Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo 3 multiplayer is not fun and kinda boring

OP Geth Pathfinder

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
After playing a few more matches since the MCC update, I continue to be irritated with Halo 3. Most games have unbalanced teams, the weapons feel like BB guns, and I feel like I’m moving underwater. Why is Halo 3 so popular among Halo fans? I keep playing Halo 3, thinking that if I get good enough, I will enjoy Halo 3 as much as 4 and Reach. So far this isn’t the case. I have played the MCC on and off for two years and still can’t get into H3 as much as H4

I would say maybe I just suck at Halo, but I have fun in H2, H2A, H4, and Reach. Halo CE is fun sometimes but other times frustrating. Halo 3 is almost always frustrating. Even BTB in H3 is frustratingly slow. I have the most fun, when I focus on messing around instead of doing good.
Agree with some of the others who mentioned that H3 holds a nostalgic place in many people's hearts. It was an early shooter on the new 360, which for many may have been their first console. It also moved Halo into a new level of graphical quality, which is highly important to a large number of gamers. That being said, I also agree with you that default H3 has a large number of faults. You mentioned the slow movement speed (speed was upped to 110% for competitive/hardcore gaming) and BB gun BR. The BR spread is larger than every other halo, which is noticeable the further you are from an opponent. In addition, unlike other Halo BRs, there exists bullet lag, meaning players are required to lead their shots (again efforts to combat this problem in the competitive/hardcore playlists meant increasing damage to 110%). Then there is my least favorite aspect of default H3 - Equipment. Bubble Shields and Regens bring the already slow title (in terms of movement speed and kill-times) to a halt. You'll notice all equipment was removed for the competitive settings in order to improve the flow of the game.

Conclusion: H3 is not my favorite halo, but very fun games can be had with the proper settings and map choices. Just don't expect to "four" many players :)
The one thing I absolutely cannot bear right now for H3 in the MCC is how, in the Team Slayer playlist, almost every game has AR/pistol starts, especially on maps like Standoff and Snowbound, big wide-open spaces where you're basically just a sitting duck if you don't have a BR or other precision weapon. In Snowbound, if you spawn in the middle of the map and the enemy has a beam rifle, you're screwed.

So, if you're stuck with an AR the whole game, it can get pretty boring and, in most cases, unfair. I never really liked H3. I never played it on the 360, so I don't know how much better it is that way, but now that it's mostly fixed on the MCC, I can probably enjoy it a bit more, but not if I'm always going to spawn at a disadvantage. BR starts, please.
It does honestly seem like the Halo 3 fans can be a bit.. Rabid sometimes.. I feel like the ones who LOVE it played it extensively when it came out, became really good, and because of the skill gap (projectiles and all that) they remained above everyone else and therefore could pwn noobs you might say. I'm honestly not that good at Halo 3 anymore and because the aiming is so different from all the others it really can be frustrating to play.

Don't get me wrong it honestly has some of the best art direction and physics (and AI) in the series but the MP can be a real -Yoink- sometimes.

*EDIT

Also you may notice how everyone always talks about BRs, its BR this and BR that. That's because in Halo 3 BR is king. Whether you want it to be or not, just like Halo 1 where the Pistol was king. Close range or long range the BR is the weapon of choice (annoyingly so). That makes nearly all battles (especially with high level players) feel samey and predictable. They NEVER use a variety of weapons beyond the BR and usually the Sniper and maybe the Rocket Launcher.

Just my thoughts.
Yeah Halo 3 is a bad game. The movement speed, aim acceleration, br spread, OP melee, equipment, lack of hitscan, fov, bad maps.

Playing h1 and h2 then playing h3 really showcases all these glaring faults. Hell even h4 plays far more similar to h1/2, they fixed most of the issues from h3.

The only reason h3 is so popular is because it was most people's first halo. Pretty much everyone who played h1/h2 back in the day prefer those games.
Yeah Halo 3 is a bad game. The movement speed, aim acceleration, br spread, OP melee, equipment, lack of hitscan, fov, bad maps.

Playing h1 and h2 then playing h3 really showcases all these glaring faults. Hell even h4 plays far more similar to h1/2, they fixed most of the issues from h3.

The only reason h3 is so popular is because it was most people's first halo. Pretty much everyone who played h1/h2 back in the day prefer those games.
Yeah, I’m a weird combination. I started with Halo CE but didn’t play online until Halo 4, so I’m use to and prefer the newer Halos but at the same time played the classic Halos. I loved H3 back in the day for the campaign and splitscreen.
I was a huge player of H2 back in the day, during the time H3 came out life took over but I only toyed with it, then got back into the series heavily with Reach. This is kind of like a second chance for me and I’m loving it. It has its issues, but I respect it for what it is. One thing is for sure, it has a ton of great maps compared to newer titles.
LethalQ wrote:
I still say yes H3 has aged the worse out of all the titles. Sure I loved it back in the day but not so much now. I enjoy playing all the other titles, yes even H4, more so than H3, H4 legendary dominion is still one of the best btb games to date. I just want the other btb playlist already.
Have to agree, Halo 3 has not aged well, I also loved it when it launched on the 360, but as I've stated in other threads, it's old and it feels old. It's horrible to play now imo.
Always remember that the most popular Halo is usually far from the best Halo. Most people truly enjoy H3 because it was their first one as well as the most accessible in the OT.
I'm wondering if it's a generation thing, how long have you been playing OP? Halo Reach and beyond are much faster ways to play Halo, especially in multiplayer. I'd be curious to see if players who came onto the Halo scene post 2010 feel a similar way that you do. Personally, while Halo Reach to me is one of my favorites, there's something about the original three games that keeps bringing me back, but I can see your point for sure. I do prefer playing the Halo 3 campaign over it's MCC multiplayer as well, so maybe I'm bias.. But, the nostalgia is sometimes enough to keep me going back to Halo 2/3 multiplayer.
I'm wondering if it's a generation thing, how long have you been playing OP? Halo Reach and beyond are much faster ways to play Halo, especially in multiplayer. I'd be curious to see if players who came onto the Halo scene post 2010 feel a similar way that you do. Personally, while Halo Reach to me is one of my favorites, there's something about the original three games that keeps bringing me back, but I can see your point for sure. I do prefer playing the Halo 3 campaign over it's MCC multiplayer as well, so maybe I'm bias.. But, the nostalgia is sometimes enough to keep me going back to Halo 2/3 multiplayer.
Not sure about it being a generation thing. I'm a first day Halo player. I bought my original Xbox for Halo CE. I enjoyed Halo 3 back in the day, but I cannot play it's multiplayer any more. I'm in my fifties too, and I seem to have no taste for relaxed gaming, I prefer the pace of Doom, Titanfall etc.
I'm wondering if it's a generation thing, how long have you been playing OP? Halo Reach and beyond are much faster ways to play Halo, especially in multiplayer. I'd be curious to see if players who came onto the Halo scene post 2010 feel a similar way that you do. Personally, while Halo Reach to me is one of my favorites, there's something about the original three games that keeps bringing me back, but I can see your point for sure. I do prefer playing the Halo 3 campaign over it's MCC multiplayer as well, so maybe I'm bias.. But, the nostalgia is sometimes enough to keep me going back to Halo 2/3 multiplayer.
Started with Halo CE in 2006 but didn’t have Xbox Live until 2016. I started online with Reach and 4 but loved the Halo 3 campaign. Halo 4 easily has the best maps, imo. Didn’t play Halo 3 much online until the MCC. I feel like the 4v4 maps are less enjoyable as well as gameplay. I actually enjoy Halo 2 multiplayer, so I wouldn’t say it’s classic gameplay but Halo 3 specifically that I don’t like. I absolutely love Halo 2A multiplayer. Classic gameplay with a modern look and feel. I hope they add more maps!
Nadesicle wrote:
You're not fun and kinda boring.

Why do people make opinion based posts that have no positive outcome or reasoning behind it? I'll never know.

Halo 3 is the fan favorite, so regardless of your personal opinion, the vast majority of Halo fans disagree and it shows in playlist population.
Honestly, frustration. After playing many matches of Halo 3, I don’t understand why it is “the fan favorite”. I’m asking why do some many think that it is the best?

Popularity doesn’t mean the best. If the majority like a game because it’s their first video game, Halo game, cool trailers, etc, that doesn’t make it the best.
In order to have fun in halo 3 you need a party of people to play with my man, fire up the o’l headset and talk to your team, make some friends, this is what H3 was all about. A fun and competitive community that had a drive to converse and interact with each other and most importantly have fun. Give it a try, you’ll find your love with that game, if you don’t I’m just afraid you’re 10 or so years too late my friend.
Nadesicle wrote:
In order to have fun in halo 3 you need a party of people to play with my man, fire up the o’l headset and talk to your team, make some friends, this is what H3 was all about. A fun and competitive community that had a drive to converse and interact with each other and most importantly have fun. Give it a try, you’ll find your love with that game, if you don’t I’m just afraid you’re 10 or so years too late my friend.
I have a few Xbox Live friends but not many that play the MCC. Hardly any random people use headsets. Most people that talk in this game are either kids or some guy complaining about bad teammates, namely me because I suck at the game.
I think the reason OP feels put off by H3 is also the same reason the H3 fans do as well. Common denominator is 343. The update has taken another 43 steps back. The playlists are atrocious and nothing even remotely close to Bungies. Cross gametypes with no vote has diluted the games even further. Now there are more maps missing from slayer to make room for a chopped version of snipers that doesn’t even have a beam rifle. Again, nothing like bungies playlist.
The mcc was supposed to be all about h2 coming back, but now it's all about h3. We don't need 6 halo 3 playlist
Halo 3 has aged badly. Halo's aim was better in the Xbox 360's version. I love this game but i would like to separate and valorize playlists, for example btb for each halo. Popularity is not a synonymous of perfection and the community is not just the one who participated in the survey. I want the 343 to find the personality to unite all the fans of this beautiful game. I played it since 2002 and I experienced the evolution of this game for the better or for the worse from the very first moment to the last. As much as I love the trilogy's story, I am one of the few who has appreciated halo 4 gameplay, not the management of the ranked, but the play on the battlefield. Tactics and fun! I understand that it is not easy to get used to the news and everyone has their own tastes, but what is needed for this game is a kick-as* guide able to listen.
In summary adjust sensitivity, dead areas, the aim and enhance all halo, expecially BTB.
Mcc is not just halo 3.
Halo 3 is my favorite game in the series but I understand that people have always had issues with it. Its where most people came to halo and we had forge + an amazing custom game system so it was really a good time playing. Bungie was also cool with the community so they actually visited the forums and did bungie favorites which sparked the boom in people posting stuff to youtube. The common complaint against halo 3 is almost always the aim feeling off. I can agree that there are inconsistencies with shot registration but its mostly just people complaining because they have awful aim and cant play any games without hitscan weapons. The weapons feeling like BB guns is probably because of the redundant dual wielding guns when you dont have 2 because then theyre just -Yoink- to use compared to precision weapons like the BR or carbine. Most of the other issues come from MCCs poor matchmaking system so people who were playing it from 2007-2010 got a truly wonderful experience. On MCC, its bad because poor map/mode combinations and no incentive to play
Nadesicle wrote:
You're not fun and kinda boring.

Why do people make opinion based posts that have no positive outcome or reasoning behind it? I'll never know.

Halo 3 is the fan favorite, so regardless of your personal opinion, the vast majority of Halo fans disagree and it shows in playlist population.
Honestly, frustration. After playing many matches of Halo 3, I don’t understand why it is “the fan favorite”. I’m asking why do some many think that it is the best?

Popularity doesn’t mean the best. If the majority like a game because it’s their first video game, Halo game, cool trailers, etc, that doesn’t make it the best.
H3 on 360 was a much more refined and fun experience. People enjoy it for it pure simplicity and ability at default to be played super casual or extremely competitive. It was well rounded for all and the skill gap was high.
By your logic of popularity not being the best that would mean that only 10 people played H4 for their first Halo experience. That game tanking had abdolutely nothing to due with closing the skill gap, gimmicky nonsense and terrible maps right? Just to name a few of its endless flaws. Even Halo 3’s worst day on MCC was better than H4 at launch.
STOMPDOWN wrote:
Nadesicle wrote:
You're not fun and kinda boring.

Why do people make opinion based posts that have no positive outcome or reasoning behind it? I'll never know.

Halo 3 is the fan favorite, so regardless of your personal opinion, the vast majority of Halo fans disagree and it shows in playlist population.
Honestly, frustration. After playing many matches of Halo 3, I don’t understand why it is “the fan favorite”. I’m asking why do some many think that it is the best?

Popularity doesn’t mean the best. If the majority like a game because it’s their first video game, Halo game, cool trailers, etc, that doesn’t make it the best.
H3 on 360 was a much more refined and fun experience. People enjoy it for it pure simplicity and ability at default to be played super casual or extremely competitive. It was well rounded for all and the skill gap was high.
By your logic of popularity not being the best that would mean that only 10 people played H4 for their first Halo experience. That game tanking had abdolutely nothing to due with closing the skill gap, gimmicky nonsense and terrible maps right? Just to name a few of its endless flaws. Even Halo 3’s worst day on MCC was better than H4 at launch.
It’s all opinion. Imo, Halo 4 is the best online experience that I have ever played. I think it was unpopular because of people who didn’t want change from the original Halo formula. I get it to a certain extent; H5G feels too different and kinda stale. I’m not saying that popularity means nothing. I’m just saying that because a game is popular, doesn’t mean it’s objectively better.

Every flaw you gave H4 is subjective:
Closing skill gap: more fun for casuals
“gimmicky nonsense”: bias/not an argument
how about good customization, unique loadouts, weapon skins, AA,
Terrible maps: best BTB maps of any Halo
Ragnarok, Vortex, Meltdown, and Exile, are all epic

H3 has bad maps, terrible movement, weak sound effects, garbage BR, underpowered weapons, and overpowered melee. My argument is subjective too but you see my point. H3 on MCC is a terrible experience, it’s funny to even compare it to the glorious H4 matches I’m played.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2