Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Halo MCC: What Happened, and What Happens Next.

OP Frankie

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
I greatly appreciate the open discussion and honesty. It's awesome that you are standing by your game and trying to do right by your fans. To this day I still come back to MCC. Gives me great hope and enthusiasm for the future. Proud to be a part of this community.
I too appreciate the transparency and candid feedback. The behind the scenes summary was very enlightening and as someone also in the world of software development I can appreciate a lot of the pitfalls you spoke about.

I’m one of the folks that completed all the achievements in this game and put about 800 hours in along the way and I would be happy to be part of a flighting program as well.
To me this ship is long gone...
I mean, I still want to play Halo 2 all the time but honestly, for the MCC release I got a new TV, the xb1, the game itself and got a gold subscription. My love for this game is so big that I am legitimately not interested in any other game.
Now I think it has been 2 years without a gold account, I do not own an Xbox anymore and I don't depend on my parents' money anymore , witch is great but it also means that I cannot give myself the privilege of getting all of those things again.

However I come to the forums from time to time, hoping h2 finally gets what it deserves.

I won't lie to you Frank, just like you learned that you have to test everything, I think I can say the same for me. This means that until I see this update actually working, I have no reason to believe. Because I honestly don't believe that you can make h2 "exactly as it shipped 10(13) years ago"
Please prove me I'm wrong.
Can we have a 3v3 or 4v4 Halo CE playlist, please? Thanks.
Gonna be honest, after that Fiasco with the MCC and my complete frustration with Halo 5 was turning out to be, I pretty much kind of abandoned Halo out of sheer heart braking and it was just hard to cope with how it was all falling apart. Made me honestly loose a lot of hope.

Frank, thanks for actually saying stuff about what the heck was going on behind the scenes. Long over due but thanks for finally speaking up. Seeing as you guys are finally going to give MCC another go at fixing it gives me that long awaited joy I been needing from Halo. Please do everything you can to make sure this collection will be able to properly work and have the experience be a pleasant joy to play again. For not only the communities sake, but also for the sake of 343. Please...don't botch this up for us. Not after everything we went through.
TGI LeCheS wrote:
To me this ship is long gone...
I mean, I still want to play Halo 2 all the time but honestly, for the MCC release I got a new TV, the xb1, the game itself and got a gold subscription. My love for this game is so big that I am legitimately not interested in any other game.
Now I think it has been 2 years without a gold account, I do not own an Xbox anymore and I don't depend on my parents' money anymore , witch is great but it also means that I cannot give myself the privilege of getting all of those things again.

However I come to the forums from time to time, hoping h2 finally gets what it deserves.

I won't lie to you Frank, just like you learned that you have to test everything, I think I can say the same for me. This means that until I see this update actually working, I have no reason to believe. Because I honestly don't believe that you can make h2 "exactly as it shipped 10(13) years ago"
Please prove me I'm wrong.
Gonna be honest, after that Fiasco with the MCC and my complete frustration with Halo 5 was turning out to be, I pretty much kind of abandoned Halo out of sheer heart braking and it was just hard to cope with how it was all falling apart. Made me honestly loose a lot of hope.

Frank, thanks for actually saying stuff about what the heck was going on behind the scenes. Long over due but thanks for finally speaking up. Seeing as you guys are finally going to give MCC another go at fixing it gives me that long awaited joy I been needing from Halo. Please do everything you can to make sure this collection will be able to properly work and have the experience be a pleasant joy to play again. For not only the communities sake, but also for the sake of 343. Please...don't botch this up for us. Not after everything we went through.
Oh ye of little faith.
"Were it so easy."
Jokes aside, I really understand your thoughts here. Makes sense. But 343 genuinely makes it feel like they're going to make it right. Will it be a perfectly working game? Maybe...maybe not. No game ever is made like that. However if they do actually bomb it again....then we do have such little faith.
I really appreciate this but can you guys be more communicative to us as the consumers and fans? There was always plenty of talk on updates for halo 5, please do the same for MCC and not let us out in the dark... again.
As someone who still actively plays MCC, and it works for me the majority of the time, please do not mess up the achievement progress! I have already had them reset before and it's extremely frustrating with a game that is so vast to have your progress reset.

My suggestions would be to change any of the matchmaking only achievements to be achievable via Custom games and to change up some of the matchmaking playlists to remove ones that aren't as played and expand on the mix of gametypes and games in the existing playlists, as some of the playlists are clearly more populated than others, but I'd love to see more variety in the games/gametypes available in the more populated game playlists.
Glad to see MCC is receiving the attention and respect it should have always had. Hopefully this will work out in the end. Just do not, DO NOT, reset the skill ranks in multiplayer. I put so much time and effort in obtaining those ranks and I do not want them to go to waste.
What a fantastic post to see! The only issues I have anymore have to do with ranking system.

1. People still cheating to 50 simply ruins the skill portion of the game

2. Unbalanced levels in matchmaking.

If you fix these 2 things you wouldn't even have to reset ranks because the fake 50s would quickly get knocked down to their actual levels if they were getting matched with players who truly had enough skill to get a 50 in matchmaking. Just those 2 portions of mm are the most broken parts of the game imo.

Thanks so much for coming back to this game!
Matreid wrote:
As someone who still actively plays MCC, and it works for me the majority of the time, please do not mess up the achievement progress! I have already had them reset before and it's extremely frustrating with a game that is so vast to have your progress reset.

My suggestions would be to change any of the matchmaking only achievements to be achievable via Custom games and to change up some of the matchmaking playlists to remove ones that aren't as played and expand on the mix of gametypes and games in the existing playlists, as some of the playlists are clearly more populated than others, but I'd love to see more variety in the games/gametypes available in the more populated game playlists.
I definitely would echo the no achievement progress reset point. That was the single worst mistake made in MCC for achievement afficiandios as some of those multiplayer medals are extremely time consuming to grind out.
THIS IS THE BEST NEWS!

Thank you, Frank! I'm very excited to hear about your and 343's commitment to giving MCC a future. Expanding MCC to XB1X is definitely of value to fans like me who have enjoyed a long history with the franchise.
Frankie, I am glad 343 are switching to becoming a more transparent company with consumers.

A little communication goes a long way, even small communication which helps explain what you are intending to do rather than "we are aware" helps to boost our confidence.

I do think that creating MCC with 4 Halo games with six different game engines is a monumental task so I think despite 343's talent, there was still a considerable possibility that something could go wrong.

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with MCC. I am curious from a technical standpoint to see if any of the Halo 2 Anniversary related issues stem from it being built from Halo 2 Vista as a base as I am all too aware of that ports issues.

Please remain transparent throughout this process and with future Halo projects, I am sure that together - 343 Industries and us the community, we can help to forge a better future.

Good luck Frankie, good luck 343 Industries. I look forward to the results.
Enjoying reading all the positive feedback. Keep it up
I'm very glad MCC is finally being addressed again, and I appreciate the honesty. 343 has broken a lot of my trust the past few years, but fixing MCC and being more transparent with the process would do a lot to repair that. Despite its flaws, MCC is one of my favorite games of all time.

I hope that as well as fixing the technical issues, the matchmaking playlists will also receive an overhaul. Like others have said here, the return of a 4v4 CE playlist would be most welcome. I also wouldn't mind the addition of an objective playlist. But my biggest problem with MCC's playlists is that many of the cross game playlists' voting options inherently favor Halo 3, especially in BTB, where HCE/H4 options and H2/H2A options get swapped out with each other, but 3 remains a constant. This, coupled with the large amount of people who favor H3, can make cross game playlists frustrating for fans of HCE and H2. Many people would like the removal of cross game playlists, and while I don't entirely agree with that, the current state of cross game playlists could use mending.
I myself think this is long overdue but better late than never as they say. I'm not asking for perfection but just a huge improvement to the mcc, get that done and you'll really get a lot of faith back. I also understand the scale of the collection, you don't see 4.5 games in one together very often and I think that's cause devs know their limitations. I've also said in the past that's it's great you guys wanted to give us this but I think you got a little to ambitious on it, in short you bit off more than you could chew.

not to be a Debbie downer here but I'll be realistic. The halo player base IS split. You have people that don't want to play the newer games and you have people who wil only play the older games. The reason why mcc got hit so hard is cause that is what could've benefited those who won't play the newer games. I mean CE had no multiplayer before and H2 was shutdown before the mcc was a thing. Then you had halo 3 which had such a small pop. In comes the mcc and you see people get hyped up for it, many getting to relive their childhood, some getting to try these games for the first time ever and some that simply can only tolerate those games. So the mcc had such high expectations from the start that when it bombed it really hurt those who were into it. I think if you really improve the mcc you'll get a good portion of those people back and at least you'll have something for those who won't play your newer games. My issue was "go play the mcc if you don't like halo 4/5" when sorry to say, they are a broken mess right now. It's actually insulting to me when people say that,
How much marketing/publicity will go into bringing attention to these upcoming updates? Because apart from fixing the game itself, the community/population needs to be fixed as well.
I myself think this is long overdue but better late than never as they say. I'm not asking for perfection but just a huge improvement to the mcc, get that done and you'll really get a lot of faith back. I also understand the scale of the collection, you don't see 4.5 games in one together very often and I think that's cause devs know their limitations. I've also said in the past that's it's great you guys wanted to give us this but I think you got a little to ambitious on it, in short you bit off more than you could chew.

not to be a Debbie downer here but I'll be realistic. The halo player base IS split. You have people that don't want to play the newer games and you have people who wil only play the older games. The reason why mcc got hit so hard is cause that is what could've benefited those who won't play the newer games. I mean CE had no multiplayer before and H2 was shutdown before the mcc was a thing. Then you had halo 3 which had such a small pop. In comes the mcc and you see people get hyped up for it, many getting to relive their childhood, some getting to try these games for the first time ever and some that simply can only tolerate those games. So the mcc had such high expectations from the start that when it bombed it really hurt those who were into it. I think if you really improve the mcc you'll get a good portion of those people back and at least you'll have something for those who won't play your newer games. My issue was "go play the mcc if you don't like halo 4/5" when sorry to say, they are a broken mess right now. It's actually insulting to me when people say that,
Halo CE did have online multiplayer with the PC version, it was the first Halo game to ever have online multiplayer, even before Halo 2. Granted, it was only on PC so I wouldn't be surprised if some here never experienced online Halo CE multiplayer and the MCC could have been a good way to do it when MCC is fixed.

Halo CE did have online multiplayer with the PC version, it was the first Halo game to ever have online multiplayer, even before Halo 2. Granted, it was only on PC so I wouldn't be surprised if some here never experienced online Halo CE multiplayer and the MCC could have been a good way to do it when MCC is fixed.
Most won't have played CE online as it was pretty much Xbox exclusive. H2 is where the real online push was for console users. Part of the mccs issue is using pc ports, it's something I'd like them to also fix on as it's entirely different playing a pc version when you're used to console.

Most won't have played CE online as it was pretty much Xbox exclusive. H2 is where the real online push was for console users. Part of the mccs issue is using pc ports, it's something I'd like them to also fix on as it's entirely different playing a pc version when you're used to console.
I'm not expecting many to have played it online to be fair although Halo PC was surprisingly popular (and a lot of fun!). I agree with you about the PC ports, though, I don't think CEA using the PC engine is bad since the PC version was a very good port of CE anyway. The change from 30fps to 60fps may have thrown some people off as naturally, that would make the game feel different from the 30fps original.

That said, Halo 2 Anniversary uses Halo 2 Vista (PC) as a base and, I'm not sure if you ever played it, but that version of Halo 2 was a colossal failure due to a large number of bugs and glitches. The game also had some very odd changes from the Xbox version and does feel different. For example, the FOV is actually lower than the Xbox version, a trait i believe H2A has inherited as a result. In fact, Shock120 and some other modders managed to get online co-op working in the PC version and some of the crashes that H2A experiences in co-op on the MC levels (people mention Delta Halo alot) are very similar to issues experienced when trying to start a co-op game on the same level with the mod. Another bug that H2A likely inherited is the Gravemind level crashing as Halo 2 PC is infamous for having issues with this level as well.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11