Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Halo ce multiplayer is just a pistol simulator

OP JK93 FTP

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
If you’re not using the pistol you’re at a disadvantage. No reason to use the other guns and you get bored really fast.

Change my mind?
JK93 FTP wrote:
If you’re not using the pistol you’re at a disadvantage. No reason to use the other guns and you get bored really fast.

Change my mind?
I mean, while it is a good starting weapon and can hold its own in most firefights, I have killed with and been killed by Shotguns, Rocket Launchers, and Sniper Rifles.
JK93 FTP wrote:

Change my mind?
I mean, while it is a good starting weapon and can hold its own in most firefights, I have killed with and been killed by Shotguns, Rocket Launchers, and Sniper Rifles.
I understand what you mean but you’re naming power weapons
JK93 FTP wrote:
JK93 FTP wrote:

Change my mind?
Are they not "other guns"? I have also been sprayed to death with the AR as well.
JK93 FTP wrote:
JK93 FTP wrote:

Change my mind?
Are they not "other guns"? I have also been sprayed to death with the AR as well.
you don’t spawn with power weapons also if you’ve got decent aim you win 9/10 with the pistol with someone spraying at you with the AR
JK93 FTP wrote:
JK93 FTP wrote:
JK93 FTP wrote:

Change my mind?
you don’t spawn with power weapons also if you’ve got decent aim you win 9/10 with the pistol with someone spraying at you with the AR
What other weapons do you spawn with then in regular matchmaking? I was under the impression there was only two: the Magnum and the AR. That's all I have ever spawned with. Maybe I have had the odd Plasma Pistol start as well, but that would be it. Never the Needler or the Plasma Rifle.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I'm assuming you're excluding power weapons from this because those are definitely worth picking up. Other than that, yeah. CE = pistol. Personally I think it's fine because there aren't any other precision weapons. I wouldn't like it if the AR was super good for example.
It's the main utility weapon for that game. You can win an exchange with the AR in really close quarters though.
Here's the thing, The Magnum in CE is a weapon that can be effective in almost every situation, While every other weapon requires a specific situation to be in. The magnum fits most situations while other weapons don't. For instance, the rocket launcher is good when used at close - Medium Range, While the magnum is good at Close - Far Range.
You could still say that the Sniper could out class the magnum, however it has no aim assist for no scope, and it only has 4 shots in a clip rather than 12 shots, it does greatly out range the magnum, but in up close situations, magnum is superior unless you are a no scoping master or something like that. Overall, magnum is the best weapon In my opinion.
Yeah, sucks to suck m8
Not complaining about sucking just complaining that if you don’t use the pistol you’re at a disadvantage and it gets boring fast using the pistol
JK93 FTP wrote:
Yeah, sucks to suck m8
Not complaining about sucking just complaining that if you don’t use the pistol you’re at a disadvantage and it gets boring fast using the pistol
I mean every Halo game foward you have a gun you don’t use you’re at a disadvantage, don’t know why it just implies CE
JK93 FTP wrote:
Yeah, sucks to suck m8
I mean every Halo game foward you have a gun you don’t use you’re at a disadvantage, don’t know why it just implies CE
Yes, this is true. Sure the Magnum might be the best out of all of these, but so what? It is pretty much the same in Halo 2, where the BR is the weapon that is almost just as useful in the same situations as the magnum, if not, even more useful. Not to mention that some weapons get Downgraded in Halo 2.
While people are saying "no you can use other guns" they are right, seriously the main reason why they made the pistol in every other halo game after CE so weak is because of how insane it was in CE. tl:dr, pistol is stupid powerful because its the only precision weapon that isnt a sniper and its stupid broken in ce and reach
Please keep in mind that Halo 1 on the MCC isn't an accurate representation of the legacy version of Halo 1/original Xbox version of Halo 1 because it's based off of the botched Gearbox PC port of Halo 1/Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. Halo 1 on the MCC is plagued with a ton of bugs and issues so it's weapon sandbox isn't an accurate representation of the legacy version of Halo 1/original Xbox version of Halo 1.

On the legacy version of Halo 1/original Xbox version of Halo 1 every weapon in the sandbox except for the needler has a purpose. On the MCC version of Halo 1 the pistol, sniper, rockets, AR, shotgun, plasma rifle, and plasma pistol aren't as consistent and aren't as reliable as their legacy/original Xbox counterparts. Here's a clip that demonstrates how useful the plasma rilfe on the legacy version of Halo 1/original Xbox version of Halo 1 can be.

Here are some links to informative sources that document a lot of the various bugs and issues that are plaguing the MCC version of Halo 1.
I'm going to post an excerpt of a quote about Halo CE's weapon sandbox from Teapot's teambeyond Halo CE megathread.

"To explain more, Halo CE is an incredibly deep and balanced game. The sandbox is balanced in a way where everything matters except the needler, and the utility weapon is your pistol. Your pistol is the ultimate hold out weapon, and can be used properly against really any weapon or in any scenario in the game. While on paper it sounds over-powered, the ability to 3 shot someone perfectly is a rather rare occasion, ESPECIALLY on Halo PC on the MCC. While this weapon is incredibly advantageous in a number of scenarios, the other weapons all have other niche roles in which they excel beyond the pistol.

Halo CE Basics:

I'll be explaining things thoroughly within the thread, but this part will be brief, and for more glitches/tips.

The concept of competitive play is rather simple and can be summarized as "Obtain the power ups/power weapons, while denying your opponent the same." I will be expanding on this more beyond the "basics" tab, because it's not as simple as pushing as a team to get an item like Overshield on the Pit in H3. I use that as an example because your team will usually push together to set up for a weapon, while in Halo CE, one of the best strategies to stay separate. You'll want to spread out in order to watch different areas, and obtain different weapons/power-ups that usually spawn on set intervals throughout the game. OS and Camo usually spawn every minute, with rockets every two minutes. This means that every other minute, all 3 items are up which causes the issue in a 2v2 of which "two" your team should go for (in theory, meaning there are ways to obtain items without physically walking to them)

Weapons - Overall, every weapon operates on the same basic principle that you have to lead your shots based on the direction your opponent is strafing, combined with the level of distance he is away from you ALONG with the latency you encounter. You know most weapons to operate in a manner called "Hit-Scan" which is how other rifles work in other Halos. We are dealing with "Projectile Based" weapons. The easiest way to visualize a projectile is to picture the rocket launcher. That literally launches a projectile, and if you intended to cross-map rocket a player or vehicle, you have to determine the time it would take to land where you want it to go, then lead the shot even further based on where you anticipate the player to be in the amount of time it would take for that rocket to reach him. That concept applies for ALL weapons in this game, and you'll have to lead depending on the connection, distance, and type of weapon you use, meaning you have to lead more with a pistol than a sniper because the bullet travel time of the pistol takes longer to reach a target.

I suggest watching this video by @Hard Way. It is the perfect weapon guide for Halo CE to help explain the situations a bit better. If you'd rather be bored by what I wrote, which doesn't sound as nice as Hard Way's voice, scroll down.
Halo CE Basics Guide Part 1: The Weapons

• Pistol - Utility weapon and the weapon you need to learn to use in order to be an effective player. Holding the trigger creates a ridiculous spread that makes it ineffective. This means individual trigger pulls is best to reduce your spread, and make your bullets as accurate as possible. The weapon takes 2 body shots and 1 headshot to kill, which equals a perfect kill time of .6 seconds. It is not common for players to get TSK's (Three Shot Kills) repeatedly like it would be to get 4 shot kills in other games, so while the perfect kill time is quick, the average kill time is long. This weapon is INCREDIBLY dangerous in the hands of a skillful player. Again, each weapon requires you to lead your bullets.
  • Sniper - A highly important weapon that is considered a power-weapon. It's importance is somewhat negated by how powerful the Pistol is, however when you watch the top players in action you'll see them drop the pistol for the sniper. I'll explain in detail in a more advanced section. Unlike other Halos, the sniper usually drops every 30 seconds. 2 body shots or 1 headshot kills a player, and offers a slightly quicker kill time than the pistol. It excels at far ranges but like much in the sandbox, allows a skilled player to excel with the weapon beyond it's intended range.
  • Rockets - Because this is Halo PC on MCC, I'm going to go ahead and say that the Rockets are THE best thing in the game. By that, I mean most useful/powerful. On OG Xbox, I would classify the most powerful item as Active Camo, however they made it worse. So back to Rockets... Incredibly powerful direct damage and splash damage, long intervals between shots and a long reload time. Rockets spawn every 2 minutes on the competitive maps, and is important that you set up to either obtain them, or stop the enemy from obtaining them. Although Camo isn't as useful as before, you'll find yourself aiming for the combination of the Rockets and Camo.
  • Plasma Rifle - One of my favorite weapons in any game ever! This awesome weapon shoots out plasma projectiles that do lots of damage to shields. In fact, they do the same level of damage to shields that pistol shots would do, but add a slow turn and stun effect to the player that is incredibly useful. It excels at a close/close to medium range, and is a great weapon to combat an enemy with using the element of surprise. It isn't as good of a response tool as it is to create a play. Headshots double the damage done to health as well. Some scenarios would be coming up behind a full OS guy, which requires 8 plasma shots to drain a FULL OS. The stun prevents him from moving, the slow-turn makes it hard to fire at you. While not the perfect play, I use it to suicide rocket guy often, meaning that get close to him while he's stunned that way if he tries to rocket me, he'll rocket himself too.
  • Shotgun - Incredibly useful on host, pretty annoying off host. Still, it's an extremely useful weapon. It's got some crazy spread, and some long range. If close enough and the entire spread hits, you should be able to Insta-kill a player with half and OS left. The range on it is pretty big but due to the spread, rather ineffective. Some players have experienced some incredibly long shot-gun clean ups in the past. You'll find shotguns will be pretty common when players have Camo and a sniper/rockets.
  • Plasma Pistol - Less powerful than your Halo 2 counterpart, and offers less auto-aim based tracking. The concept is the same where you have individual trigger pulls that does decent damage to shields, and less to health. These pistol shots also stun/slow if I'm not mistaken like the Plasma Rifle, but I'm not sure if it's at the same rate. Charging the pistol creates powerful shot that takes out shields completely. While there is some tracking on it, it's hardly an effective tool if you plan to use it like Halo 2's Noob Combo (Charge shot, switch to BR and headshot)
  • Needler - Completely useless in Multiplayer. I guess this is decent for Hunters on Campaign... don't bother picking it up unless you feel like humiliating someone, in which case this weapon fills that niche role perfectly."
I'm going to post another excerpt of a quote about Halo CE's weapon sandbox from Teapot's teambeyond Halo CE megathread.

"Power Ups - Arguably the driving force behind a lot of decision making in the game. There are only two, and they are very important in terms of dominating your opponents. They play an important role in creating that snowball type domination effect in which the players with the advantage can easily build up more of an advantage. Power-up control is one of the highest priorities in the game, and something new players struggle with against experienced. You'll learn better and new ways to obtain them, however I always stress the importance of denying your opponents these luxuries. Even if you can't obtain something safely, make sure they can't either. This means spamming grenades to prevent players from picking up an OS, or knocking down Camo from a higher up level. You want them, but if you can't get them do anything you can to make sure nobody can get them. These generally respawn at the same rate for each map, with some exceptions. I'll post a picture of the timers to make things easier, because although both camo and OS tend to spawn every minute, certain maps like Chill Out and HeH are different.

1. Overshield - Usually called "OS" for short, this power-up grants you 2 additional shields on top of your own, giving you the ability to withstand 3x as much damage. This item is usually up every 60 seconds on most maps, except for the top power-up on Hang Em High. It's a very powerful item and allows you to play with a little more versatility in your decisions. The extra shields allow you to make plays you might not consider doing, such as peaking down low on Prisoner. I use this as an example because if you just picked up OS on Prisoner, that means Camo spawned at that same second. If your team doesn't have it, then their team does. If you don't have OS it wouldn't be smart to give up a top position of the map to peak and look for camo guy. Depending on the interval of the weapon times, camo guy also can have rockets. There are plenty of situational circumstances that come into play, and thats why Halo CE is such a great game.

2. Active Camouflage - Or "camo" for short. In fact, never call it Active Camouflage unless you are writing a guide. This item is WAS an INCREDIBLY POWERFUL item. It is still a very powerful item but the version of camo on MCC is from the PC port, where they had changed Camo in some rather unusual ways. Unfortunately, that's the camo we're stuck with, and it looks like your armor is made out of mirrors. This makes you rather visible against certain backdrops. For those who haven't experienced camo on the original disc and xbox, it was THE BEST. As powerful as rockets were, camo was a better tool to work with, but I find now that rockets will have a better impact in matches. Regardless of this, the best combo depending on the situation would still be to have camo, and hold rockets and a weapon with no scope. (plasma/assault rifle, shotty) The reason for this is that Active Camo's effect varies depending on the gun you hold, or the gun you switch to. It takes less time to fade in and out of camo with weapons that have no scope on them, and significantly longer with weapons that do. Even still, Rockets take longer to go full camo than the pistol. It's with these nuances in mind that players willingly drop the best overeall weapon in the game (pistol) for a Rocket/Camo/Rifle combo. The usefulness of the Camo combined with the power of the rockets are deadly, but the fact that you can switch to an automatic weapon and go back to camo instantly after firing a rocket provides you with a huge advantage, and more room to excel. Part of this reason is that Camo in this game actually REDUCES the level of auto-aim your opponent has, and although I haven't checked personally, I've read that it also effects bullet magnetism as well. So going into full camo will give you an extra advantage, thus why players drop their pistol for a sniper/rocket (power weapon) and keep the rifle/shotty (for quick camo)"
Arguably one of the most well designed weapon sandboxes like ever but okay.

The magnum functions as a magnificent utility weapon. If you don't like how the game is designed I'm sure there are other games on the market with a redundant yet "diverse" sandbox.
GRNT WRK wrote:

The magnum functions as a magnificent utility weapon. If you don't like how the game is designed I'm sure there are other games on the market with a redundant yet "diverse" sandbox.
Yeah, I Rather not CE be changed. It's how it has been and how it always should be.
GRNT WRK wrote:

spoken like a true MC
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3