Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

How to make H2A an actual successor

OP PIasmaArch3r

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Hello. This time I wanna say some suggestions to make Halo 2:Anniversary a game that resembles the Classic version more, in terms of gameplay.

* Vehicle tweaks:
- Buff the health of all the different vehicles. Currently, they are destroyed with less grenades or shots than in the old version, which drastically affects the gameplay.
- Hide the Ghost's weak point a bit more. Now, it can be destroyed with a single shot of a BR, accidentally or not.
- Buff the power of the Banshee main weapon, and maybe the bullets speed. They're so easy to dodge, and do very little damage compared to the original.
- Although the Gungosse/Mongosse weren't in the Classic version, I suggest to increase its damage at least x2 (it has issues when killing, even if the enemies have been already weakened) and health points, respectively, at least to be a reliable counter for the Ghost and walking players.
- It seems that the Hornet as it stands now is the master vehicle. To balance it, I'd recommend decreasing its health slightly so that constant fire from a team can get rid of it in a decent amount of time, and I'd disable missiles as players in both sides of the Hornet can already carry on explosives.
- Add the Spectre, which was iconic of Halo 2 Classic, mainly for BTB or customs. The Shadow could be an interesting addition for BTB, as I see it , that vehicle would create a unique experience.
- Include the Shade Turret (campaign version).

* HUD: put the shield indicator in the correct point, which is at the top of the radar, instead of the screen (like Halo 4). Although it could be seen as minor change, this involves a drastical change in the gameplay, because you can't see both at the same time, so you're forced to either change your sight focus constantly (which can distract you) or place your TV further. I understand it's more of a personal preference, so to please both sides of the coin, I would make it entirely optional. Also, while in split-screen, crosshairs are not scaled in a suitable way: in fact they're too large. This is a problem that's been like that since Halo 4 was released, and stuck to H2A.

* Weapon tweaks:
- Increase the size of the BR crosshair. Currently, it acts more like a Sniper than a mid range weapon, and its bullets are really accurate that way. In the classic version, however, it would suffer at the longest distances. Although it was powerful in the original Halo 2, its rate of fire could be nerfed a bit so the other weapons doesn't suffer as much as in the old matches. Also, the connection wasn't as good as nowadays, so the BR kills in 4 shots weren't too often. It should also be mentioned that there was a damage cut off at long range in the OG H2.
- Make Dual-wielding great again. One of the most fun and coordination rewarding features of the original version was nerfed, in a way that makes a single weapon nearly as powerful as two of them. I would suggest to increase the rate of fire of the SMG when dueled, which is the main issue. Currently, a single player with a BR can kill a Dual-SMGs user in close range, even if he started first and the BR user is not strafing. Change the secondary slot of the BR+Auto starts pack to be an SMG or at least a Magnum to allow those combinations.
- Buff the Plasma Rifle projectile speed and rate of fire to make it able to beat an SMG, and to be a valuable close range gun, like it was in the past.
- The Shotgun and Sword shoot and hit, respectively, seems to be prioritized when you shoot/melee someone with those weapons, in contrast to the normal melee, resulting in an unfair trade, or in the worst case, an unregistered hit. It has never happened to me in the old edition.
- Since some people point out that Halo 2:Anniversary is kind of a reimagination/goes through a certain direction, maybe it could use some weapon balance changes, that make some weapons differ a bit from the other ones, such as a 2.5x zoom for the Carbine, 1.5x zoom for the Magnum (so that the Silenced SMG + Pistol starts in the non BR Slayer playlist would be something reliable and cool, at least in my opinion) and a stun mechanic for the Plasma Rifle, but it's clearly open to debate. This could open the doors also to features like a compass included in the radar for easier and more accurate callouts, however this is quite gameplay changing so I'd keep it for H:I.
- Power weapons should be at static timers, just like the Classic version.

* Melee tweaks: this one is a bit less noticeable, however, if you play enough matchs, you will see the difference easily. The issue is the range; while in the classic version you can punch at longer distances, it's not possible anymore in the anniversary edition. However, the speed was nerfed very accurately and it keeps the momentum based damage system.

* Scenary tweaks: in the map Coagulation, teleporters were changed for boosters; in my opinion, that drastically changes classic gameplay and it should perform it better, so I'd suggest to change them with Forge (if possible). In addition to that, please turn on teleporters across all objective gametypes, in maps like Warlock or Ascension, as that was the way it was intented to play.

* Sounds: players seems to be muted, either it's an Elite or an Spartan. That said, death and hit sounds should be added too. Also, the annocer talks too loud and the music sometimes ruins the atmosphere, which should be focused in the environment, players and weapons sounds exclusively. As this is more of a personal opinion, like the HUD one, make it optional to disable the music and to change the voice.

* Armor tweaks: while the Spartan skins are quite good, the Elite ones don't resemble those enemies properly; in fact, the height and look of the hybrid armour isn't accurate.

* Hit and grenade indicators: while in my opinion the hit markers are important to know if hits are being detected accurately, I think the grenade ones are more of an issue, because they reveal the position of a player who's hiding. Not to be confused with the grenade alert message, which is probably unnecessary too, due to the lack of listening skill it causes.

* Remake more maps: there are just 6 of 7 maps, instead of the nearly 30 maps of the classic Halo. Create some DLC packs, or if it's not possible, forge remakes could be a temporal suitable way. For instance, as many players suggested, Gemini, Ivory Tower or Turf for 4v4 and Containment, District, Waterworks, Terminal and Headlong are possible choices.

Note that I've created this new thread to freshen a bit the discussion with the new forge maps addition to H2A (Select, Epic and HeartStroke); I wanted to know your opinion and what you think would be the next great step to do (this list tries to put them all together). With the recent 343 improvements, it's the right time to talk about this. Feel free to add anything to the suggestions.
Hello. This time I wanna say some suggestions to make Halo 2:Anniversary a game that resembles the Classic version more, in terms of gameplay.

* Vehicle tweaks:- Buff the health of all the different vehicles. Currently, they are destroyed with less grenades or shots than in the old version, which drastically affects the gameplay.
- Hide the Ghost's weak point a bit more. Now, it can be destroyed with a single shot of a BR, accidentally or not.
- Buff the power of the Banshee main weapon, and maybe the bullets speed. They're so easy to dodge, and do very little damage compared to the original.
- Although the Mongosse/Gungoose wasn't in the Classic version, I suggest to increase its damage at least x2 (it has issues when killing, even if the enemies have been already weakened).
- Add the Spectre, which was iconic of Halo 2 Classic, mainly for BTB or customs. The Shadow could be an interesting addition for BTB, as I see it , that vehicle would create a unique experience.

* HUD: put the shield indicator in the correct point, which is at the top of the radar, instead of the screen (like Halo 4). Although it could be seen as minor change, this involves a drastical change in the gameplay, because you can't see both at the same time, so you're forced to either change your sight focus constantly (which can distract you) or place your TV further. I understand it's more of a personal preference, so to please both sides of the coin, I would make it entirely optional. Also, while in split-screen, crosshairs are not scaled in a suitable way: in fact they're too large.

* Weapon tweaks:
- Increase the size of the BR crosshair. Currently, it acts more like a Sniper than a mid range weapon, and its bullets are really accurate that way. In the classic version, however, it would suffer at the longest distances. Although it was powerful in the original Halo 2, its rate of fire could be nerfed a bit so the other weapons doesn't suffer as much as in the old matches. Also, the connection wasn't as good as nowadays, so the BR kills in 4 shots weren't too often. It should also be mentioned that there was a damage cut off at long range in the OG H2.
- Make Dual-wielding great again. One of the most fun and coordination rewarding features of the original version was nerfed, in a way that makes a single weapon nearly as powerful as two of them. I would suggest to increase the rate of fire of the SMG when dueled, which is the main issue. Currently, a single player with a BR can kill a Dual-SMGs user in close range, even if he started first and the BR user is not strafing. Change the secondary slot of the BR+Auto starts pack to be an SMG or at least a Magnum to allow those combinations.
- Buff the Plasma Rifle projectile speed and rate of fire to make it able to beat an SMG, and to be a valuable close range gun, like it was in the past.
- The Shotgun and Sword shoot and hit, respectively, seems to be prioritized when you shoot/melee someone with those weapons, in contrast to the normal melee, resulting in an unfair trade, or in the worst case, an unregistered hit. It has never happened to me in the old edition.

* Melee tweaks: this one is a bit less noticeable, however, if you play enough matchs, you will see the difference easily. The issue is the range; while in the classic version you can punch at longer distances, it's not possible anymore in the anniversary edition. However, the speed was nerfed very accurately and it keeps the damage system.

* Scenary tweaks: in the map Coagulation, teleporters were changed for boosters; in my opinion, that drastically changes classic gameplay and it should perform it better, so I'd suggest to change them with Forge (if possible).

* Sounds: players seems to be muted, either it's an Elite or an Spartan. That said, death and hit sounds should be added too. Also, the annocer talks too loud and the music sometimes ruins the atmosphere, which should be focused in the environment, players and weapons sounds exclusively. As this is more of a personal opinion, like the HUD one, make it optional to disable the music and to change the voice.

* Armor tweaks: while the Spartan skins are quite good, the Elite ones don't resemble those enemies properly; in fact, the height and look of the hybrid armour isn't accurate.

* Hit and grenade indicators: while in my opinion the hit markers are important to know if hits are being detected accurately, I think the grenade ones are more of an issue, because they reveal the position of a player who's hiding. Not to be confused with the grenade alert message, which is probably unnecessary too, due to the lack of listening skill it causes.

* Remake more maps: there are just 6 of 7 maps, instead of the nearly 30 maps of the classic Halo. Create some DLC packs, or if it's not possible, forge remakes could be a temporal suitable way. For instance, as many players suggested, Gemini, Ivory Tower or Turf for 4v4 and Containment, District, Waterworks, Terminal and Headlong are possible choices.

Note that I've created this new thread to freshen a bit the discussion with the new forge maps addition to H2A (Select, Epic and HeartStroke); I wanted to know your opinion and what you think would be the next great step to do (this list tries to put them all together). With the recent 343 improvements, it's the right time to talk about this. Feel free to add anything to the suggestions.
I don’t need to add any Suggestions, you just took the words right out of my mouth & I agree with every point
The absolute biggest difference between H2A and H2C is the ability, or rather inability to YY, BXR, cancel the cooldown times of your spartan's actions. Every single other thing in the OP is moot compared to this.
While H2A dosent need to be Halo 2 Remastered since it is rather a Reimagination or "modernization" of that Multiplayer ( gungooses and hornets werent in Halo 2 , just like the assault rifle but the fit ) i REALLY want to see Maps , At least enough DEV maps that it got a fully fledged Halo MP . Its really the only thing holding H2A back in my opinion. I think H2A is pretty much what Halo 4 should have been and is right now IMO the best "modern" Halo experience ( i mean selecting between H4 , H5 and aniversary ) .
While H2A dosent need to be Halo 2 Remastered since it is rather a Reimagination or "modernization" of that Multiplayer ( gungooses and hornets werent in Halo 2 , just like the assault rifle but the fit ) i REALLY want to see Maps , At least enough DEV maps that it got a fully fledged Halo MP . Its really the only thing holding H2A back in my opinion. I think H2A is pretty much what Halo 4 should have been and is right now IMO the best "modern" Halo experience ( i mean selecting between H4 , H5 and aniversary ) .
I'd agree that visually it's the best modern halo atm , although 4 is very similar but H2A gameplay wise and server connection wise ( especially as an Australian player )isn't as good as h5 , I find 5 to be a better smoother experience, if the H3 classic list was permanent in H5 that would be my absolute stable go to. The overall weapons balance is also better than H2A. but more dev maps and weapon balancing/retuning it certainly could be better . And honestly get rid of the stupid grenade symbol it's so Cod a certain affinity hangover if there ever was one .
Unfortunately I don't see 343 taking the time and putting the effort in to make any of this happen- but it all sounds great!
The absolute biggest difference between H2A and H2C is the ability, or rather inability to YY, BXR, cancel the cooldown times of your spartan's actions. Every single other thing in the OP is moot compared to this.
Well, those abilities are essentially unintented bugs or glitches that were discovered as people played, rather than being a day one control that was explained and usable for everyone. This was in part due to a game that wasn't prepared to be launched that early.

So, trying to readd to H2A said button combinations is practically impossible as they would have to break the correct functionality of the game. Also, it's a feature that makes H2C a little different and more competitive (if you look at the list, it is mainly focused in casual things meant for fun, or balancing issues/lack of maps). They should stay in H2C, but at least they must be fully explained and understandable for the whole community not to confuse new players while in classic games. If there was ever a possibility to keep them, that was when they decided to use the Halo 4 engine instead of the OG H2 one.

In fact, the only ways to adjust the Anniversary experience as much as possible without having to change the balanced, fair and easy to use/comprehend button gameplay is the list above. Otherwise, the same nightmare would be repeated again for newcomers, not counting the controversial thing that this topic has, as people can't decide whether it's an error abuse or a legal tactic, despite the skill and practise it requires to be mastered. In addition, they create even more balancing problems in an already useless sandbox.
Well, those abilities are essentially unintented bugs or glitches that were discovered as people played, rather than being a day one control that was explained and usable for everyone. This was in part due to a game that wasn't prepared to be launched that early.

So, trying to readd to H2A said button combinations is practically impossible as they would have to break the correct functionality of the game. Also, it's a feature that makes H2C a little different and more competitive (if you look at the list, it is mainly focused in casual things meant for fun, or balancing issues/lack of maps). They should stay in H2C, but at least they must be fully explained and understandable for the whole community not to confuse new players while in classic games. If there was ever a possibility to keep them, that was when they decided to use the Halo 4 engine instead of the OG H2 one.

In fact, the only ways to adjust the Anniversary experience as much as possible without having to change the balanced, fair and easy to use/comprehend button gameplay is the list above. Otherwise, the same nightmare would be repeated again for newcomers, not counting the controversial thing that this topic has, as people can't decide whether it's an error abuse or a legal tactic, despite the skill and practise it requires to be mastered. In addition, they create even more balancing problems in an already useless sandbox.
Right....and I'm telling you that all your suggestions could be implemented tomorrow and you still wouldn't find games in H2A.
I would have to agree with you on a lot of this!
All it needs is more OG maps remastered. H2A isn't supposed to be a duplicate of H2... IMO.
LethalQ wrote:
All it needs is more OG maps remastered. H2A isn't supposed to be a duplicate of H2... IMO.
Weapons and melee balancing could use some general tweaking , not to make it H2C duplicate but just more halo-Esk . Grenade icon when thrown another such example , having said that it's still a beautiful example of a halo game and yes more dev maps weather H 1,2,3 or reach copies or new originals would be most welcome.
Put the weapons on static timers too. That's the worst part of H2C, and of course it's the one thing they're completely faithful to.
LethalQ wrote:
Well... while this is a list that tries to perform a game that resembles Halo 2, it doesn't pretend to create a duplicate nor to be redundant. The truly point of this is to help shape a gameplay that worked perfectly aside from some glitches and bugs that darkened the experience to pretty high levels.

So, making those changes real, would only improve an already familiar concept that partially returned with Halo 2:Anniversary. A few adjustements to the a new engine (the Halo 4 one) could transform the whole gameplay; I'm just asking for a little more of attention. Like you said, we were left with a really small pool of maps, and, to be honest, I don't think new ones are the correct way to improve that situation, but to include Forge remakes, which there are plenty of them.

Moreover, many elements that were left untweaked (at least we got jump, melee and speed iterations) could have created a completely different experience as I detail in the main post. If you read them slowly, they're just little things such as environment objects, hud appearance, disabling grenade indicators, a suitable dual-wielding balance that is supported by the gameplay but remains untouched, enabling player sounds and letting us turning on/off specific effects, or an accurately adjusted vehicle sandbox (not making them pieces of paper). Not to mention that the game would still be different due to the Hornet, the AR, silenced SMG, no button combos, awesome graphics, new gamemodes (for instance, Ricochet) and such. Furthermore, there are even some suggestions to differentiate it even more, such as the Shadow inclusion that would create a unique gameplay. Again, I'm just trying to fix an old game with the proper matherials to make the actual director's cut that Halo 2 A intented to be, but without having to adapt yourself to the Anniversary/Classic everytime you change titles, apart from a few obvious things.
I've always seen H2A as an idea which had a lot of potential, but was undeniably overlooked so it ended up being a strange mix of games. With that said, many of those improvements could see the light one day and that would be gorgeous, specially if we got the vehicle tweaks or the old map remakes. Make it shine and have a truly identity. And talking about the forge maps... the spawning system is awful as hell, it remembers me of Derelict.

The rest of the list, though, I could live without them, although the duals rebalance is pretty important to both types of players: newcomers and extremely good ones, whether it's a way to challenge yourself by improving your coordination & control skills, or just to try some cool stuff against the BR overuse that's been present since the Halo 2 TU, as far as I'm concerned. Remove that AR from the second slot as well. On the other hand, I wouldn't change the way maps are right now, as my opinion has grown over games and I finally ended up appreciating those changes; as I see them, boosters are fine to develop another experiences. If I want the old Coagulation, I can always play that, so I agree a bit with some of the answers above not to create a duplicate of Halo 2 in some aspects. But, of course, turn on those teleporters; CTF is just not the same. In addition, please disable nade indicators, those are just cheap ways to find a lone poor player that's somehow trying to recharge his shield fastly. I never liked them in later Halos, so do I now.

Personally, I think the HUD and sounds tweaks should be left or at least made optional. What about adding a way to turn off gore effects too? I've seen some people complaining about that. And to finish this... sadly, the Shadow or the Spectre are unlikely to be added, unless after Halo:Reach.
Dude, could not have summed it up any better. Would love to see these changes.

* Vehicle tweaks:- Buff the health of all the different vehicles. Currently, they are destroyed with less grenades or shots than in the old version, which drastically affects the gameplay.
- Although the Mongosse/Gungoose wasn't in the Classic version, I suggest to increase its damage at least x2 (it has issues when killing, even if the enemies have been already weakened).

* HUD: put the shield indicator in the correct point, which is at the top of the radar, instead of the screen (like Halo 4). Although it could be seen as minor change, this involves a drastical change in the gameplay, because you can't see both at the same time, so you're forced to either change your sight focus constantly (which can distract you) or place your TV further. I understand it's more of a personal preference, so to please both sides of the coin, I would make it entirely optional. Also, while in split-screen, crosshairs are not scaled in a suitable way: in fact they're too large.

* Weapon tweaks:

* Melee tweaks: this one is a bit less noticeable, however, if you play enough matchs, you will see the difference easily. The issue is the range; while in the classic version you can punch at longer distances, it's not possible anymore in the anniversary edition. However, the speed was nerfed very accurately and it keeps the damage system.

* Scenary tweaks: in the map Coagulation, teleporters were changed for boosters; in my opinion, that drastically changes classic gameplay and it should perform it better, so I'd suggest to change them with Forge (if possible).

I don’t need to add any Suggestions, you just took the words right out of my mouth & I agree with every point
Same very well said my friend! I completely agree if they did all of that it would truly be a fantastic one! 😃
tonic bom wrote:
Same very well said my friend! I completely agree if they did all of that it would truly be a fantastic one! 😃
Thank you for your support. Sadly, the launch on PC and the inclusion of Reach has slowed down this topic a lot, so hopefully when they finish that tasks or when H2A launches on Steam/Windows Store development might pay a bit of attention to the points, specially the maps one which is undoubtedly necessary.

Despite the fact that new scenaries were added, as I see it the spawn behaviour should be tweaked to feel right, and I also think that while new maps and experiences are always welcome, remakes would be a better idea, even if they're temporarily forge-made as they've been already tested through the years.

And since some people point out that Halo 2:Anniversary is kind of a reimagination, maybe it could use some weapon balance changes, that make some weapons differ a bit from the other ones, such as a 2.5x zoom for the Carbine and a stun mechanic for the Plasma Rifle, but this is something open to discussion.
That's because those were fixed. They're bugs. They may be fun bugs that you like because they let you wreck people who don't know about them, but I'm more interested in a fair gameplay experience for everybody.
The plasma rifle is already pretty strong, it's better than the SMG and pistol. It melts shields, just follow it up with a melee. Up close it beats the BR. I always swap out my AR for a plasma rifle when I get a chance.

I don't think vehicles need any buffs, the hornet is ridiculous, it is so OP. It can control the game.
The plasma rifle is already pretty strong, it's better than the SMG and pistol. It melts shields, just follow it up with a melee. Up close it beats the BR. I always swap out my AR for a plasma rifle when I get a chance.

I don't think vehicles need any buffs, the hornet is ridiculous, it is so OP. It can control the game.
Well... I also try to pick up a Plasma Rifle whenever I get a chance; certainly, some bullets followed by a melee can be pretty deadly, although in H2A they're easier to dodge and are slower. In addition to that, its fire rate is also different. Personally, I think its stats should be reverted or adjusted to be those of the OG H2. As it stands right now, the SMG with a pistol combination seems safer than the pistol with the Plasma Rifle, but server issues might cause some issues too. Anyways, it's good to see different opinions.

Talking about vehicles... I can't imagine who thought that making the weakest point of the Ghost 1 shootable was going to be a good idea. Moreover, the Banshee isn't a problem anymore in maps like Ascension, a single BR can kill it at range without being to hard. Small vehicles such as the Mongosse/Gungosse are not a reliable Ghost counter nor a right enemy for walking players neither. Just buff slightly the damage and health of the Mongosse and Gungosse, respectively, hide that Ghost's weak point by also making it 3 shootable and finally make the Banshee dangerous and useful again.

But, the point you have brought up is quite interesting. The unique situations I've been against a Hornet have been in custom games or in the Coagulation remake; if I recall correctly, trying to destroy it without rockets was nearly impossible, and its damage was enhanced due to the addition of missiles, which caused a huge imbalance in both, the vehicle sandbox and the weapons one. So, I kind of agree with that. I'd suggest decreasing slightly the health so that constant fire can get rid of it similar to a H2C Banshee/Ghost. Paired with that, disable missiles as they were removed for a good reason in Halo 3, or make them slower (players at both sides are already able to carry explosives). However, as long as your team has the Rocket Launcher in the map, it's somehow balanced, so the Hornet could be nerfed indirectly by increasing its ammo. I included it in the list.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3