Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo CE on MCC: First Impressions

OP Immovabl3

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Thank you 343 Studios. I waited so long for this to go on live and then I had given up before you released mcc. I found out a few months ago and started playing today! I have heard some of the negative feedback from OG Lan diehards. I have to say I disagree. I played the original on XBC and also did LAN parties and tournaments. This plays just like XBC off host in my opinion. It is welcomed I don't mind how the lag works on CE. In fact I love it because you can compensate for it with leading your shot. I don't care the some of the weapon sounds are different.

My recommendation is don't listen to the people who say THIS IS GARBAGE and that the OG version is better...of course it is. It was the OG. You can't get all the magic back of playing it when it was new and fresh. 343 did a fantastic job with this and I'm sure I could critique some aspects of the game; however, the differences from the OG are barely noticeable. Sounds of the OG guns did not make this game have the widest skill gap. How it plays did and 343 did capture those competitive aspects from the OG. Again thank you 343 you rock!

PS please also do not listen to those that say the pistol and sniper are to easy to use. I would love to see footage of them against higher ranked and skilled players using the pistol and the sniper...If you can't provide evidence I don't want to hear it!
I strongly disagree with your assessment of the MCC version of Halo 1. I highly recommend for you to do some more research on the various bugs and issues that are plaguing the MCC version of Halo 1 and for you to reconsider your assessment of the game. In my opinion the MCC version of Halo 1 plays nothing like XBC off host. In my opinion playing the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE online via tunneling programs such as xLAN, XLink Kai, and XBC is more tolerable than playing Halo 1 on the MCC online as long as you're playing with people that live close enough to you.
Halo 1 on the MCC is currently plagued with a ton of bugs and issues because it's based off of the botched PC port of Halo 1 instead of the original Xbox verison of Halo 1. Gearbox botched the PC port of Halo 1 and 343 botched the MCC version of Halo 1 by using the botched PC port of Halo 1 instead of the original Xbox version of Halo 1. Halo 1 on the MCC in it's current condition isn't competitively viable for online play and it's certainly not competitively viable for LAN play.

You want evidence that the MCC version of Halo 1 is objectively inferior to the original Xbox version of Halo 1 and that the MCC version of Halo 1 is a poor representation of Halo 1? Here's the evidence.
The Halo 1 community doesn't use the MCC version of Halo 1 for LANs and LAN tournaments because like I said earlier in my post, it's not currently viable for competitive play. The Halo 1 community uses the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE for LANs and LAN tournaments with original Xboxes and CRT TVs/CRT monitors.
If you want to learn more about the issues plaguing Halo 1 on the MCC and why the Halo 1 community prefers using the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE for competitive play then I highly recommend for you to join the Halo 1 Hub discord and for you to check out the Halo 1 Hub website.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I went to one of these LANs recently... CRTs, NHE, the whole shebang. I had high hopes after hearing how much the OG community seems to loathe MCC. I did not think the experience was better. We had to restart the game several times due to NHE-only bugs that didn't exist in vanilla. While the built-in timer is cool, it seems to cause the game to drop even more frames. While it was nostalgic to be able to "feel the pixels" - and shots landed with more predictability, gameplay varied sooo much depending on which TV setup you were on and who was host.

I also realized why this crowd doesn't like 4v4. It is more chaotic yes, but with the extra sluggishness that NHE introduces, the frame-rate often becomes unplayable. MCC does not suffer from this, so 4s play MUCH better.

My biggest complaint with MCC is the missing PR stun and buggy teleport mechanics, and I hope 343 addresses this. But with OG, because hardware and host create such a lopsided advantage, it is a hard sell that it is "objectively" better than netcode with constant framerate and the benefit of HD textures and modern hardware.
I know metal and crew are passionate and have put in many hours, but he constantly derailed any CE related thread and attacked and pushed an agenda drowning out any other point of view. Ultimately, he failed to create positive dialog. To me, CE is timeless and I hope it remains viable to play for another 20 years. I think the custom game browser is a must for this, and a way to host without a spartan and collect game stats would be killer for grassroots communities and niche tournaments.
I appreciate hearing some legit feedback from you two. Not mad at metal but honestly it was a bit condescending of him. I played halo CE on xbc everyday for three years. Held LAN parties every other weekend or at least once a month. I played in about 10 tournaments and won one. There are some small differences between mcc and CE. Granite I have not lanned yet. The plasma rifle being like OG would be cool. The portals are glitchy but not in are able. I have not played halo CE in 8 years until Xmas day. I played over 100 in two days and I’m back in love with this game. It is super competitive compared to other shooters in my opinion. I’m very thankful this was made and wished I had not missed 4 years of it. I gave up hope what must have been right before they announced it.

Anyways I’ll be an active mcc CE player as long as it’s going. I just love halo CE. The most important aspects of the game are true to OG. The two things mentioned along with a custom browser would be great though. If none of that happens though I’m not going anywhere!
TROPSTOP wrote:
I know metal and crew are passionate and have put in many hours, but he constantly derailed any CE related thread and attacked and pushed an agenda drowning out any other point of view. Ultimately, he failed to create positive dialog. To me, CE is timeless and I hope it remains viable to play for another 20 years. I think the custom game browser is a must for this, and a way to host without a spartan and collect game stats would be killer for grassroots communities and niche tournaments.
I don't think that's fair. METAL was making the completely-valid point that MCC CE should be derived straight from original CE, not the Gearbox port. That point should have been a foregone certainty given the promises surrounding the MCC experience. There should never have been a need to debate it after the release of the game, because the MCC version should have been ported from the original version in the first place.
TROPSTOP wrote:
-Snip-
The original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE has frame-rate drops and sluggishness but the game is still competitively viable despite those issues. The original Xbox version of Halo 1 is objectively better in the cruical areas/aspects of the game that enable it to be competitively viable for LANs and LAN tournaments. All of the various bugs and issues that are plaguing the MCC version of Halo 1 makes the game unviable for competitive play. The MCC version of Halo 1 isn't competitively viable for online play and it's certainly not competitively viable for LAN play.

The original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE doesn't have game breaking issues such as:
Do you have any empirical evidence to backup the assertion that the built-in timer in Halo 1 NHE causes the game to drop even more frames? If you don't have any empirical evidence then I'm going to dismiss your assertion. Anyways if you want to learn more about certain aspects of Halo 1 NHE that some people have issues with or learn more about Halo 1 NHE in general then I highly recommend for you to join the Halo 1 Hub discord and ask dds, Devilman, insidi0us, or Mintograde because they are way more knowledgeable about the game than me. I recommend asking them if the built-in timer in Halo 1 NHE causes the game to drop even more frames.

The frame-rate drops and sluggishness that you experienced when playing Halo 1 NHE isn't mutually exclusive to Halo 1 NHE. The vanilla disc version of OG Halo 1 can also have similar frame-rate drops and sluggishness. The main problem that people have when playing Halo 1 NHE is "the mud"/sluggishness that they experience when system linking with three OG Xboxes when using the "neutral-host" setting. "The mud"/sluggishness that people experience when playing Halo 1 NHE with three OG Xboxes system linked can also occur when playing the vanilla disc version of OG Halo 1 with three OG Xboxes system linked.

This is why a lot of people in the Halo 1 community that still LAN Halo 1 prefer playing on/off host over playing neutral-host. You can still play on/off host on Halo 1 NHE by selecting the "timer only" setting. Most of the games earlier this year at Beach LAN 8 were played on/off host on Halo 1 NHE by using the "timer only" setting. Regarding MCC Halo 1 4v4 versus OG Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE 4v4. Like I said ealier in my post, the various bugs and issues that are plaguing the MCC version of Halo 1 makes the game unviable for competitive play. That means both 2v2 and 4v4 in the MCC version of Halo 1 are unviable for competitive play. 4v4 on the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE is still more competitively viable than 4v4 on the MCC version of Halo 1 despite the frame-rate drops and sluggishness.
I'm hoping once emulation for the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE becomes viable for LAN play that the whole frame-rate drop issue and sluggishness issue will become an entirely moot point. Once emulation becomes viable for LAN play Halo 1 players will finally be able to LAN the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE without having to rely on using dying and archaic hardware.
I would like to see 343 fix the missing PR/plasma pistol stun and buggy teleport mechanics but I also would like to see 343 fix all of the other various issues and bugs that are plaguing the game so it can become viable for competitive play.
Quote:
I appreciate hearing some legit feedback from you two.
You're welcome for the legit feedback. I hope that you will take your time looking at all of those sources that I linked you and I hope that you will analyze all of the differences between the original Xbox version of Halo 1 and the MCC version of Halo 1.
Quote:
I played halo CE on xbc everyday for three years. Held LAN parties every other weekend or at least once a month. I played in about 10 tournaments and won one. There are some small differences between mcc and CE. Granite I have not lanned yet. The plasma rifle being like OG would be cool. The portals are glitchy but not in are able. I have not played halo CE in 8 years until Xmas day. I played over 100 in two days and I’m back in love with this game. It is super competitive compared to other shooters in my opinion.
I disagree with your characterization of the differences between the MCC version of Halo 1 and the original Xbox verison of Halo 1. The differences between the MCC version Halo 1 and the original Xbox version of Halo 1 aren't small they are pretty huge. It seems to me that the honeymoon phase of you playing MCC is clouding your judgement of the MCC version of Halo 1. Once you attempt to LAN the MCC version of Halo 1 you will most likely see why the game isn't considered viable for competitive play.
Quote:
I’m very thankful this was made and wished I had not missed 4 years of it. I gave up hope what must have been right before they announced it.
You wish that you wouldn't of missed four years of MCC? I hope that you realize that the first couple of years of MCC was a disaster. Four years ago Halo 1 on the MCC and the MCC in general were in a way worse state than they currently are now. I recommend for you to use halobugs.com to look at some of the issues that Halo 1 on the MCC had four years ago and afterwards I recommend for you to reconsider your desire of wishing you would of bought this game four years ago.
Quote:
Anyways I’ll be an active mcc CE player as long as it’s going. I just love halo CE. The most important aspects of the game are true to OG. The two things mentioned along with a custom browser would be great though. If none of that happens though I’m not going anywhere!
I honestly can't believe that you have the audacity to make the assertion that the most important aspects of the game are true to OG even after I already linked you a bunch of sources that proved otherwise. Either you're being willfully ignorant of the various bugs and issues that are plaguing the MCC version of Halo 1 or you have been trolling this entire time and I fell for the bait. Regardless I'm done wasting my time on this conversation.
TROPSTOP wrote:
I know metal and crew are passionate and have put in many hours, but he constantly derailed any CE related thread and attacked and pushed an agenda drowning out any other point of view. Ultimately, he failed to create positive dialog. To me, CE is timeless and I hope it remains viable to play for another 20 years. I think the custom game browser is a must for this, and a way to host without a spartan and collect game stats would be killer for grassroots communities and niche tournaments.
Drowns out your point of view? The POV that MCC is perfect and that guys who have been playing this -Yoink- every weekend for nearly two decades just made up all of these things that are wrong with the game? Are you really that oblivious why there's not a positive dialog? Case in point, xxcloud7xx is straight up spoonfeeding you two, who are presumably grown men, a ton of information that metal and others have already given you. I bet you haven't clicked a single link have you? He links a ton of threads that outline lots of problems with the game, and y'all just come back saying "durrrrrrr MCCs better" The dude spent a long time compiling the stuff so you could read it.

You love MCC strictly because you love that CE is online. But just because its online with 60fps doesn't mean that the 100 bugs don't exist, that's not counting the 100 we don't know about. If disc CE and NHE had zero hardware and performance issues, and wasn't limited to LAN only, then 2v2 CE people wouldn't even be here talking with you scrubs and trash talking 343. We'd be playing.

Metal has ran CE LAN parties in the Mississippi region, regularly, for FIFTEEN -Yoinking!- years. I know this because I have helped him set up equipment for hundreds of LAN parties. He's single handedly brought about 50 guys into the Halo CE scene and continues to bring more. So you scrubs don't need to act surprised or offended when you question the knowledge of 18 year CE players and they trash you, these guys have supported the scene and state of this game infinitely more than you have. This is especially true when you've went to "one NHE LAN" or immovabl3 says "granite I have not lanned yet".
Calling 343 names, clowning their intelligence, and screaming at them to restart everything from OG has no tact and will not move the needle. Your best hope is the backwards compatibility team or emulation. If we agree CE is in a better place now than it was on release, then that is at least some progress, and we can only hope that continues forward. Sean Cooper from the original mod scene was picked up a while ago it has been known he has been working on a secret legacy project yet to be revealed.

I agree with cloud that the first couple years were a disaster, and that the OP actually lucked out with timing. The game is in much better shape now, and 343 has committed to continuing effort to fix things (even if it is years later) so we as a CE community should be rallying behind a crystal clear list of top priority items. What would it take for MCC to be competitively viable? Is there any other item that should be prioritized above the lack of plasma stun, teleport mechanics, camo disparity, and spawning action queue? Any list that is more than a handful of items for 343 is tldr and just noise.

Thank you 343 for your effort. We are passionate, dedicated fans of CE, and though we may be cut from a different cloth, we all just want this game to be around for our entire lifetime.
Excellent post tropstop. I won’t argue with someone who wants to condescend me. I stand by my statements. There are some bugs that weren’t in OG; however the current product I’m playing is very good. I remember being on bungies forums when they said they would not even put this game online. Saying it was impossible...I raged because I knew it was not true. I’m glad 343 has done it and while it may have some aspects that are different..it is better than 8 years with no HCE... I’m married with 2 kids, work full time and I’m in school to get my bachelors in software development. I’m not driving to lan parties 3 hours away anymore. If they make changes that make mcc CE more true to OG I’m all for it; however, I’m quite satisfied. I’m done now have a good day, week, year.
TROPSTOP wrote:
Calling 343 names, clowning their intelligence, and screaming at them to restart everything from OG has no tact and will not move the needle. Your best hope is the backwards compatibility team or emulation. If we agree CE is in a better place now than it was on release, then that is at least some progress, and we can only hope that continues forward. Sean Cooper from the original mod scene was picked up a while ago it has been known he has been working on a secret legacy project yet to be revealed.

I agree with cloud that the first couple years were a disaster, and that the OP actually lucked out with timing. The game is in much better shape now, and 343 has committed to continuing effort to fix things (even if it is years later) so we as a CE community should be rallying behind a crystal clear list of top priority items. What would it take for MCC to be competitively viable? Is there any other item that should be prioritized above the lack of plasma stun, teleport mechanics, camo disparity, and spawning action queue? Any list that is more than a handful of items for 343 is tldr and just noise.

Thank you 343 for your effort. We are passionate, dedicated fans of CE, and though we may be cut from a different cloth, we all just want this game to be around for our entire lifetime.
It would be great if the original Xbox version of Halo 1 were to be made backwards compatible with the Xbox One or if emulation was currently viable for LANs. That being said It would also be great if 343 were to fix the MCC version of Halo 1 and make it viable for competitive play.

The halobugs website has been around for a long time and certain people in the Halo 1 community that are knowledgeable about the various differences between the MCC version of Halo 1 and the original Xbox version of Halo 1 have talked with certain 343 employees. Certain people in the Halo 1 Hub discord that are knowledgeable about the various differences between the MCC version of Halo 1 and the original Xbox version of Halo 1 have made a priority bugs list for 343. Since then 343 has disabled the rocket launcher's autoaim (aka “bullet magnetism”) which was a bug on the priority bugs list so I give credit to 343 for doing that.
  • "Rocket Launcher autoaim (aka “bullet magnetism”) should be disabled, and the Rocket Launcher reticle should stay blue at all times. Player magnetism (aka “sticky aim”) is OK. The expected behavior is such that if you shoot a rocket right over a player’s shoulder, it should miss. In MCC CE, the rocket will curve down towards the enemy. A worse situation is when you are aiming at one enemy and there is another next to him – the rocket will often select the wrong target and veer off the intended path. This issue also changes encounters where low-ground player with a rocket launcher is aiming at a high-ground player over a ledge – once the rocket launcher is fired, the rocket will often curve down to the center of the player, thus falling short and hitting the ledge)"
343 by now should be well aware of all of the various differences between the MCC version of Halo 1 and the original Xbox version of Halo 1. 343 by now should be well aware of what changes are required in order to make the MCC version of Halo 1 competitively viable.

In order for 343 to make the MCC version of Halo 1 competitively viable for LAN play they will most likely have to implement the lockstep networking for LAN/system link on top of making all of the other crucial aspects of the game be 1:1 with the original Xbox version of Halo 1. Also Adding all of the features from Halo 1 NHE as toggle options for custom games and adding some of the community favoirte maps from Halo 1 NHE such as Downrush, Imminent, Exhibit, Outbound, and etc would be great. That being said advocating for 343 to implement all of the features from Halo 1 NHE into MCC and advocating for 343 to implement some of the community favorite maps from Halo 1 NHE into MCC might be asking for a little bit too much from 343.
It’s a tip about persuasion, not policing. It sucks metal was banned, so no sense in repeating his antics and loosing more voices.

343 will evaluate all feedback based on ROI, which is most likely impact on population. In the context of CE, I think the custom game browser, those community made maps, and in-game spawn points would pay the biggest dividends for population growth and longevity.

The gameplay bugs would be extremely welcome, especially the 4 mentioned earlier, but like it or not, most of the CE population won’t care, especially if the above gets delivered. You guys are a small fraction of the willing CE population. I really hope you can get emulation going or backwards compatibility support, because I don’t think MCC will ever float your boat.
TROPSTOP wrote:
343 has committed to continuing effort to fix things (even if it is years later) so we as a CE community should be rallying behind a crystal clear list of top priority items.
This is exactly what the threads cloud linked have told you, had you read them: 343 has committed to not fixing the game, after they promised to deliver a 1:1 version before launch. That's why my friend metal made the big reddit thread, and is no longer here as a result. Read it.

As far as rallying behind a bug list, when you and imscrubabl3 come here saying MCC IS PERFECT ALL WE NEED IS A CUSTOM BROWSER that is the exact opposite of rallying behind a bug list. It makes every single CE player think you are scrubs. That's the same -Yoink- Halo 5 players say. The bug list is always going to be incomplete because no one knows what all is wrong with the game.
TROPSTOP wrote:
343 will evaluate all feedback based on ROI, which is most likely impact on population. In the context of CE, I think the custom game browser, those community made maps, and in-game spawn points would pay the biggest dividends for population growth and longevity.
The changes which give the biggest increases in population growth are the changes that make the game competitively viable as cloud put it. There's an untapped DEDICATED pool of players who already play CE. The way to get them is to fix MCC, not add in things like new maps, which doesn't do anything to address issues important to those players.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
TROPSTOP wrote:
I know metal and crew are passionate and have put in many hours, but he constantly derailed any CE related thread and attacked and pushed an agenda drowning out any other point of view. Ultimately, he failed to create positive dialog. To me, CE is timeless and I hope it remains viable to play for another 20 years. I think the custom game browser is a must for this, and a way to host without a spartan and collect game stats would be killer for grassroots communities and niche tournaments.
I don't think that's fair. METAL was making the completely-valid point that MCC CE should be derived straight from original CE, not the Gearbox port. That point should have been a foregone certainty given the promises surrounding the MCC experience. There should never have been a need to debate it after the release of the game, because the MCC version should have been ported from the original version in the first place.
Wait, is someone disputing that the game should have never been based on the PC port? Wow.....Frankie said “Halo, just as you remembered it”. It’s been 5 years and we are still dealing with this inferior port. The game needs to be completely remade using the OG game. Then the gameplay needs to be tested online in various scenarios until it feels like LAN. Keep tweaking and testing until it’s acceptable by those that attend the beach lan. It’s 20 year old technology, and 343 is still struggling making this game correctly. What is the hold up?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2