Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Guide: Weekly Legendary MMC Campaign Challenges

OP samurai1226

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I gathered some informations and did some tests about the new weekly campaign challenges in the MCC how to complete them as fast as possible. First some general stuff about the challenges:
General Information:
  • Each week you can earn XP by completing a mission in each Halo title on each difficulty in MCC.
  • That means you get an Easy, Normal, Heroic and Legendary challenge for all 6 MCC campaigns (3 released on PC).
  • Xbox and PC challenges are counting as the same, so you can't complete a campaign challenge on Xbox and PC twice.
  • If you complete a higher difficulty you automatically complete the lower ones.
  • Completing all difficulty 4 challenges for one campaign grants you 55.000 XP, which results in total of 330.000 XP per week.
  • When you complete a mission you will get a popup for each completed challenge in the following score or loading screen.
  • Reset of the challenges is weekly on Wednesday at 10 am.
Requirements:
  • You can freely choose your prefered mission for the challenges, playing missions in Campaign Playlists count too.
  • You have to start at Rallypoint Alpha of a mission.
  • You can play the missions in coop if you like.
  • You can't use skulls that reset the score multiplier (like the Scarab Gun Skull in H2A).
Issues:
  • There is currently no way to track which mission you already completed for a week.
  • Really make sure that the popups for the completion appear, sometimes the MCC will not register your completion and not reward you with the XP either. Then you have to do the mission again.
  • If you level up through finishing a campaign challenge, you will NOT have the season point instantly. Restart the game and it appears correctly.
So to get the XP as fast as possible, I gathered some legendary speedrun tutorials (kudos to these great guys) and tips that should make you able to do all 6 campaign challenges pretty fast. With a bit of practing I am sure that in the upcoming weeks choosing these missions and following these guides will make you able to complete all challenges within an hour.
I recommend the following campaign levels for the challenges:
  • Halo Reach: Nightfall. You can run through the whole level pretty easy. The only tricky parts are when you leave the first base and getting the Forklift position right - Speedrun Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0_nCnLHvSI
  • Halo CE: Keyes. Do Flood Bump glitch in the beginning (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh6RkKulLJ8). It takes a few tries to get it right, especially since the pet flood sometimes will not stand up but stay dead (you will get a checkpoint if he's really dead, so you have to restart the level). After meeting Keyes, I prefer killing the few floods on the way to the Banshee, so you have time to recharge your shields. - Speedrun Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXjkJvvnSg
  • Halo 2: Upspring. This is really easy and really fast. You bascially just run through the level and use your camo on the right spots. In some spots it can be safe to just kill single enemies with the sword. - Speedrun Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj04MzTkAI
  • Halo 3: Tsavo Highway. You bascially just drive through the level with the Warthog and a Chopper. On the last part I found it more safe and easier to enter a wraith and mortar your way through the last few brutes. - Speedrun Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU7k_rgiQZc
  • Halo ODST: Uplift. Also really easy and really fast. It can take a few tries to not get killed by the first few vehicles you pass. After that you just drive through the right spots. - Speedrun Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Dzla8P-jw
  • As an alternative you can try Tayari Plaza, but it requires more shooting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaUGsZWjtE)
  • Halo 4: Shutdown. It's a pretty known glitch that you can just fly directly to the last part of the mission. Compared to the speedrun I would recommend to just shoot your way through the last encounter, the glitch with getting catapulted through the hall and not having the enemies spawn is really difficult. Just save a Fuel Rod and nades for the hunters - Speedrun Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4AljTTbleI
If you got more informations and tricks that could be even faster, please reply them here. I will try to update the post.
Comprehensive guide! Thank you for writing this.
Just a quick tip for playing any level on ODST- throw the tilt skull on. As an ODST, it actually gives you more resistance to enemy projectiles, almost as if it gives you a health boost. You’ll be able to take quite a bit more hits with tilt on.
Just a quick tip for playing any level on ODST- throw the tilt skull on. As an ODST, it actually gives you more resistance to enemy projectiles, almost as if it gives you a health boost. You’ll be able to take quite a bit more hits with tilt on.
Does it make the first part of Uplift Reserve faster? That seems to be the only “tough” spot.
tuhin94 wrote:
Does it make the first part of Uplift Reserve faster? That seems to be the only “tough” spot.
Yes, I've tried it with and without Tilt on, and it does give you increased damage resistance. So much so that I never die at the beginning of Uplift Reserve anymore. Without it sometimes a Wraith gunner or a chopper can cut you down pretty quick.
tuhin94 wrote:
Yes, I've tried it with and without Tilt on, and it does give you increased damage resistance. So much so that I never die at the beginning of Uplift Reserve anymore. Without it sometimes a Wraith gunner or a chopper can cut you down pretty quick.
Nice, that’s great to know for next week. The Choppers and Wraith gunners are a real nuisance at the beginning!
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Nice, that’s great to know for next week. The Choppers and Wraith gunners are a real nuisance at the beginning!
For some reason I don't always get the 4 challenges to pop when completing uplift reserve. If it doesn't, just restarting MCC or your Xbox, then repeating the level again seems to do the trick. I can also get through Kizingo Boulevard pretty fast too, so that's my backup in case Uplift isn't playing nice.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
For some reason I don't always get the 4 challenges to pop when completing uplift reserve. If it doesn't, just restarting MCC or your Xbox, then repeating the level again seems to do the trick. I can also get through Kizingo Boulevard pretty fast too, so that's my backup in case Uplift isn't playing nice.
Odd. I've used UL twice now (two weekly challenges) and the level seems to work well. Did you use Tilt during all attempts? I wonder if using the skull interferes with the challenge since there is a restriction on the types of skulls you can use. Perhaps the game doesn't always properly register Tilt as a valid skull.
I would slightly disagree with your list as some of the missions involves using highly technical or RNG based strategies that aren't that easy to perform consistently. It's always preferable if the mission of choice is extremely easy, consistent compared to being as short as possible. Another bonus is that the mission of choice should also be open to players at every single tier.

Here is my pick for the best possible mission for beating this challenge for the respective Halo titles.
Spoiler:
Show
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Odd. I've used UL twice now (two weekly challenges) and the level seems to work well. Did you use Tilt during all attempts? I wonder if using the skull interferes with the challenge since there is a restriction on the types of skulls you can use. Perhaps the game doesn't always properly register Tilt as a valid skull.
You should be able to use Tilt without any consequences regarding the completion of the challenge.
tuhin94 wrote:
Give a marine your spartan laser and have him in passenger seat its really effective
I would slightly disagree with your list as some of the missions involves using highly technical or RNG based strategies that aren't that easy to perform consistently. It's always preferable if the mission of choice is extremely easy, consistent compared to being as short as possible. Another bonus is that the mission of choice should also be open to players at every single tier.

Here is my pick for the best possible mission for beating this challenge for the respective Halo titles.
Spoiler:
Show
Agreed. I'm not the best player (although I've been playing Halo since 2001) so having a chance to rank up via campaigns are great. I love the integration of challenges. I've been able to master Halo CE- POA, Halo 2 - Outskirts, and ODST upflit reserve. None required much skill. The others I felt had too much luck involved. Even Halo 3 Floodgate had me annoyed as I could make the jump when standing on the explosive cores. I'll have to give your list a go for the others. I agree I hate it when it's random... give me easy, but consistent.

Although the challenges are about to reset in 3 minutes here at 1pm EST, so maybe this whole thing is moot. Looking forward to what this week brings!
tuhin94 wrote:
Umm....doesn't that completely negate getting any challenge xp?

Edit - I'll be damned, never mind. I've been trying legendary without the skulls that don't decrease your score, never realizing I can use them. I literally completed odst and Halo 1 on legendary so much quicker.
Reezick wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

Edit - I'll be damned, never mind. I've been trying legendary without the skulls that don't decrease your score, never realizing I can use them. I literally completed odst and Halo 1 on legendary so much quicker.
Haha glad this trick helped you out! I don’t think it is a zero score modifier with tilt on so feel free to use it as much as you want. It is especially helpful in games with heath mechanics such as Reach, CE, and ODST.
Reezick wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

It's always good to use skulls to your own advantage. In the mission Uplift Reserve, I do usually combine Tilt and Mythic in order to get as much health and damage resistance as possible which makes it possible to drive through the mission fairly consistently. Another tip in order to make the mission even easier is to also have 2 Marines in your Warthog for an even higher health pool and then exchange until you exchange it for a Ghost at or just before the area which is also used as a firefight map.
Anyone know what this weeks campaign challenges are?
Anyone know what this weeks campaign challenges are?
The typical ones - complete one mission from each game on legendary to get 55,000 XP, for a total of 330,000 XP for all six games.
The challenges will likely be the same every week until we get a UI for them.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
The challenges will likely be the same every week until we get a UI for them.
Seriously. I love the challenges but really hope that next week they either provide the menu update to track or just mix it up a bit.

I'm starting to have dreams of my run throughs of upflit reserve and pillar of autumn.

Spoiler:
Show
No offense, but you literally picked harder missions compared to the OPs picks. I literally use the exact same ones as the OP due to the ease of these missions.

Halo reach: ightfall should always be everyone’s top choice since you literally pass thru every encounter, then use the forklift to jump thru that wall. Takes 4 minutes.

halo CE: keys with the flood bump is crazy fast. Easiest method by far. Nothing else compares.

Halo 2: uprising with those skulls you mentioned to allow you to jump up the mountain in the beginning, side stepping the whole mission. Takes 45 seconds to 3 minutes depending on grenade jumping.

Halo 3: Tsavo Highway Is again the best choice (and easiest) which can be done in 4 m8nutes, but if you wanna play it safe, get a wraith at the end and kill the remaining enemies with it for a guaranteed finish in 5-10 minutes.

Halo 3 ODST: uplift is an easy mission to just drive and never fire a since shot (used this for my vidmaster legendary no shot classic challenge back in the day), but you can also use tayari plaza and easily beat it in under 3 minutes if you know the corners to hug. More of a risk but very satisfying.

halo 4: shutdown... skipping the majority of the mission by flying to the last building can have you beat the mission in 5-7 minutes.

Again, your choices just make it so you spend more time and energy running thru these every week. If this is what we’re going to do weekly, why make it harder on yourself? You may prefer the missions you wrote, and that’s fine, but you’re just cheating yourself by making it harder.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2