I've been a Halo fan since Combat Evolved first came out. I've played the various campaigns combined for thousands of hours (even if Waypoint isn't keen on detecting any of my games before Reach). The more I play the missions, the less fun they become. I'm wondering what other people do to keep the campaigns fresh. Since this is a console game, modding isn't really an option. I don't feel like paying for live, so multiplayer is not an option. What can I do to make the original trilogy, ODST, and Reach campaigns feel new and interesting? Suggestions to make Forge and Firefight interesting again are also helpful.
Have you tried getting the LASO and speed run achievements? They are both very unique ways to experience the campaigns.
Have you tried getting the LASO and speed run achievements? They are both very unique ways to experience the campaigns.
Legendary runs alone are very boring to me since I end up playing the same part over and over again, and then I end up playing very slowly to begin with. It can take me hours to complete a single legendary mission, so LASO might be too hard for me.
Have you tried speed running?
Legendary runs alone are very boring to me since I end up playing the same part over and over again, and then I end up playing very slowly to begin with. It can take me hours to complete a single legendary mission, so LASO might be too hard for me.
That’s part of why LASO and speed running are fun, they fundamentally change the way you approach a level.

Take a look at Halo Completionist’s guides for LASO and speedrunning. It’s surprisingly easy to do both if you watch his guides.

Delta Halo on H2 is a good level to watch to see what I mean, since it’s so fun to do that level on both LASO and as a speed run.
That’s part of why LASO and speed running are fun, they fundamentally change the way you approach a level.

Take a look at Halo Completionist’s guides for LASO and speedrunning. It’s surprisingly easy to do both if you watch his guides.

Delta Halo on H2 is a good level to watch to see what I mean, since it’s so fun to do that level on both LASO and as a speed run.
When I play legendary, it's usually me sitting in the same room for 15 minutes slowly picking off enemies with a plasma pistol and BR because poking my head out for more than 3 seconds results in death. I eventually die anyway, making me restart the room, forcing the mission to take hours where not a single second is fun because it's slow and grindy. I'll check out that guide if it means there's a way to play Legendary (and things like LASO) in a way that isn't so slow and grindy.
Since Legendary and LASO aren't as much fun for you (I know that feel bro), try what I do:

I play on Heroic mostly and add a few skulls here and there to make things interesting. I don't know most of the skull names by heart, but making enemies throw and drop more grenades adds a new element to each play through. Also, on lower difficulties, challenge yourself to charge in first and kill everyone before they can take out your allies. Or just avoid killing grunts entirely. Challenge yourself to use only human weapons (or Covenant weapons depending on who you are playing as). Use the Famine skull so you can't rely on one trusty weapon like the shotgun when fighting the Flood, and instead have to scavenge for whatever weapon is available to you.

Skulls have been a fantastic way to change up the game each time you play and make the levels more challenging on lower difficulties.
Since Legendary and LASO aren't as much fun for you (I know that feel bro), try what I do:

I play on Heroic mostly and add a few skulls here and there to make things interesting. I don't know most of the skull names by heart, but making enemies throw and drop more grenades adds a new element to each play through. Also, on lower difficulties, challenge yourself to charge in first and kill everyone before they can take out your allies. Or just avoid killing grunts entirely. Challenge yourself to use only human weapons (or Covenant weapons depending on who you are playing as). Use the Famine skull so you can't rely on one trusty weapon like the shotgun when fighting the Flood, and instead have to scavenge for whatever weapon is available to you.

Skulls have been a fantastic way to change up the game each time you play and make the levels more challenging on lower difficulties.
I might try arbitrary challenges like that, since I don't get enjoyment out of simply increasing the difficulty. Maybe completing a whole mission only using a plasma pistol or something seems somewhat fun.

When I play legendary, it's usually me sitting in the same room for 15 minutes slowly picking off enemies with a plasma pistol and BR because poking my head out for more than 3 seconds results in death. I eventually die anyway, making me restart the room, forcing the mission to take hours where not a single second is fun because it's slow and grindy. I'll check out that guide if it means there's a way to play Legendary (and things like LASO) in a way that isn't so slow and grindy.
Speedrunning is the quickest way to do legendary for sure. It’s quite fun to skip and blow past sections you used to spend forever on.
You can also do speed runs on easy since people do them on that difficulty as well. Another option is taking a break from the campaigns for awhile and then coming back at a later time. I'd get burned out from them as well if I invested thousands of hours into the campaigns.
I suggest just taking a break from Halo for a few months or maybe even years and then playing them then. I took a super long break from Halo because of work and school, and because of the hugely negative sigma toward 343, I just didn't bother getting Halo 4 or 5 when they released. That's probably why I actually enjoyed Halo 5's campaign because I didn't look too deep into its flaws and raise hell like other people did. I just played the game and was like "cool."

You can't force yourself to like something, especially if it's something you've already enjoyed in the past before. The more you expose yourself to it, the more likely you will get bored of it. It's like booze or coffee. If you drink it every single day, you'll develop tolerance to it and it's affects will be less severe. Take a week or two off and then drink one beer and it'll knock you on your buttocks.
Skulls completely change the game. I’ve been turning on the infinite ammo skull, which allows you to just mow through some missions because by the end you can end up with two power weapons.

give yourself challenges. My wife’s favorite thing to play in the campaign is T&R with infinite ammo and exploding grunts. It’s pretty easy, even on legendary and it really hones your sniper skills. She used to never even pick it up in multiplayer because she wasn’t good at it but by the end of the mission she’s able to no scope headshot elites.
Take out sprint.
What the others have said about skulls really is the way to spice up gameplay. Having no HUD with the blind skull in H3 really made the game quite different and made me appreciate the visuals of the game a lot more while having the learn where the centre of my screen is to aim properly as an added challenge in addition to trying to figure out how much ammo I had.
The best way to keep it fresh is to play differently. Try different weapons in different areas. Look for a different pathway. Try to get somewhere you haven't been. Try using a skull or two. Mess with the AI, like try to manipulate or trick it in different ways.
I always try to easter egg hunt with every new playthrough. I just focus on different areas each time. Even though they've probably all been found, I still like to wonder "what if..."
We need an all encompassing, well constructed and diverse matchmaking experience to make Halo fresh again. That, and game mechanics that are desirable and balanced. In my opinion.