Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Flood Firefight might not be in Season 8!

OP EshockerD

So you might have already heard that not all features from the Season 8 flight will be appearing at the release of Season 8, and that might possibly (in my eyes at least) mean that Flood Firefight won't be making the cut. During my time testing the new mode I saw that there is a lot of stuff that still needs to be ironed out, and it's understandable don't get me wrong, It's just that with everything else that's on their plate I don't know if they would find the time to polish it up completely. I would love for it to be released in Season 8 but I'm also looking at it realistically. If you have any thoughts or if I'm completely wrong about any of this, please let me know! I would appreciate it.
I think you're right, but i wouldn't say it won't be released at season 8.
Like you, i see Flood Firefight "uncompleted" too, it's like an early-access game. It's still needs to be worked on, but it's not too far to become a "full-game".
I would say, instead, that it won't be available at launch (hmmm... where do i have heard those words... anyway...) but it will be released mid-season like Reach's CGB.
the ODST Firefight changes are certainly the most likely to meet the axe for this season; between the broken flood carrier AI and the missing Stealth Elite's, this wasn't really finished so much as this was more of a mid-development test to garner feedback on the current direction they are taking things in, while they work out the nitty gritty of the voice work and AI functions, completely understandable as far as I'm concerned.

this could mean Season 9 is going to favor more of the Firefight side of things, which if true, means they might make some significant improvements to Reach's firefight mode as well, such as restoring drones and Elite players ability to assassinate ODST NPC's. they may even go into having CGB functionality for both it and ODST.
I wouldn’t mind if it gets delayed to season 9 to ensure it’s polished. The fact that Flood Firefight is being added is incredible in itself.
Personally I would be a little upset but also willing to wait to get a well polished Flood Firefight. Wasnt able to try it myself as i just got back into MCC but it sounds like exactly the kind of thing i want to see added.
I think you're right, but i wouldn't say it won't be released at season 8.
Like you, i see Flood Firefight "uncompleted" too, it's like an early-access game. It's still needs to be worked on, but it's not too far to become a "full-game".
I would say, instead, that it won't be available at launch (hmmm... where do i have heard those words... anyway...) but it will be released mid-season like Reach's CGB.
You made me chuckle with that "at launch" joke and yes you do have a point, it is possible to release it during the season, at first I didn't think that would be possible but as you stated it has happened in the past and you're right it has. Thank you for adding your thoughts!
I'm definitely willing to wait if it means they'll polish it and get it to the quality it needs to be.
P.S. They should use the extra time to also increase ODST's Firefight options to at least be on par with Reach's options.
Omega399 wrote:
the ODST Firefight changes are certainly the most likely to meet the axe for this season; between the broken flood carrier AI and the missing Stealth Elite's, this wasn't really finished so much as this was more of a mid-development test to garner feedback on the current direction they are taking things in, while they work out the nitty gritty of the voice work and AI functions, completely understandable as far as I'm concerned.

this could mean Season 9 is going to favor more of the Firefight side of things, which if true, means they might make some significant improvements to Reach's firefight mode as well, such as restoring drones and Elite players ability to assassinate ODST NPC's. they may even go into having CGB functionality for both it and ODST.
That last part about adding in Custom Game Browser support to Firefight, would be another dream idea I would love to see, dropping into a random firefight match would be such a great idea if this could be done. Right now however before that happens, I really want H2C/A content getting prioritized for Season 9 and finishing up the current Custom Game Browser as is for PVP (H2C/A and 4 for Season 9 getting added in). Then I really want to see Campaign Coop Matchmaking get introduced in the MCC, probably in phases like the CGB for each game. Then maybe come back to working on more Firefight improvements.
Omega399 wrote:

I can see what you mean by it could be a development build and they wanted others to get a taste of how things are currently while receiving feedback, yet I wonder if this feature had a mid to late season release, would that be enough time for it to come out polished? Don't take this the wrong way I most definitely wouldn't want the feature to come out rushed or unfinished, I am just not a game dev and I can not determine how much time is needed for these features, could be more or less time than we expect. So with that being said, the completed and polished feature would either be a mid to late season release (being the best case scenario) or a season 9 release, either way I'll still be really happy that it's becoming a reality!

With the discussion of Season 9, that could be anyone's guess. I know a lot of people want H2C/A to get some love but I also know how hard it is to work with their engines, so a firefight focused season isn't too far off from being a possibility. Thank you for adding your thoughts!
ODST's Firefight update does need a good bit of work to make it properly fun. But 343 will hopefully get on the right track, they're close as it is. I would be shocked if the Firefight changes come out when season 8 releases.
Without any access to the scenario file the developers have it's hard to say for certain, but to me it looks like they haven't added combat data in (specifically AI waypoints / firing points) properly so the AI doesn't know how to navigate.

In theory though that should be not too hard to fix, because you can take it from already existing AI.

I had the same problem making Firefight in CE at first because I accidentally removed the information the AI needs. I've managed to create AI navigation data entirely from scratch for another map I'm working on, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

There's nothing particularly special needed to get AI working in levels, but if you don't add or copy the data to tell it how to work, you get enemies that stands still or can't navigate properly.
i see all the points of all of you have made but personally flood firefight is one of the key components for this season and if its not there i worry that next season wont be about H2A
If it needs time to cook, so be it. But this is one of my favorite additions in the s8 flight.
If they add the flood to ODST's firefight then I hope they also add them to Reach's. Personally I'd like to see it as a horror theme rather than just another shooting gallery. But that's just my two cents.
If they add the flood to ODST's firefight then I hope they also add them to Reach's. Personally I'd like to see it as a horror theme rather than just another shooting gallery. But that's just my two cents.
ODST will get the update reach wont flood don't exist in reach so they would have to code from scratch. And on top of that 343 have barely ever coded the flood CEA, H2A, they didn't change gameplay code HW2 would be the only one i can think of
ODST will get the update reach wont flood don't exist in reach so they would have to code from scratch. And on top of that 343 have barely ever coded the flood CEA, H2A, they didn't change gameplay code HW2 would be the only one i can think of
Oh well.