Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo MCC LAN Network Tutorial **2020 UPDATE**

OP LarsBars

Hey folks,

A few years back, I made a tutorial video to coincide with the initial release of the big Halo MCC update that added the LAN feature. I remember reading the original Halo Waypoint post with the IP address requirements for LAN and thinking that the kid version of me would not have understood those requirements, so I created a quick video to guide people through the static IP address process. The video was a hit and there were a lot of people who commented that they were able to have a successful LAN because of that video, which warmed my heart.

But it has been a few years, and I realized that while it's nice to have the option in my video, it's just about the worst way to do a Halo: MCC LAN. I realized that people might mistakenly think that my older tutorial is the only way to get Halo MCC LAN to work, which is completely untrue. The best way to do a Halo: MCC LAN is to simply use a wireless router.

So I have made an updated video, explaining why the average home wireless router is the easiest and best way to connect Xboxes when having a Halo: MCC LAN party. (Yes, I realize the irony of me making a "How to LAN" video in the middle of 2020 - but this is when I found the time to do it! And hopefully the video will live on longer than the coronavirus.)

Without further ado, here's the new updated video: Halo MCC "System Link" LAN Network Tutorial 2020 UPDATE

In the video, I go into three network configurations for doing LAN with Halo MCC:
  • Preferred method: Connect all Xboxes to a wireless router that has internet.
  • Alternate method: Connect all Xboxes to a wireless router that does not have internet (nothing plugged in to the WAN port.)
  • Not recommended method: Connect two consoles directly with an ethernet cord, or connect more than 2 consoles directly using an Ethernet switch. This is not recommended because the IP addresses will need to be manually assigned.
Things to watch out for when using the alternate method:
  1. Make sure all installations of Halo: MCC are updated. Different builds/versions will likely not be able to join the same LAN games together.
  2. Make sure that people who own Halo: MCC digitally are using their home Xbox, so the game can launch while the consoles are offline. If someone owns Halo: MCC digitally, but is using an Xbox other than their home Xbox, the game requires internet connectivity when it is first launching.
Let me know if you have any questions on this!
Ey! Much appreciated. System Link LAN parties are a rare thing for me, but they're always special, and almost always a pain to set up if you don't know what you're doing. I'll be sure to find my way back to this by the next time I have one.
Ey! Much appreciated. System Link LAN parties are a rare thing for me, but they're always special, and almost always a pain to set up if you don't know what you're doing. I'll be sure to find my way back to this by the next time I have one.
Cheers! Tons of pointers for LAN in my age-old thread (best not to comment as I know they don't like resurrecting old posts) Thoughts and Tips from a 16-player Halo MCC LAN
I'm late to this thread, but why do the IP addresses need to be manually assigned in the "not recommended" configuration? Can you not just uplink the switch to your router with an ethernet cable and the IP addresses are assigned by DHCP from the router, same way it would from the wireless??