Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Has anyone gotten the IWHBYD skull in halo 2?

OP gsc159753

I followed all the steps to get to the skull and it's not there (also got a friend to try it with no luck) , can anyone confirm if I just did it wrong or is it glitched?
According to http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/IWHBYD you need to have gotten seven checkpoints before it will appear.

From the last bit about the skull:
"Be warned, the Skull will only appear if you've obtained all previous Seven checkpoints. There is also a checkpoint over the Skull's room, so wait to get it before you go inside.

If the Skull does not appear, then simply revert to last checkpoint and try again. If you want to save the Skull, (in case you fail in the fight with the Elites) you should exit the room and proceed to get another checkpoint. Save and quit. Restart and go back to room with the Skull. It will always be there. When you grab the Skull, you'll be transported into the alley. You will have only a Plasma Pistol, and must fight off seven waves of Ultra Elites (wave one starting with one Elite, wave two with two Elites, and so on)."
I would have been yo' daddy, but I didn't get the skull yet. :(
I just got it today. Even if you follow the steps perfectly, sometimes it doesn't show up. Just keep trying, you will get it eventually.
All right thanks everyone, ill keep trying it
Currently working on this one....and holy crap is it a pain in my @$$....
Its not too hard, look it up on youtube alot of easy tutorials there
I've gotten it, but it took multiple attempts.
eclaireN7 wrote:
According to http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/IWHBYD you need to have gotten seven checkpoints before it will appear.

"Be warned, the Skull will only appear if you've obtained all previous Seven checkpoints. There is also a checkpoint over the Skull's room, so wait to get it before you go inside.

If the Skull does not appear, then simply revert to last checkpoint and try again. If you want to save the Skull, (in case you fail in the fight with the Elites) you should exit the room and proceed to get another checkpoint. Save and quit. Restart and go back to room with the Skull. It will always be there. When you grab the Skull, you'll be transported into the alley. You will have only a Plasma Pistol, and must fight off seven waves of Ultra Elites (wave one starting with one Elite, wave two with two Elites, and so on)."
This is not correct. That was an old theory that was disproven years ago. Here's the actual way to spawn it, from the dearly departed HighImpactHalo (http://highimpacthalo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14573):

IWHBYD Skull-Difficulty: Legendary
Level-Outskirts
The specifics of this skull are FINALLY known!The main thing triggers are spawning the sniper alley gremlins(I don't use that word enough...), not dying, and not reverting to a past checkpoint. After that's it's merely luck. You heard right, the end all way to get the IWHBYD skull is LUCK! A simple one-in-seven shot. The skull itself is in a room on a balcony. The room contains a sniper rifle and sniper ammo, and if you're one of the lucky ones who can get the skull to spawn, it will also contain the skull. Picking up the skull teleports you to the ground level, and gives you just a Plasma Pistol. You will quickly be assaulted by Elites. Some people say that grunts and jackals will also spawn, but I've never seen them do so, there's a good possibility that grunts followed marines into this alley before the fight, so they started there. In my video, 7 waves of Spec Op Elites come out. Killing the last Elite will have the text for the skull flash, meaning that you have to kill all of the Elites to actually finish getting the skull. If you die to the Elites, and your checkpoint no longer spawns the skull, kill yourself 4 or 5 times to be pushed back one extra checkpoint. The skull should have one more chance of spawning, so you can try again.
Yes I got it last night. Just look up a youtube help video. Youtube has all the answers you need.
Yeah even doing everything right it is a 1 in 7 chance it will appear so just keep trying.
Oozer3993 wrote:
eclaireN7 wrote:

This is not correct. That was an old theory that was disproven years ago. Here's the actual way to spawn it, from the dearly departed HighImpactHalo (http://highimpacthalo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14573):

Level-Outskirts
The specifics of this skull are FINALLY known!The main thing triggers are spawning the sniper alley gremlins(I don't use that word enough...), not dying, and not reverting to a past checkpoint. After that's it's merely luck. You heard right, the end all way to get the IWHBYD skull is LUCK! A simple one-in-seven shot. The skull itself is in a room on a balcony. The room contains a sniper rifle and sniper ammo, and if you're one of the lucky ones who can get the skull to spawn, it will also contain the skull. Picking up the skull teleports you to the ground level, and gives you just a Plasma Pistol. You will quickly be assaulted by Elites. Some people say that grunts and jackals will also spawn, but I've never seen them do so, there's a good possibility that grunts followed marines into this alley before the fight, so they started there. In my video, 7 waves of Spec Op Elites come out. Killing the last Elite will have the text for the skull flash, meaning that you have to kill all of the Elites to actually finish getting the skull. If you die to the Elites, and your checkpoint no longer spawns the skull, kill yourself 4 or 5 times to be pushed back one extra checkpoint. The skull should have one more chance of spawning, so you can try again.
So wait, there is a possibility of losing the skull and never being able to obtain it again?
Oozer3993 wrote:
eclaireN7 wrote:

Level-Outskirts

So wait, there is a possibility of losing the skull and never being able to obtain it again?
No, you just only have a 1 in 7 chance of it spawning every time you start the level. If it's not there, then restart the level and try again. Reverting a checkpoint won't do it. You have to restart the level. And that guide isn't entirely true. You can die. It'll still be there. Here's a video where I get it to spawn after a restart, a death, and only 4 checkpoints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MbUPMFe0eQ That's the route I've been using for the skull for 9 years. It's quick and relatively safe. You should get it to spawn after a couple tries.
Just to tell you, you don't actually need the 7 checkpoints, just the 4th checkpoint which is by the first jackal sniper on that mission
I just got it a little bit ago.
YOU DO NOT NEED ALL 7 CHECKPOINTS, please remember this, just jump up the light the same way to get the other skull in the level, follow to the bridge, jump off onto the bridge, jump back up the other side, look down at the dead marine (Sniper Alley Checkpoint), that starts the counter to if the skull will show up. Then head to skull location. WORKS, had it show up multiple times yesterday this way.
  1. Jump up light and onto first wall
  2. Follow like normal to the overlook where the Pelican lands
  3. jump onto bridge
  4. crouch jump back up on the other side of the bridge
  5. look at the Dead Marine checkpoint (SNIPER ALLEY)
  6. go to skull location
  7. stand on top of platform. if no checkpoint then start again.
If I recall, when I found it, it was not visible in whatever mode I was in, then I switched the graphics and it appeared. So be sure to try in both classic and Anniversary before giving up hope.
yeah, the checkpoints for that one are tricky. You can miss it if you proceed too far then try to go back again. i tried twice yesterday with no luck. Im going to try what TehTacoGuy said above tonight.