Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Halo: CE Must-Know Tips. Read before searching!

OP Hard VVay

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Hey everybody! I’ve been noticing a lot of new players in the Halo: CE Arena playlist recently. I know CE can be a very unforgiving game, and can be especially brutal to newcomers. I fear that the knowledge barriers in this game might be turning some people away that might otherwise enjoy themselves if they were armed with more information. As a longtime player and someone that wants to see people enjoy the game as much as I do, I feel like it’s my responsibility to help new players while we have you, so that hopefully you have fun and stick around. With that said, theres a few things you need to know before you even search the playlist in order to hold your own in this game. Let’s get to it.

TIMING

Before I even get into the gameplay tips, theres one small piece of prep work you really, reeaally should do before you search CE. You should be playing with a timer. All the items spawn at predictable, static times in this game. They’re not influenced by player interaction whatsoever. Since this game doesn’t have an in-game timer, people play with an external timer, so we can know when items are spawning. It might sound like cheating to the untrained eye, but the game is actually significantly more fun when everyone knows when things are spawning. In the 2v2 playlist, everyone times. It’s practically a requirement. In 4v4, not as many time, but a lot do. You’re putting yourself at a massive disadvantage by playing without one, and the gameplay is just better when more people in the game are aware of the time. I use a free app called “Halo 1 Timer” that counts down audibly each cycle so that I don’t have to look at the screen. For more information about the item spawns, I made a handy video you can check out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvoY428wk5Y&list=PLFiMqowkY59tLyAy8zgF8xaxU2iz_PjDy&index=3

USE THE PISTOL!!

The fastest way to tell someone doesn’t know what they’re doing in CE is to catch them running around the map with their Assault Rifle still out (or with their flashlight on. lol). When you spawn, your pistol is in your secondary slot, but make no mistake, that’s your primary weapon. You should switch to it immediately every time you spawn. Learning to shoot with the pistol is non-negotiable if you want to enjoy this game.

The actual mechanics of the Pistol are pretty unique. Like Halo 3, its bullets are projectile, so you will have to lead your target, even at closer ranges than you might expect. The other unique thing about the CE pistol is that you actually get stronger bullet magnetism when you aim with the edges of the crosshair, NOT the center. So if the target is moving forward, backward, or not at all, aim with the bottom of the reticle and you’ll ensure that the bullets hit only the head. If the target is moving laterally, put the crosshair in front of the target and aim with the back side of the crosshair. Your bullets will magnetize/register much better than if you tried to center the reticle on the target. Most people don’t know this, as it’s very counterintuitive. I believe this lack of knowledge about the weapon is the source of most of the frustration people have with it.

The Pistol is the Jack of all Trades weapon. It’s good in any situation, but it’s not the best in any situation. For more information about the weapons in CE and the way they behave, I made another video for you here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlFkkAd2ZL8&list=PLFiMqowkY59tLyAy8zgF8xaxU2iz_PjDy&index=1

SPAWNING

Halo CE uses a unique spawn system that puts a great deal of control/responsibility in the hands of the player. The system is fully explained here: https://halospawns.com/ I strongly recommend spending some time on that site, learning about the spawn system, as well as seeing the actual spawn points and random zones. At the very least, read the front page. In short, your dead teammate will spawn at the closest available spawn point to you. If there are no spawn points within range, then you are standing in a “random” zone, and the game removes you from consideration for spawns. In a 2v2, this means your partner will get a random spawn.

This spawn system does not care whether or not you’re in danger when your teammate spawns. It is the player’s responsibility, not the game’s responsibility, to give good spawns. This means that if your teammates die and the enemy knows where you are, they might just leave you alive so that they can farm your teammates’ spawns. Being selfish/cowardly in this scenario is the fastest way to lose the game (and friends, lol). It’s up to you whether your control over your team’s spawns works to your benefit or your detriment. For an example of what I’m talking about, I made a video showing how to give random spawns on Hang Em High: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQBoKH3cmWw&index=5&list=PLFiMqowkY59tLyAy8zgF8xaxU2iz_PjDy

THE 4V4 TEAM SLAYER META

The spawn system is great in 2v2 because you have absolute control over spawns, but things change in 4v4. Dead teammates still spawn on a living teammate, but the living teammate is chosen at random. Standing in a random zone merely eliminates you as a possible spawn influence. To put it simply, you’re more likely to spawn next to teammates in 4v4 because it’s harder to prevent. The goal then becomes surrounding and containing the enemy team, and keeping the spawn trap going for as long as possible. It means leaving the last guy alive so that he can spawn his teammates in the trap. It means SPREAD OUT! It means know when you’re the last guy alive so you can give intelligent spawns. Spend some time on halospawns.com and learn where the random zones are.

Spawn killing is just a part of the game. It’s the goal of the game, actually. You need to have that mindset going in, accept your responsibility in giving safe spawns, and utilize your control over the situation.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST
QUICK TIPS

Quick Camo: You can cloak faster with camo by using/switching to your Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Plasma Rifle or Plasma Pistol. So, when you have camo and you go to pick up Rockets or Sniper, consider swapping out your Pistol and keeping your Assault Rifle. You can fire a rocket or a snipe shot, switch weapons, and immediately recloak. This will allow you to get much more mileage out of both your camo and your power weapon. Just remember how much time you have left on your camo so you can pick up a pistol again before it runs out. Camo lasts for 45 seconds.

Backpack Reload: You can use one weapon while the other weapon reloads by hitting Reload, Reload, Switch Weapons. This is especially useful with rockets and sniper, but it’s great for anytime you think you can get some use out of your other weapon during the reload. Frankly, you should just condition yourself to do this whenever you switch weapons. It couldn’t hurt. (Doesn’t work with Shotgun)

Double Melee: You can punch twice in rapid succession by hitting Melee, Grenade, Melee. A grenade will come out though, so make sure you account for that. If you are moving forward when both melee’s connect, it will kill an enemy at full health. For more info on the melee system (and the grenades), I made a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzItnzPb-mk&index=2&list=PLFiMqowkY59tLyAy8zgF8xaxU2iz_PjDy

Crouch Landing: You can mitigate a lot of fall damage with a well timed crouch. Time your crouch right as your spartan’s feet touch the ground, but before your full weight comes down on them, if that makes sense. This trick will save your life.

Hopefully these tips better prepare you for what to expect, and what is expected of you, going into CE. I want people to have fun with this game. It pains me to see people walk away from CE confused and frustrated. This game is very different from the other Halo’s, but once you know what you’re doing, I personally believe it is more fun. You have an incredible degree of individual power in this game. I hope this helps you wield it!
I know the pistol is projectile in OG Halo CE, but isn’t it hitscan in MCC? Did this change recently?
This is an excellent write up by Hardway. I strongly recommend reading over this post for anyone who might be interested in playing H1 or if you just want to learn more about the game.

Here is some more easily digestible content to help newer players get better at CE:

Halo 1 - 10 Tips for Beginners (Halo Classic)

Halo CE MCC Nades, Jumps and Knowledge Part 1

Halo 1 Guide & Tips: Master Chief Collection
Ser Joey wrote:
I know the pistol is projectile in OG Halo CE, but isn’t it hitscan in MCC? Did this change recently?
It was never truly hitscan in MCC, it just had an awful, inconsistent shooting model. The recent update to CE was a massive improvement, and the pistol is much more consistent now. My shots register much better when I shoot the way I described in the OP.
Wow, this is such an awesome post! I have always loved Halo CE, and I didn't know about half of this stuff. Thanks for sharing!!
Totally cheating no wonder why people are running around with ARs and Flshligghts because you nerds have a timer that tells you when stuff spawns. It’s an unfair advantage so that’s why it’s not in the game. You guys aren’t good at halo you just are nerdy enough to look up the spawns and timers when you could just play regularly and not cheat.
veganpork wrote:
Totally cheating no wonder why people are running around with ARs and Flshligghts because you nerds have a timer that tells you when stuff spawns. It’s an unfair advantage so that’s why it’s not in the game. You guys aren’t good at halo you just are nerdy enough to look up the spawns and timers when you could just play regularly and not cheat.
How exactly is it cheating when I've played the game since 2001 and know all the spawns by playing it for almost 17 years? A timer isn't cheating look at all the competitive tournaments going back to 2002. Knowing when a power weapon spawns isn't cheating when using a timer.
veganpork wrote:
Is it cheating in Hockey if a coach/assistant coach keeps track of an opposing goalies rebound areas? That isn't something that is 'part of the game' or listed on the score clock. If it's noticed that the goalie often gives out big rebounds to their 'blocker' side when shots are in the air, the coach will tell their players to get to that area when teammates make their shots.

Same thing here. If you notice something that is a part of the game, such as static spawn times, you ABSOLUTELY should keep track.

I would challenge you to play in a custom game 1v1 against any of the people you are calling 'nerds' without any additional weapons.
Chances are most of them are better than you anyway.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
veganpork wrote:
Lol what?

This thread exists to help people and instead you're accusing people of cheating. Okay then. Don't take the advice or suggestions, that's on you. But don't claim using a timer is cheating - it's not.
Adding Basic Map Tips Here. If anyone wants more detailed versions message me.

Wizard: Control the top four corners where the camo and overshields spawn.

Longest : Avoid being in the hallways as this is a grenade heavy map, it's better to stay back at red and blue base by the stairs and when the overshield and camo spawns on each side go up the stairs and get them. Carry a shotgun as your secondary ( it works a lot betterafter the recent patch)

Derelict: Get up top immediately if you don't spawn up there and get control of sniper rifle and rockets. If a team player has a chance get the overshield in the middle up top.

Prisoner: Stay up top at all times unless your going for camo and rockets. This map is key for I have the high ground moment. If you spawn below push up the stairs by blue 1.

Battle Creek: Stay on top of blue and red base, the only time you should leave this area is when rockets and camo spawn, have one person get each sniper on the cliffside of each base and watch the portals behind each base.

Hang Em High: If you spawn at blue base stay up top there, if not push it hard. Watch for camo and rockets at blue tombs and grab them when available.

Rat Race: Control OS and Camo power ups and stay in Dance Floor when not grabbing them as the high ground is to your advanage.

Damnation: Green Room is the key to this map the only time you should leave here is for Rockets, Camo and Sniper ignore OS unless you have camo and head back to green room immediately.

Chill Out: Control Rocket Room and go for OS and Camo, this is a chaotic small map, only use the sniper if your good at it. If you can get Rockets, with Camo and OS you are invincible.

Boarding Action: Stay on level 4 or 5 on either side if not push up as high as you can. The higher you are the more of an advantage you have.

Blood Gulch: Controlling the middle of the map is key, as well as the enemy's portal, once middle control is established send two hos to attack the enemy base have one go through bat cave and pick up OS. Drive through the back of the base or front grab the flag and drive out.

Sidewinder: Control Cliff side with multiple snipers and rockets and push in at the same time, in the meantime someone should be going through tunnels at the same time in a warthog and assualting the base at once.

Gephy: Either go through your portal in your base topside and get sniper and push along top while watching for enemy snipers in front or across from you. Have someone following you get rockets, in the meantime you can also take a warthog down on the underground level and hit the base that way as well. Hit the enemy base all at once.

Ice Fields: Whoever controls the bridge has the advantage here, either port at the back of your base to the middle and port to sniper then or take a warthog and take the bridge and grab OS and rockets then head to the enemy base.

Danger Canyon: Almost the same as Ice Fields but there are no portals control the middle portion of the map for rockets and sniper while pushing at the same time with warthogs to attack enemy base.

Timberland: Get sniper on top of your base and go to the left hill of your base to get more ammo: Power ups are on the middle left and right side of the map and rockets are in the middle. Try and push from the elft and right at the same time.

Death Island: Two prong assault map you can either go through the portal up top to get sniper and control the top be sure to go through the portal with the banshee symbol to get sniper, you can also get a warthog and go around or the middle of the map to get to the enemy base be sure to get rockets on the way.

Infinity: Another two prong assault map. Immediately either get in a warthog and drive to the enemy base, or go on top of your base and get sniper and then go through the portal behind your base to control the middle until your warthogs are in position to hit the enemy base. Finally with banshees added you can fly to the enemy base and on the way you'll see plenty of cliff sides with sniper either attack with the banshee or if you want park it by a cliffside by the enemy base and use the sniper if you want.
veganpork wrote:
This guy goes out of his way to make a post to help people get better at CE and you call him nerdy cheater who isn’t good at Halo. That is actually really pathetic. You should be ashamed for making such a stupid post. If he was trying to cheat to get an unfair advantage why would he be TELLING YOU to get a timer for yourself? He even told you what timing app he uses. If he just wanted to spawn trap people who don’t understand the spawn system why would he POST A LINK to a website that explains it in detail?!? Trust me, no one who actually plays CE with a timer enjoys going 30 and 5 against someone who isn’t timing and running around with an AR. I wish everyone timed because the game is so much more fun that way. Life tip: when someone tries to give you advice to make you better don’t insult them. It just makes you look really, really bad.
veganpork wrote:
This has to be a troll post right? No way this guy is serious.
BxSouIjah wrote:
veganpork wrote:
This has to be a troll post right? No way this guy is serious.
It has to be. There's a few different Halo CE Timer apps that you can download and use. People have been using them forever.
Great write up, been playing CE since before a lot of current Halo fans were even born and these are excellent tips for beginner CE players.

CE has by far the most depth and widest skill gap of any Halo, but most people don't know how to play it correctly. Being able to pistol well is a tiny tip of the iceberg. If you're just starting out, I would say learning to time and learning how spawns work are the most important things. Timing might seem simple at first, but it's all about learning where to be at the right time and understanding the flow of the map. Most people new to timing just try to make a beeline for every powerup 5 seconds before they spawn, which is not going to work against experienced players. Try to learn the random spawns, especially on maps like Hang Em High where a good random at the right time can turn a whole match around. After that pay attention to spawns throughout the match. Eventually you'll be able to predict most of the time where people will spawn relative to their teamates.

I hope this thread convinces people to try out CE and fall in love with it.
veganpork wrote:
It’s not technically cheating but I still agree with you. How many people want to study and time everything just for a video game? This is fine for pros but not great for a casual players. Halo CE is boring because of the Magnum. BTB can be fun but smaller matches are boring. Everyone switches to Magnums the whole match. There is too much skill gap(or just bad matchmaking), leading to the most lopsided matches I have ever seen.

OP, I get what your doing and think that it is a good thing. I see a lot of people running around with ARs, quitting, and betraying. A lot of people need some basic advice but how many new players are going to be on Waypoint or care enough to time or study spawns? I don’t even have time to learn melee glitches(cheating) or study spawns. I just play to relax, this isn’t a professional game that I have 40hrs a week to play. Higher skill gap=/ more enjoyable game.
veganpork wrote:
-snip-
It’s not technically cheating but I still agree with you. How many people want to study and time everything just for a video game? This is fine for pros but not great for a casual players. Halo CE is boring because of the Magnum. BTB can be fun but smaller matches are boring. Everyone switches to Magnums the whole match. There is too much skill gap(or just bad matchmaking), leading to the most lopsided matches I have ever seen.

OP, I get what your doing and think that it is a good thing. I see a lot of people running around with ARs, quitting, and betraying. A lot of people need some basic advice but how many new players are going to be on Waypoint or care enough to time or study spawns? I don’t even have time to learn melee glitches(cheating) or study spawns. I just play to relax, this isn’t a professional game that I have 40hrs a week to play. Higher skill gap=/ more enjoyable game.
I kinda agree that CE has too large of a skill gap for the casual Halo player to just jump in and fully grasp what is happening with zero in game tutorials, videos, or mechanics to help newer players understand the details of the game. But it would be fallacy to say that you need 40 hours a week of playtime or a tremendous amount of studying time to become proficient at H1. Just like anything else in life, a little practice and effort is all it takes to notice results. Also saying that a higher skill gap does not equal an enjoyable game is extremely subjective. If that was the case than genres like fighting games, MOBA, RTS, etc wouldn't be as popular as they are with both a casual and competitive audience. Just because you personally don't enjoy a Halo game with a real skill curve does not mean many, many other people also don't.

And I would love to hear in your owns words how melee glitches in H1 are "cheating"?
BxSouIjah wrote:
veganpork wrote:
-snip-

I kinda agree that CE has too large of a skill gap for the casual Halo player to just jump in and fully grasp what is happening with zero in game tutorials, videos, or mechanics to help newer players understand the details of the game. But it would be fallacy to say that you need 40 hours a week of playtime or a tremendous amount of studying time to become proficient at H1. Just like anything else in life, a little practice and effort is all it takes to notice results. Also saying that a higher skill gap does not equal an enjoyable game is extremely subjective. If that was the case than genres like fighting games, MOBA, RTS, etc wouldn't be as popular as they are with both a casual and competitive audience. Just because you personally don't enjoy a Halo game with a real skill curve does not mean many, many other people also don't.

And I would love to hear in your owns words how melee glitches in H1 are "cheating"?
Melee glitches/bottom combos are cheating because the player is taking advantage of something not meant to be part of the game. It feels like cheating when an experienced play uses a glitch to kill a newer player. Imagine that a tech savvy player knows how to hack their console. That would be cheating and going outside the intended way the game is played. Admittedly, button combos are not as bad as console hacking(whatever that even is). I think that you do need a significant amount of practice, considering that I’ve been playing Halo consistently for years and still can’t reach higher ranks in the MCC. I suspect the level 50s are playing nothing but Halo in all their free time.
veganpork wrote:

I disagree with this post. You complain about the Magnum, yet every other Halo game is like 90% BR fights. Learning spawns comes naturally with playtime, you don’t have to use videos, although they do help learn them faster. Melee glitches aren’t cheating, they have become a part of the game, and have been since the OG Xbox version. 343 wouldn’t have purposely included them in the MCC if they considered it cheating. The CE population is so low that a lot of high skill players create low rank alt accounts just to find matches. So you’ll run into high skill players at every rank, which does deter new players. Nothing much you can do against that, unless the playlist sees a sudden influx of players. Additionally, with a game as old as CE, it makes sense that the average skill level is higher than that of more recent games, since only the most dedicated players still play it regularly. You argue that CE isn’t casual-friendly. This is true for any old multiplayer game. It’s simply hard to get into a game as a new player when the average opponent already has years of experience. A higher skill gap is simply more rewarding. BTB kind of evens out the playing field because there is so much going on at once, especially on smaller maps. But this isn’t very appealing to competitive players because most deaths will be due to being outnumbered rather than being outskilled.

If you see players running around with ARs, even after they die like a billion times to pistol...well, you can’t teach stupid. Looking up basic advice when jumping into a new game should be common sense these days, in the age of YouTube and livestreaming. If a player is too oblivious or stubborn to look up basic advice to steer them in the right direction when they’ve hit a ceiling, they don’t get to complain about how they’re not improving.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4