Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

finding games in competitive

OP UndecidedLion72

Not sure if anyone else have posted this issue before, but I am constantly having trouble finding games in the competitive playlists (I mainly play h2a arena but also some h3). although sometimes it takes seconds to find a game in competitive, most of the time it would go on for 15+ minutes without a game found. I am not sure if this is a server or population issue, or my connection, since I was able to find games in social quite fast and consistently (10 seconds for a full 4v4 game). I thought this was caused by solo queuing since I heard that the game matches parties to parties and solos to solos, but I also had problem finding games when full party queueing.
Although it is fun playing in social, I prefer ranked since I could give myself reason to improve and earn better ranking.

Things about my side: I live in west coast United States. average 25 ms to the nearest server, open NAT, usually solo queueing but sometimes 2 to 4 player party queueing. currently ranked 13 in h2a arena. usually plays in popular times about 5 to 10 PM PST.

Things I have tried when I can't find a game (but didn't work): back out to menu and go back in, restart the console, restart the router, switch internet connection

any help would be very appreciated. happy holidays.

*I have posted something similar in the support forums for mcc but not sure if that forum is alive seeing that the sticky topics were from 2014 to 2016. mods feel free to move or delete this post if you find this redundant.
The best way to match make is with 2 or 3. Playing full party can be impossible to find games, unless you are playing hardcore 50 high since that's where most of the 4s seem to be. Of course you've gotta be pretty good to get 50 in hardcore and have a really good team to have a chance playing as a 4 at that level. Depends on time of the day as well. I can usually find games of Hardcore solo at level 21 quickly. Sometimes does take a while though. I don't think it's an issue your end, most likely just population.
Not sure if anyone else have posted this issue before, but I am constantly having trouble finding games in the competitive playlists (I mainly play h2a arena but also some h3). although sometimes it takes seconds to find a game in competitive, most of the time it would go on for 15+ minutes without a game found. I am not sure if this is a server or population issue, or my connection, since I was able to find games in social quite fast and consistently (10 seconds for a full 4v4 game). I thought this was caused by solo queuing since I heard that the game matches parties to parties and solos to solos, but I also had problem finding games when full party queueing.
Although it is fun playing in social, I prefer ranked since I could give myself reason to improve and earn better ranking.

Things about my side: I live in west coast United States. average 25 ms to the nearest server, open NAT, usually solo queueing but sometimes 2 to 4 player party queueing. currently ranked 13 in h2a arena. usually plays in popular times about 5 to 10 PM PST.

Things I have tried when I can't find a game (but didn't work): back out to menu and go back in, restart the console, restart the router, switch internet connection

any help would be very appreciated. happy holidays.

*I have posted something similar in the support forums for mcc but not sure if that forum is alive seeing that the sticky topics were from 2014 to 2016. mods feel free to move or delete this post if you find this redundant.
Try to go on dedicated playlist
Based on all the info you provided, it would seem that population is the main issue. I feel like most players play BTB and 4v4 social modes (among others) rather than ranked.
I think I've come to the realization that there are just not as many people as we think playing this game. I search for literally hours and still cannot find a match in ranked H2C or CE most days.
seems from the replies that it is more because of the population of the playlists. I was thinking it might be some deep setting that needs to be changed on my side but I guess I can't really do anything about the population. thanks for the replies
The community is actually discusing this in a post I created before. Feel free to use it and show/discuss your own opinion. Ranked population definitely needs a solution, and if by mixing it with the Composer the problem is fixed, I'm up for it.

"Ranked has no point now" --> https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/ranked-has-no-point-now/be1fdfef-2739-4ce6-9bf1-0dde73d05cdb/posts
I think I've come to the realization that there are just not as many people as we think playing this game. I search for literally hours and still cannot find a match in ranked H2C or CE most days.
I also struggle to find matches in H2C. Not so much CE, but I spend more time searching for players in H2C than I do playing, and most of the time it's the same people anyway, resulting in the same W or L from the last match.
iiBloxorz wrote:
I also struggle to find matches in H2C. Not so much CE, but I spend more time searching for players in H2C than I do playing, and most of the time it's the same people anyway, resulting in the same W or L from the last match.
same happens to me in h2a arena, keep getting the same people. and if the other team is a party of 4, I would just get destroyed game after game (although that is rare since parties usually match with parties). The weird thing is, after a game finished, I go to check recent players and all or most of the 7 other players are shown searching for a game, and yet on my side the system says "searching for players" and no one would show up.
I really, really wish this is not a population problem and instead is a server problem 343 could fix with an update or 2, since mcc is basically the only place I could play the original halos with no abilities. The only thing that kept me playing in halo 5 with all of the extended abilities was that I wanted to get to onyx (I don't know what that equates to in mcc, probably low 40s maybe), but after getting stuck in diamond for weeks I finally gave up and went back to mcc. ranked playlists mean a lot to me and is a big reason I want to improve and play more.