Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Halo 3 Anniversary Official Thread

OP nicklaus343

This is the thread to post your thoughts on H3A. Discuss whether or not you want it to be made and why. Also talk about whether it should be added to MCC or made as its own game.

Reasons for it being stand alone:
-if it is stand alone 343 will most likely put more content in it than if it is added to MCC
-MCC has subpar servers at best it could ruin the H3A experience as it did, to an extent, to H2A
-they could remake many too all the maps (I think 12 would suffice) instead of just 6 or 7
-they could add a firefight mode within the campaign (there are many cool environments and battlegrounds which would make for very fun firefight).

Reasons for it being added to MCC:
-it would keep everything consolidated
-you wouldn't need to purchase another game to play it

Reasons for it not being made:
-the game still looks good and does not need a graphical update
-halo 3 is already available on Xbox One (through MCC)
-343 should be focusing their attention and resources towards Halo 6 instead
-343 could end up making the H3A gameplay stray too much from the original (with new aimers, weapons, damage, balance, etc) that it would ruin the halo 3 experience that we all love

Note: I don't believe all of these reasons I mentioned they are just things I have noticed other people say about H3A. I personally would like to see it made as its own game for the reasons mentioned above, but I also understand the opposition

What did I miss? What do you want regarding H3A? Discuss
No! again H3A should be its own game as it was HaloCE Anniversary on the 360. The MCC is dead.
No! again H3A should be its own game as it was HaloCE Anniversary on the 360. The MCC is dead.
I agree my friend. They could really go all out on it if it is stand alone. All the good maps remade, bring back all the playlists and game types the original had along with weekly/weekend playlists contains popular halo 3 mini games and how cool would it be if they added a firefight mode within the halo 3 campaign? The awesome scarab sections would make for fantastic endless firefight battles
H3A would not only be a way to put a fresh coat of paint on a already great looking game but could be a way to get the classic community back together again, but it should most definitely be it's own game and it should come with firefight and cinematic cutscenes. I imagine the main menu being like it's original with the blue tinted fly around and the main menu should show

START SOLO GAME
CAMPAIGN
MATCHMAKING (Not multiplayer...MATCHMAKING, just please call it matchmaking)/CLASSIC/ANNIVERSARY
CUSTOM GAMES/CLASSIC/ANNIVERSARY
*FIREFIGHT
FORGE/CLASSIC/ANNIVERSARY
THEATRE

File share would be more accessible like in H3A where if your in matchmaking or customs and waiting for a game to start you could check a person's file share by the roster which could from the main menu go in and out of view by X and in lobby it's always there as a lobby...practically just like reach.

Firefight would just be specific remade areas from the anniversary campaign and new areas, never seen before.

Unlocking armor would still be achievement/stat based along with some new armor. I WANT ALL ORIGINAL ACHIEVEMENTS! ! and some new ones.
H3A as a stand-alone title would only work (imo) if it was presented almost identically to the way that ODST did at original release. You give the HD update of H3, and the multiplayer component works with the MCC and provides a Title Update that fixes remaining multiplayer issues. I don't think there's an audience to essentially do an MCC2, which is what H3A would essentially be. You'd need to use H3A as an add-on to the MCC with the Title Update so that it brings back a percentage of people who already own the MCC.

It could work and in fact, I can't see this being a bad move in any sense, unless 343 simply thinks that so much damage has been done to the MCC from a PR standpoint that even doing an H3A wouldn't show a return on investment. I have to imagine that enough interest would be there, but this idea has probably long been discussed by 343 already because let's face it, the MCC (if working "perfectly") was supposed to be a golden egg/cash-cow.
H3A shouldn't really exist because MCC exists, however if it were made I would want substantial content added. I would want more maps than what originally launched with the game specifically lots of halo 2 maps in halo 3's engine. Should also have an overhauled forge mode comparable to halo 2A or halo 5. SO essentially the only way to justify an H3A is a full overhaul of its engine to support new features and better graphics.
Here are my ideas regarding firefight. I think a firefight map per campaign level would work.
Sierra 117- the last part of the level where you rescue Johnson and his crew.

Crows Nest- the hangar section towards the beginning of the level where you need to fend off the invading phantoms

Tsavo Highway- the area towards the end with the two wraiths and a lot of choppers that has the big hill in the middle. This one would probably be a little more vehicle based

Storm- the scarab section. This would probably have heavy weapons and vehicles involved

Floodgate- there is an area towards the end where you fight through a bunch of flood outside with cliffs to your left

The Ark- the scarab section of this one too. Again probably vehicle based with heavy weapons available

Covenant- the part with the scorpion where you fight a lot of covenant on the snowy cliffs which leads directly into the scarab fight. Hornets and lasers would be available for large scale combat

Cortana- the room where you destroy the cores of high charity which causes it to explode

Halo- the top of the tower leading to the control room
Another point I would like to mention is the multiplayer feel. I really think the gameplay and feel of halo 3 shouldn't be altered in its anniversary. There should be the same weapons, aimers, balance, damage, spawns, etc. No need to add in aspects from newer games like armor abilities, hit indicators, newer weapons, etc. Keep the classic feel and gameplay because after all that is why it sold so well and is loved by the community. Agree? Disagree?
Another point I would like to mention is the multiplayer feel. I really think the gameplay and feel of halo 3 shouldn't be altered in its anniversary. There should be the same weapons, aimers, balance, damage, spawns, etc. No need to add in aspects from newer games like armor abilities, hit indicators, newer weapons, etc. Keep the classic feel and gameplay because after all that is why it sold so well and is loved by the community. Agree? Disagree?
I would agree but this is an oversimplification of what would need to be done. First off, do you want it to run at 60fps, because if so, changes do actually need to be made to the mechanics of the game to compensate for the additional fps. Secondly, as 343 has demonstrated, if they're going to remaster a game, they're going to put their stamp on it (i.e. H2A gameplay) and my best guess would be that if this remake was going to happen, 343 would put their version of updated H3 mechanics in the game, and it would likely be somewhat of a beta test to see what features that could include in H6 or beyond. I would love to see an H3A made, but I don't think it'll remain "unadulterated" if it were to actually happen.
Should it be made? Yeah, I can get behind the idea.

Added to MCC? I would agree. Should issue a rerelease of MCC with new content or added to existing for small fee. Like no more than $10 for owners. Could also be considered a stand-alone DLC style release like they did with map packs for Halo 2 back in the day.

MCC = Master Chief Collection. It makes sense to keep the original titles together, including a new Anniversary remake.

MCC is not dead, it just hasn't seen the populations it once did. I still play it weekly and create montages from it.