Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

HCEA +H2A campaigns performance downgrade.(XB1X)

OP E Mc Sq

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
InvokeSoul wrote:
QtoCool wrote:
InvokeSoul wrote:
Hi, Xbox one S here, i notice the hit in performance too. At first i though it was just me or my new tv i bought recently, but nope, the game before update runs nice, not perfect, not locked 60fps, but very close.

Now in all Halo i tested runs worse than before. Even in the multiplayer maps of Halo 3 playing in local network just alone. The worse performance i notice was in silent cartographer from Halo 1, when you run in the warthog the frames get all over the place... And in Halo 2A the game sttuters all over the place.

Idk how you can release 59Gb of an update just to broke 2 Campaigns and 1 multiplayer.

Thanks for the thread OP, i just though it was only me.
Actually the reach update broke them
Since Reach update? Ouch... I bought Reach, played it all the way and go to other games. its was with this last update of 59gb when i start playing the campaigns again a notice the performace issue.

I recently bought Halo ODST too even after having the original in 360, so imagine how i feel about all of this. 🤦🏻‍♂️
We got to have hope buddy.Maybe it will get fixed on next gen Xbox series X.😊👍
InvokeSoul wrote:
QtoCool wrote:
InvokeSoul wrote:
Hi, Xbox one S here, i notice the hit in performance too. At first i though it was just me or my new tv i bought recently, but nope, the game before update runs nice, not perfect, not locked 60fps, but very close.

Now in all Halo i tested runs worse than before. Even in the multiplayer maps of Halo 3 playing in local network just alone. The worse performance i notice was in silent cartographer from Halo 1, when you run in the warthog the frames get all over the place... And in Halo 2A the game sttuters all over the place.

Idk how you can release 59Gb of an update just to broke 2 Campaigns and 1 multiplayer.

Thanks for the thread OP, i just though it was only me.
Actually the reach update broke them
Since Reach update? Ouch... I bought Reach, played it all the way and go to other games. its was with this last update of 59gb when i start playing the campaigns again a notice the performace issue.

I recently bought Halo ODST too even after having the original in 360, so imagine how i feel about all of this. 🤦🏻‍♂️
We got to have hope buddy.Maybe it will get fixed on next gen Xbox series X.😊👍
I detect sarcasm
Noticed that recent Digital Foundry video didn't mention anything related to current console build, though finally addressed gearbox port "features"
For some reason Digital Foundry haven’t looked at the MCC outside of the Reach beta for years. Even after the One X update.
Yeah these performance problems are very sad. I wonder what they could have changed to make them perform so badly. Despite the abysmal 2014 launch the games at least always ran at a near perfect 60fps even on the base consoles.
Yeah these performance problems are very sad. I wonder what they could have changed to make them perform so badly. Despite the abysmal 2014 launch the games at least always ran at a near perfect 60fps even on the base consoles.
The game didn't need to bring Reach,it was in a pretty good state before that.Now this is a disaster that will never get fixed.I'm so sad and disappointed,i can't believe it.
Yeah these performance problems are very sad. I wonder what they could have changed to make them perform so badly. Despite the abysmal 2014 launch the games at least always ran at a near perfect 60fps even on the base consoles.
I dont really know what they touch and i can't even imagine it, becuase the Halo CEA have the same transparents missing effects everywhere as always, they never fix it for PC release.

I just took my og xbox with halo CE just to compare and the difference with missing effects its abysmal, even the normal maps are better represented in the og xbox.

32" IPS monitor vs 15" trinitron CRT, and looks better in the crt...
Well the test that I did for Halo 3 was at the start of the level The Covenant. I started the level, cleared all the enemies, and then simply running around the area and panning the camera I was able to get it to drop a few times. So I imagine it could get worse in bigger battles.

Halo 4 was odd. Only played it for a few minutes and loaded the second level from the second load point. It dropped a few frames immediately but then was stable for the rest of the time I played (just a few minutes). But those were the two most stable games in the collection before and to see them dropping frames after about ten minutes of testing isn’t promising.

Were these games running at a dynamic resolution before? I’m curious if they maybe switched off dynamic resolution by accident. As Halo 2 is the worst affected and I know it was running dynamic. It’s performance now reminds me of Wolfenstein 2’s when you switch off it’s dynamic res.
Been testing Halo 3 and 4.
Halo 4: I too noticed a temporary drop in performance when loading into the second level from the second load point, but it appears to be caused by assets still loading in, and it quickly stabilizes back to 60 and stays there. If you play the 2nd level from the start, no framedrops occur at that second load point.

I played through 4 stages of Halo 4, including the Infinity level, which has some pretty heavy action towards the end, and noticed no framerate issues.

I did notice that bodies of water now ripple when travelling through them, which was present in the original 360 game but previously missing in the MCC version, so it's nice that they've been reinstated.

Halo 3, however, does appear to have frame pacing issues now, which causes intermitternt stutter to crop up. I didn't notice any major frame drops in the two stages i tested, but the incorrect frame pacing can make the game look a bit jerky at times.

This was campaign, but i have heard reports that multiplayer has some nasty performance problems.

So currently we have:
Halo with classic graphics: Perfect 60, great,
Halo 2 classic: Perfect 60, great,
Halo with modern graphics: Terrible framerate and tearing,
Halo 2 with modern graphics: Terrible framerate and tearing,
Halo 3: bad framepacing causing stuttering,
Halo 4: Locked 60.
I made a post on Reddit and got a response from a 343 employee. They said they are investigating the issue. Which is the first time I’ve heard them acknowledge the issue.

Hopefully we’ll get a fix sometime soon.
Yeah, I’ve been replaying Halo 4 as well and can’t get it to drop anymore than that one instance I mentioned. I did notice however that it doesn't have any texture filtering. It’s been a while since I played it but did it used to have anisotropic filtering when it was originally latched for the One X? Because now I’m concerned some other things might have been messed up as well with recent updates.
S01itude01 wrote:
I made a post on Reddit and got a response from a 343 employee. They said they are investigating the issue. Which is the first time I’ve heard them acknowledge the issue.

Hopefully we’ll get a fix sometime soon.
Hopefully because until then I’m simply not playing halo
E Mc Sq wrote:
Well the test that I did for Halo 3 was at the start of the level The Covenant. I started the level, cleared all the enemies, and then simply running around the area and panning the camera I was able to get it to drop a few times. So I imagine it could get worse in bigger battles.

Halo 4 was odd. Only played it for a few minutes and loaded the second level from the second load point. It dropped a few frames immediately but then was stable for the rest of the time I played (just a few minutes). But those were the two most stable games in the collection before and to see them dropping frames after about ten minutes of testing isn’t promising.

Were these games running at a dynamic resolution before? I’m curious if they maybe switched off dynamic resolution by accident. As Halo 2 is the worst affected and I know it was running dynamic. It’s performance now reminds me of Wolfenstein 2’s when you switch off it’s dynamic res.
Been testing Halo 3 and 4.
Halo 4: I too noticed a temporary drop in performance when loading into the second level from the second load point, but it appears to be caused by assets still loading in, and it quickly stabilizes back to 60 and stays there. If you play the 2nd level from the start, no framedrops occur at that second load point.

I played through 4 stages of Halo 4, including the Infinity level, which has some pretty heavy action towards the end, and noticed no framerate issues.

I did notice that bodies of water now ripple when travelling through them, which was present in the original 360 game but previously missing in the MCC version, so it's nice that they've been reinstated.

Halo 3, however, does appear to have frame pacing issues now, which causes intermitternt stutter to crop up. I didn't notice any major frame drops in the two stages i tested, but the incorrect frame pacing can make the game look a bit jerky at times.

This was campaign, but i have heard reports that multiplayer has some nasty performance problems.

So currently we have:
Halo with classic graphics: Perfect 60, great,
Halo 2 classic: Perfect 60, great,
Halo with modern graphics: Terrible framerate and tearing,
Halo 2 with modern graphics: Terrible framerate and tearing,
Halo 3: bad framepacing causing stuttering,
Halo 4: Locked 60.
Does ODST have any issues with FPS? I haven't checked this personally. Your right about Halo 3, an old issue I remember last year was Halo 3 had a checkpoint stutter issue, I think this got cleared up maybe. I tested this just last week and I only noticed the FPS stutter a bit throughout the gameplay but not the checkpoints now.
E Mc Sq wrote:
Well the test that I did for Halo 3 was at the start of the level The Covenant. I started the level, cleared all the enemies, and then simply running around the area and panning the camera I was able to get it to drop a few times. So I imagine it could get worse in bigger battles.

Halo 4 was odd. Only played it for a few minutes and loaded the second level from the second load point. It dropped a few frames immediately but then was stable for the rest of the time I played (just a few minutes). But those were the two most stable games in the collection before and to see them dropping frames after about ten minutes of testing isn’t promising.

Were these games running at a dynamic resolution before? I’m curious if they maybe switched off dynamic resolution by accident. As Halo 2 is the worst affected and I know it was running dynamic. It’s performance now reminds me of Wolfenstein 2’s when you switch off it’s dynamic res.
Been testing Halo 3 and 4.
Halo 4: I too noticed a temporary drop in performance when loading into the second level from the second load point, but it appears to be caused by assets still loading in, and it quickly stabilizes back to 60 and stays there. If you play the 2nd level from the start, no framedrops occur at that second load point.

I played through 4 stages of Halo 4, including the Infinity level, which has some pretty heavy action towards the end, and noticed no framerate issues.

I did notice that bodies of water now ripple when travelling through them, which was present in the original 360 game but previously missing in the MCC version, so it's nice that they've been reinstated.

Halo 3, however, does appear to have frame pacing issues now, which causes intermitternt stutter to crop up. I didn't notice any major frame drops in the two stages i tested, but the incorrect frame pacing can make the game look a bit jerky at times.

This was campaign, but i have heard reports that multiplayer has some nasty performance problems.

So currently we have:
Halo with classic graphics: Perfect 60, great,
Halo 2 classic: Perfect 60, great,
Halo with modern graphics: Terrible framerate and tearing,
Halo 2 with modern graphics: Terrible framerate and tearing,
Halo 3: bad framepacing causing stuttering,
Halo 4: Locked 60.
Does ODST have any issues with FPS? I haven't checked this personally. Your right about Halo 3, an old issue I remember last year was Halo 3 had a checkpoint stutter issue, I think this got cleared up maybe. I tested this just last week and I only noticed the FPS stutter a bit throughout the gameplay but not the checkpoints now.
Yes, worst than H3 mp or checkpoint sttuters.

If you go inside the buildings or point the camera over a close space have no problem, but when ypu look at open space (like a city plaza) with a few enemies the fps tanks very hard.
I guess this topic should be always on top, so people would know
QtoCool wrote:
S01itude01 wrote:
I made a post on Reddit and got a response from a 343 employee. They said they are investigating the issue. Which is the first time I’ve heard them acknowledge the issue.

Hopefully we’ll get a fix sometime soon.
Hopefully because until then I’m simply not playing halo
Yea im pretty disappointed about this bs from 343.
Good news is they mentioned this issue in their latest update!

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/243780d3b80b4bb6ac7917a8942286db/topics/mcc-development-flighting-updates/3e3252e1-297a-4590-a7ab-67c133b3d37d/posts?page=2&utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#post21

They encourage everyone having issues to fill out a support ticket.
So, it has been roughly nine months since framerate issues were introduced to the remastered campaigns of Halo and Halo 2, and we still have no fix in sight.
I cannot lie, i am hugely disappointed by this.

Patch notes did allude to 343 investigating these framerate issues, but it's a bit vague considering what a major issue this represents.
I assumed getting performance back to it's original state on XB1X would be a priority, but as the months drag on this is clearly not the case.

I and many others would just appreciate a firm reply from 343 explaining why the framerate broke in the first place, why it's taking so long to fix and when we might see this issue finally resolved.

I understand that 343 are busy, and that covid has really impacted the industry, but i think after Nine months of waiting an explanation and fix for this problem isn't asking too much, right?

Many thanks.
E Mc Sq wrote:
So, it has been roughly nine months since framerate issues were introduced to the remastered campaigns of Halo and Halo 2, and we still have no fix in sight.
I cannot lie, i am hugely disappointed by this.

Patch notes did allude to 343 investigating these framerate issues, but it's a bit vague considering what a major issue this represents.
I assumed getting performance back to it's original state on XB1X would be a priority, but as the months drag on this is clearly not the case.

I and many others would just appreciate a firm reply from 343 explaining why the framerate broke in the first place, why it's taking so long to fix and when we might see this issue finally resolved.

I understand that 343 are busy, and that covid has really impacted the industry, but i think after Nine months of waiting an explanation and fix for this problem isn't asking too much, right?

Many thanks.
Yea same it’s really mind boggling like at least an explanation would be nice just so we know they know it’s broken
You’re still having those stuttering errors? My XB1X has been handling H2A without any noticeable frame drops, even before the most recent update. Then again, I’m playing off a disc so perhaps your issues could be hard drive based? Who knows
You’re still having those stuttering errors? My XB1X has been handling H2A without any noticeable frame drops, even before the most recent update. Then again, I’m playing off a disc so perhaps your issues could be hard drive based? Who knows
Yea somethings not adding up with this comment...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6