Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo: CE Must-Know Tips. Read before searching!

OP Hard VVay

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
What would be the best button mapping for all the games on MCC?
Going back through all the games and trying to get the stank of destiny off of me lol.
I appreciate everyone keep the community update on playlist and giving advice to new players.
Going back through all the games and trying to get the stank of destiny off of me lol.
Whatever works for you honestly. There is no "right" way to play Halo when we're talking about your controller layout or where the buttons are mapped; everyone has their own preference.
yeah he's right no right way to play halo just enjoy the game for what it's worth.
Here are some useful BTB CTF tips.

There is a very real opportunity at the very beginning of the match. Immediately head to the nearest vehicle and make an attack run. Lots of times the enemy team scatters to go collect weapons and vehicles and leave the base unattended. I'd say about a third of the caps that I've made have been in the first minute.

Blood Gultch - This is all about numbers, have at least one person on constant attack with the warthog. Drive it to the back or front of the base while holding a shotgun, pop in and get the flag and hop back in the warthog. You'll die 9 times out of 10, but in a CTF game, you'll easily get 20 tries. Drive on whichever side is opposite of their teleport exit, you don't want to run into them as they teleport to meet you. If you have a large team, you can post a sniper in the cliffs above their teleport exit. A gunner is nice, but optional. Don't worry about leaving the hogs there, they respawn quickly and more than likely the enemy will bring them back. It's best to have a shotgunner stay in the base and the sniper able to see it as well.

Infinity - Don't bother with the warthogs unless you're completely out of vehicles. Banshees are the best. Fly low, I'm usually only a few feet off the ground, and always go through the tunnels; banshees are big targets. Fly straight to the flag and drop down onto it, then right back in. Point the nose straight up to get over the lip, then head back as low as possible to take cover behind rocks. A spotter should stay in the middle by the teleports to be able to call out enemy attacks. If there are no banshees, the ghost is the next best choice. For some reason lots of people don't know that pressing the jump button brings up it's nose, which is necessary to be able to get over the ground smoothly and fast. Drive straight up to the flag and then out the other side.

Gephyrophobia - Station one, maybe two snipers in the teleports to keep the bridge clear and to be able to call out attacks in advance. The attack vehicle is the banshee and the best route is to go underneath the side paths, plopping the banshee down by the teleports and going in with a shotgun and over shield. Grab the flag and go back to your banshee. They'll likely chase you, so fly down under the side path so they don't have a shot at you.

Sidewinder - This is probably the most "think on your feet" map. Post the sniper in the teleports, and have a shotgunner in the back of the base. Alternate how you attack. I usually make my first attack through the tunnels, get both powerups and use a grenade to deny the other team theirs (most players don't realize that they can grenade them back.). Drop down off the cliff on the other side because it's more direct and try to get in there. The other route that I've found to be effective, especially when they are playing hard defense is to take a warthog in. Drive it straight through the door (a passenger with a rocket launcher helps too) and drive straight for the flag, fishtailing as much as possible to kill almost all of them. The other attack path is through the teleports and often you'll want to use multiple attacks at the same time, this is one of the few maps where you can actually do that. Once you get the flag, you really have to think about what to do, you should have taken notes where enemies were during your approach and the sniper needs to be talking to you during your pull. If enemies are right out front, go up and out the teleports. Your sniper should be able to hold them off while you run it around the long way. If you can get to the outside, see if you have top control. If your teammates are in control of the top, take the nearest vehicle and drive it (stay off of the ice.) If going through the middle is too dangerous, B-line for the tunnel and go left. Throw it through the barrier with the two powerups and turn and fight the enemies while your teammates come to pick up the flag. They can't get it back from the other side because grenades do not affect the flag.

Ice Fields - The bridge is the most important spot. Post two snipers and a tank to defend it. Snipers call out enemy movement along the bottom and have tanks waiting to meet them. The runner should go straight up the tunnel, hop out and grab the over shield on the bridge (and maybe rockets too if it's there.). Drive your ghost straight to the ramp and turn it as you get out so it's facing the right way. Grab it and go back through the tunnel. I literally never take it along the bottom, it's sniper city.

Danger Canyon - Alternate between attacking through the middle and in vehicles. Ghosts are the best running vehicle because of how agile they are over the rough terrain. You really need to get good at mashing A. Always turn the ghost as you get out of it. Depending on they type of resistance you passed on the way in, you may chose to go through the tunnel or back the way you came. When going through the tunnel, always drop down through the middle and grab the rocket launcher (unless they have snipe control of the other side, in which case you'll never get out of there) then straight out the center and through the tunnels to the flag. This is another map where a partner is useful. Drop down into the middle with the flag and have a teammate come up your ramp to the sniper spawn. Pass it to the other player, or run it up the middle.

Timberland - Everything other than the ghost is useless. The best route is along the edges. You can pick up invisible and/or rockets if you want. Drive it straight into the base, it fits perfectly through the door. Hop out, grab it and go out the other side. You're in the base for less than three seconds, so anything other than a three-shot, you can withstand. Have your sniper make sure your path back is clear, if a tank is in the way, go around.

Death Island - My favorite map. It's all banshee combat and low, fast flying. No matter which base you are at, go right and stay as low as possible. On one of the bases there is a tunnel to the right, go through that. If that's the side you'r attacking, thats also your attack and escape route. (Do not fly up high, snipers and pistols will take you down fast and give away your position.). Turn it around and grab the flag, then back to the right as low as possible. The side with the tunnel is easier to escape because the tunnel is faster cover. If your banshee gets taken, you're left with the teleports. Head towards the rocket launcher to stay as low as possible then go to the side of your base. On the red base, go to the right side and find the little slippery spot just above the door. Drop down there and make sure you hit the slant on the top of the door. On the blue side, go to the left and find the lowest spot. Face away from the base and drop down, hitting the little piece of cliff that juts out and the purple box. It's possible to do both of these without taking damage, but the blue side is very difficult. If you die during the fall, have a teammate pick it up.
thanks for keeping everyone up to date man.
It’s all up to you. Personally I use the Reclaimed(Halo 4) layout for every game besides Halo CEA which I stick with default(Reach) layout. The only reason I stick with the default layout is because toggling crouch with the “B” button doesn’t work as well in CEA. Grenades aren’t arranged on the HUD for directional pad use either. I even use the Reclaimer/H4 layout in Halo 5. It makes my Halo playthroughs very smooth. Every game is either Reach or H4 controls. And they have many similarities as well. Only difference is what crouches and what switches grenades.
If anyone is interested in watching what high level CE 2v2 action looks like, check out the LAN tournament event at UGC that just happened in St. Louis.
There is one thing I would like to add to this. I've noticed in the campaign when I was turning quickly then firing less than a second after I stopped my shot was nowhere on screen. Tried it with several weapons and I think I tried it with grenades and got the same result. If that also happens in multiplayer then what I think is happening is the game is registering where your character is looking and not where you are looking. If that's the case then it's less about accuracy, latency, and hit registration and more of a flaw that can be pretty hard to adapt to, especially on higher sensitivities. It's like the opposite of those times you've been killed by a guy who wasn't even looking in your general direction.
It’s all up to you. Personally I use the Reclaimed(Halo 4) layout for every game besides Halo CEA which I stick with default(Reach) layout. The only reason I stick with the default layout is because toggling crouch with the “B” button doesn’t work as well in CEA. Grenades aren’t arranged on the HUD for directional pad use either. I even use the Reclaimer/H4 layout in Halo 5. It makes my Halo playthroughs very smooth. Every game is either Reach or H4 controls. And they have many similarities as well. Only difference is what crouches and what switches grenades.
Thanks Broski! I actually do use the H4 controls on MCC but I like the H5 controls the best but for H5 only lol .
Personally I use the default controls. I started with the OG controls but found the MCC defaults much easier. My reasoning is thatI use my thumb for aiming (like most people, does anyone other than pros actually use a claw grip?). Because of this I want the majority of actions mapped to the triggers.

In order to reload in Halo 1, you had to press X, X, Y. The same trick in MCC is RB, RB, Y. This means a fraction of a second less without being able to aim. Same thing in Halo 2 comparing BXR with B RB R. In fact, that tricks much easier in my opinion with reloading mapped to the bumper, but it’s a much less commonly used combo, you’ll use it maybe twice a gaming session where you’ll backpack reload a dozen times or more in one match.
This was very helpful. Thank you for taking your time with this post.
wow thanks didn't know about "double melee"
veganpork wrote:
Totally cheating no wonder why people are running around with ARs and Flshligghts because you nerds have a timer that tells you when stuff spawns. It’s an unfair advantage so that’s why it’s not in the game. You guys aren’t good at halo you just are nerdy enough to look up the spawns and timers when you could just play regularly and not cheat.
This has to be a troll post right? No way this guy is serious.
Flashlights obviously are OP.
Postums wrote:
veganpork wrote:
Totally cheating no wonder why people are running around with ARs and Flshligghts because you nerds have a timer that tells you when stuff spawns. It’s an unfair advantage so that’s why it’s not in the game. You guys aren’t good at halo you just are nerdy enough to look up the spawns and timers when you could just play regularly and not cheat.
This has to be a troll post right? No way this guy is serious.
Flashlights obviously are OP.
It's the only way to play Halo CE
Here's something people tend to forget: if you die holding the flag, it will go off on a vector that is a combination of your movement and the direction you are facing. This isn't really that important except on Hang em High. It's extremely important to remember this on Hang em High because where you have to cap the flag is extremely exposed so there is a high likelihood that you'll die and have to have a teammate finish the cap. I've watched so many flags fall from the top of the base to the bottom because they flag runner was looking where they were going rather than strafing while facing the wall. Normally, I tell people to never strafe because you move slower, but while bringing the flag up the base, you always want to be facing the wall/floor. If you die on the short switchback/spiral to the top, those ramps are short and the flag will almost always go over it.

On the red side specifically, also try to act as a human shield, the most dangerous spot is at the very top. It's fully exposed and if you die just before capping, there is a high chance it'll fall all the way down to the back of the base.
Like people have said, it's preference: but in my experience most players swear by either Bumper Jumper or Recon (Recon being H3 default controls)

Bumper Jumper makes for easier mobility, but Recon is great for combos like backpack reload and BXR. I personally use Recon out of habit: either way you're going to have to learn to clawgrip.
N7Kopper wrote:
Like people have said, it's preference: but in my experience most players swear by either Bumper Jumper or Recon (Recon being H3 default controls)

Bumper Jumper makes for easier mobility, but Recon is great for combos like backpack reload and BXR. I personally use Recon out of habit: either way you're going to have to learn to clawgrip.
Not if you just re-map the button actions with the Xbox Accessories app.
Just use the pistol since that’s a three shot or four then if you can use the AR if you’re a pro or something
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6