Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo CE Anniversary - Classic HUD and Sounds

OP Agent Chr0me

Does anyone else want to see the return of the original sound effects and HUD for Halo: CEA other than me?

If they accomplished that we will be able to truly experience the complete look, sound and feel of the legacy of Halo: Combat Evolved
Does anyone else want to see the return of the original sound effects and HUD for Halo: CEA other than me?

If they accomplished that we will be able to truly experience the complete look, sound and feel of the legacy of Halo: Combat Evolved
It's been noted and being looked at.
I’d have loved it if we could have classic sounds when using classic graphics. Maybe a technical hurdle they couldn’t overcome? What’s the difference between the Anniversary and classic HUD though?
tuhin94 wrote:
I’d have loved it if we could have classic sounds when using classic graphics. Maybe a technical hurdle they couldn’t overcome? What’s the difference between the Anniversary and classic HUD though?
The older Halo: CE HUD looks slighly more “blocky”.

I actually wish that the Halo 2 Anniversary would update the HUD in new graphics to reflect H3 or H4. The newer games do a good job at making the HUD look like technology inside a helmet vs the bright colorful look of HUDs in older games. Halo 2 Anniversary looks amazing but the HUD appears old and out of place.
tuhin94 wrote:
The older Halo: CEA HUD looks slighly more “blocky”.

I actually wish that the Halo 2 Anniversary would update the HUD in new graphics to reflect H3 or H4. The newer games do a good job at making the HUD look like technology inside a helmet vs the bright colorful look of HUDs in older games. Halo 2 Anniversary looks amazing but the HUD appears old and out of place.
Ahh okay, I know what you’re talking about. Yeah, agreed, that would have made the HUD look pretty cool. Didn’t think about that until now.
They should make the hud customizable so if you favor one particular game, you can have that games hud.
I actually think the HUD is fine. The MCC Halo CE hud is basically a Halo PC hud right now, as far as I can tell. The original Xbox hud did not have the gametype / team color indicator in the top of the screen, but I think that's actually pretty important. I used to melee at the start of the game, so I could see my player's armor color, so I could tell what team I was on.

But I completely agree with the sounds. I really really hope they bring back the classic Halo CE sounds.
LarsBars wrote:
I actually think the HUD is fine. The MCC Halo CE hud is basically a Halo PC hud right now, as far as I can tell. The original Xbox hud did not have the gametype / team color indicator in the top of the screen, but I think that's actually pretty important. I used to melee at the start of the game, so I could see my player's armor color, so I could tell what team I was on.

But I completely agree with the sounds. I really really hope they bring back the classic Halo CE sounds.
You are correct the original Xbox release did not have that. Watching old Halo: Custom Edition videos before I got to play it myself, this was how I knew if I was watching something from Xbox or PC.

It's been noted and being looked at.
Well that's exciting news, have to admit I haven't the Original sound effects in like 7 years, will be Nostalgic to me hearing them again
Classic sounds are likely much easier to do than changing anything with the HUD. Bringing those back would be a nice low cost way of adding nostalgia.

I absolutely agree, the CEA campaign is quite good otherwise. The classic sound effects would nicely round things out.
Would be cool if they treat the sounds like Halo 2 where the old & new toggle with the visuals.

Also been wondering when or if CE & Halo 2 would be backwards compatible so we could LAN party the actual Xbox versions in OG 4x3. Not that I don't appreciate a good remaster, but having the originals on hand is always nice.

I'd love to see that, but they'd also have to update the HUD for higher-resolution displays.

Like some others here said before me, the HUD looks extremely blocky by today's standards. But then there's the PC version. Many elements of the game were updated with higher fidelity back then to meet PC's (at the time) higher graphical standards. Unfortunately Gearbox, being the hacks that they are, only updated the shield bar and icon while they left every other element of the HUD to be practically identical to the Xbox's version. Halo 2 Vista doesn't have this problem, as you can see by Halo 2: Anniversary still maintaining the old HUD and still looking nice (no, they did not update it to be higher-res either, it's the same old HUD from 2007). Unless they also update the HUD to be consistent throughout, I'm not so sure it's going to happen, but I would like it to.

About the audio, the only part of the audio that changes with the graphics right now is the sound mixing (yes, seriously). In some of the flood levels there's flood juice dripping from the ceiling, and I've noticed that the dripping plays no sound, but when I switched the graphics to classic you can hear the dripping clearly. This is unacceptable and must be fixed.
Would be cool if they treat the sounds like Halo 2 where the old & new toggle with the visuals.

Also been wondering when or if CE & Halo 2 would be backwards compatible so we could LAN party the actual Xbox versions in OG 4x3. Not that I don't appreciate a good remaster, but having the originals on hand is always nice.
Having them on hand would also make finding bugs much easier.
Would love to have old sounds.

That would be a really cool feature actually.

Og xbox textures should also be brought back.
There's this awful "pew-pew" sound effect when firing certain guns that was added to the Anniversary edition that has always driven me nuts. If I could avoid it by reverting to the Classic sound effects I'd be pleased.