Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Hardest Halo Campaign on Legendary

OP Captain Serowik

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6
In Combat Evolved, the Plasma Grenade produced an EMP effect in addition to its explosive damage. That's why it was so effective against the Elites in that game. In Halo 2, the Plasma Grenade doesn't have the EMP effect. That's why it's so ineffective against Elites in Halo 2 unless you manage to stick them.
I know but the grenade usually kill the Elite at the same time, it's not exactly common to me to see a shielded enemy survive, anything not a Sentinel, Flood or (shielded) Elite is more likely to survive. The usual way to deal with an enemy Ghost on foot and without a Rocket Launcher is to stick a grenade, you get a free Ghost.

The Energy Sword has this trait too but I don't know if a Legendary slash one-hit the player with an overshield, on Easy the attack remove all layers but is still unable to kill Master Chief if he got his shield back to 100% , hinting at a possible EMP effect (and only in Combat Evolved of course) .

I so strongly agree with everything you've said here... except the Dark Souls comparison, but only because I've never played that game. But still, you're absolutely right about Halo 2 not being properly tested, and Halo 5's extremely frustrating Friendly AI. Although, I would actually say that Halo CE's toughest level on Legendary is probably Two Betrayals. The Library is grueling, yes, but the number of Rocket Flood in that level is only half of what's in Two Betrayals. Remember, Rocket Flood.
That's not too bad except for the second pulse generator where a Flood with a RL is spawned with the others, you can get lucky with a grenade throw and kill that Flood but if you don't and you just ran out of grenade...
In Combat Evolved, the Plasma Grenade produced an EMP effect in addition to its explosive damage. That's why it was so effective against the Elites in that game. In Halo 2, the Plasma Grenade doesn't have the EMP effect. That's why it's so ineffective against Elites in Halo 2 unless you manage to stick them.
I know but the grenade usually kill the Elite at the same time, it's not exactly common to me to see a shielded enemy survive, anything not a Sentinel, Flood or (shielded) Elite is more likely to survive. The usual way to deal with an enemy Ghost on foot and without a Rocket Launcher is to stick a grenade, you get a free Ghost.

The Energy Sword has this trait too but I don't know if a Legendary slash one-hit the player with an overshield, on Easy the attack remove all layers but is still unable to kill Master Chief if he got his shield back to 100% , hinting at a possible EMP effect (and only in Combat Evolved of course) .

I so strongly agree with everything you've said here... except the Dark Souls comparison, but only because I've never played that game. But still, you're absolutely right about Halo 2 not being properly tested, and Halo 5's extremely frustrating Friendly AI. Although, I would actually say that Halo CE's toughest level on Legendary is probably Two Betrayals. The Library is grueling, yes, but the number of Rocket Flood in that level is only half of what's in Two Betrayals. Remember, Rocket Flood.
That's not too bad except for the second pulse generator where a Flood with a RL is spawned with the others, you can get lucky with a grenade throw and kill that Flood but if you don't and you just ran out of grenade...
In regards to the Sword.
On Easy, the damage modifiers for enemies is set below what damage they do on Normal. That's why the player can survive a hit from the Energy sword in Easy if they have full health and shields when struck. On Normal and above, the damage modifiers are at their proper values or higher for increased difficulty and challenge.

In Halo 2, the damage modifiers for enemy units is set at 1.5 times the normal values, as is the enemy rate of fire. So, the enemy fires their weapon 1.5 times faster than you and deals 1.5 times as much damage as well on Legendary. Interestingly, in Combat Evolved, the enemy damage modifiers are set at 1.8, but the difference there is that the rate of fire is slower, and the player has energy shields set at 75 points, with underlying health at 75 points as well, despite the health not being rechargeable as it is in later games. In Halo 2, the Player has only 30 points of health, and 70 shield points, and while health and shields recharge, the player is still undeniably weaker in Halo 2 than in Halo CE. In Combat Evolved, the player had more health and shields combined than in Halo 2, which allowed the player to take more damage before dying, while Halo 2 is far less forgiving due to the above factors combined. Enemies have a faster rate of fire, do greater damage with each attack, recharge their shields and health faster, have faster reaction times, and the player has weaker shields and less health. All of this combined is what makes Halo 2's Legendary difficulty A COMPLETE AND UTTER NIGHTMARE.

Would you like to know more?
No.

The Energy Sword one-hit shields regardless of difficulty in Combat Evolved, it can't one-hit the player on Easy (only removing the single layer) but it can remove 3 layers at once.

People overreact about Halo 2's Legendary, always.

The A.I. doesn't hold back on the rate of fire that's it but it's nothing unfair like Reach, the Plasma Rifle can be used that fast by the player (and it's not the only weapon to have that ability) .

The A.I. has the power and the reaction time but little in intelligence, the game would be hard if the A.I. was aware that zerg rushing the player couldn't end well for him but they don't and never try to do anything if it's not within the area they belong to.
No.

The Energy Sword one-hit shields regardless of difficulty in Combat Evolved, it can't one-hit the player on Easy (only removing the single layer) but it can remove 3 layers at once.

People overreact about Halo 2's Legendary, always.

The A.I. doesn't hold back on the rate of fire that's it but it's nothing unfair like Reach, the Plasma Rifle can be used that fast by the player (and it's not the only weapon to have that ability) .

The A.I. has the power and the reaction time but little in intelligence, the game would be hard if the A.I. was aware that zerg rushing the player couldn't end well for him but they don't and never try to do anything if it's not within the area they belong to.
Fine. Halo 2's Legendary difficulty isn't a COMPLETE nightmare.

But it IS extremely frustrating. And the enemy AI's firing rate is still absurd.

But it IS extremely frustrating. And the enemy AI's firing rate is still absurd.
Allies are more aggressive too, the troopers in Reach are good passengers if they have a Needle Rifle (the best available weapon you can trade to the one at the beginning of Tip of the Spear when approaching the anti-air) .

The "no" was for the "Would you like to know more?" *

Allies are more aggressive too, the troopers in Reach are good passengers if they have a Needle Rifle (the best available weapon you can trade to the one at the beginning of Tip of the Spear when approaching the anti-air) .

Oh. I thought you were refuting everything I had stated. Perhaps you could included the question as a quote, then I would have understood your intentions more clearly. As it stands, though... I do find Halo 2 to have one of the best campaigns in the series. I just wish it were properly balanced so that it's tough but fair, like CE and Halo 3, not sadistic and frustrating like the version that was officially released. It don't want Legendary to be easy, but I don't want to die in the first five seconds of an enemy encounter.

And yes, the Needle Rifle is one of the best weapons in Halo: Reach. A fully automatic scope-capable weapon that can score headshots and cause supercombine explosions? What more could anyone ask for? It's my favorite weapon in the game. Hopefully, when mod support becomes available for the PC port of MCC, maybe people can add the Needle Rifle or a Needle Carbine of sorts to modded campaigns. I wouldn't dare add it to multiplayer outside of Reach, but in the single-player and cooperative campaign experience for the other games, I certainly wouldn't mind.
Oh. I thought you were refuting everything I had stated. Perhaps you could included the question as a quote, then I would have understood your intentions more clearly. As it stands, though... I do find Halo 2 to have one of the best campaigns in the series. I just wish it were properly balanced so that it's tough but fair, like CE and Halo 3, not sadistic and frustrating like the version that was officially released. It don't want Legendary to be easy, but I don't want to die in the first five seconds of an enemy encounter.

And yes, the Needle Rifle is one of the best weapons in Halo: Reach. A fully automatic scope-capable weapon that can cause a supercombine explosion? What more could anyone ask for? It's my favorite weapon in the game. Hopefully, when mod support becomes available for the PC port of MCC, maybe people can add the Needle Rifle or a Needle Carbine of sorts to modded campaigns. I wouldn't dare add it to multiplayer outside of Reach, but in the single-player and cooperative campaign experience for the other games, I certainly wouldn't mind.
Rare unless it's an enemy with a one-hit kill weapon (best when placed in a way you don't really have a safe option) or an unexpected encounter.

Halo 2 has a fragile player character (like every Halo not Combat Evolved and maybe ODST) but it's really just enemy snipers that makes the game a bit slower and they easily killed on many encounters if one is careful.
Spoiler:
Show
I was talking when it's used by a trooper because the A.I. has a good attack range (I value the attack range a lot) with a Needle Rifle, your passenger on the Warthog during Tip of the Spear is going to get a better kill count and he tend to score headshots too.

He is still good on LASO, it's an useful perk to have a gun shooting "trigger dodge move for the A.I. " ammo and it's better to hit enemies than a rocket turret (it can actually help to have an enemy take more rockets sometimes) .

Of course Tough Luck makes the NR a very valuable weapon, you can really do a frontal assault on an Elite with Mythic and Tilt and win with a simple melee in the back.
Halo 2 because Microsoft pushed Bungie to finish it quicker instead of letting them completely finish it, as an end result the Master Chief was underpowered and the Jakal snipers are a pain in the butt.
If your answer is anything other than halo 2, then you haven’t played halo 2 lol
All the halo games require different things to do well at. Depending on the type of strategy you use some campaigns will be easier or harder. Halo 2 relies highly on memorization, noob combo, and skips. If you know all that stuff there are large chunks of halo 2 that are a total joke. Overall I think the difficulty goes Halo 2, Halo Reach, Halo CE, Halo 5, Halo 4, Halo 3 ODST, and finally Halo 3. All the games have their tough bits. I kind of try to judge based on a no bug use or skips use sort of play through.
Halo 2. But I didn't even try 4 on legendary.

And yes, the Needle Rifle is one of the best weapons in Halo: Reach. A fully automatic scope-capable weapon that can score headshots and cause supercombine explosions? What more could anyone ask for? It's my favorite weapon in the game. Hopefully, when mod support becomes available for the PC port of MCC, maybe people can add the Needle Rifle or a Needle Carbine of sorts to modded campaigns. I wouldn't dare add it to multiplayer outside of Reach, but in the single-player and cooperative campaign experience for the other games, I certainly wouldn't mind.
After playing it myself, I’ve found a rebalanced Legendary on Halo 2 to be the most enjoyable (yet still challenging) campaign. Unfortunately, it’s currently only possible on Halo 2 for Windows (which you can still find if you look around), but I’m really hoping mod support in MCC for PC will allow that rebalancing to be available to everyone. Playing Halo 2 Legendary “the way it should have been” is pretty awesome.
Tbiesty wrote:

After playing it myself, I’ve found a rebalanced Legendary on Halo 2 to be the most enjoyable (yet still challenging) campaign. Unfortunately, it’s currently only possible on Halo 2 for Windows (which you can still find if you look around), but I’m really hoping mod support in MCC for PC will allow that rebalancing to be available to everyone. Playing Halo 2 Legendary “the way it should have been” is pretty awesome.
Yes, having a rebalanced Halo 2 campaign would be very much akin to a beautiful shining ruby, wouldn't it?
Halo 2 hands down. It was rushed out the door (well not rushed, just ran out of time) and at the time bungie didn't really get enough play test time to tweak halo 2s legendary. So it's really amped up compared to others. I strongly believe any other halo game can be ironman'd on legendary. If you don't know what that is, it's from start to finish on legendary with no deaths. Die once and you must start over from level 1. Im not sure if it's ever been done on halo 2, but I feel like that would be next to impossible.

Halo 2 legendary is kinda like dark souls. You will die, you will die a lot. You will however learn and overcome. However there is still the sniper jackals that will headshot you within one nanosecond of you turning a corner. Some other halos have extremely hard levels on legendary (halo 3 cortana for example) but overall halo 2 is balls to the wall intense.

Halo ce has the library as its tough legendary level, pretty much best bet to beat it is run through it. Halo ce is a tough campaign but fait. I feel lile the levels where crafted well. Halo 4 and reach honestly wasn't even too difficult at all (not saying they was bad, I enjoyed them). Those felt like ce, challenging but if you took your time with every engagement you would prevail. Also like ce you will die a lot of you just rush it. ODST legendary to me was kinda easy, level design was good and you always had the tools you needed to succeed if you didn't waste them. I can beat most of the levels on legendary without my health ever going down. Still though, ODST is really fun campaign and one of my favorites. The newest game halo 5 is only kinda difficult on legendary because your AI sqaud is so dumb I swear their IQ is in the negatives. More than once I've seen a solo no shielded elite kill all 3 of them... Halo 5 is honestly the only halo game I ever played where I had to force myself to finish it just to officially have beaten all halos on legandary so far. story wasn't interesting, neither was the gameplay. Least favorite halo game (at least talking about the campaign)

So ya, my personal opinion for hardest halo game ever made is halo 2. Also my personal opinion the best halo campaign was halo 2.
NEVER, EVER COMPARE HALO 2's UNFAIR DIFFICULTY TO DARK SOULS' FAIR CHALLENGE!!
Halo 2, did it on co-op with a friend, we spend so many hours, sometimes I wonder why did we even bother?
EmiDidact wrote:
Halo 2, did it on co-op with a friend, we spend so many hours, sometimes I wonder why did we even bother?
I feel your pain, dude, and I've never done it on co-op, only solo. And people wonder why I have a problem with Halo 2's Legendary. It's almost as if... those people haven't actually touched it recently enough to remember how frustrating it actually is. I think some people might just be blinded by nostalgia.
EmiDidact wrote:
I feel your pain, dude, and I've never done it on co-op, only solo. And people wonder why I have a problem with Halo 2's Legendary. It's almost as if... those people haven't actually touched it recently enough to remember how frustrating it actually is. I think some people might just be blinded by nostalgia.
I'm not a dude but your empathy is appreciated.

I admire that. I can't bring myself to do it alone. But then again it's because I'm in it for the story and would prefer to not crash and burn all the time. And I agree with that, nostalgia blindness is such a silly thing for people to turn away something new.
Halo 2 100%. Took me about a week to complete it alone but if you love the game you shouldn't mind it too much.
EmiDidact wrote:
EmiDidact wrote:

I admire that. I can't bring myself to do it alone. But then again it's because I'm in it for the story and would prefer to not crash and burn all the time. And I agree with that, nostalgia blindness is such a silly thing for people to turn away something new.
The first time I played Halo 2 on Legendary was on the original X-Box when it was released. I died so much, and it took me... probably a week or more to get through it, and I didn't touch it on Legendary again until I got Halo 3 on the 360 back in... probably around 2008 or 2009 after getting my second 360 (my first 360 contracted the Red Ring of Death), and then I found myself getting so frustrated that I just gave up half-way through the game. I tried it again after getting the PC version, and while it was slightly easier due to Elites not dual-wielding as often, I still found myself being broken down by this unforgiving sadist of a game. I haven't touched the retail version of H2 Legendary since getting the MCC, and I very quickly decided against it after attempting Cairo Station. I will not touch the retail Halo 2 Legendary again, especially not after discovering a rebalanced version for the PC edition made possible by... the M-word. And that's all I'm gonna say because I know if I provide any more details, my post will get edited by a monitor.

Also, I didn't realize you were female when I posted my response. I just tend to call people "dude" out of habit. I hope you didn't take any offense.
EmiDidact wrote:
EmiDidact wrote:

The first time I played Halo 2 on Legendary was on the original X-Box when it was released. I died so much, and it took me... probably a week or more to get through it, and I didn't touch it on Legendary again until I got Halo 3 on the 360 back in... probably around 2008 or 2009 after getting my second 360 (my first 360 contracted the Red Ring of Death), and then I found myself getting so frustrated that I just gave up half-way through the game. I tried it again after getting the PC version, and while it was slightly easier due to Elites not dual-wielding as often, I still found myself being broken down by this unforgiving sadist of a game. I haven't touched the retail version of H2 Legendary since getting the MCC, and I very quickly decided against it after attempting Cairo Station. I will not touch the retail Halo 2 Legendary again, especially not after discovering a rebalanced version for the PC edition made possible by... the M-word. And that's all I'm gonna say because I know if I provide any more details, my post will get edited by a monitor.

Also, I didn't realize you were female when I posted my response. I just tend to call people "dude" out of habit. I hope you didn't take any offense.
Well, that's what happens on Legendary hahah! I know lots of players jump to it because they want that sweet achievement. Before MCC I never bothered and just played on Easy or Normal. I did beat Halo 4 on Heroic by myself though. I barely remember it since it was a long time ago but that little turret sentry and my Lightrifle were my best friends. I got halfway through on Legendary but gave up after Infinity. Took forever to even make it that far so I would rather just play on a lower difficulty and enjoy the story.

Don't worry about it. I've been mistaken for a guy many times on here. I think it's just the anonymity. I just tell people if it happens cause I feel it gets awkward depending on what they say. Calling people "dude" as a habit regardless of gender is perfectly fine. I guess I'd rather have that happen to me than receive harassment of any kind. I'm pleased that most of the times when I tell someone here that I'm female when they mistake it, that they're okay with it.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. ;)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6