Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

HCEA +H2A campaigns performance downgrade.(XB1X)

OP E Mc Sq

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
It’s not just those two games, either. I tried Halo 3 and 4 and had frame drops in my few minutes of testing that I know for a fact we’re never there the last time I played. In fact, the only area I noticed Halo 3 dropping frames last year was the first few seconds of the level The Covenant when the pelican lands. Now there’s small drops just running around.

Halo 1 and 2 are shocking though. There’s screen tearing everywhere on The Silent Cartographer on my One X.
It’s not just those two games, either. I tried Halo 3 and 4 and had frame drops in my few minutes of testing that I know for a fact we’re never there the last time I played. In fact, the only area I noticed Halo 3 dropping frames last year was the first few seconds of the level The Covenant when the pelican lands. Now there’s small drops just running around.

Halo 1 and 2 are shocking though. There’s screen tearing everywhere on The Silent Cartographer on my One X.
Wow see I didn’t notice it in h3 and 4 but h2 and ce are pretty much unplayable right now and 343 as always seems to simply not know or care and it’s not like they listen to what we have to say anyway.
Well the test that I did for Halo 3 was at the start of the level The Covenant. I started the level, cleared all the enemies, and then simply running around the area and panning the camera I was able to get it to drop a few times. So I imagine it could get worse in bigger battles.

Halo 4 was odd. Only played it for a few minutes and loaded the second level from the second load point. It dropped a few frames immediately but then was stable for the rest of the time I played (just a few minutes). But those were the two most stable games in the collection before and to see them dropping frames after about ten minutes of testing isn’t promising.

Were these games running at a dynamic resolution before? I’m curious if they maybe switched off dynamic resolution by accident. As Halo 2 is the worst affected and I know it was running dynamic. It’s performance now reminds me of Wolfenstein 2’s when you switch off it’s dynamic res.
I also have this issue! :(
Thanks for making the thread, OP!

Btw, I'm playing with the game installed on my external hard drive, with an Xbox One X linked to a 1080p tv without HDR support and with the language/subtitles selected to my native language (Italian). To all the folks who have posted on this thread, what about your settings? I wonder if these specific settings may explain why some people don't have these issues, or if everyone have these problems but they just can't notice them...
Darth Nint wrote:
I also have this issue! :(
Thanks for making the thread, OP!

Btw, I'm playing with the game installed on my external hard drive, with an Xbox One X linked to a 1080p tv without HDR support and with the language/subtitles selected to my native language (Italian). To all the folks who have posted on this thread, what about your settings? I wonder if these specific settings may explain why some people don't have these issues, or if everyone have these problems but they just can't notice them...
Hi,
I've tested on a 1080p tv, on a 4k tv with HDR, installed to the internal and on an external.
I uninstalled and re-installed and even tested on a second XB1X.
The results were the same every time:bad framerates.
I think complaints aren't widespread because the majority of players played through the campaigns before the framerate destroying patch was released and moved on to multiplayer, and the new players just assume it's always been like that and 60fps is too much for the hardware, shrug and move on
It's also possible that it only affects the XB1X , and the majority will be playing on base hardware.
I'm setting up my original XB1 and testing today, and i'll post my findings here.
E Mc Sq wrote:
Darth Nint wrote:
I also have this issue! :(
Thanks for making the thread, OP!

Btw, I'm playing with the game installed on my external hard drive, with an Xbox One X linked to a 1080p tv without HDR support and with the language/subtitles selected to my native language (Italian). To all the folks who have posted on this thread, what about your settings? I wonder if these specific settings may explain why some people don't have these issues, or if everyone have these problems but they just can't notice them...
Hi,
I've tested on a 1080p tv, on a 4k tv with HDR, installed to the internal and on an external.
I uninstalled and re-installed and even tested on a second XB1X.
The results were the same every time:bad framerates.
I think complaints aren't widespread because the majority of players played through the campaigns before the framerate destroying patch was released and moved on to multiplayer, and the new players just assume it's always been like that and 60fps is too much for the hardware, shrug and move on
It's also possible that it only affects the XB1X , and the majority will be playing on base hardware.
I'm setting up my original XB1 and testing today, and i'll post my findings here.
Looks like you've tested every possible scenario that involves the Xbox One X: great work!
Sad to see that nothing changed, though... MCC: breaking hearts since 2014! :(
I'm going to tag Postums hoping he notices us!
I've also sent a ticket to Halo Support about this issue, but looking at this thread, it seems all you get back is a "stock" response, so I'm not too hopeful about that...
Confirmed.

Noticed that you decided to force a 50 gig update on me yesterday, so booted it up to see what goodies you had added. Appeared like the answer to that was a big fat F. A.

You really should have more respect for people's bandwidth and possible Internet usage restriction.

So, whilst open I thought I'd play through some Halo CE on my Xbox One X. I was shocked to see what has happened to the performance. Who tests this stuff?

With this kind of crap, and the lack of choosable servers, you must be losing players left right and centre...
I've recorded a clip that shows this issue:
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/darth-nint/video/89744298
Notice the constant screen tearing on the upper portion of the screen when using the Anniversary graphics: it may be hard to tell just by looking at this compressed clip, but the game is running at 40/45 fps.
This is madness.The issues with this game has gone too far for too long,since 2014 the game has not been fixed.
After 6 years its just getting worse on a new,more powerful Xbox One X with a studio with 500 people.
This is madness.The issues with this game has gone too far for too long,since 2014 the game has not been fixed.
After 6 years its just getting worse on a new,more powerful Xbox One X with a studio with 500 people.
I have a lot of patience when it comes to bugs and issues in games, because I get that development in gaming is way harder then most people realize.
But yeah, reading that the campaigns have been suffering from severe frame rate drops since last december, with zero acknowledgements from 343i, even though they used to run flawlessly, dissappointed me in a way that felt like travelling back to 2014.
It's the radio silence that gets me the most, not much the issue itself...
Darth Nint wrote:
This is madness.The issues with this game has gone too far for too long,since 2014 the game has not been fixed.
After 6 years its just getting worse on a new,more powerful Xbox One X with a studio with 500 people.
I have a lot of patience when it comes to bugs and issues in games, because I get that development in gaming is way harder then most people realize.
But yeah, reading that the campaigns have been suffering from severe frame rate drops since last december, with zero acknowledgements from 343i, even though they used to run flawlessly, dissappointed me in a way that felt like travelling back to 2014.
It's the radio silence that gets me the most, not much the issue itself...
They have done nothing for the Campaigns,just broke them even more.
It’s not just those two games, either. I tried Halo 3 and 4 and had frame drops in my few minutes of testing that I know for a fact we’re never there the last time I played. In fact, the only area I noticed Halo 3 dropping frames last year was the first few seconds of the level The Covenant when the pelican lands. Now there’s small drops just running around.

Halo 1 and 2 are shocking though. There’s screen tearing everywhere on The Silent Cartographer on my One X.
Ugh! I made a support ticket, but they haven't replied in the 4 days its been up. This is very frustrating.
MCC was broken at launch,then after couple of years Multiplayer got fixed enough to be playable and MCC was advertised again and sold again in Game Pass.Then they added Reach and sold it again on PC.
Adding Reach was unnecessary cause it brought new bugs and glitches.At this rate this game will never get fixed on Xbox.
Got my base OG XB1 from 2014 up and running and tested the second level 'Halo' on Halo anniversary and 'Delta Halo' on Halo 2 anniversary.
The results were fascinating....
I can confirm that performance on the XB1X is WORSE than the 4-5 times less powerful base Xbox!

The base xbox was dropping frames on Halo anniversary in the same spots, but the drops were less excessive and tearing was harder to spot. It wasn't massively better, but a tiny improvement.

Halo 2 performance was noticeably better on the old xbox; near the start of the Delta Halo stage, when you have to lower the bridge, i stood in an area overlooking the stage and panned the camera around. It was very stable, with tearing very hard to spot.

Over on XB1X, i stood in the same spot and the judder and stuttering were terrible, and screen tearing was very prominent. Note that i had cleared all enemies from the stage and my XB1X had synced my save from the cloud, so this was a like for like test with identical rendering load.
Summing up, Halo 2 runs far better on a base XB1 than it does on XB1X.
I'm shocked and suprised by this as i was understandably expecting things to be worse on the old OG xbox one, but the superior performance (especially on Halo 2) is undeniable.
Keep going guys, we should not let 343 get away with this!
Hi, Xbox one S here, i notice the hit in performance too. At first i though it was just me or my new tv i bought recently, but nope, the game before update runs nice, not perfect, not locked 60fps, but very close.

Now in all Halo i tested runs worse than before. Even in the multiplayer maps of Halo 3 playing in local network just alone. The worse performance i notice was in silent cartographer from Halo 1, when you run in the warthog the frames get all over the place... And in Halo 2A the game sttuters all over the place.

Idk how you can release 59Gb of an update just to broke 2 Campaigns and 1 multiplayer.

Thanks for the thread OP, i just though it was only me.
MCC should not be adding stuff when the game is not fixed yet.Just fix it already 343 and leave it alone.This is the worst mess of a game in the history of video games.
InvokeSoul wrote:
Hi, Xbox one S here, i notice the hit in performance too. At first i though it was just me or my new tv i bought recently, but nope, the game before update runs nice, not perfect, not locked 60fps, but very close.

Now in all Halo i tested runs worse than before. Even in the multiplayer maps of Halo 3 playing in local network just alone. The worse performance i notice was in silent cartographer from Halo 1, when you run in the warthog the frames get all over the place... And in Halo 2A the game sttuters all over the place.

Idk how you can release 59Gb of an update just to broke 2 Campaigns and 1 multiplayer.

Thanks for the thread OP, i just though it was only me.
Actually the reach update broke them
I noticed today that Halo 2 is having audio problems. Even with the game volume and master volume maxed out on my headset, it still sounds quieter than usual. Also my controller settings for all the games (except Reach and CE) were reset back to defaults and my rank and xp didn't show up.

I reinstalled the game and most things are fine now, but Halo 2 is still really quiet.
QtoCool wrote:
InvokeSoul wrote:
Hi, Xbox one S here, i notice the hit in performance too. At first i though it was just me or my new tv i bought recently, but nope, the game before update runs nice, not perfect, not locked 60fps, but very close.

Now in all Halo i tested runs worse than before. Even in the multiplayer maps of Halo 3 playing in local network just alone. The worse performance i notice was in silent cartographer from Halo 1, when you run in the warthog the frames get all over the place... And in Halo 2A the game sttuters all over the place.

Idk how you can release 59Gb of an update just to broke 2 Campaigns and 1 multiplayer.

Thanks for the thread OP, i just though it was only me.
Actually the reach update broke them
Since Reach update? Ouch... I bought Reach, played it all the way and go to other games. its was with this last update of 59gb when i start playing the campaigns again a notice the performace issue.

I recently bought Halo ODST too even having the original in 360, so imagine how i feel about all of this. 🤦🏻‍♂️
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6