Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

How can I tell if my mic is working in voice chat?

OP Doctor Roxo 27

Hey guys,

I'm just now getting back into Halo after many years away thanks to my kids. We're having fun, but I'm frustrated that I can't seem to get voice chat to work. I *think* I have all the settings correct, but I see no on-screen indicator that the mic is picking up my voice when I speak. I've confirmed the headsets and mics work fine and they work on other games, etc.

Is there a known issue here that I'm missing? Do the games no longer show an on-screen indicator that your voice is being picked up?

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm pretty sure there's an on screen indicator which is a little speaker that faces East that has 3 semi circles that increase in size coming out of it, indicating that you are currently speaking into the microphone. I haven't used one for a while in MCC, but I'm pretty sure this is what you should see if it's picking up your voice.
I've had similar things happen, I think it has something to do with being in an xbox live party? Sometimes the voice chat just doesnt work
I'm pretty sure there's an on screen indicator which is a little speaker that faces East that has 3 semi circles that increase in size coming out of it, indicating that you are currently speaking into the microphone. I haven't used one for a while in MCC, but I'm pretty sure this is what you should see if it's picking up your voice.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen any voice indicator the last several times I've tried. Strangely, I was getting an indicator of some kind on one random occasion a few weeks ago. It looked like an antenna (instead of a speaker) with three semicircles coming out. I assumed it was a mic indicator, but it was lighting up an awful lot, even when we weren't talking, so I wasn't sure if it was just picking up the ambient/game sounds or what. Headsets work great with every other game.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen any voice indicator the last several times I've tried. Strangely, I was getting an indicator of some kind on one random occasion a few weeks ago. It looked like an antenna (instead of a speaker) with three semicircles coming out. I assumed it was a mic indicator, but it was lighting up an awful lot, even when we weren't talking, so I wasn't sure if it was just picking up the ambient/game sounds or what. Headsets work great with every other game.
That's exactly what it was. Sometimes headsets can be a bit too sensitive and pick up the slightest of sounds; the rustle of clothing, the moving of the wire, or in-game sounds through your TV. When you speak, a little antenna will appear in the bottom right. When other players speak, a speaker icon will appear on your screen.
It should indicate on the right of your screen, if that’s not the case may I suggest screaming into the mic until someone responds