Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo MCC "System Link" LAN setup tutorial video

OP LarsBars

Hey everyone,

I have seen a couple of posts on the forums where people are asking how to set the network settings when they connect two consoles together directly with an ethernet cable, like we used to do in the Xbox and Xbox 360 days.

Since Halo MCC's new LAN feature works a little bit differently, and requires each Xbox One console to have a valid IP address, I thought I would make a quick tutorial about how to manually assign IP addresses, with a specific focus around connecting two consoles together directly to play Halo on LAN. Connecting two Xboxes together is how I first began experiencing networking with the first Halo on the original Xbox, so I wanted to make a guide to walk people through the network settings for this.

Here is the link to the video:
Halo MCC "System Link" LAN tutorial (Direct connect two consoles with ethernet)

Here are the settings for both of the consoles that I use in the video:

First Xbox One:
IPv4 Address: 111.111.111.111
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 1.1.1.1
Primary DNS: Not used - skip with the menu button
Secondary DNS: Not used - skip with the menu button

Second Xbox One:
IPv4 Address: 111.111.111.112
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 1.1.1.1
Primary DNS: Not used - skip with the menu button
Secondary DNS: Not used - skip with the menu button

If you have a network switch and are connecting more than two Xbox One consoles, and using manual IP addresses using the method in the video, you can change the last octet to .113, .114, .115, etc. to give each console on the network a unique IP address. However, if you are using multiple Xboxes, this process does not scale well (it gets very annoying to have to set these settings over and over again) so I highly recommend picking up a cheap used router from a second-hand store and connecting that to the network, so that consoles can be automatically assigned IP addresses by the router's DHCP functionality.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Hey I got lan play between 2 xboxs working thank you man
Darkzero45 wrote:
Hey I got lan play between 2 xboxs working thank you man
Awesome, glad to hear that! Remember to set the network settings back to "automatic" when you are done!
Hello. Has anyone tried MCC LAN after the Reach update with this method? Does it work still? I'm doing a completely offline LAN in a few weeks and don't want to have a bad surprise. :P

Thanks in advance!