has a GT. Bots wouldn't have GTs or accounts you can backtrack. The idea that 343 ninja-added bots to fill in matchmaking is ludicrous and has zero substance, especially with some players still reporting long matchmaking times.

Watch 343 debut bots for infinite. 😉
Srsly tho, I misread his post. Sorry. One player was afk
I'm still not convinced though. The truth is out there
There are a bunch of people that have never played before. There are plenty of kids or younger brothers. This may be the first game some of these people are playing. They are going up against people that have been playing these games at a competitive level for the last 20 years. Also there is the fact that each game has some different controls, a different feel. It's likely overwhelming for newer players. Don't be hard on them, If you feel like it, help them.
Yeah, but like, I do actually try to help them out sometimes. Might say something like "Hey, you should try using the battle rifle, it's better than the storm rifle" or "Make sure to pay attention to the radar at the bottom corner of your screen." To this day I've never seen a message back from one of them, and literal months later they are still doing the same predictable "strats." Good example: was playing on Adrift with this one dude with a super memorable Gamertag. He/she was on the enemy team, and started going really negative. Noticed they kept on walking blindly down the halls next to the vent lifts. Hid in a corner and ended up assassinating that player 9 times in that match. Same spot, didn't move, and they didn't check their corners once. Sent a message: "Hey, I would recommend checking your corners. You're gonna keep getting assassinated by others if you don't." Two months later I'm on Adrift, and I see that same player. Hid in the same corner as before, waited, and assassinated them 8 times. Same place, no tricks, they were walking the same path as though that's the only way they could go. I don't send negative messages, and I'm not harsh on them, but it's like watching a goose operate a doorknob.
SPD Git Gud
It's remotely possible that they are bots.
But I have a more likely second scenario.
Based on experience working in the field.
I'm just not sure how to explain it without possibly offending someone.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:

Once again, it's extremely unlikely that 343 would take the time and effort to generate AI to pad multiplayer. They have already proved the original hypothesis to be false. But, have you actually seen these people? You could probably place a controller into a bag of avocados and get more points by shaking it around. I'm trying to give these folks the benefit of the doubt here, but I don't get how someone could enjoy these experiences enough to keep coming back over and over. The alternative is to say that they're just hot dog sh**, but you're still gonna have to step in it 7+ times when you play. When I queue up a match, the last thing I want to see is a teammate who sinks our score faster than the Bismarck.
SPD Git GudIt's remotely possible that they are bots.
But I have a more likely second scenario.
Based on experience working in the field.
I'm just not sure how to explain it without possibly offending someone.
Mods have already confirmed that these guys aren't bots, sadly. Was actually hoping that they weren't real people. It's a lot easier to see someone go 0-22 four times when you can say "just an AI." Makes this a lot worse, mainly because these dudes likely have a few screws loose. Definitely don't send them hatemail, but it would be nice if we could just put em' into a super-casual queue.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2