Skip to main content
Ranked is in a pretty bad state right now. In fact, ranked is so bad that there's no reason to play ranked at all. Low population, little to no incentives, a horrible matchmaking and ranking system, lack of variety, and almost no support; these are the main problems with ranked. So let's describe each problem:

Low population: There's not a lot of people to play with as ranked it's not really popular and it's basically only played for some minor challenges.

Lack of incentives: This one accentuates the low population even more. If there's no reason or “reward” to play ranked, nobody is going to play ranked.

Bad matchmaking.: The matchmaking as of right now is horrible. Ranks almost don't matter in ranked since the system puts you with anyone, even people with high ranks. This is a major problems since if ranked does not play as ranked, then there's no reason to play ranked when you can get the same experience in social.

Lack of variety: The majority of playlist are Halo 3 and hardcore is the main game mode. Also, not all Halos are there.

Support: It feels like 343 just side lined ranked and the most noteworthy changes they made have been adding specific challenges for ranked.

I really hope 343 fixes the issues ranked has as soon as they can, since there's really no other way for me to play invasion or play fair competitive matches in general in MCC. In the meanwhile, here's some solutions I came up with:

- Give players more xp in ranked, this would mean making the xp cap higher and giving two times the regular xp or more, make it also proportional to your rank so that people become less interested in de-ranking. Plus, add special reward to certainly tours and grade, this is for making grading up actually matter in some way or another.
- Make more challenges for competitive that give cool skins or nameplates, this is to acknowledge those who grind for them.
- Actually make the matchmaking match you with players on your rank, rather than just putting you with people of any rank.
- Add new maps and make some balancing changes to certain games, for example Invasion is pretty unbalanced and horrible to play, maybe make some changes to it like adding TU to it or making special changes to it (TU 2.0).
- Add new game modes to ranked. Modes like squad battle are cool and would like to see modes like FFA or BTB in ranked.

These things would, in my opinion, make ranked more enjoyable to play and I hope to see one or more of these be added sometime in the future. Please 343, ranked needs an update!
I wish they would make it easier to rank up. I had made a post about this too. Right now it's too hard to rank up. Gotta win 5 in a row and if you lose 1 you derank. Super punishing. I now it's H2's ranking system but wish they would make it like Xbox 360 Halo 3's.
Ranked is in a pretty bad state right now. In fact, ranked is so bad that there's no reason to play ranked at all. Low population, little to no incentives, a horrible matchmaking and ranking system, lack of variety, and almost no support; these are the main problems with ranked. So let's describe each problem:

Low population: There's not a lot of people to play with as ranked it's not really popular and it's basically only played for some minor challenges.

Lack of incentives: This one accentuates the low population even more. If there's no reason or “reward” to play ranked, nobody is going to play ranked.

Bad matchmaking.: The matchmaking as of right now is horrible. Ranks almost don't matter in ranked since the system puts you with anyone, even people with high ranks. This is a major problems since if ranked does not play as ranked, then there's no reason to play ranked when you can get the same experience in social.

Lack of variety: The majority of playlist are Halo 3 and hardcore is the main game mode. Also, not all Halos are there.

Support: It feels like 343 just side lined ranked and the most noteworthy changes they made have been adding specific challenges for ranked.

I really hope 343 fixes the issues ranked has as soon as they can, since there's really no other way for me to play invasion or play fair competitive matches in general in MCC. In the meanwhile, here's some solutions I came up with:

- Give players more xp in ranked, this would mean making the xp cap higher and giving two times the regular xp or more, make it also proportional to your rank so that people become less interested in de-ranking. Plus, add special reward to certainly tours and grade, this is for making grading up actually matter in some way or another.
- Make more challenges for competitive that give cool skins or nameplates, this is to acknowledge those who grind for them.
- Actually make the matchmaking match you with players on your rank, rather than just putting you with people of any rank.
- Add new maps and make some balancing changes to certain games, for example Invasion is pretty unbalanced and horrible to play, maybe make some changes to it like adding TU to it or making special changes to it (TU 2.0).
- Add new game modes to ranked. Modes like squad battle are cool and would like to see modes like FFA or BTB in ranked.

These things would, in my opinion, make ranked more enjoyable to play and I hope to see one or more of these be added sometime in the future. Please 343, ranked needs an update!
You hit the nail on the head. 343 should take notes from this, because these are things that are actually constructive and that, I believe, would make the overall MCC experience whole and better. I REALLY appreciate your point about social games basically being the "real" ranked play, because that is EXACTLY what it is...and it's PURELY the product of the state of ranked play. I absolutely agree that MCC ranked needs to be overhauled and your solutions are sound and SPOT ON, especially your first point of giving more xp to players for playing ranked compared to social. This alone would give a casual player like myself enough incentive to jump into ranked more often. I'm tired of playing sweaty games in social when I just want to relax....but I acknowledge this is of no fault to the players. Where else are they supposed to go???
Because the ranked selections are complete trash. There's about 10 playlists total.
  • 1 hardcore PER halo title
  • doubles for a couple of titles
  • 1 slayer for a single title
This is how ranked should be
  • 1 playlist for hardcore across all titles
  • 1 playlist for doubles across all titles
  • 1 game title playlist per title (slayer, objective, swat).

I would love to see some reworks or changes to some of the CE maps that need some polish and maybe some changes to the spawning so you don't spawn out in the open or on top of other team members. A debuff to the pistole would be cool but then again having that overpowered pistol is some of the fun in CE.

Seeing FFA in ranked would probably draw a lot of people to rank and might help rank to get some of the population it needs. The question would be if it is divided up into separate playlists or one big one. Keeping it one thing would limit choices and help keep the population good but separate allows players to focus on one game without going from H2 to H4 every other game. I wonder what games, if it was a big FFA playlist, everyone thinks should be included because personally having all games in one playlist seems like a nightmare.
I agree dude. I sometimes get matched with people that are 10 levels above me. They need to add vetoing back because I'm sick of playing the same maps over and over and they need to add high ground back to Halo 3 team slayer
Because the ranked selections are complete trash. There's about 10 playlists total.
This would concentrate the player base too much, and some people would be mad. Having to go from Halo 3 to 2 to CE and so on would make it too hard to rank up since you would need to play good across all the games, and all the games play very differently. This doesn't mean I'm against it though, in fact, a playlist that requires you to have knowledge and skills across all Halo games in order to rank up sounds cool and would make for a great MCC-like ranked playlist.
This would concentrate the player base too much, and some people would be mad. Having to go from Halo 3 to 2 to CE and so on would make it too hard to rank up since you would need to play good across all the games, and all the games play very differently. This doesn't mean I'm against it though, in fact, a playlist that requires you to have knowledge and skills across all Halo games in order to rank up sounds cool and would make for a great MCC-like ranked playlist.
Highlighted in Bold is one specific title, 3 for example. While yes, they would have to jump from title to title, it's no different then social's search where you can choose every single title. While i'm all for that, i'd rather comp be kept title specific. That way, if you only want to play 3, you'll only get 3. Plus, i have a video from 2015 that showed social and comp in the same section and was limited to that choice.
That would be perfect if we had the player base. I think they need to get rid of ranked and have a unique gametype rank like halo 3 for gametypes you like to play snipes/slayer for each different halo. Social is sweaty as is. At least it would be nice for people who like to play the swat/snipes or just objectives gametypes.
That would be perfect if we had the player base. I think they need to get rid of ranked and have a unique gametype rank like halo 3 for gametypes you like to play snipes/slayer for each different halo. Social is sweaty as is. At least it would be nice for people who like to play the swat/snipes or just objectives gametypes.
This is a video of mine from 2015. That shows ranked and social in the same list as well as playlists for stuff.