Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo CE PC Port Issues Masterlist

OP Fl4ndersNed

Hello,

I have found a master list of most, if not all of the issues related to the PC port of Halo: Combat Evolved by Gearbox.

The list can be found here, along with several fixes that have been done by the community (as well as ideas on how to fix the ones they were unable to):

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloCERefined/comments/9lpk6m/port_issues_masterlist/

I believe this will be useful as both a reference to see what has been fixed/remains to be fixed, as well as a method of raising these issues with 343 themselves.

If there's any other issues with the PC port that haven't been mentioned (not its implementation in MCC, JUST the issues that arose from the port from Xbox Original -> PC), please post them here.
Thanks a ton for digging this up and sharing this here. I hope that 343 and the other developers working on MCC take a look at this and use it as a reference!
Another list of bugs from when MCC was released. Don't know if all of these have been fixed as I don't have an Xbone for a while.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2lpo4f/unfixed_halo_pc_bugs_and_problems_are_harming/
I feel like we should at least have the correct H1 audio/sounds at this point.
Community Provided HCE Bugs Prioritized by the Community
Below is a list of issues that have been provided to me by talking to the community. What this is, is a "we are aware" of these issues list. The community has communicated these specific bugs as the highest priority of issues. If there are additional bugs/views that players have - please feel free to talk about them. But for now what this is, is a community curated list of issues I have been using to represent the top issues coming from the HCE community.

I am very aware that this is NOT ALL bugs associated with HCE. This is not that kind of list. We are aware that there are many additional bugs that are not a part of this as they have been deemed lesser priority from the community. This is only a Top Priority list that I have been provided and has been vetted across a server of 450+ HCE specific players. Nothing more - nothing less.

The Pub Team is NOT committing to resolving these. I am simply stating here that I and they are aware of them.

• Shot registration consistency in matchmaking.
We have lots of complaints about playing against high-ping players, who can be very hard to hit yet they don’t seem to have the same problem landing shots. It’s as if the current lag compensation is benefitting players with high latency and/or lossy connections. Players with high ping and/or lossy connections should have a harder time landing shots, not vice-versa.

• Pistol and sniper feel too easy to use. Feels like “hitscan” rather than projectile-based.
Combined with questionable lag compensation model this can result in lower minimum TTK (aka time-to-kill) since certain players will have a peek advantage. Emphasis on “minimum” – the minimum TTK should not be lower than on the original version’s LAN (this should be your baseline). It’s understandable for the maximum TTK to be higher online in some cases, compared to LAN.
  • Slow-moving projectile weapons (Plasma Rifle, Plasma Pistol, Needler & Rocket Launcher) don’t seem to have their projectile and impact effects synced.
The projectile and impact effects play on the client and often don’t represent a “hit” or they don’t appear in the correct location. These visual “false-positives” lead to complaints about: rockets seeming like they aren’t effective, Plasma Rifle/Pistol stun not working, etc. And on the flip side: invisible explosions from needler/rocket launcher, needler projectiles that look like they are missing you but actually hit, etc.
  • Actions executed immediately before dying seem to queue up and are executed upon respawn.
Examples include: last-ditch melee attacks only registering after the survivor has walked away and the dead player respawns (aka “phantom melee”), last-ditch rocket firing animation plays but no projectile comes out (this actually also causes a desync in the rocket launcher’s ammo counter), last-ditch grenades never exploding and being thrown upon respawn (often accidentally damaging the player or teammate).
  • Player camo state desyncs.
This seems to occur when a player already has active camo and is standing over a new active camo waiting for the previous one to expire. Upon picking up the new active camo, sometimes the effect will be seen on the player’s client but not from other players’ perspectives.
  • Physics desyncs.
When an item (powerup, weapon, etc) is moved from its original location due to an explosion, there seems to be a disagreement between server and client about its final location.

For example, if a grenade is used to send the camo on Damnation down into the pit, in some cases the client will see the powerup in the pit but cannot pick it up, because on the server the powerup is still up on the rafter. This is likely down to netcode optimizations, but some kind of correction should be enforced to ensure that out-of-position powerups appear in the correct location on clients.
  • Minimum re-entry distance for teleporters is broken: in the original, when going through a two-way teleporter, the player needs to move away a certain distance before he can re-enter the teleporter.
As of the September patch, this behavior is broken and teleporters can be re-entered almost immediately. Also related: blocking a teleporter by standing on the exit is not always effective, often other players can be seen warping through and can even land melee attacks on the player blocking the exit. On maps where both teleporter entrance and exit can be seen from the same viewpoint, players can sometimes be seen warping in a straight line from teleporter entrance to exit, then spinning in place in the teleporter before exiting.
  • Rocket Launcher autoaim (aka “bullet magnetism”) should be disabled, and the Rocket Launcher reticle should stay blue at all times.
Player magnetism (aka “sticky aim”) is OK. The expected behavior is such that if you shoot a rocket right over a player’s shoulder, it should miss. In MCC CE, the rocket will curve down towards the enemy. A worse situation is when you are aiming at one enemy and there is another next to him – the rocket will often select the wrong target and veer off the intended path. This issue also changes encounters where low-ground player with a rocket launcher is aiming at a high-ground player over a ledge – once the rocket launcher is fired, the rocket will often curve down to the center of the player, thus falling short and hitting the ledge)

Cheers,
Postums
Postums wrote:
Community Provided HCE Bugs Prioritized by the CommunityBelow is a list of issues that have been provided to me by talking to the community. What this is, is a "we are aware" of these issues list. The community has communicated these specific bugs as the highest priority of issues. If there are additional bugs/views that players have - please feel free to talk about them. But for now what this is, is a community curated list of issues I have been using to represent the top issues coming from the HCE community.

I am very aware that this is NOT ALL bugs associated with HCE. This is not that kind of list. We are aware that there are many additional bugs that are not a part of this as they have been deemed lesser priority from the community. This is only a Top Priority list that I have been provided and has been vetted across a server of 450+ HCE specific players. Nothing more - nothing less.

The Pub Team is NOT committing to resolving these. I am simply stating here that I and they are aware of them.
We have lots of complaints about playing against high-ping players, who can be very hard to hit yet they don’t seem to have the same problem landing shots. It’s as if the current lag compensation is benefitting players with high latency and/or lossy connections. Players with high ping and/or lossy connections should have a harder time landing shots, not vice-versa.

• Pistol and sniper feel too easy to use. Feels like “hitscan” rather than projectile-based.
Combined with questionable lag compensation model this can result in lower minimum TTK (aka time-to-kill) since certain players will have a peek advantage. Emphasis on “minimum” – the minimum TTK should not be lower than on the original version’s LAN (this should be your baseline). It’s understandable for the maximum TTK to be higher online in some cases, compared to LAN.
  • Slow-moving projectile weapons (Plasma Rifle, Plasma Pistol, Needler & Rocket Launcher) don’t seem to have their projectile and impact effects synced.
The projectile and impact effects play on the client and often don’t represent a “hit” or they don’t appear in the correct location. These visual “false-positives” lead to complaints about: rockets seeming like they aren’t effective, Plasma Rifle/Pistol stun not working, etc. And on the flip side: invisible explosions from needler/rocket launcher, needler projectiles that look like they are missing you but actually hit, etc.
  • Actions executed immediately before dying seem to queue up and are executed upon respawn.
Examples include: last-ditch melee attacks only registering after the survivor has walked away and the dead player respawns (aka “phantom melee”), last-ditch rocket firing animation plays but no projectile comes out (this actually also causes a desync in the rocket launcher’s ammo counter), last-ditch grenades never exploding and being thrown upon respawn (often accidentally damaging the player or teammate).
This seems to occur when a player already has active camo and is standing over a new active camo waiting for the previous one to expire. Upon picking up the new active camo, sometimes the effect will be seen on the player’s client but not from other players’ perspectives.
  • Physics desyncs.
When an item (powerup, weapon, etc) is moved from its original location due to an explosion, there seems to be a disagreement between server and client about its final location.

For example, if a grenade is used to send the camo on Damnation down into the pit, in some cases the client will see the powerup in the pit but cannot pick it up, because on the server the powerup is still up on the rafter. This is likely down to netcode optimizations, but some kind of correction should be enforced to ensure that out-of-position powerups appear in the correct location on clients.
  • Minimum re-entry distance for teleporters is broken: in the original, when going through a two-way teleporter, the player needs to move away a certain distance before he can re-enter the teleporter.
As of the September patch, this behavior is broken and teleporters can be re-entered almost immediately. Also related: blocking a teleporter by standing on the exit is not always effective, often other players can be seen warping through and can even land melee attacks on the player blocking the exit. On maps where both teleporter entrance and exit can be seen from the same viewpoint, players can sometimes be seen warping in a straight line from teleporter entrance to exit, then spinning in place in the teleporter before exiting.
  • Rocket Launcher autoaim (aka “bullet magnetism”) should be disabled, and the Rocket Launcher reticle should stay blue at all times.
Player magnetism (aka “sticky aim”) is OK. The expected behavior is such that if you shoot a rocket right over a player’s shoulder, it should miss. In MCC CE, the rocket will curve down towards the enemy. A worse situation is when you are aiming at one enemy and there is another next to him – the rocket will often select the wrong target and veer off the intended path. This issue also changes encounters where low-ground player with a rocket launcher is aiming at a high-ground player over a ledge – once the rocket launcher is fired, the rocket will often curve down to the center of the player, thus falling short and hitting the ledge)

Cheers,
Postums
Good info!
Postums wrote:
Community Provided HCE Bugs Prioritized by the CommunityBelow is a list of issues that have been provided to me by talking to the community. What this is, is a "we are aware" of these issues list. The community has communicated these specific bugs as the highest priority of issues. If there are additional bugs/views that players have - please feel free to talk about them. But for now what this is, is a community curated list of issues I have been using to represent the top issues coming from the HCE community.

• Physics desyncs.

Cheers,
Postums
Thank you for posting this list!

Fixing these will go A LONG WAY in improving the CE experience. Thanks for pushing these.
I would love it if they restored all the fog from 343 Guilty Spark.
Seems that current fixes are focused on gameplay, which definately makes sense.
THIS thread is where all of you guys pushing the 4v4 list should be at. This is where many of the issues exist within CE. Your 4v4 list will always be broken unless the critical issues within the game get fixed. Postums addressed a few critical ones, but not all.
I just can't help but laugh at this list CE 2001 circa OG Xbox great game
CE REMASTERED 2019 gen 3 Xbox often buggy and broken game play
Thanks for posting this. It's good to inform more people about these issues.
Anyone ever noticed since the 2011 Combat Evolved game that voices during that campaign where low-toned or pitched on most occasions?