Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo: CE Must-Know Tips. Read before searching!

OP Hard VVay

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
So proud of all you logical and sane CE folk in this thread :,)
Does anybody have tips for “Hang ‘em High”? I can’t reach the power weapons because they’re too exposed. Active camo seems to be the only one I can obtain. I do like to go into that lookout near blue base with the shotguns. I got an invincible medal yesterday by mowing players down with the magnum and switching to the shotgun for close range! That was BTB KOTH but today, I played Team Doubles and had some poor matches. Any tips for how to do better on this large open map would be appreciated.
Does anybody have tips for “Hang ‘em High”? I can’t reach the power weapons because they’re too exposed. Active camo seems to be the only one I can obtain. I do like to go into that lookout near blue base with the shotguns. I got an invincible medal yesterday by mowing players down with the magnum and switching to the shotgun for close range! That was BTB KOTH but today, I played Team Doubles and had some poor matches. Any tips for how to do better on this large open map would be appreciated.
https://youtu.be/7B8cozJpbpE
Here’s a quick video on some ways to nade weapons to yourself on HeH.
Here's some helpful stuff specific to Hang Em. Keep in mind, some of these may have already been posted ITT.

Hang 'Em High Callouts Halo 1
Must Know Tricks for Hang Em High: Pt 1
Walshy's Halo Essentials: Episode 1 - Halo CE Spawn System
Beyond the Map: Top 5 Nade Spots on Hang 'Em High
Virginia LAN 2v2 Hang 'Em High Commentary - Halo 1 Neutral Host
Yeah you're usually gonna need to nade snipe to get it. Top powerup is usually grabbed when you go up there with camo, but can also be naded down. You can also get away with running to top powerup from Red if all of your opponents are at Blue Shotty or Camo, since they can't hit you very well.

Rockets, however, can be grabbed through the floor if you jump on the nearest tombstone first. Be sure to learn that one. It's an "every game" trick.
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I’m coming around to Halo CE and the personal power to the player. I got off on the wrong foot on this page, complaining about it’s competitive gameplay.

I played a game of Doubles on Rat Race. My parter was inactive and I still won the game. I used a timer for the Overshield and Camo. Eventually my parter dropped out for being inactive and I completely destroyed the two guys against me with no backup. Went 50 and 10! I actually demoralized one of the player until he was inactive(still in the game) and spawn trapped the other until they both went inactive. Using spawns as an advantage, I got the last 10-15 kills by alternating killing one and the other once they both spawned.

Anyway, I know that they were not the best players but it felt good to have a match where I felt in complete control of power weapons, the magnum, and spawns. Just wanted to say I was wrong when I first argued about this game after such a good match and seeing what this game has to offer. I still have a lot to learn but have become a CE guy!
I have such a silly grin on my face reading that post. Glad to see you had a good time and the magic of this game clicking with you.

Feel free to add me on XBL (GT is IXI FalcoN) if you want to play some time. :)
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I’m coming around to Halo CE and the personal power to the player. I got off on the wrong foot on this page, complaining about it’s competitive gameplay.

I played a game of Doubles on Rat Race. My parter was inactive and I still won the game. I used a timer for the Overshield and Camo. Eventually my parter dropped out for being inactive and I completely destroyed the two guys against me with no backup. Went 50 and 10! I actually demoralized one of the player until he was inactive(still in the game) and spawn trapped the other until they both went inactive. Using spawns as an advantage, I got the last 10-15 kills by alternating killing one and the other once they both spawned.

Anyway, I know that they were not the best players but it felt good to have a match where I felt in complete control of power weapons, the magnum, and spawns. Just wanted to say I was wrong when I first argued about this game after such a good match and seeing what this game has to offer. I still have a lot to learn but have become a CE guy!
I’m glad you had such a good experience. And the thing is is that’s just the tip of the iceberg for what CE has to offer. Just a little bit of time and knowledge can go a long way which is what makes CE both competitive and fun. Take this clip for example. https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/li-mr-x-il/video/61107025 If I hadn’t did what I did off my initial spawn the guy I killed with the rockets would have probably gotten away with rockets and camo and been well on his way to a killing spree or more. An inexperienced player would blame that on a bad initial spawn. An experienced player turns a bad situation to their advantage with just a little bit of knowledge about the game. This is why I think that CE is still the best console shooter to date. I hope you continue to invest time into CE and learn some of its ins and outs.
always looking to host halo 1. if anyone wants a fellow halo CE player for custom games add me. Lentstream54744
veganpork wrote:
Totally cheating no wonder why people are running around with ARs and Flshligghts because you nerds have a timer that tells you when stuff spawns. It’s an unfair advantage so that’s why it’s not in the game. You guys aren’t good at halo you just are nerdy enough to look up the spawns and timers when you could just play regularly and not cheat.
How does people running around with ARs and flashlights relate to people using spawn timers?
I dont use timers but this is not cheating. It's not breaking any rule, it isn't exploiting anything, and you are able to use them too.
People have been using timers on the internet for a long time. Saying this is cheating is like saying Halo ×'s button combos are cheating.
Some else doing something that you can't or won't do isn't cheating.
I've played with and against some of the people in this thread that do use timer and I hold my own. The majority of people I play against in general use timers and I don't really do poorly.
IXI FalcoN wrote:
The thing to remember with the pistol is that you're not getting 3 shot kills every time, or even most of the time. Even the top players back in the day who LANed all day every day weren't 3 shotting every time. Most good players are consistently killing in 4-6 shots.
This is a great point.

Halo 1's utility weapon (the pistol) has the largest difference between minimum kill time and average kill time relative to any other utility weapon in Halo.

Part of the reason why the pistol is so well balanced - you really need to be on point to reap the full benefit of the weapon. That's not really the case in H2 and on.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Never thought about using a timer. Might just go try that out.
Never thought about using a timer. Might just go try that out.
I started using a timer and can say it makes games way more more fun and competitive. When you’re a complete noob(like I was), you don’t have much fun in this game; however, when you learn the maps, time weapons, and learn a few tricks, it goes a long way. I still have a lot of stuff to learn but I know enough to hold my own most of the time.
Does anybody have tips for “Hang ‘em High”? I can’t reach the power weapons because they’re too exposed.
From behind the red tower, if you put yourself in a corner and doom in your pistol above the tower you will see three bright stars in a group. Aim at that and throw a grenade, then head to the right side of the tower. The sniper rifle should be blasted from it's spot, bounce off the wall, and land right on you. It's easier on the red side because there is more room for the nade to land. Go into a custom game with a second controller and practice with infinite grenades.

I find one of the most important parts of Halo CE is map movement. The difference between escaping with one red and giving the enemy team another kill is often movement fundamentals. Besides crouching on landings, there are other tricks that tend to be map specific to getting around. I mostly speed run Halo CE, so I've learned a fair bit of tricks to getting around ever so slightly faster, which has saved my tail in many online games.

General (works in Campaign too):When retreating, put your head down. This greatly reduces the cross-section of your head, minimizing the risk of a headshot.

Move in a straight line. Even the slightest bit of strafing lowers your running speed by about 7%. This is why some players seem to be able to outrun you even on flat ground.

Bunny hop on slants. Your jump covers more ground than just moving up it will and gravity tends to pull you faster down hills than running. Coming down on a slant also gives you a slight boost forwards, which you can time your next jump off of for a little extra speed.

Cut all of the corners. Don't go to the bottom of the ramp and then run up it, run to the side of it and jump up the first few feet. Don't follow the path when it takes a 90 degree turn if you can jump over the gap. Over time you'll learn exactly how high and far Chief can jump.

Battle CreekIt's possible to get on top of both bases from two directions. Most people go the route on the side of the base, but there is also a rock in the front-left of both bases followed by a wall. Jumps off of the rocks can be tricky because of the angle but with practice it should be a 100% trick.

In CTF games, the fastest way to get the flag is to have one person wait behind the base and the other person throw the flag out the side windows. For the square window, jump from the ramp closest to the window and throw it at the last second. The rhombus window is more forgiving, I jump from the top of the structure and throw it on my way down.

You can drop safely from the rocket launcher to the ground by bumping the cliff face and punching the rock below you.

DamnationYou can grenade jump from the OS to the rocket launcher. It's the preferred method of getting the OS because you don't have to go back along the narrow bridge. It's very useful when you spawn below green room. Grab sniper, drop to OS, nade jump to rockets, then through the teleport to the top fully armed.

You can drop from the very top of the map onto the rocket launcher by hitting the slanted walls that jut out.

Danger CanyonYou can safely drop form the top where the three doors are to the bottom by inching over the edge and hitting the slanted wall on the way down. It's a useful escape when in trouble because people don't expect it and it puts you right on an over shield.

In CTF, it turns out you can kinda just clip straight to the other base using a ghost. It's tricky but if you strafe the ghost into the wall and get out at the right time, you can go from one side of the map to the other instantly.

Death IslandYou can drop from the top to the blue base on the right side by hitting the slanted part of the top of the base.

You can drop form the top of the red base on it's left side by getting to the lowest point, facing away from the base and hitting a part of the cliff that juts out. It'll likely throw you into a purple crate which you can punch.

You can also drop down in multiple places on the map by jumping on the trees. Most people don't realize that they're solid.

Hang em HighYou can crouch jump to get on top of any of the tombstones. This is useful by the camo because right behind it, there is a tombstone that will allow you to nab the rocket launcher from underneath. Oh yeah, you can grab weapons and powerups through walls (flags too but it's not as reliable.)

When you get the flag at either base, throwing it to the bottom is the fastest way to get it down. It also allows you to sit at the flag and throw it again if they return it.

InfinityThere is geometry that allows to to drop to the bottom from every teleport on the bridge.

LongestRemember that thing about grabbing powerups through walls? Yeah, you can get both powerups from either side by tossing a nade through the little gap. It takes practice to get it right, but this allows you to stick to one side of the map and avoid the hallway all together.

Jump before you get to the ladders. I see so many players get to the ladder and just go up when it's significantly faster to jump up the first few rungs. This is true for any ladder in Halo.

PrisonerYou can grab the rocket launcher from the camo, just jump and hold RB.

Practice falling. This map involves a lot of heights, but there are catwalks everywhere. There is no place on the third floor where you can't get to the bottom easily. If you're in trouble, just drop. Some players won't follow you because they assume you died, some will follow you and commit suicide, but if you know where you're going you'll definitely survive the fall.

SidewinderThe easiest way to get the flag back to your base in to take it through the tunnel to the powerups. You can toss it through to the other side and have your team mate grab it. Even if your team mates don't realize it's there, it's difficult for the other team to return it now that it's trapped on your side.

It's easy to get two teammates with both powerups, a grenade will bounce them from one side to the other.

You can easily drop from the keyhole to the ground instead of going down through the ramp. It's useful for saving a few seconds and sneaking around enemies that might be coming up that ramp with camo and OS.
And the last and most important tip... Practise, there is nothing more effective than playing the game and learning from experience.

In all seriousness what Vvay said is extremely important for people who want to be competitive Halo CE players, that have had slight experience with the game.
I’ve been struggling as of late when I spawn near camo and enemy spawns in red. They instantly nade rocks and sniper to back corner red upon start (as do I if spawned there) and I’m stuck with just camo and no power ups until snipe spawns. I need to be able to hit back corner of red from camo with perfect nade placement. This is why not starting with sticky nades dumbs down the skill curve. If I started with stickies, it would be a gaurenteed kill as the guy would be zoomed in to nade a power weapon just as my sticky lands with perfect placement in back corner red right on him. Plenty of other senarios where you can guess where a player is going to nade a power up from at game start. Sticky nade starts allow counters at game start and add a whole new level of skill to the game. Anyone can get damaged by a frag and live. Sticky nades balance unfair starting positions. Yes it’s more nade points to memorize. Deal with it cause it feelsgoodman!
Here are some everyday combos you can pull off.
Read the text in the right hand corner of the video to see which combo is being utilized.

The widowmaker works good for when they spawn red 3 in priz and step back Danielson works amazing for getting OS and targeting players in camo room in chilly. If you are feeling adventurous, try a side door no scope. Enemy sitting behind pillars in chill main room? No prob, just causally snipe them through the opening in the pillar, aka the eye opener. Or try a sticky rocket or 1-2 punch. Detailed visuals in the link below to improve your halo CE experience:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=bfb143a68ee28ceb!181&authkey=!AAQ1XEJETNgibzE&ithint=video%2Cmp4
Anyone have any advice for or even play that one map with all the teleporters? I think it's called Cryon 6lr or something.
Anyone have any advice for or even play that one map with all the teleporters? I think it's called Cryon 6lr or something.
Yeah, don't.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6