1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'm writing this because I would like to see the old gunfire sound effects make a return to Halo CEA. I think the old sound effects add a sense of nostalgia. The old sound design also helps gameplay especially in sniper matches. I think the new sound is too loud. For those who like the new sounds, I think there should be an option to choose what sound one would like to hear, just like one can choose what metals they want to see on screen.

What do you guys think. Would you like to hear the old classic sound from the original xbox days?

I know I do.

Lets hear about it, down below.

Edit: Based on many of everyone's comments, I think we can agree this issue needs to be handled like H2A. Thanks for your input everyone. I would like to hear more!

Also I would like to share this video and I think the evidence speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w
I'm writing this because I would like to see the old gunfire sound effects make a return to Halo CEA. I think the old sound effects add a sense of nostalgia. The old sound design also helps gameplay especially in sniper matches. I think the new sound is too loud. For those who like the new sounds, I think there should be an option to choose what sound one would like to hear, just like one can choose what metals they want to see on screen.

What do you guys think. Would you like to hear the old classic sound from the original xbox days?

I know I do.

343 is aware of the OG Sounds no word if they plan to add them in.
I think the team wrote a blog about the OG sounds in CE. Not sure if they specified they're trying to 'em bring back to MCC, and I don't know the link to the article. It'd be much appreciated if anyone can post the link to the MCC blog here.
Yep, the team is aware but it's not a simple job to get done
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-october-update
Quote:
OLD SCHOOL

More behind the scenes work continues with Halo 1. I don’t think it’s common knowledge, but for Halo 1 Anniversary (H1A), sounds and textures are all handled and stored in a system specific to the Saber3D engine. Unlike the original and PC title, H1A also uses a sound middleware library called FMOD. I bring all of this up as it relates to a few things people find interesting:

1. Classic sounds. Importing these require some Saber3D tools to be brought back to life. The engine is very different from the Halo engine so there’s a non-zero engineering tax for this work. It’s not as straight forward as A) copy the classic sounds B) press a button to rebuild sounds C) push out an update. If it was, we would have included it in the first update earlier this year.
I think their aware of this no need to worry.
Well, I hope they can bring em back at some point. It's not the end of the world or anything, its just something I would like to see one day. I understand Reach is a big deal and making fixes takes a while. Even so, perhaps one day we hear the game like it was in 2001.

Thanks for comments.

SCORPIO7188
I fully support bringing back OG HCE sounds. Not sure if you guys legitimately mean Halo 1 anniversary, but I'm specifically referring to the original Halo 1. The sounds are worth taking effort for, as most MCC CE sounds are objectively obnoxious.
I fully support bringing back OG HCE sounds. Not sure if you guys legitimately mean Halo 1 anniversary, but I'm specifically referring to the original Halo 1. The sounds are worth taking effort for, as most MCC CE sounds are objectively obnoxious.
Exactly, I think it should be handled like H2A, legacy graphics = legacy sound + music and anniversary graphics = anniversary sound + music. For the CE version in MCC you can choose the music but not the sound effects. Maybe one day.

Good discussion!
stckrboy wrote:
Quote:
OLD SCHOOLMore behind the scenes work continues with Halo 1. I don’t think it’s common knowledge, but for Halo 1 Anniversary (H1A), sounds and textures are all handled and stored in a system specific to the Saber3D engine. Unlike the original and PC title, H1A also uses a sound middleware library called FMOD. I bring all of this up as it relates to a few things people find interesting:

1. Classic sounds. Importing these require some Saber3D tools to be brought back to life. The engine is very different from the Halo engine so there’s a non-zero engineering tax for this work. It’s not as straight forward as A) copy the classic sounds B) press a button to rebuild sounds C) push out an update. If it was, we would have included it in the first update earlier this year.
I understand. This is just a suggestion that I would like to see happen one day. I am glad to know that the team is aware of this.
They have noted and are already working on it, it will take some time though. And it's supposed to be "all" the sounds, even the ones for the Flamethrower and Fuel Rod Gun on the PC.
Being able to revert back to original sound effect would be very welcome. The new sounds are rather well done but extremely loud and while I wont argue if that's as it would be in a real life scenario, it's just too loud for me having the new assault rifle blaring in my ear. I can turn the overall tv volume down of course but then that turns everything else down which is criminal considering how great the music is. Even an option perhaps to alter the sound individually but I'd think it easier just to give us the original sounds to begin with

Even better would be if the original xbox Halo via backward compatibility were made available because right now of course we're still playing the pc port which still has a couple issues anyway. I bought Halo bc for 360 and I'd eager to play it again on xbox one
They have noted and are already working on it, it will take some time though. And it's supposed to be "all" the sounds, even the ones for the Flamethrower and Fuel Rod Gun on the PC.
One thing I do like on the older sounds was the melee hit noise. It sounded so cheesy and funny at the same time. That slap and smack noise, lol.
Being able to revert back to original sound effect would be very welcome. The new sounds are rather well done but extremely loud and while I wont argue if that's as it would be in a real life scenario, it's just too loud for me having the new assault rifle blaring in my ear. I can turn the overall tv volume down of course but then that turns everything else down which is criminal considering how great the music is. Even an option perhaps to alter the sound individually but I'd think it easier just to give us the original sounds to begin with

Even better would be if the original xbox Halo via backward compatibility were made available because right now of course we're still playing the pc port which still has a couple issues anyway. I bought Halo bc for 360 and I'd eager to play it again on xbox one
Well said. I sure hope they bring em back one day. I like the old melee sound in the old games. It always made me laugh.
One thing I do like on the older sounds was the melee hit noise. It sounded so cheesy and funny at the same time. That slap and smack noise, lol.
I like them all. Halo: Combat Evolved isn't Halo: Combat Evolved without them. I'm just glad that the original sounds and music were still there for Halo 2 classic campaign and multiplayer when MCC came out in 2014. Apparently the volume is not as equally loud as the anniversary sounds and music in it's campaign. 343 is aware of this too since everyone has been pointing it out.
stckrboy wrote:
Quote:
OLD SCHOOLMore behind the scenes work continues with Halo 1. I don’t think it’s common knowledge, but for Halo 1 Anniversary (H1A), sounds and textures are all handled and stored in a system specific to the Saber3D engine. Unlike the original and PC title, H1A also uses a sound middleware library called FMOD. I bring all of this up as it relates to a few things people find interesting:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I like them all. Halo: Combat Evolved isn't Halo: Combat Evolved without them. I'm just glad that the original sounds and music were still there for Halo 2 classic campaign and multiplayer when MCC came out in 2014. Apparently the volume is not as equally loud as the anniversary sounds and music in it's campaign. 343 is aware of this too since everyone has been pointing it out.
I am glad to know that I am not the only one. I thought I was alone with this observation. Good to know there are many people who think the same way in that we want the old sounds back.

I know I do.

That's a pretty good idea I thought about before when Halo CEA first released. For Halo 2A, you could switch up the graphics with the music and sound effects at the same time. My only guess for why the MCC version of Halo CEA doesn't let you do this is because 343 just decided to port Halo CEA without adding any new features, like the one you said. The only difference I can find between the original and MCC version is the change in frame rate. I don't see why 343 couldn't add in the original Halo CE sound effects. It would make a nice feature.
Exactly, I think it should be handled like H2A, legacy graphics = legacy sound + music and anniversary graphics = anniversary sound + music. For the CE version in MCC you can choose the music but not the sound effects. Maybe one day.

Good discussion!
Absolutely agree with your point there.

I know I do.

That's a pretty good idea I thought about before when Halo CEA first released. For Halo 2A, you could switch up the graphics with the music and sound effects at the same time. My only guess for why the MCC version of Halo CEA doesn't let you do this is because 343 just decided to port Halo CEA without adding any new features, like the one you said. The only difference I can find between the original and MCC version is the change in frame rate. I don't see why 343 couldn't add in the original Halo CE sound effects. It would make a nice feature.
Thanks for commenting and I agree. I was hoping when they added the original Multiplayer back into the Halo CEA in the MCC, they would incorporate the old gunfire sound in the multiplayer. For example, it is like I stated before, when I play multiplayer snipers in Halo CEA, I think the new sniper sound is cool, the problem is that it is too loud for the multiplayer. The new sounds need to be restructured like in Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign. I old sound is what we had in 2001, and it would make the MCC more complete. For Halo CEA Xbox 360 and MCC versions, 343 gave us the old music but not the gunfire, melee, and explosion sound. I think they can add it one day.
Halo CEA needs to be changed so that the classic sounds play with the classic graphics while the Anniversary sounds play with the Anniversary graphics. I miss that satisfying tap-tap-tap of running on ice on Assault on the Control Room or the alien stirrings of the Covenant's original transmitter nodes that featured on the original Xbox version of the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2