Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

How was your transition from Halo 2 to Halo 3

OP OnyXnParadisO

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Thought I'd bring up this topic, as I know I can't be the only one. For years, I was playing Halo 2 like everyone else between 2004-2007. I'm talking anywhere between 2-8 hours a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, even with a full-time job, life, etc. Never got past the high 30's in rank, if I can recall, because once you got above 35, it was all insane clans and cheaters, especially for someone like me who mainly played by myself who would join random teams out there. But there were times when I would meet that cool group of friends from a previous match and we would go on a 14 hour MP binge, laughing it up, talking trash, becoming a team, etc.

Anyways, my excitement went through the roof when I heard about Halo 3 being release. It was probably one of those excitements in life where I could just envision the next 2-3 years having the same amount of fun in Halo 2, now with Halo 3. I made sure I pre-ordered and ended up at Best Buy for the midnight release. I must have gotten there 3 hours early to get my place to get a copy. And this line was wild - free drinks, huge lines, people dressed like Master Chief, with real costumes... just insane fun stuff. A few buddies of mine came to wait in line with me and couldn't grasp why I was waiting 3 hours in line for Halo 3. They were gamers, but not the Halo 2 gamer at all, so they had no clue how my life was with Halo 2 - the friends, the sometimes 2 hour-long hide the bomb matches that would never end, custom games, the friends, the laughs, the kills, the everything. As we waited patiently in line, I talked up my experiences with other Halo fans in line as well as my friends, all waiting for midnight to hit the clock.

Midnight hits, I grab the game, me and my friends race home. At this point, my friends are pumped because of all the stories and the great MP I've been telling them about for years... now they finally get a chance to get on it and check out the fun times for themselves. We get home, pop the game in, the lobbies are PACKED, everything is ready...

The match starts... and I swear, no joke. within the FIRST 10 SECONDS, I knew Halo 3 was sh*t. I could feel it, I could see it, I could envision the years to come... it was truly sh*t. My friends were like, "umm, huh?" "I thought this was the sickest game alive?", they said. I explained to them right then and there, Halo 3 was sh*t. I turned it off! Eventually I turned it on a few days later and played for maybe an hour, but it only confirmed what I had already knew within the first 10 seconds... Halo 3 was just not Halo 2. And I even tried going back, even times up to 3-4 days, forcing myself to play the MP, but it just never held true to the Halo 2 style.

Call it the new engine, physics, the motions, movements, weapons, gameplay, playlists, whatever it was... the flow was gone. It played so much different than what I was used to that I completely abandoned the game. I expected new weapons, new game types, etc... but the changes were too significant for me to even consider this the next evolution in Halo gaming.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt this way transitioning to Halo 3, due to the immense interest in the MC collection, but the old Halo 2 heads are getting pumped up again... and I can understand why. The Halo 2 + Xbox Live experience is still to this day, the greatest MP ever made. Every MP that I play is always using Halo 2 as the measuring stick. I hope this new generation can see it first-hand now and understand why it was so loved by many.

I doubt it will be the same experience, nor will it have the millions of people who played it back in the day, since it's not a true dedicated Halo 2 release, but even if it captures a 20% of what it was, it will be a success no matter what. The fact that I can fire up a match on Waterworks in a few months time and play it how it played 10 years ago, excites me to no end. And I'm not the only one.

So how was your transition to Halo 3? Did you embrace it? Shutter it? Make you mad at Bungie? Because here is the point, you should never be tied to 1 game from years ago, like I am with Halo 2... because it tells you the developers changed and did not improve the experience with future releases. You should never dwell on an old game and miss it, you should always be excited and pumped for the future because the games keep getting bigger... but if this many people are pumped up about Halo 2 coming back, what does that say for Halo 3? Reach? Halo 4? A lot, my friends... a lot. Thankfully 343 with Halo 4 took a step in the right direction for a change and is committed to bringing back the quality that is Halo MP with future releases. Still not there yet, but here's hoping they really bring that beloved MP back strong in Halo 5.

*Sorry for the rant, but I had time to kill!*
I didn't think Halo 3 was bad. The map design wasn't as good as Halo 2's, and the equipment was dumb, but it was still fun.

The campaign was a slap in the face though. As awesome as some of the mission design was, the way the made the Brutes was terrible, and the story was garbage. Civil war and the Arbiter were basically thrown out the window.
That's an interesting view, OP. Mine is kind of opposite. I popped in Halo 3 on release day along with my cousin and we grinded MP all night. I still remember my first match on Construct. I was destroying people left and right because, in my opinion, the gameplay wasn't drastically different. The base speed was a bit slower and the BR was now projectile, but all those years of Halo 2 proved a smooth transition into Halo 3 for me.

I'll always favor Halo 2, but I still had great experiences on Halo 3 aside from the horrible netcode at times. I'm also surprised you said Halo 4 was a step in the right direction, being a Halo 2 fanatic. I despise Halo 4.
Quote:
I'll always favor Halo 2, but I still had great experiences on Halo 3 aside from the horrible netcode at times. I'm also surprised you said Halo 4 was a step in the right direction, being a Halo 2 fanatic. I despise Halo 4.
Idk, something about Halo 4 just brings me back. I didn't even want to try it out with the past experiences of Halo 3 and Reach, etc... but I decided to try it just to see if I could relive the glory days and to much of my surprise, I could. I met a cool group of friends on there and played a lot... I'm talking hours on end... but unfortunately, I started 6-7 months too late and caught the tail end of the "good days" of Halo 4... until 343 gradually changed everything a year ago, new maps came out, and it just got lame. People stopped playing, I stopped playing. I may jump on some Halo 4 this week just to check it out to see what's different, but yea, I think the style, the maps, "some" of the weapons, bring me back to those Halo 2 days. It seems like I can do a lot of things, and have my own style of play like in Halo 2... and the engine and physics aren't bad either. The problem with 343 is they are always trying to "balance" everything. I love a balanced game, but at the same time, don't change anything if it's working well. Just update a few things here and there, add new maps, weapons... but when they start changing the maps around to "balance" things out, change playlists, remove playlists, changing the spawn of weapons, etc... it's just bad news and always gets players to stop playing. I know I stopped playing a year ago... and so did many others... the numbers were way down. Remember when Halo 2 maps came out, they rarely, if ever changed the way you played, the way the maps played... they kept it the same, and that's why so many people were playing it 2 years later...new maps, few weapon changes, but the same ol gameplay that we loved.

For me, Halo 3 was the example... if ain't broke, don't fix it... and honestly, I think my problem with Halo 3 was the engine change.
My transition was kinda unique since I didn't get Xbox Live until January 2009. But I had one nevertheless. Honestly I found Halo 3 really cool because of all the stuff you could do. I had played through the Halo 2 campaign with my cousins and played multiplayer with them on splitscreen. The campaign was reall fun even by myself since it was the only thing I could do on my own without people. (Since there were no mp bots -_-)

However I had a lot of grievances with it. My favorite little weapon the plasma pistol had been turned into a weak monstrosity. In addition compared to Halo 2 the weapon sound effects were terrible. I don't think I've heard a game with suck weak weapon sounds. Especially the change between the Halo 2 and 3 BRs. Once I bought the Halo 2 Limited Edition off eBay it became even more apparent. Also it didn't have Blood Gulch which really disappointed me because it was my favorite map when I played Halo 2 and Valhalla was just a shadow of its predecessor.

In the end though I loved Halo 3 because of custom games despite its many many faults, but once 2010 came around and people were anticipating Reach and had moved to Modern Warfare 2 and I had my fill of custom games I was just tired of it. I still am tired of it. I got my $60 worth out of it. I didn't like a lot of things about it, but because of customs and the fact that my dear old dad got it for me on Christmas it has a special place in my heart.

That said, my transition to Reach was so much better. Better custom game options by far. Improved Forge. Customizable Firefight. Much more fun matchmaking experiences (unless you're competitive I guess). Fixed Halo 3's horrible melee system. Added in armor abilities which actually were useable unlike Halo 3's crappy equipment. The warthog actually reflected the skill of the driver. Plus the Scorpion, Wraith and Banshee were actually in matchmaking for once. There were also real big team maps unlike Halo 3 with only Sandtrap and Avalanche. Reach still ranks as best Halo in my book. Even Halo 2 a bit. Which makes me sad that it won't be in even though I understand why it isn't.
I knew Halo 3 was going to be different from Halo 2 from the start, and enjoyed it immensely during it's golden years. It was the perfect blend of what made Halo 2 great combined with a few minor innovations that gave the game it's own distinct flavor. That's the great thing about Halo CE through 3. The later entry's aren't necessarily better than the past entries, they improve in some areas like graphics and such, but Halo CE, 2, and 3 have their own style of gameplay that is timeless and unique. This is why the Master Chief collection is being made, because 343 knows that each Halo game was special in it's own way in style, gameplay, and overall feel.
I was always a Big Team Battle guy. It's all I ever played. Plus, I loved all the big maps... Big Team Battle neutral bomb or CTF with 16 players... it would get so wild and competitive at times... but those days are gone... 343 needs to bring back BTB matches. Slayer is ok, but I'm old school objective... and there is no objective in Slayer games... just can't stand them.

Halo 4 had some decent slayer because the maps were really good and very Halo 2-esque. But again, Halo 2's maps and playlists had it all. Hopefully BTB is back in Halo 2 finally, so I can relive those epic moments.
I didn't play online multiplayer (ISP is terrible where iam), but I generally enjoyed halo 3 a lot better than h2.

h3 had its plot problems, but compared to h2's chief half of the story, it was much more enjoyable than "chase the prophet then chase the OTHER prophet". I generally liked all of h3's levels except the filler highway, whereas I felt half of halo 2's levels could be summed up as their intro cutcene followed by the level that consisted of the rest of the '2nd half' of the plot arc.

My precious AR was back, and I somehow actually started to like the BR (i dunno why, everyone seems to hate the h3 br), and it honestly felt more like halo 1 to me.

I'll never understand why people loved raging sumo spunges that were immune to shotguns. While the halo 3 brutes weren't quite right either, they were much less aggravating to fight.

I also liked how my halo 3 disc has never warn out, while my halo 2 one can no longer load the gravemind level.
Quote:
Thankfully 343 with Halo 4 took a step in the right direction
No.

Anyways, I didn't play Halo 2 before Halo 3, but it'll be nice to revisit both games.
My transition was pretty much easy. However I felt let down by Halo 3s story, which felt short...and like..they didn't think it through. They spent all this time in Halo 2 developing the Arbiter and others as characters...and then they get shafted in Halo 3. The brutes lost whatever charm they had as being ferocious in Halo 2. Several of the characters had different voice actors, Miranda and Truth namely...I felt like both characters lost something. I didn't even feel much emotion when Johnson died, which clearly says something about its execution overall as a scene.

I just felt like the storyline was weak as a final act. But thats typical right? That kind of stuff even happens with the 3rd entry in movies. Think of return of the jedi, the ewoks. And then Alien 3, and im sure thers other examples out there.

I also didnt like the little powerups or whatever, the bubble shield and the other little things you could drop...they just felt out of place. I welcomed the return of the AR too.
I think it has a lot to do with Halo 2 being your first experience. Me, I coincidentally started playing Halo a few months or so before Halo 3 was released. I'd just bought an Xbox for Kotor and a friend told me I should pick up Halo because he heard it was good. Ended up playing a bit of Halo 1 and 2 in split screen with a buddy of mine, but my first big Halo experience was with Halo 3. Think it had a lot to do with being my first Xbox Live experience as well.

Look, I'm not saying you think Halo 3 is -Yoink- because you played Halo 2. It could have been your first Halo experience and you could have hated it. I am, however, saying that even if you found Halo 3 to be very fun, there's a good chance you'd still be disappointed because you're relating it to those memories of Halo 2 and expecting the same thing, in a way. And the truth is, it's not Halo 2. That's how I am with Halo 3.
Quote:
I think it has a lot to do with Halo 2 being your first experience. Me, I coincidentally started playing Halo a few months or so before Halo 3 was released. I'd just bought an Xbox for Kotor and a friend told me I should pick up Halo because he heard it was good. Ended up playing a bit of Halo 1 and 2 in split screen with a buddy of mine, but my first big Halo experience was with Halo 3. Think it had a lot to do with being my first Xbox Live experience as well.

Look, I'm not saying you think Halo 3 is Yoink! because you played Halo 2. It could have been your first Halo experience and you could have hated it. I am, however, saying that even if you found Halo 3 to be very fun, there's a good chance you'd still be disappointed because you're relating it to those memories of Halo 2 and expecting the same thing, in a way. And the truth is, it's not Halo 2. That's how I am with Halo 3.
Halo 2 was my first Halo game, but I still liked Halo 3 (even with the disappointing campaign), but not as much as Halo 2. It was miles better than Reach and 4.
I never had a chance to really live it up in in h2 online. I capped at 35 in Halo 3 with randoms. I played with friends time to time, but I just couldn't get past 35 on my own. That goes for lone wolves. I think I've gotten better and matured more, but I never went back to try and improve my rank since the recent halos released. I went back once and was noscoping like crazy lol.

My transition from h2 and h3 was nice. I didn't go in saying this has to be halo 2, but expected it to be halo and it was halo. The edition of equipment for the 1st time was awesome.
"Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
Donquixote Doflamingo
Yay! Someone else who also hates Halo 3 because it is the farthest from the awesomeness of Halo 2!

Anyway, I was unable to get an Xbox 360 and Xbox live until 2012, so I had to wait a long time to play the 360 Halo games. I too was so excited to finally get Halo 3, but soon after I started playing it, I became VERY disappointed.

While the campaign was fun and I liked the ideas of forge, theater, and equipment, I was most disappointed in the dumbed down super slow pace of the game with all the useless weapons and vehicles in the sandbox.

My biggest complaint against Halo 3 is how they decided to nerf every old weapon and vehicle to hell for the sake of 'balance'. Everything that wasn't new was ruined because of all the complaints of stuff being 'overpowered' in the previous games.

The BR fired slow, and had such high spread that you may as well say it is truly a 5-shot kill with lucky 4-shots sporadically. The AR had its magazine size cut in half for the non-existent increased accuracy that was advertised. The Sniper Rifle was given the most awkward recoil system I have ever seen in a video game, that did not automatically reset and caused the shot to go a foot above where you were actually aiming the reticule. The plasma pistol lost nearly all tracking abilities and wasted ammo for no reason other than 'balance', at least it could now EMP vehicles. The Magnum was the most forgettable version in the series, with both no scope AND a smaller clip with a pitifully slow fire rate. The Rockets could no longer home in on vehicles. The Energy Sword lost all its range, had a pitifully slow swing rate, along with the ammo nerf. The Shotgun had to now be shoved down players throats just to pop their shields. You could no longer duel wield the needler, the only thing that made it useful back then. The Bruteshot was reduced to a 4-shot kill from a 2-shot. The Scorpion tank lost its co-axel minigun, which was made into a turret that is almost never used. The other vehicles moved as slow as the tank did in Halo 2. And the Ghost's fire rate was halved.

Everything in the game felt slow and clunky as result, combined with the slower base movement speed ( required so the projectile system could be somewhat used. I hate that BS), the 10-15 second health regen time (not shields), and the nerfed grenade capacity just made Halo 3 just too slow and clunky for me to enjoy anything outside of campaign. The ultra nerfed sandbox made the MP trash in my opinion, all for the sake of 'balance'.

Every game after Halo 3 to this day has been better IMO, as they did not nerf everything to hell, but rather rebuffed it to usefulness.

And for some reason, Halo 4 brings me the most memories from Halo 2 more so than any other non-Halo 2 game. I know the Hitscan BR and overall faster pace has something to do with it.

-SMARTAN 427
I am obviously very biased towards Halo 2 and against Halo 3. Reading my own post I know it sounds awful but its how I feel. I cringe and nearly vomit every time I see someone say the next Halo should be like Halo 3. If anything it should be like CE or especially Halo 2.
I'm right there with you OP... I thought the game felt horrible.

My spartan felt like he was sliding everywhere. The battle ruffle felt horrible, never mind the rest of the weapons. Level design was pretty lame, though a few of the dlc maps were OK. I think I've played maybe a dozen games of h3 between my previous gamer tag and this one. Grenades were terrible etc. Customs are always fun... But I couldn't get into online play at all.

Oddly enough... I really liked reach. Bloom and wonky game mechanics aside, I looked the way it moved. It took my back to the weight a spartan had in h1 and 2. But after the TU I could never play normal reach again, and the fractured online community was tough to deal with.

Now halo 4... I thought it was OK at first. Didn't like the maps much overall, and thought the weapons felt a little off. Then I come back after a bit of a break and I'm thrilled with the weapon tuning. I'm still peeved at the grenade counts and the idea that I can't recover nades from vanquished foes without a perk, but I'm digging the gun play a lot now.
I enjoyed Halo 3 much more. My first day in matchmaking was glorious. All the hours I invested in Halo 2 I invested two fold in Halo 3 ... and still playing to this day.
I never got to experience Halo 2 multiplayer properly so I suppose the transition from the games in general was super easy for me.
I like all the Halo games. Some more than others, but let's face it: they're Halo games; they aren't that different. Most normal people couldn't tell the difference between either one of them. I mean, we can obviously, but I think people take it too far with their allegiances. To suggest one game is brilliant while the other is offensively horrible is bit much.

I've noticed that peoples' favorite Halo game is either the one they started with, or the one at which they are the best.
Which isn't true for everybody, but I've seen it a lot. Even in myself. Combat Evolved was my first and favorite. And whether or not I like Reach and Halo 4 depends directly on how well I play. If I play great, it's because I am good. If I play poorly, it's because the game is poorly designed.
I realized a couple things when it came out.
First of all, I was better in this game. Not sure why - it could be all the new blood - but I seemed to kick major donk in H3 compared to how in H2 I would pretty much get scalped every game.

Then I realized that if I shot someone in the head with a sniper rifle, they wouldn't do a back flip.

I realized that emblems didn't take up 30 percent of your armor and I was little bummed out.

The fact that every player, vehicle, and object looked like they were made of cheap korean plastic despite being in the middle of a galactic war bugged me, especially compared to Halo 2's rough and gritty look.

Vehicles were much better done and more fun to play around with and equipment was interesting, especially for customs.

A LOT more little kids were playing in Halo 3 along with the way-too-serious college stoner types.

Last but not least the campaign had great cutscenes and a few epic moments but most of the time you were just punching and shooting what looked like goofy gorillas with piranha heads, wearing ill-fitting Power Ranger armor. They weren't threatening, just annoying, and they all sounded like Sylvester Stallone talking and grunting into a plastic cup. The most threatening of their species would either A. Drop Bubble Shields and hope you get close enough to shoot with their Fuel Rod Gun or B. Charge you violently with a GravHammer.
Not to mention their "special ops" teams had the brilliant idea that being invisible must mean they need to run straight towards you and shoot.

343 can do a lot better than a clone of this game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2