1. The DMR is the best starting weapon for defending yourself, and asking for AR starts is like asking for a free beating from the the good players that will pick up DMR's anyway while you spawn with useless trash. Don't be that scrub. (Citation: Default H2 and H3 with the same exact problems.)

2. Default Reach was, and always will be, broken trash. TU being mostly universal should have been the the default back when it was introduced, and deserves it's default status now. The half measures 343 took then shouldn't define the game now. Let the trash settings die and move on.

3. Managing Bloom isn't a skill. When someone spamming shots can cancel out your "skillful" pacing by killing you faster, that's a problem, and the exact reason why it was removed from the actual skill based settings (V7). It's at best a speed bump for actual skill, and the less it appears, the better.

4. Developers are just as capable of -Yoink- decision making as you are, and acting like a precedent they set in the past (ie, AR/SMG starts) is the end all be all when objectively better approaches exist through years of refinement is just ignorant. Games deserve refinement, no matter their age. The idea of playing the nostalgia card just cause that's "how you remember it" is also ignorant.

Thanks, and have a good night.
1. I personally like that the precision weapon is typically the starting and go-to weapon. Honestly AR starting games feel painfully slow and boring. It's just people landing a few shots and finishing with a melee.

2(3). I agree 100%. Bloom should absolutely be removed. Spamming shots at someone's groin is the method I found best to make it seem less existent and I end up killing someone with a headshot. The needle rifle feels like the best gun in the game because it has no bloom and the DMR should be updated to be the same way.
1. AR/Pistol starts are fine, as Pistols are good at mid range and work fine on most maps.

2. No.

3. The issue is reduced bloom makes some guns into power weapons, that aren't power weapons. The game was designed around bloom existing.

Is it a great solution, not really; but reducing it turns weapons like the needle rifle into a laser rifle that rivals post actual power weapons in terms of importance in getting one and that breaks both game types, maps, and the play experience.

4. Refinement is fine, but building off a broken base motivated not by balance but by a vocal minority fan demand isn't a refinement.

Should something be done about most of the things 343 changed, Sure. But the best thing to do is buffs, not nerfs. Fighting game developers and MOBA developers learned this lesson a long time ago, it's about time Halo learned it to rather than repeating the mistakes of the past.
So thought the guy had a problem taking pills? This isn't about giving medical advice? xD :P lol jk… I honestly don't know what to say on these forums anymore. To many people are upset about how reach is. And im sure dev's still trying to think of a best way to tackle everything that being ask or demanded on here. Though I feel much of what the players want may not come in there favor.
Vyctorian wrote:
1. AR/Pistol starts are fine, as Pistols are good at mid range and work fine on most maps.

2. No.

3. The issue is reduced bloom makes some guns into power weapons, that aren't power weapons. The game was designed around bloom existing.

Is it a great solution, not really; but reducing it turns weapons like the needle rifle into a laser rifle that rivals post actual power weapons in terms of importance in getting one and that breaks both game types, maps, and the play experience.

4. Refinement is fine, but building off a broken base motivated not by balance but by a vocal minority fan demand isn't a refinement.

Should something be done about most of the things 343 changed, Sure. But the best thing to do is buffs, not nerfs. Fighting game developers and MOBA developers learned this lesson a long time ago, it's about time Halo learned it to rather than repeating the mistakes of the past.
1.) No it isn't and no it doesn't. The base spread on top of bloom combined with the shallow magazine make ill suited to being a starting weapon.
2.) Adapt
3.)Even removing bloom entirely doesn't make any of the weapons affected by it "power weapons," their molasses slow minimum TTK sees to that. Once the damage values for the NR and Magnum were adjusted for no bleedthrough, the weapon balance of Reach, for better or worse, remains intact. At least in TU the Needle Rifle gains some value outside of being a pink DMR, but its slow TTK keeps it from being a problem.
4.) The extensive internal and external testing of the the TU is not something a company does for a "vocal minority." Armor Lock and Camo are the only things you could really claim were nerfed in any capacity so please tell me you are going to buff other parts of the sandbox to deal with invincibility and invisibility respectively? Having a "no nerf" policy sounds nice on paper but not feasible in practice.
Vyctorian wrote:
1. AR/Pistol starts are fine, as Pistols are good at mid range and work fine on most maps.

2. No.

3. The issue is reduced bloom makes some guns into power weapons, that aren't power weapons. The game was designed around bloom existing.

Is it a great solution, not really; but reducing it turns weapons like the needle rifle into a laser rifle that rivals post actual power weapons in terms of importance in getting one and that breaks both game types, maps, and the play experience.

4. Refinement is fine, but building off a broken base motivated not by balance but by a vocal minority fan demand isn't a refinement.

Should something be done about most of the things 343 changed, Sure. But the best thing to do is buffs, not nerfs. Fighting game developers and MOBA developers learned this lesson a long time ago, it's about time Halo learned it to rather than repeating the mistakes of the past.
1. No they're not.
2.Yes, deal with it.
3. The issue with bloom is that it shouldn't have existed, and weapons becoming null and void without it artificially increasing their importance shouldn't have been made.
4. "Vocal minority" isn't the same as being wrong.
<p></p>
Quote:
1. AR/Pistol starts are fine, as Pistols are good at mid range and work fine on most maps.
The DMR / Needle Rifle are too much stronger than the pistol for AR/Pistol starts to work. If you lose control of the map once the game is pretty much over because you can't do anything against anyone with a power weapon with only a pistol or AR. The AR Is also completely useless on base settings and still not that good on TU settings.
Quote:
3. The issue is reduced bloom makes some guns into power weapons, that aren't power weapons. The game was designed around bloom existing.

Is it a great solution, not really; but reducing it turns weapons like the needle rifle into a laser rifle that rivals post actual power weapons in terms of importance in getting one and that breaks both game types, maps, and the play experience.

The power weapons in Reach are already absurdly strong even with reduced or no bloom. Rockets don't have to hit anywhere near your target to kill them, Shotgun kills from a huge distance, sprint + sword is almost unstoppable, the GL is incredibly strong in the hands of a good player, and the Sniper is always strong. The DMR doesn't come close to any of those weapons, but at least with reduced bloom you have a chance of killing them quickly if they misplay.
Solursus wrote:
1. The DMR is the best starting weapon for defending yourself, and asking for AR starts is like asking for a free beating from the the good players that will pick up DMR's anyway while you spawn with useless trash. Don't be that scrub. (Citation: Default H2 and H3 with the same exact problems.)

2. Default Reach was, and always will be, broken trash. TU being mostly universal should have been the the default back when it was introduced, and deserves it's default status now. The half measures 343 took then shouldn't define the game now. Let the trash settings die and move on.

3. Managing Bloom isn't a skill. When someone spamming shots can cancel out your "skillful" pacing by killing you faster, that's a problem, and the exact reason why it was removed from the actual skill based settings (V7). It's at best a speed bump for actual skill, and the less it appears, the better.

4. Developers are just as capable of -Yoink- decision making as you are, and acting like a precedent they set in the past (ie, AR/SMG starts) is the end all be all when objectively better approaches exist through years of refinement is just ignorant. Games deserve refinement, no matter their age. The idea of playing the nostalgia card just cause that's "how you remember it" is also ignorant.

Thanks, and have a good night.
1. I agree that DMR starts are best.

2. TU settings are still trash, bloom should not exist at all. That is why (V7) settings are best.

3. You may call it spamming but, once someone becomes really good at the game they can shoot at max speed without missing a shot.

4. If they were to have us play Reach "how you remember it" I think they would have gone all the way. As in the credit system and map voting.
I concur 100% with you OP. However you have to realize that the lower level, bottom of the barrel skilled players will never see it that way.
I concur 100% with you OP. However you have to realize that the lower level, bottom of the barrel skilled players will never see it that way.
I consistently get top 3 or top 1 on the scoreboard and I think there should be AR/pistol starts. Making your argument as "You don't agree with me because you're bad" is a terrible one.
I concur 100% with you OP. However you have to realize that the lower level, bottom of the barrel skilled players will never see it that way.
I consistently get top 3 or top 1 on the scoreboard and I think there should be AR/pistol starts. Making your argument as "You don't agree with me because you're bad" is a terrible one.
There's a reason why AR/pistol starts and low skill players go hand in hand.
THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Some didn't play high level Halo 2 and Halo 3 and hated having smg start for Halo 2 and ar starts in Halo 3
Solursus wrote:
1. The DMR is the best starting weapon for defending yourself, and asking for AR starts is like asking for a free beating from the the good players that will pick up DMR's anyway while you spawn with useless trash. Don't be that scrub. (Citation: Default H2 and H3 with the same exact problems.)

2. Default Reach was, and always will be, broken trash. TU being mostly universal should have been the the default back when it was introduced, and deserves it's default status now. The half measures 343 took then shouldn't define the game now. Let the trash settings die and move on.

3. Managing Bloom isn't a skill. When someone spamming shots can cancel out your "skillful" pacing by killing you faster, that's a problem, and the exact reason why it was removed from the actual skill based settings (V7). It's at best a speed bump for actual skill, and the less it appears, the better.

4. Developers are just as capable of -Yoink- decision making as you are, and acting like a precedent they set in the past (ie, AR/SMG starts) is the end all be all when objectively better approaches exist through years of refinement is just ignorant. Games deserve refinement, no matter their age. The idea of playing the nostalgia card just cause that's "how you remember it" is also ignorant.

Thanks, and have a good night.
1- starting with the DMR skips any of the part of the game where you need to use your actual brain and find a weapon better than the AR. Consequently it also turns the game into COD in space. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, if you remove bloom and add Bleedthrough then it’s REALLY CoD in Space.

2- the TU was and always will be, total trash. Making it universal back then and making it universal in the MCC wouldve been and is a slap in the face to the fans of that game as opposed to fans of strictly Halo 1-3 multiplayer. The point of Reach was to be a different game. It was a spin-off, one shot prequel. Not a mainline Halo. It worked differently because it was different and about half the community just couldn’t bring themselves to quit being babies and learn the game, so instead they whined about it until the devs decided to crap on their own work.

3-spamming the DMR to cheat bloom only works in close quarters. That’s how recoil works in any shooter. If you think bloom management at the DMRs intended range wasn’t a skill, then you we’re probably just mad you weren’t that good at the game. It’s not a battle rifle that you can mindlessly spam and point at the head and get the kill at any range as long as you saw the other dude first. It works differently at different ranges 😱 what a concept

4-it’s completely subjective whether DMRs is a better start or not. Spoiler alert, its not. But that’s subjective. Most of the players I’ve ever met or played with hate DMR starts and hate the TU settings and especially hate the combination of only ever playing DMR starts WITH TU settings. This MCC launch is a huge disappointment to anybody who actually was a fan of Reach as a stand-alone. If you want games with no bloom, Bleedthrough, no sword block, limited abilities and constant BR or DMR starts, go play one of the other 4 freaking games that already work that way.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Jim Jam 94 wrote:
Solursus wrote:
1. The DMR is the best starting weapon for defending yourself, and asking for AR starts is like asking for a free beating from the the good players that will pick up DMR's anyway while you spawn with useless trash. Don't be that scrub. (Citation: Default H2 and H3 with the same exact problems.)

2. Default Reach was, and always will be, broken trash. TU being mostly universal should have been the the default back when it was introduced, and deserves it's default status now. The half measures 343 took then shouldn't define the game now. Let the trash settings die and move on.

3. Managing Bloom isn't a skill. When someone spamming shots can cancel out your "skillful" pacing by killing you faster, that's a problem, and the exact reason why it was removed from the actual skill based settings (V7). It's at best a speed bump for actual skill, and the less it appears, the better.

4. Developers are just as capable of -Yoink- decision making as you are, and acting like a precedent they set in the past (ie, AR/SMG starts) is the end all be all when objectively better approaches exist through years of refinement is just ignorant. Games deserve refinement, no matter their age. The idea of playing the nostalgia card just cause that's "how you remember it" is also ignorant.

Thanks, and have a good night.
1- starting with the DMR skips any of the part of the game where you need to use your actual brain and find a weapon better than the AR. Consequently it also turns the game into COD in space. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, if you remove bloom and add Bleedthrough then it’s REALLY CoD in Space.

2- the TU was and always will be, total trash. Making it universal back then and making it universal in the MCC wouldve been and is a slap in the face to the fans of that game as opposed to fans of strictly Halo 1-3 multiplayer. The point of Reach was to be a different game. It was a spin-off, one shot prequel. Not a mainline Halo. It worked differently because it was different and about half the community just couldn’t bring themselves to quit being babies and learn the game, so instead they whined about it until the devs decided to crap on their own work.

3-spamming the DMR to cheat bloom only works in close quarters. That’s how recoil works in any shooter. If you think bloom management at the DMRs intended range wasn’t a skill, then you we’re probably just mad you weren’t that good at the game. It’s not a battle rifle that you can mindlessly spam and point at the head and get the kill at any range as long as you saw the other dude first. It works differently at different ranges 😱 what a concept

4-it’s completely subjective whether DMRs is a better start or not. Spoiler alert, its not. But that’s subjective. Most of the players I’ve ever met or played with hate DMR starts and hate the TU settings and especially hate the combination of only ever playing DMR starts WITH TU settings. This MCC launch is a huge disappointment to anybody who actually was a fan of Reach as a stand-alone. If you want games with no bloom, Bleedthrough, no sword block, limited abilities and constant BR or DMR starts, go play one of the other 4 freaking games that already work that way.
According to your Halo tracker you have a K/D of 1.19 on team slayer and your most used weapons are melee and the assault rifle and you have more deaths to the DMR than you do kills with the DMR... I honestly don’t think you can make any statements on what is and what isn’t skilful.
Just replied to your exact same comment on another thread. What gives