Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo 4 Squad Battle No Custom Loadouts

OP JG Graffiti

Halo 4 is the only multiplayer Halo Game in MCC to offer personalized loadouts and the only matchmaking playlist that features Halo 4 has preset loadouts. This would be okay with me if there was a variety of presets but there are only three, and each only spawns you with one grenade I believe. I guess I'm just curious as to why they went this route, do you think it was a good choice, and would you prefer to use your own loadouts yourself? I know I would.
Halo 4 is the only multiplayer Halo Game in MCC to offer personalized loadouts and the only matchmaking playlist that features Halo 4 has preset loadouts. This would be okay with me if there was a variety of presets but there are only three, and each only spawns you with one grenade I believe. I guess I'm just curious as to why they went this route, do you think it was a good choice, and would you prefer to use your own loadouts yourself? I know I would.
Lots of people complained about the load outs and req drops stuff so 343 reduced those aspects of the game. Honestly they should have left it infinity slayer because those things made halo 4 unique. However many people seem to want halo games to all play similarly to halo 3 so we get this "blandification" kind of thing happening to most of the MCC versions of the halo games.
Seems like it's geared towards roles in objective games over random loadouts.
Lots of people complained about the load outs and req drops stuff so 343 reduced those aspects of the game. Honestly they should have left it infinity slayer because those things made halo 4 unique. However many people seem to want halo games to all play similarly to halo 3 so we get this "blandification" kind of thing happening to most of the MCC versions of the halo games.
It is a ranked game mode and needs to take in consideration that H4’s vanilla mode is too random for competition. Squad slayer features the least game breaking armor abilities and reduced grenades to foster a mode in which the team with superior gun play and map control wins. I was surprised that it includes modes like extraction and dominion which I’ve really warmed up too as those were H4 original game modes that had some competitive potential. Overall it’s pretty fun and reminds me that even H4 with the right settings can be just as fun as it’s siblings

Personally I never liked infinity slayer, it’s probably my least favorite game mode in all of the MCC. It’s not fun when the guy with camo grabs the random sniper spawn, gets a kill streak and spawns another sniper as ordnance. The room for counter play and prediction is heavily suppressed in favor of copy and pasted elements from other games.

Infinity slayer is available in 4v4/8v8 social and that’s where it should remain. If I had my way I would cut it altogether from the matchmaking pool and have reach style automatic loadouts instead.
It is a ranked game mode and needs to take in consideration that H4’s vanilla mode is too random for competition. Squad slayer features the least game breaking armor abilities and reduced grenades to foster a mode in which the team with superior gun play and map control wins. I was surprised that it includes modes like extraction and dominion which I’ve really warmed up too as those were H4 original game modes that had some competitive potential. Overall it’s pretty fun and reminds me that even H4 with the right settings can be just as fun as it’s siblings

Personally I never liked infinity slayer, it’s probably my least favorite game mode in all of the MCC. It’s not fun when the guy with camo grabs the random sniper spawn, gets a kill streak and spawns another sniper as ordnance. The room for counter play and prediction is heavily suppressed in favor of copy and pasted elements from other games.

Infinity slayer is available in 4v4/8v8 social and that’s where it should remain. If I had my way I would cut it altogether from the matchmaking pool and have reach style automatic loadouts instead.
^ see this. There are valid arguments about what makes it a more competitive experience and all that, but again when you do something like this to all the games in the collection, they all start to feel too similar. hence the "blandification".
When you take away the ordinance system, a lot of guns from the halo 4 sand box vanish. Infinity slayer is available but it's also somewhat limited. Most of the time the "pro" slayer is used where everyone has the same loadout and no ordinance. Infinity slayer seems quite rare, although that may just be a matter of personal luck, time of play, or just biased perception.
I personally enjoy some of the more "random" or oddball elements of the different halo games. I honestly wish that they allowed more halo 3 equipment into matchmaking. The flare, and motion tracker scrambler, were both in the multiplayer on halo 3's release, but because people used them to do a glitched double jump they were removed and never put back. I would like to see some games with them available again. Also would be nice to see the deployable cover and auto sentry and stuff. I know it's not all balanced or competitive, but sometimes quirky odd things are fun every now and then. Adds some variety to the experience.
I like the bloom system that halo reach had before the TU. Made reach kind of unique.

TLDR I think that variety and unique different gameplay differences between games is a good thing and overly focusing on making the halo games into competitive experiences diminishes the fun variety of game play we could experience otherwise.

^ see this. There are valid arguments about what makes it a more competitive experience and all that, but again when you do something like this to all the games in the collection, they all start to feel too similar. hence the "blandification".
When you take away the ordinance system, a lot of guns from the halo 4 sand box vanish. Infinity slayer is available but it's also somewhat limited. Most of the time the "pro" slayer is used where everyone has the same loadout and no ordinance. Infinity slayer seems quite rare, although that may just be a matter of personal luck, time of play, or just biased perception.
I personally enjoy some of the more "random" or oddball elements of the different halo games. I honestly wish that they allowed more halo 3 equipment into matchmaking. The flare, and motion tracker scrambler, were both in the multiplayer on halo 3's release, but because people used them to do a glitched double jump they were removed and never put back. I would like to see some games with them available again. Also would be nice to see the deployable cover and auto sentry and stuff. I know it's not all balanced or competitive, but sometimes quirky odd things are fun every now and then. Adds some variety to the experience.
I like the bloom system that halo reach had before the TU. Made reach kind of unique.

TLDR I think that variety and unique different gameplay differences between games is a good thing and overly focusing on making the halo games into competitive experiences diminishes the fun variety of game play we could experience otherwise.
Then don't play ranked.....the whole point of a ranked playlist is for skill to dictate who wins, not the ordinance system
That defeats the whole point of an arena shooter, you are supposed to have equal starts.
you should be thankful 343 even allowed the 3 different loadouts into the playlist anyways, so asking for more can only be met with the response of "go play H4 social"
That defeats the whole point of an arena shooter, you are supposed to have equal starts.
you should be thankful 343 even allowed the 3 different loadouts into the playlist anyways, so asking for more can only be met with the response of "go play H4 social"
I guess I thought they would have a game mode within the playlist that would offer your own custom load outs. Just wanted to hear some community thoughts :)
Well its better that way. Why would you want a broken -Yoink- system where someone can break the game and be op. Less is more.

Simply put you’re just in the minority of people who like the changes in those games. Nothing wrong with that but there’s good reason the halo 2/3 formula is the most popular iteration of all the halos.

my perspective, which I apply to most genres of games and franchises is that people choose to play a game/franchise because they expect a specific experience from it. The halo 2/3 formula is the experience that a majority of people played halo for.

I believe the same logic applies to most franchises as when the boat gets rocked too hard there’s often an exodus /revolt from that franchise’s community.
SENCHIEF10 wrote:

Simply put you’re just in the minority of people who like the changes in those games. Nothing wrong with that but there’s good reason the halo 2/3 formula is the most popular iteration of all the halos.

my perspective, which I apply to most genres of games and franchises is that people choose to play a game/franchise because they expect a specific experience from it. The halo 2/3 formula is the experience that a majority of people played halo for.

I believe the same logic applies to most franchises as when the boat gets rocked too hard there’s often an exodus /revolt from that franchise’s community.
Yeah the 'New Coke" type of effect I get it. Just kinda thought that the collection should be a celebration of what the individual games were, but it's more of a celebration of the halo formula in general. I'm still really glad all the games are there and it's been a real intense labor to get them all in and mostly of working. It will be interesting to see how infinite plays. Wonder if the grapple hook thing will be taken well by everyone.