Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo: CE Must-Know Tips. Read before searching!

OP Hard VVay

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
Ser Joey wrote:
veganpork wrote:
Totally cheating no wonder why people are running around with ARs and Flshligghts because you nerds have a timer that tells you when stuff spawns. It’s an unfair advantage so that’s why it’s not in the game. You guys aren’t good at halo you just are nerdy enough to look up the spawns and timers when you could just play regularly and not cheat.
It’s not technically cheating but I still agree with you. How many people want to study and time everything just for a video game? This is fine for pros but not great for a casual players. Halo CE is boring because of the Magnum. BTB can be fun but smaller matches are boring. Everyone switches to Magnums the whole match. There is too much skill gap(or just bad matchmaking), leading to the most lopsided matches I have ever seen.

OP, I get what your doing and think that it is a good thing. I see a lot of people running around with ARs, quitting, and betraying. A lot of people need some basic advice but how many new players are going to be on Waypoint or care enough to time or study spawns? I don’t even have time to learn melee glitches(cheating) or study spawns. I just play to relax, this isn’t a professional game that I have 40hrs a week to play. Higher skill gap=/ more enjoyable game.
I disagree with this post. You complain about the Magnum, yet every other Halo game is like 90% BR fights. Learning spawns comes naturally with playtime, you don’t have to use videos, although they do help learn them faster. Melee glitches aren’t cheating, they have become a part of the game, and have been since the OG Xbox version. 343 wouldn’t have purposely included them in the MCC if they considered it cheating. The CE population is so low that a lot of high skill players create low rank alt accounts just to find matches. So you’ll run into high skill players at every rank, which does deter new players. Nothing much you can do against that, unless the playlist sees a sudden influx of players. Additionally, with a game as old as CE, it makes sense that the average skill level is higher than that of more recent games, since only the most dedicated players still play it regularly. You argue that CE isn’t casual-friendly. This is true for any old multiplayer game. It’s simply hard to get into a game as a new player when the average opponent already has years of experience. A higher skill gap is simply more rewarding. BTB kind of evens out the playing field because there is so much going on at once, especially on smaller maps. But dying every time you get a kill gets old pretty quick, especially for competitve players, who prefer to die due to being outskilled rather than being overwhelmed.

If you see players running around with ARs, even after they die like a billion times to pistol...well, you can’t teach stupid.
Well, I hate the BR too but at least there are alternatives. Reach has the Needle Rifle and the magnum, H2/H3 has the Carbine, H4 has the DMR, Light Rifle, Carbine, and Magnum. Another point is that the BR is good but not better in every role all the time. In most CE matches, I have little reason to switch my Magnum(only for the Rocket or Sniper).

Skill gap is only rewarding when your on the winning side. I absolutely hate playing against better opponents all the time. This is why I don’t play H3 Hatdcore, H2 Harcore, or HCE Doubles. Spawns still feel random in most games. I have not got the locations down in CE or any other Halo. I don’t get how people can spawn kill and know where they are going to spawn next.

I agree you can’t teach stupid. Eventually players should learn from dying over and over. But hey, I die over and over in H3 and still can’t get the BR down.
Spawns still feel random in most games. I have not got the locations down in CE or any other Halo. I don’t get how people can spawn kill and know where they are going to spawn next.

I mean, that's literally part of the reason this thread exists. There's links in here that explain how CE spawns work. And yes, some of them are indeed random.
Spawns still feel random in most games. I have not got the locations down in CE or any other Halo. I don’t get how people can spawn kill and know where they are going to spawn next.

I mean, that's literally part of the reason this thread exists. There's links in here that explain how CE spawns work. And yes, some of them are indeed random.
Sure, I can watch videos but how can I remember the spawns of 10+ maps. I wish I had a photographic memory but I don’t. Same reason I don’t know/can’t remember specific call outs. I mean I can say “top middle” but I can’t specify anything beyond that.
Spawns still feel random in most games. I have not got the locations down in CE or any other Halo. I don’t get how people can spawn kill and know where they are going to spawn next.

I mean, that's literally part of the reason this thread exists. There's links in here that explain how CE spawns work. And yes, some of them are indeed random.
Sure, I can watch videos but how can I remember the spawns of 10+ maps. I wish I had a photographic memory but I don’t. Same reason I don’t know/can’t remember specific call outs. I mean I can say “top middle” but I can’t specify anything beyond that.
You won’t remember spawns and callouts for a map right away, it takes a lot of time. Most callouts in CE revolve around color (room color or base color) and powerups/power weapons, so that’s a good starting point. Hard VVay’s guide to spawns is pretty much all you need to know approximately where enemies spawn. To learn specific spawn points, you just need to observe where enemies spawn and don’t spawn. For example, on Battle Creek, the corners of each base have a few spawn points, and there are no spawn points in the creek or on top of the bases.
Ser Joey wrote:
Spawns still feel random in most games. I have not got the locations down in CE or any other Halo. I don’t get how people can spawn kill and know where they are going to spawn next.

I mean, that's literally part of the reason this thread exists. There's links in here that explain how CE spawns work. And yes, some of them are indeed random.
Sure, I can watch videos but how can I remember the spawns of 10+ maps. I wish I had a photographic memory but I don’t. Same reason I don’t know/can’t remember specific call outs. I mean I can say “top middle” but I can’t specify anything beyond that.
You won’t remember spawns and callouts for a map right away, it takes a lot of time. Most callouts in CE revolve around color (room color or base color) and powerups/power weapons, so that’s a good starting point. Hard VVay’s guide to spawns is pretty much all you need to know approximately where enemies spawn. To learn specific spawn points, you just need to observe where enemies spawn and don’t spawn. For example, on Battle Creek, the corners of each base have a few spawn points, and there are no spawn points in the creek or on top of the bases.
This right here, the best way to remember calllouts in CE is the map layout for each map since each map is unique. For example I say Dance Floor on Rat Race everyone knows what I'm talking about.
veganpork wrote:
-snip-
It’s not technically cheating but I still agree with you. How many people want to study and time everything just for a video game? This is fine for pros but not great for a casual players. Halo CE is boring because of the Magnum. BTB can be fun but smaller matches are boring. Everyone switches to Magnums the whole match. There is too much skill gap(or just bad matchmaking), leading to the most lopsided matches I have ever seen.

OP, I get what your doing and think that it is a good thing. I see a lot of people running around with ARs, quitting, and betraying. A lot of people need some basic advice but how many new players are going to be on Waypoint or care enough to time or study spawns? I don’t even have time to learn melee glitches(cheating) or study spawns. I just play to relax, this isn’t a professional game that I have 40hrs a week to play. Higher skill gap=/ more enjoyable game.
A person is always going to be incompetent at Halo 1 and video games in general as long as that person decides to only approach video games with a casual mindset. In order for a person to become competent at a video it's required for that person to approach the video game with a competitive mindset. People can become competent Halo 1 players without having to play 40hrs a week. It's more about the quality of time that you invest into playing Halo 1 not the quantity of time that you invest into playing Halo 1. A person can play Halo 1 40hrs a week and still not improve at the game because the person wasn't approaching the game with a competitive mindset and wasn't playing with competent players. Another person on the other hand can play Halo 1 one hour everyday and improve incrementally over time because the person is approaching the game with a competitive mindset and is playing with competent players. The key to becoming a competent player at competitive video games such as Halo 1 is to make subtle incremental improvements over a long period of time.

I disagree that video games with a high skill gap aren't enjoyable. Just like BxSoulijah pointed out, the enjoyment that people get from playing video games is extremely subjective. I personally get enjoyment from playing video games that have a high skill gap such as Halo 1 because I enjoy challenging myself and I enjoy seeing myself make subtle incremental improvements at the game.
Quote:
Melee glitches/bottom combos are cheating because the player is taking advantage of something not meant to be part of the game. It feels like cheating when an experienced play uses a glitch to kill a newer player. Imagine that a tech savvy player knows how to hack their console. That would be cheating and going outside the intended way the game is played. Admittedly, button combos are not as bad as console hacking(whatever that even is). I think that you do need a significant amount of practice, considering that I’ve been playing Halo consistently for years and still can’t reach higher ranks in the MCC. I suspect the level 50s are playing nothing but Halo in all their free time.
That's a false equivalence. There's a huge difference between using mods and hacks to get an unfair advantage against your opponents vs utilizing melee glitches, button combos, and other exploits as legitimate tactics. Whether or not melee glitches, button combos, and other exploits were intended to be in the game is irrelevant because the fact of the matter is they are still legitimate aspects of the game that people will use. Mods and hacks that give you unfair advantages against your opponents are not legitimate aspects of the game.

Most people in the competitive Halo community are not fond of modders and hackers however they are fond of utilizing button combos and other exploits as legitimate tactics unless there are specific arbitrary honor rules against using them. The unfairness of a player utilizing melee glitches and button combos as legitimate tactics against newcomers in Halo 1 is caused by a knowledge gap between players, not because utilizing them is condsidered cheating. It is fair to utilize melee glitches and button combos against other competent Halo 1 players because the competent Halo 1 players are aware of the intricacies and nuances of the game. What provides players a fair environment for online play is an adequate ranking system that matches players appropriately according to their skill. BTW it's possible to duck single and double melee's in Halo 1.
Quote:
Well, I hate the BR too but at least there are alternatives. Reach has the Needle Rifle and the magnum, H2/H3 has the Carbine, H4 has the DMR, Light Rifle, Carbine, and Magnum. Another point is that the BR is good but not better in every role all the time. In most CE matches, I have little reason to switch my Magnum(only for the Rocket or Sniper).Skill gap is only rewarding when your on the winning side. I absolutely hate playing against better opponents all the time. This is why I don’t play H3 Hatdcore, H2 Harcore, or HCE Doubles. Spawns still feel random in most games. I have not got the locations down in CE or any other Halo. I don’t get how people can spawn kill and know where they are going to spawn next.I agree you can’t teach stupid. Eventually players should learn from dying over and over. But hey, I die over and over in H3 and still can’t get the BR down.
It seems to me that you disagree with the concept of a utility weapon(jack of all trades weapon). Hard Way pointed out in his post and his video that even though the pistol is Halo 1's utility weapon(jack of all trades weapon) it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best weapon to use in every single situation in Halo 1. Every weapon in Halo 1's sandbox with the exception of the needler has a purpose.

While 343 has made some improvements to the shot registration for Halo 1 on MCC, the plasma rifle and shotgun for MCC Halo 1 are still not as effective or consistent as their original Halo 1 counterparts. That being said since the recent update for MCC I think that the shotgun and the plasma rilfe in Halo 1 on MCC are now somewhat worth picking up and using but don't expect them to be as effective or consistent as their original Halo 1 counterparts.

The problem with having alternative weapons to the utility weapon in Halo is that it causes the sandbox to be cluttered with redundant weapons that all share the same role. Just look at how cluttered Halo 5's weapon sandbox is. It has a Magnum, BR, DMR, Carbine, and Light Rifle and they all share the same overlapping role of a utility weapon. The key to having a well-rounded weapon sandbox for Halo is to have one main utility weapon, a few power items(rockets, snipe, camo, and OS), and some niche situational weapons that have an unique purpose(plasma rifle, plasma pistol, AR, shotgun, and etc).
Spawns still feel random in most games. I have not got the locations down in CE or any other Halo. I don’t get how people can spawn kill and know where they are going to spawn next.

I mean, that's literally part of the reason this thread exists. There's links in here that explain how CE spawns work. And yes, some of them are indeed random.
Sure, I can watch videos but how can I remember the spawns of 10+ maps. I wish I had a photographic memory but I don’t. Same reason I don’t know/can’t remember specific call outs. I mean I can say “top middle” but I can’t specify anything beyond that.
Just like Ser Joey already said, it will take some time to be able to memorize spawn points, random zones, and callouts for all of the maps in Halo 1. A decent way to accelerate your learning process of Halo 1's spawn system is to utilize halospawns.com while also watching videos that breakdown the spawn points and random zones. It becomes easier to memorize callouts for maps once you realize that most callouts for maps in Halo 1 are based on colors of the bases/rooms and item placements. For an example, on Chill Out you have rocket room, top PR(plasma rifle), bottom PR(plasma rifle), double pistol( located near the double double doors in rocket room), shotgun room, invis(camo)room AKA pink room, sniper, sniper hallway AKA pink hallway, OS hallway, needler portal AKA spiral, and etc.

Here are some informative videos for Halo 1's spawn system.
Here are some informative videos breaking down the callouts for Halo 1's maps.
xxcloud7xx wrote:
Alternatively, be me and stand somewhere forgetting that I'm forcing bad spawns and get yelled at by teammate.

7/10 would not recommend.
xxcloud7xx wrote:
Alternatively, be me and stand somewhere forgetting that I'm forcing bad spawns and get yelled at by teammate.

7/10 would not recommend.
Yeah, that’s me. I learned about spawns in HCE from a former pro gamer, who told that how it works when I was just sitting in one spot.

xxcloud7xx: I do disagree with a jack of all trades weapon. Don’t get me wrong, I am in favor of BR starts in H2/H3. SMG starts are unbalanced because a team that manages to get the BRs at the beginning, are going to keep doing well and control the power weapons. At least BR starts give everyone a chance.The Magnum, on the other hand, is ridiculously overpowered. Like I already said, I have little reason to ever pick anything up besides Rockets, Sniper, and occasionally Shotgun. It simply is too powerful. Why even waste time on a Plasma Pistol, when people can kill you in 3 shots? It’s less that I have a problem with a jack of all trades weapon, it’s more that I have a problem with the Magnum creating boring matches.

BR: Useful at most range. Can be beat by certain weapons

Magnum: Useful at every range besides extreme distance. Can even beat the Shotgun unless very close. Only weapons that are better at range is Sniper(which sucks at everything else) and Rockets(can be beat by Magnum depending on environment and range).
The thing to remember with the pistol is that you're not getting 3 shot kills every time, or even most of the time. Even the top players back in the day who LANed all day every day weren't 3 shotting every time. Most good players are consistently killing in 4-6 shots. I would say for me personally only 1/4 of my pistol battles end in a 3 shot kill, give or take a little depending on lag and if I'm having a good day or not.

Quick camo is one of the best reasons to ditch the pistol. It's a great way to maintain stealth when you have rockets on Damnation or Hang Em High. Same for sniping too as it allows you more time to get a better shot or position and stay alive after. These situations can turn the tide of a match, all without the pistol.

My favorite thing about the pistol's power and quick minimum kill time is that if a player is good enough, they can overcome situations where the odds are not in their favor. It's possible to take out 2 people yourself who decide to rush from portal when you're in green room on Damnation. Or getting a clutch 3 shot on the rocket guy before he can fire in time. In other Halos you're basically screwed in these situations and the best you can do is dish out as much damage as possible before your demise and shout "one shot at my X!" or whatever.
veganpork wrote:
-snip-
It’s not technically cheating but I still agree with you. How many people want to study and time everything just for a video game? This is fine for pros but not great for a casual players. Halo CE is boring because of the Magnum. BTB can be fun but smaller matches are boring. Everyone switches to Magnums the whole match. There is too much skill gap(or just bad matchmaking), leading to the most lopsided matches I have ever seen.

OP, I get what your doing and think that it is a good thing. I see a lot of people running around with ARs, quitting, and betraying. A lot of people need some basic advice but how many new players are going to be on Waypoint or care enough to time or study spawns? I don’t even have time to learn melee glitches(cheating) or study spawns. I just play to relax, this isn’t a professional game that I have 40hrs a week to play. Higher skill gap=/ more enjoyable game.
I kinda agree that CE has too large of a skill gap for the casual Halo player to just jump in and fully grasp what is happening with zero in game tutorials, videos, or mechanics to help newer players understand the details of the game. But it would be fallacy to say that you need 40 hours a week of playtime or a tremendous amount of studying time to become proficient at H1. Just like anything else in life, a little practice and effort is all it takes to notice results. Also saying that a higher skill gap does not equal an enjoyable game is extremely subjective. If that was the case than genres like fighting games, MOBA, RTS, etc wouldn't be as popular as they are with both a casual and competitive audience. Just because you personally don't enjoy a Halo game with a real skill curve does not mean many, many other people also don't.

And I would love to hear in your owns words how melee glitches in H1 are "cheating"?
Melee glitches/bottom combos are cheating because the player is taking advantage of something not meant to be part of the game. It feels like cheating when an experienced play uses a glitch to kill a newer player. Imagine that a tech savvy player knows how to hack their console. That would be cheating and going outside the intended way the game is played. Admittedly, button combos are not as bad as console hacking(whatever that even is). I think that you do need a significant amount of practice, considering that I’ve been playing Halo consistently for years and still can’t reach higher ranks in the MCC. I suspect the level 50s are playing nothing but Halo in all their free time.
If improving at Halo is appealing to you in the slightest bit, then I strongly encourage you to read the page I'm about to link you. I first read this around the time Halo 2 came out, and it honestly helped me improve faster at Halo, and every other game I play. I sincerely hope it enlightens you as it did me, and so many others.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub
Wow button glitches sitll being compared to hacks in 2018. Guess some things never change.
It's not my fault Bungie released the game with button glitches in them. Anyone decent at the game will tell you that it enhances the game play. Anyone can do them without any modification to their game or console. That's why it's a glitch and not a hack. I think 343 even put up tutorials on the halo channel for button glitches. Maybe they should be linked somewhere in MCC so people know about them. It's just another thing to learn about the game, like nading weapons, knowing the spawn system or trick jumps. Those are all things that an experienced player has over a newby. Halo CE would be a pretty bad game if being an experienced player gave you no advantage over a noob.
Hard VVay wrote:
veganpork wrote:
-snip-
It’s not technically cheating but I still agree with you. How many people want to study and time everything just for a video game? This is fine for pros but not great for a casual players. Halo CE is boring because of the Magnum. BTB can be fun but smaller matches are boring. Everyone switches to Magnums the whole match. There is too much skill gap(or just bad matchmaking), leading to the most lopsided matches I have ever seen.

OP, I get what your doing and think that it is a good thing. I see a lot of people running around with ARs, quitting, and betraying. A lot of people need some basic advice but how many new players are going to be on Waypoint or care enough to time or study spawns? I don’t even have time to learn melee glitches(cheating) or study spawns. I just play to relax, this isn’t a professional game that I have 40hrs a week to play. Higher skill gap=/ more enjoyable game.
I kinda agree that CE has too large of a skill gap for the casual Halo player to just jump in and fully grasp what is happening with zero in game tutorials, videos, or mechanics to help newer players understand the details of the game. But it would be fallacy to say that you need 40 hours a week of playtime or a tremendous amount of studying time to become proficient at H1. Just like anything else in life, a little practice and effort is all it takes to notice results. Also saying that a higher skill gap does not equal an enjoyable game is extremely subjective. If that was the case than genres like fighting games, MOBA, RTS, etc wouldn't be as popular as they are with both a casual and competitive audience. Just because you personally don't enjoy a Halo game with a real skill curve does not mean many, many other people also don't.

And I would love to hear in your owns words how melee glitches in H1 are "cheating"?
Melee glitches/bottom combos are cheating because the player is taking advantage of something not meant to be part of the game. It feels like cheating when an experienced play uses a glitch to kill a newer player. Imagine that a tech savvy player knows how to hack their console. That would be cheating and going outside the intended way the game is played. Admittedly, button combos are not as bad as console hacking(whatever that even is). I think that you do need a significant amount of practice, considering that I’ve been playing Halo consistently for years and still can’t reach higher ranks in the MCC. I suspect the level 50s are playing nothing but Halo in all their free time.
If improving at Halo is appealing to you in the slightest bit, then I strongly encourage you to read the page I'm about to link you. I first read this around the time Halo 2 came out, and it honestly helped me improve faster at Halo, and every other game I play. I sincerely hope it enlightens you as it did me, and so many others.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub
The page is informative on what mindset a competitive gamer should have, however there are some flaws. Not every player wants to play to win and some people just don’t have the time to figure out the details of every game. It’s like the article is ignoring the casual side of gaming. I can’t go into every board game, card game, shooter, RTS, etc, and become a high level professional player. For example, I am far from a great Halo player, but I don’t focus as much on any other game. I can’t even be good at CoD and Halo at the same time. I simply don’t play anything besides Halo that competitively. Even when I do try to get better at Halo, I feel like I should be doing something more reconstructive. I just don’t have the time or skill.
Hard VVay wrote:
veganpork wrote:
-snip-
It’s not technically cheating but I still agree with you. How many people want to study and time everything just for a video game? This is fine for pros but not great for a casual players. Halo CE is boring because of the Magnum. BTB can be fun but smaller matches are boring. Everyone switches to Magnums the whole match. There is too much skill gap(or just bad matchmaking), leading to the most lopsided matches I have ever seen.

OP, I get what your doing and think that it is a good thing. I see a lot of people running around with ARs, quitting, and betraying. A lot of people need some basic advice but how many new players are going to be on Waypoint or care enough to time or study spawns? I don’t even have time to learn melee glitches(cheating) or study spawns. I just play to relax, this isn’t a professional game that I have 40hrs a week to play. Higher skill gap=/ more enjoyable game.
I kinda agree that CE has too large of a skill gap for the casual Halo player to just jump in and fully grasp what is happening with zero in game tutorials, videos, or mechanics to help newer players understand the details of the game. But it would be fallacy to say that you need 40 hours a week of playtime or a tremendous amount of studying time to become proficient at H1. Just like anything else in life, a little practice and effort is all it takes to notice results. Also saying that a higher skill gap does not equal an enjoyable game is extremely subjective. If that was the case than genres like fighting games, MOBA, RTS, etc wouldn't be as popular as they are with both a casual and competitive audience. Just because you personally don't enjoy a Halo game with a real skill curve does not mean many, many other people also don't.

And I would love to hear in your owns words how melee glitches in H1 are "cheating"?
Melee glitches/bottom combos are cheating because the player is taking advantage of something not meant to be part of the game. It feels like cheating when an experienced play uses a glitch to kill a newer player. Imagine that a tech savvy player knows how to hack their console. That would be cheating and going outside the intended way the game is played. Admittedly, button combos are not as bad as console hacking(whatever that even is). I think that you do need a significant amount of practice, considering that I’ve been playing Halo consistently for years and still can’t reach higher ranks in the MCC. I suspect the level 50s are playing nothing but Halo in all their free time.
If improving at Halo is appealing to you in the slightest bit, then I strongly encourage you to read the page I'm about to link you. I first read this around the time Halo 2 came out, and it honestly helped me improve faster at Halo, and every other game I play. I sincerely hope it enlightens you as it did me, and so many others.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub
The page is informative on what mindset a competitive gamer should have, however there are some flaws. Not every player wants to play to win and some people just don’t have the time to figure out the details of every game. It’s like the article is ignoring the casual side of gaming. I can’t go into every board game, card game, shooter, RTS, etc, and become a high level professional player. For example, I am far from a great Halo player, but I don’t focus as much on any other game. I can’t even be good at CoD and Halo at the same time. I simply don’t play anything besides Halo that competitively. Even when I do try to get better at Halo, I feel like I should be doing something more reconstructive. I just don’t have the time or skill.
Regardless if your playing competitively or casual the person will still feel better that they know how to play the game versus being complete lost in it.
Hard VVay wrote:
veganpork wrote:
-snip-
It’s not technically cheating but I still agree with you. How many people want to study and time everything just for a video game? This is fine for pros but not great for a casual players. Halo CE is boring because of the Magnum. BTB can be fun but smaller matches are boring. Everyone switches to Magnums the whole match. There is too much skill gap(or just bad matchmaking), leading to the most lopsided matches I have ever seen.

OP, I get what your doing and think that it is a good thing. I see a lot of people running around with ARs, quitting, and betraying. A lot of people need some basic advice but how many new players are going to be on Waypoint or care enough to time or study spawns? I don’t even have time to learn melee glitches(cheating) or study spawns. I just play to relax, this isn’t a professional game that I have 40hrs a week to play. Higher skill gap=/ more enjoyable game.
I kinda agree that CE has too large of a skill gap for the casual Halo player to just jump in and fully grasp what is happening with zero in game tutorials, videos, or mechanics to help newer players understand the details of the game. But it would be fallacy to say that you need 40 hours a week of playtime or a tremendous amount of studying time to become proficient at H1. Just like anything else in life, a little practice and effort is all it takes to notice results. Also saying that a higher skill gap does not equal an enjoyable game is extremely subjective. If that was the case than genres like fighting games, MOBA, RTS, etc wouldn't be as popular as they are with both a casual and competitive audience. Just because you personally don't enjoy a Halo game with a real skill curve does not mean many, many other people also don't.

And I would love to hear in your owns words how melee glitches in H1 are "cheating"?
Melee glitches/bottom combos are cheating because the player is taking advantage of something not meant to be part of the game. It feels like cheating when an experienced play uses a glitch to kill a newer player. Imagine that a tech savvy player knows how to hack their console. That would be cheating and going outside the intended way the game is played. Admittedly, button combos are not as bad as console hacking(whatever that even is). I think that you do need a significant amount of practice, considering that I’ve been playing Halo consistently for years and still can’t reach higher ranks in the MCC. I suspect the level 50s are playing nothing but Halo in all their free time.
If improving at Halo is appealing to you in the slightest bit, then I strongly encourage you to read the page I'm about to link you. I first read this around the time Halo 2 came out, and it honestly helped me improve faster at Halo, and every other game I play. I sincerely hope it enlightens you as it did me, and so many others.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub
The page is informative on what mindset a competitive gamer should have, however there are some flaws. Not every player wants to play to win and some people just don’t have the time to figure out the details of every game. It’s like the article is ignoring the casual side of gaming. I can’t go into every board game, card game, shooter, RTS, etc, and become a high level professional player. For example, I am far from a great Halo player, but I don’t focus as much on any other game. I can’t even be good at CoD and Halo at the same time. I simply don’t play anything besides Halo that competitively. Even when I do try to get better at Halo, I feel like I should be doing something more reconstructive. I just don’t have the time or skill.
I don't think that your lack of time and skill are currently the main things holding you back from improving at Halo. I think that the current main thing holding you back from improving at Halo is the mindset that you used to come to the conclusion that melee glitches/button combos are "cheating".

The button combos in Halo 1 are pretty simple to learn. It doesn't take a ton of time to be able to learn Halo 1's button combos such as backpack reload(reload, reload, switch weapon) and double melee(melee, grenade, melee.) It doesn't take a lot of mechanical skill to be able to execute those two Halo 1 button combos. I'm pretty sure a player around your skill range could learn how to backpack reload and double melee in Halo 1 without having to invest a ton of time into playing the game.

Halo 1 (CE) Button Combos / Weapon Glitches
Exactly. It's not a question of time. I think it's a mental hangup that you have, where you equate even the most rudimentary research into a game with "trying to be a pro gamer". No man, it's trying to enjoy the game more by being able to hold your own better. I'm pretty sure both of us enjoy winning and doing well more than we enjoy losing. It's just that one of us has done something about it. How long have you been playing Halo? It sounds like a long time, right? In all of those years, if you had substituted the time it would take to play like 3 games with some very basic research about the game instead, you would have a much stronger grasp on the game. Until you do that, complaining about getting naded on spawn (or any other easily attained knowledge) just sounds like a lack of effort on your part. It's not a time issue. It's not a skill issue. It's an attitude issue. No one is going to feel sorry for you if you're completely unwilling to help yourself.
Hard VVay wrote:
Exactly. It's not a question of time. I think it's a mental hangup that you have, where you equate even the most rudimentary research into a game with "trying to be a pro gamer". No man, it's trying to enjoy the game more by being able to hold your own better. I'm pretty sure both of us enjoy winning and doing well more than we enjoy losing. It's just that one of us has done something about it. How long have you been playing Halo? It sounds like a long time, right? In all of those years, if you had substituted the time it would take to play like 3 games with some very basic research about the game instead, you would have a much stronger grasp on the game. Until you do that, complaining about getting naded on spawn (or any other easily attained knowledge) just sounds like a lack of effort on your part. It's not a time issue. It's not a skill issue. It's an attitude issue. No one is going to feel sorry for you if you're completely unwilling to help yourself.
Actually, I have got a lot better at this game over the last couple of years. I never played online until 2016 and have made a lot of progress in all the Halo games. I picked up H4 right away and have reached CSR 40 in BTB. Halo the MCC was very hard to enjoy, when I first got it. I finally am enjoying all the Halos(excluding H3). Not the point of this thread but I have more issues with H3 than HCE. In CE, I just learned that crouching reduces falling damage and was messing around with backpack reloading the other day.

The point is, I’m definitely trying to improve and have already improved somewhat. The problem is that there are people so far above my skill level, I will never reach it. How am I supposed to catch up to players who haven’t stopped since 2001? It’s less of a problem with Halo CE and more of a reaction to such an old game. For example, I play H4 consistently and will likely destroy anybody new to the game. Admittedly, I have time to improve since I have time to discuss issues on Waypoint.

Maybe I exaggerated how bad I do in CE because when I first started playing, I got spawn killed a lot after my ally quit(Team Doubles). Most of my recent matches have been filled with total noobs. I suspect that dedicated HCE playlists have more competitive players but BTB is filled with people who know nothing of the game. It’s too bad because BTB is quite enjoyable on Sidewinder and Blood Gulch.
Hard VVay wrote:
Exactly. It's not a question of time. I think it's a mental hangup that you have, where you equate even the most rudimentary research into a game with "trying to be a pro gamer". No man, it's trying to enjoy the game more by being able to hold your own better. I'm pretty sure both of us enjoy winning and doing well more than we enjoy losing. It's just that one of us has done something about it. How long have you been playing Halo? It sounds like a long time, right? In all of those years, if you had substituted the time it would take to play like 3 games with some very basic research about the game instead, you would have a much stronger grasp on the game. Until you do that, complaining about getting naded on spawn (or any other easily attained knowledge) just sounds like a lack of effort on your part. It's not a time issue. It's not a skill issue. It's an attitude issue. No one is going to feel sorry for you if you're completely unwilling to help yourself.
Actually, I have got a lot better at this game over the last couple of years. I never played online until 2016 and have made a lot of progress in all the Halo games. I picked H4 right away and have reached CSR 40 in BTB. Halo the MCC was very hard to enjoy, when I first got. I finally am enjoying all the Halos(excluding H3). Not the point of this thread but I have more issues with H3 than HCE. In CE, I just learned that crouching reduces falling damage and was messing around with backpack reloading the other day.

The point is, I’m definitely trying to improve and have already improved somewhat. The problem is that there are people so far above my skill level, I will never reach it. How am I supposed to catch up to players who haven’t stopped since 2001? It’s less of a problem with Halo CE and more of a reaction to such an old game. For example, I play H4 consistently and will likely destroy anybody new to the game. Admittedly, I have time to improve since I have time to discuss issues on Waypoint.

Maybe I exaggerated how bad I do in CE because when I first started playing, I got spawn killed a lot after my ally quit(Team Doubles). Most of my recent matches have been filled with total noobs. I suspect that dedicated HCE playlist have more competitive players but BTB is filled with people who nothing of the game. This too bad because BTB is quite enjoyable on Sidewinder and Blood Gulch.
Ahhh, see, I didn't know you had just started playing online recently. That's awesome that you're diving in and trying to learn more. Spending some time online and looking up some tips for each game can me more valuable than dozens of games worth of experience.

The nice thing about playing people that are better than you, is that you learn what works. If you can figure out why and when they're doing those things, all you gotta do is copy them. It's really hard to stay a lot better than people if that person really wants to learn. They can rapidly close the gap just by being a copycat. It can also be really helpful to watch people break down gameplay and explain their thought process.

That's the thing about CE. It's absolutely punishing to people coming in blind, and people have a knee jerk reaction to getting beaten so badly. But you're really just a few tricks and nuggets of knowledge away from significantly closing the gap. CE makes the gap look a lot worse on paper than it might actually be, since one good decision can often yield several kills in a row. It's not as insurmountable as it seems. Even stuff like spawns aren't nearly as difficult to learn as it might seem. If you actually go to that site I link in OP (www.halospawns.com), you'll see that no map has more than 30 spawns. Wizard, for example, only has 16, and they're mirrored 4 ways so you really only gotta learn 4. It's not that hard to remember most of them, especially if you just learn them room by room.

I have a bunch of stuff on my Youtube channel for CE, which I linked in the OP, but I also made eight gameplay reviews. Most of them are Halo 4, since that's when I was going hot and heavy with my channel. If you want to hear a longtime player break down decision making, I'm pretty proud of what I offered those guys. Hell, send me an average gameplay of yours and I might make one for you if you like the other ones. You mentioned being a fan of both Halo 4 and BTB, so I'll post the most relevant one I made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJQVbVC7l8&index=7&list=PLFiMqowkY59sJNXDtNvSAROH9I3ZiGyAR&t=0s
Hard VVay wrote:
Hard VVay wrote:
Exactly. It's not a question of time. I think it's a mental hangup that you have, where you equate even the most rudimentary research into a game with "trying to be a pro gamer". No man, it's trying to enjoy the game more by being able to hold your own better. I'm pretty sure both of us enjoy winning and doing well more than we enjoy losing. It's just that one of us has done something about it. How long have you been playing Halo? It sounds like a long time, right? In all of those years, if you had substituted the time it would take to play like 3 games with some very basic research about the game instead, you would have a much stronger grasp on the game. Until you do that, complaining about getting naded on spawn (or any other easily attained knowledge) just sounds like a lack of effort on your part. It's not a time issue. It's not a skill issue. It's an attitude issue. No one is going to feel sorry for you if you're completely unwilling to help yourself.
Actually, I have got a lot better at this game over the last couple of years. I never played online until 2016 and have made a lot of progress in all the Halo games. I picked H4 right away and have reached CSR 40 in BTB. Halo the MCC was very hard to enjoy, when I first got. I finally am enjoying all the Halos(excluding H3). Not the point of this thread but I have more issues with H3 than HCE. In CE, I just learned that crouching reduces falling damage and was messing around with backpack reloading the other day.

The point is, I’m definitely trying to improve and have already improved somewhat. The problem is that there are people so far above my skill level, I will never reach it. How am I supposed to catch up to players who haven’t stopped since 2001? It’s less of a problem with Halo CE and more of a reaction to such an old game. For example, I play H4 consistently and will likely destroy anybody new to the game. Admittedly, I have time to improve since I have time to discuss issues on Waypoint.

Maybe I exaggerated how bad I do in CE because when I first started playing, I got spawn killed a lot after my ally quit(Team Doubles). Most of my recent matches have been filled with total noobs. I suspect that dedicated HCE playlist have more competitive players but BTB is filled with people who nothing of the game. This too bad because BTB is quite enjoyable on Sidewinder and Blood Gulch.
Ahhh, see, I didn't know you had just started playing online recently. That's awesome that you're diving in and trying to learn more. Spending some time online and looking up some tips for each game can me more valuable than dozens of games worth of experience.

The nice thing about playing people that are better than you, is that you learn what works. If you can figure out why and when they're doing those things, all you gotta do is copy them. It's really hard to stay a lot better than people if that person really wants to learn. They can rapidly close the gap just by being a copycat. It can also be really helpful to watch people break down gameplay and explain their thought process.

That's the thing about CE. It's absolutely punishing to people coming in blind, and people have a knee jerk reaction to getting beaten so badly. But you're really just a few tricks and nuggets of knowledge away from significantly closing the gap. CE makes the gap look a lot worse on paper than it might actually be, since one good decision can often yield several kills in a row. It's not as insurmountable as it seems. Even stuff like spawns aren't nearly as difficult to learn as it might seem. If you actually go to that site I link in OP (www.halospawns.com), you'll see that no map has more than 30 spawns. Wizard, for example, only has 16, and they're mirrored 4 ways so you really only gotta learn 4. It's not that hard to remember most of them, especially if you just learn them room by room.

I have a bunch of stuff on my Youtube channel for CE, which I linked in the OP, but I also made eight gameplay reviews. Most of them are Halo 4, since that's when I was going hot and heavy with my channel. If you want to hear a longtime player break down decision making, I'm pretty proud of what I offered those guys. Hell, send me an average gameplay of yours and I might make one for you if you like the other ones. You mentioned being a fan of both Halo 4 and BTB, so I'll post the most relevant one I made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJQVbVC7l8&index=7&list=PLFiMqowkY59sJNXDtNvSAROH9I3ZiGyAR&t=0s
Do you want me to send a video to your gamer profile through Xbox or is there a way to upload it through Waypoint?

I would actually like to play some of you guys. I know I’ll probably get destroyed but I want to see how much I could hold my own.
Hard VVay wrote:
Hard VVay wrote:
Exactly. It's not a question of time. I think it's a mental hangup that you have, where you equate even the most rudimentary research into a game with "trying to be a pro gamer". No man, it's trying to enjoy the game more by being able to hold your own better. I'm pretty sure both of us enjoy winning and doing well more than we enjoy losing. It's just that one of us has done something about it. How long have you been playing Halo? It sounds like a long time, right? In all of those years, if you had substituted the time it would take to play like 3 games with some very basic research about the game instead, you would have a much stronger grasp on the game. Until you do that, complaining about getting naded on spawn (or any other easily attained knowledge) just sounds like a lack of effort on your part. It's not a time issue. It's not a skill issue. It's an attitude issue. No one is going to feel sorry for you if you're completely unwilling to help yourself.
Actually, I have got a lot better at this game over the last couple of years. I never played online until 2016 and have made a lot of progress in all the Halo games. I picked H4 right away and have reached CSR 40 in BTB. Halo the MCC was very hard to enjoy, when I first got. I finally am enjoying all the Halos(excluding H3). Not the point of this thread but I have more issues with H3 than HCE. In CE, I just learned that crouching reduces falling damage and was messing around with backpack reloading the other day.

The point is, I’m definitely trying to improve and have already improved somewhat. The problem is that there are people so far above my skill level, I will never reach it. How am I supposed to catch up to players who haven’t stopped since 2001? It’s less of a problem with Halo CE and more of a reaction to such an old game. For example, I play H4 consistently and will likely destroy anybody new to the game. Admittedly, I have time to improve since I have time to discuss issues on Waypoint.

Maybe I exaggerated how bad I do in CE because when I first started playing, I got spawn killed a lot after my ally quit(Team Doubles). Most of my recent matches have been filled with total noobs. I suspect that dedicated HCE playlist have more competitive players but BTB is filled with people who nothing of the game. This too bad because BTB is quite enjoyable on Sidewinder and Blood Gulch.
Ahhh, see, I didn't know you had just started playing online recently. That's awesome that you're diving in and trying to learn more. Spending some time online and looking up some tips for each game can me more valuable than dozens of games worth of experience.

The nice thing about playing people that are better than you, is that you learn what works. If you can figure out why and when they're doing those things, all you gotta do is copy them. It's really hard to stay a lot better than people if that person really wants to learn. They can rapidly close the gap just by being a copycat. It can also be really helpful to watch people break down gameplay and explain their thought process.

That's the thing about CE. It's absolutely punishing to people coming in blind, and people have a knee jerk reaction to getting beaten so badly. But you're really just a few tricks and nuggets of knowledge away from significantly closing the gap. CE makes the gap look a lot worse on paper than it might actually be, since one good decision can often yield several kills in a row. It's not as insurmountable as it seems. Even stuff like spawns aren't nearly as difficult to learn as it might seem. If you actually go to that site I link in OP (www.halospawns.com), you'll see that no map has more than 30 spawns. Wizard, for example, only has 16, and they're mirrored 4 ways so you really only gotta learn 4. It's not that hard to remember most of them, especially if you just learn them room by room.

I have a bunch of stuff on my Youtube channel for CE, which I linked in the OP, but I also made eight gameplay reviews. Most of them are Halo 4, since that's when I was going hot and heavy with my channel. If you want to hear a longtime player break down decision making, I'm pretty proud of what I offered those guys. Hell, send me an average gameplay of yours and I might make one for you if you like the other ones. You mentioned being a fan of both Halo 4 and BTB, so I'll post the most relevant one I made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJQVbVC7l8&index=7&list=PLFiMqowkY59sJNXDtNvSAROH9I3ZiGyAR&t=0s
Do you want me to send a video to your gamer profile through Xbox or is there a way to upload it through Waypoint.

I would actually like to play some you guys. I know I’ll probably get destroyed but I want to see how much I could hold my own.
The easiest way for me was to put it in your fileshare and let me download it and have control in theater. Once it's in there just shoot me a message on XBL. And yeah man, anytime. My GT is Hard VVay (2 V's).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6