1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I can't even get in a single ranked match but, would be cool to have 4v4 CE.
I would also like to see this.
Agreed. 4 v 4 CTF Sidewinder tournaments were big in the Halo scene as well.
4v4 might be a bit too crazy, but 3v3 would be fine imo. The problem with Halo CE 4v4 is that it just becomes a grenade spam fest where you can almost guarantee 5-10 spawn kills if you throw grenades in one particular spot of the map the entire game.

Also, many of the maps just aren't made for modern day 4v4, unlike maps in Halo 2 and Halo 3 which still play very well with 8 players (except for Heretic H3)

tl;dr: 4v4 would be too crazy, so just slice it down to 3v3 and it would play much better.
Not really. I'm still pushing for an 8v8 playlist where the games are on the smaller maps. That's all we used to do at LAN parties back in the day and it was a blast. Not sure why people are so against it. It's supposed to be chaotic, which makes the games crazy entertaining. If nothing else, I wish 343 would implement a temporary playlist just for giggles. I'd be in that all day and night.

Back on topic, I would totally be on-board for a ranked HCE 4v4 playlist. At least if I get pitted against full teams every game, there is a reason for it. I get so annoyed playing social slayer, solo, and watching the same full teams of 4 players mop up on me and other randoms. Not even sure how that remains fun night after night after night. Literally every game is zero challenge. Regardless, 4v4 slayer for HCE seems like it would do well and that was the what the small to mid-sized maps were designed for. I can't stand the 2v2 gametype. Too slow, maps too big, etc, and a 3v3 playlist wouldn't be any better imo.
Darlin wrote:
I can't even get in a single ranked match but, would be cool to have 4v4 CE.
I don't think the 2v2 playlist is really that popular. The people in it are all long-time halo players, super serious, and to be honest, most casual players aren't interested in wandering around maps looking for 2 other players only to get stomped on by veterans.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Another reason a 4v4 or 8v8 playlist wouldnt work is because the population is already low enough as it is for 2v2.
Wrong, 2v2 and 4v4 offer completely different experiences, which is the whole point of this thread.

You can still play the 4v4 format competitively. In fact, I participated in the first MLG Halo tournament in SF and it was teams of 4.

The split community comes from the fact that 2v2 became the de-facto standard after the player base peaked via XBConnect era circa 02-06. The players that remained became more and more of an exclusive club. Now that club is in 343’s ear and is the controlling interest of Halo CE on MCC. This is alienating the largest segment of ready and willing CE players
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
4v4 might be a bit too crazy, but 3v3 would be fine imo. The problem with Halo CE 4v4 is that it just becomes a grenade spam fest where you can almost guarantee 5-10 spawn kills if you throw grenades in one particular spot of the map the entire game.

Also, many of the maps just aren't made for modern day 4v4, unlike maps in Halo 2 and Halo 3 which still play very well with 8 players (except for Heretic H3)

tl;dr: 4v4 would be too crazy, so just slice it down to 3v3 and it would play much better.
Not really. I'm still pushing for an 8v8 playlist where the games are on the smaller maps. That's all we used to do at LAN parties back in the day and it was a blast. Not sure why people are so against it. It's supposed to be chaotic, which makes the games crazy entertaining. If nothing else, I wish 343 would implement a temporary playlist just for giggles. I'd be in that all day and night.
Hey man, Hard Way and I are pushing for this exact thing. We've outlined 11 gametypes as a starting point, including test matches. This 8v8 list would easily be the funnest thing on MCC.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/introducing-a-new-8v8-playlist-mayhem-8v8-halo-ce/c521773e-7c43-4a87-a1c7-98743901ee45/posts?page=1
TROPSTOP wrote:
Another reason a 4v4 or 8v8 playlist wouldnt work is because the population is already low enough as it is for 2v2.
Wrong, 2v2 and 4v4 offer completely different experiences, which is the whole point of this thread.

You can still play the 4v4 format competitively. In fact, I participated in the first MLG Halo tournament in SF and it was teams of 4.

The split community comes from the fact that 2v2 became the de-facto standard after the player base peaked via XBConnect era circa 02-06. The players that remained became more and more of an exclusive club. Now that club is in 343’s ear and is the controlling interest of Halo CE on MCC. This is alienating the largest segment of ready and willing CE players
XBConnect has a non existent player base. Everyone knows that the main way Halo CE multiplayer was played was with system link parties and pizza. Nobody cared about competition back then because it was all for fun and Halo was just in it's early days. In recent years, it's been shown that 4v4 in Halo CE is just not a good experience and is way to chaotic and easily cheezed to be taken seriously, hence why 2v2 is the ideal way to play Halo CE competitively.
While 2v2 is the iconic HCE competitive gametype, you are wrong about 4v4 not being taken seriously. 4v4 fell out of favor because it's far easier to get a 2v2 LAN than a 4v4 LAN. This is not the case online.

More importantly, anyone who knows H1 legitimately, knows how many horrible bugs exist in the MCC HCE multiplayer. These bugs absolutely RUIN 2v2, but are a little more tolerable in 4v4. In 2v2 if you lose a camo because of some garbage glitch, you are very likely to lose the game. In 4v4, it usually won't ruin your whole match. More chaotic games make the bugs a little more tolerable.

Finally... MCC CE is broken and has remained broken. Can we please, as a community, prioritize our requests for them to fix the numerous bugs in the game? MCC CE is effectively unplayable when compared against the OG version. You guys all chime in when it's something like a 4v4 playlist discussion, but many of you are nowhere to be found when we are talking about fixing the portals, or how easy the sniper is to use, how the plasma rifle, assault rifle, and shotgun are borderline worthless, etc. Join the fight in demanding that 343 deliver the CE experience promised before launch, which was nearly 5 years ago now.

Back on topic, I would totally be on-board for a ranked HCE 4v4 playlist. At least if I get pitted against full teams every game, there is a reason for it. I get so annoyed playing social slayer, solo, and watching the same full teams of 4 players mop up on me and other randoms. Not even sure how that remains fun night after night after night. Literally every game is zero challenge. Regardless, 4v4 slayer for HCE seems like it would do well and that was the what the small to mid-sized maps were designed for. I can't stand the 2v2 gametype. Too slow, maps too big, etc, and a 3v3 playlist wouldn't be any better imo.
it wouldn't work. Do you see how many players already go AFK in ranked team doubles? Yeah now imagine that in 4v4 and 8v8 and you got a pretty bad playlist.

Hate to say it, but if you say that 2v2 Halo CE is too slow, you must be playing against novice players. To this day, Halo CE doubles is the most competitive Halo gametype out there, and if your experience is slow, then it's all about who you're playing against.

2v2 matches on Prisoner, Chill Out, Hang 'em High, and Derelict are very fast paced and some matches go by in only a few minutes. If you wanna challenge in CE, just rank up and you'll eventually meet some amazing players who will show you no mercy.

But that's just it. I like 4v4 games, and would also love for a fast paced 8v8 playlist on the smaller maps. I have no problem with there being a 2v2 playlist, but it's really not my thing. If there was a ranked 4v4 playlist, i would actually try my hand in getting ranked up higher. As is, I stick to the social slayer playlist instead. I think the 8v8 playlist could work fine as a temporary or rotational playlist, but 4v4 ranked games should be a thing imo, regardless of 2v2 or 8v8 .
In recent years, it's been shown that 4v4 in Halo CE is just not a good experience and is way to chaotic and easily cheezed to be taken seriously, hence why 2v2 is the ideal way to play Halo CE competitively.
Translation: In recent years, 2v2 gameplay has elevated to a meta level dominated by spawn control. You must study external resources to learn an invisible system to master critical randoms and forced spawns. Since 2v2 players have built up so much knowledge and control of the spawn system, moving to a 4v4 gametype feels chaotic because of the loss of control and leverage of this system.

The 2v2 competitive scene evolved over time. After most people moved to newer Halo titles, it became easier for people to setup 2v2 LANs. It became what it is today as the result of dedicated players putting in endless hours pushing the limits of a game.

The same thing would happen with 4s. The game would continue to evolve and players will continue to find a competitive edge. 4s just never got the chance to evolve in the same way. With MCC, I’m still hoping that’s still possible. 2s is not somehow objectively superior to 4s, it’s just a different beast.

I’m aware of how broken the teleports are, along with the shotgun, and missing PR stun. 343Postums just acknowledged a master list that included these issues. Hopefully they can fix those issues, but clearly from this thread a playlist adjustment to add a ranked 4v4 CE objective heavy playlist can be a much quicker win for their team.
It was removed due to low player count, same reason why H2C team arena was axed and replaced with H2C hardcore
TROPSTOP wrote:
In recent years, it's been shown that 4v4 in Halo CE is just not a good experience and is way to chaotic and easily cheezed to be taken seriously, hence why 2v2 is the ideal way to play Halo CE competitively.
Translation: In recent years, 2v2 gameplay has elevated to a meta level dominated by spawn control. You must study external resources to learn an invisible system to master critical randoms and forced spawns. Since 2v2 players have built up so much knowledge and control of the spawn system, moving to a 4v4 gametype feels chaotic because of the loss of control and leverage of this system.

The 2v2 competitive scene evolved over time. After most people moved to newer Halo titles, it became easier for people to setup 2v2 LANs. It became what it is today as the result of dedicated players putting in endless hours pushing the limits of a game.

The same thing would happen with 4s. The game would continue to evolve and players will continue to find a competitive edge. 4s just never got the chance to evolve in the same way. With MCC, I’m still hoping that’s still possible. 2s is not somehow objectively superior to 4s, it’s just a different beast.

I’m aware of how broken the teleports are, along with the shotgun, and missing PR stun. 343Postums just acknowledged a master list that included these issues. Hopefully they can fix those issues, but clearly from this thread a playlist adjustment to add a ranked 4v4 CE objective heavy playlist can be a much quicker win for their team.
I'm not talking about you specifically, but I'm saying to everyone here please scream louder about those issues than something like playlists. Yes the playlists are VERY important, but not if they are barely/unplayable.

Postums posted that list created from a group of H1 players in the Halo 1 hub discord. He's been legitimately the only 343 person to offer any support on these issues, and it's because people are too quiet. If everyone who plays h1 will start calling the company out on how broken CE is, something is a lot more likely to get done.

Also, for those of you who do love CE, please register on www.halofinder.com. A website used to find CE LANs, we need to grow the player base. There's no reason that everyone in this thread shouldn't be on there.
I don't believe a 4v4 ranked CE playlist would perform as well as you think it would. All those offerings are currently available through the Match Composer in Social Games, and 343i confirmed that skill-based matchmaking is coming to the game later this month. I personally see no need for a "HCE Team Objective" playlist.
I come from the 02-06 era and 4v4 was the ideal minimum. I never played HPC, but I've heard members of that community push for a 5v5 playlist. I wouldn't be opposed to a 4+ variable team size playlist.

Ultimately, I hope 343 invests in the custom games browser and doing it right. The whole process can be data driven. As an effective search tool, all players across all Halo eras would be able to connect based on game types and settings. That game data can then be mined for insights for 343 to curate playlists and optimize dedicated servers. 343 has had to use social media as the main feedback collection mechanism, which has an inherent population bias. The custom game data, however, could become a direct source of truth on identifying game trends and measuring player support.
This thread is where you guys should have your priorities at (see postums reply):

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/halo-ce-pc-port-issues-masterlist/2b908f00-c2e5-4927-8649-9fa999de417e/posts?page=1
I guess there's no way to find out how poplar ranked CE 4v4 would be in MCC until we actually give it a shot and see eh?
Yeah especially if matchmaking updates are happening on a weekly cadence, I don't see harm in testing it out.

Plenty of support in this thread and I know many skilled players that don't appreciate 2v2 and get easily bored in 4v4 social.
I couldn't agree more. 2v2 is fun and all but I always find myself either racking up a bunch of deaths because my teammate doesn't have a clue what he's doing or that everyone just leaves the game for some reason. I also would like to play objective game modes in CE with more focus on teamwork playing prisoner and shooting up the place gets old.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3