Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] FIELD OF VIEW SLIDER ON MCC

OP Palumpalumpa

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Playing Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary in local coop makes me really appreciate the wider field of view. I play also on pc and i usually play at 100+. I think on console a narrow fov is a little bit more acceptable than on pc but I would really appreciate a field of view slider in campain and multiplayer
I'm with you on this one. I think all modern games should come with an FOV slider on all platforms.
I'd support this. I'd love to set the FOV up to 90° for the campaigns and Spartan Ops.
Changing FOV can impact performance, I believe, which is why it might not be included. At least,
that’s the disclaimer that games like Battlefield include in their menus. But it would be a cool feature to have for sure.

This post has been hidden.

tuhin94 wrote:
Changing FOV can impact performance, I believe, which is why it might not be included. At least,
that’s the disclaimer that games like Battlefield include in their menus. But it would be a cool feature to have for sure.
No it won’t doom has it
Increasing the FOV can potentially cause performance issues, but it depends on the game. In my experience (on a base Xbox One) some games, like Doom 2016 and RDR2, can handle a wider FOV with no frame rate problems. Battlefield 1 was a different story, I did see some occasional frame rate drops, but they were infrequent enough to not disrupt the game.

All that being said, the Halo games in the MCC should be able to handle a wider FOV on the current gen of consoles. Halo: CE already has an approximate FOV of 86° and Halo 3: ODST is at around 88°. The real problem here is Halo 3, which only has a FOV of 70°, giving it more of a tunnel vision feel.

See here. There's a breakdown on the approximate FOV of all the Halo games up until Reach.
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
No it won’t doom has it
Enjoy.It’s a great feature in Doom (one of my favorite games ever), but it does impact frame rate, especially so on consoles which don’t hold a locked 60fps.
A FOV slider in MCC would be really dope to see, however I think I would rather see the custom game browser first if possible.
tuhin94 wrote:
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
No it won’t doom has it
Enjoy.It’s a great feature in Doom (one of my favorite games ever), but it does impact frame rate, especially so on consoles which don’t hold a locked 60fps.
It doesn’t affect it in a noticeable way for me and I max it out on doom
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
No it won’t doom has it
"Noticeable" doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I can't tell the difference between 55 and 60 fps during fast gameplay, for example, but there is a difference between the two.
tuhin94 wrote:
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
No it won’t doom has it
"Noticeable" doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I can't tell the difference between 55 and 60 fps during fast gameplay, for example, but there is a difference between the two.
If the frames aren’t dropping by like 10 to 25 frames I don’t care
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
No it won’t doom has it
That’s great for you. Doesn’t affect the discussion though.
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
qtocool wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
No it won’t doom has it
I appreciate your comment but if frames drop:
1. reset the original field of view
2. wait for next gen Xbox with Ryzen CPU and play the game at rock solid 60 frames per second whatever your field of view is
A field of view slider would be a win-win. Giving players more options to enjoy the game is always a positive thing.
I’m probably the contrarian here, but I don’t like anything that leads to a different experience for different players.
The Xbox isn’t a PC, and it doesn’t need dozens of sliders and settings that need to be fiddled with.

Console games are supposed to be easy and approachable.
I’m probably the contrarian here, but I don’t like anything that leads to a different experience for different players.
The Xbox isn’t a PC, and it doesn’t need dozens of sliders and settings that need to be fiddled with.

Console games are supposed to be easy and approachable.
Well, with the introduction and adoption of cross platform play.. Not to mention the beginning of proper KB/M support... Some of these options may be more beneficial in the long term. An FOV slider won't change the balance in such a way that it's borderline cheating.
I really just don’t care for Halo becoming a PC game and the Xbox becoming just a cheap gaming PC.

Cross platform play is never really going to work since M&K players have such a gigantic advantage. You’ll just have two different games with sharded populations.

I vote for just leaving consoles as consoles with a standard FOV.
I really just don’t care for Halo becoming a PC game and the Xbox becoming just a cheap gaming PC.

Cross platform play is never really going to work since M&K players have such a gigantic advantage. You’ll just have two different games with sharded populations.

With Phil Spencer being the head of Xbox I saw a change of mentality: the priority is giving the most ways possible to make the gaming on Xbox enjoyable for everyone. And I think 343 should do the same: give all players the most ways possible to enjoy thier Halo games. The only reason why they wouldn't implement a FOV slider is because they think we are too stupid to use it. Maybe you are but I can garantee you that a lot of people aren't and would really appreciate a FOV slider.

With Phil Spencer being the head of Xbox I saw a change of mentality: the priority is giving the most ways possible to make the gaming on Xbox enjoyable for everyone. And I think 343 should do the same: give all players the most ways possible to enjoy thier Halo games. The only reason why they wouldn't implement a FOV slider is because they think we are too stupid to use it. Maybe you are but I can garantee you that a lot of people aren't and would really appreciate a FOV slider.
No need to insult anyone’s intelligence. Most console games don’t want to fiddle with settings, they want to plug in a game and go.

FOV sliders are PC gaming thing. If you want to play on PC go do that, and leave Halo and console games the way they are.
It always amuses me when people who have no idea what they’re talking about talk about how easy something is.

Adding a slider for FOV is easy. Altering the camera matrix for the math is easy. DOOM can do it just fine in the idTech 6 engine, which is specifically designed for PC (then ported.)

I’d love to hear how someone who said it’d be easy would address alter the dynamic occlusion map. Are you going to rebake it for a higher FOV and mess with everyone else’s performance (higher draw calls?). Or are you suggesting write something that does all that math in real time? That’s not a minor piece of code, that’s a lot of really heavy math, which is why it’s baked. Or just bake it as it loads and increase the load time tenfold?

you already we see objects pop in and out of view sometimes at the edge of the screen in the Halo Ce campaign. That’s the occlusion map not expecting an HD aspect ratio.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2