Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

How well is the ranking system working?

OP Hokabuki

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I haven't tried to play MCC in quite a while, mostly because I was tired of fighting the numerous bugs. Is the ranking system working since they reset ranks and added ranking to a few other playlists? If not, what issues have you experienced?
A lot better then before
A lot better then before
That's not saying much.
A lot better then before
That's not saying much.
At least they are working.
Hokabuki wrote:
I haven't tried to play MCC in quite a while, mostly because I was tired of fighting the numerous bugs. Is the ranking system working since they reset ranks and added ranking to a few other playlists? If not, what issues have you experienced?
For me the ranks are working about 95-98% of the time. Considering they were not working at all before the April CU, this is a huge leap forward.
Hokabuki wrote:
For me the ranks are working about 95-98% of the time. Considering they were not working at all before the April CU, this is a huge leap forward.
This. After bravo said they tightened matching based on rank, I haven't had any games matched up against really high levels.

only once or twice as a rank 12 in team slayer have I gone up against 20+. Mostly, they are around my rank.

been hearing that some people are still getting matched up unevenly though, and while I personally haven't expierenced it, it wouldn't surprise me at all .
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. While I'm working to provide some additional details on things like ranks, quitting, and more, it'd be extremely helpful if you continued to share your experiences with the ranking system in this thread. Skill matching has been tightened across all ranked playlists, but we're still seeing some reports of high rank disparities, so it'd be helpful to get some additional info, such as:

Playlist(s) this occurred in
Your gamertag (if it is different from the account you're posting on)
Were you searching in a party? If so, was the max rank within a reasonable range of your highest ranked player?

Thanks all! Appreciate you taking the time to post and provide feedback.

Bravo
Hey Brav,

Ive been pleasantly surprised with how the ranking and matchmaking has been implemented and changed since the last CU, but I have one major complaint: teams don't get matched up with other teams. I've been on both sides of this - as a player searching by himself and as a player going in with a team of 5. Let me tell you, while playing with a team is always much more fun, going in by myself has been horrendous. I constantly get put into games with a team of 3+ players on the opposing squad, and with the extra communication and nature of playing as a team, they destroy us (if they're any good at all). Please work on matching teams with teams, and matching lone players with lone players. This is how the other Halos operated, from what I can remember.
I have found the ranking system to be a great improvement, that has brought back the biggest thing that adds replayablity to halo, competitive gameplay! I haven noticed alot more close games, and when searching a full party i notice we get matched against full parties but when i search alone it is rare for me to match against a full party, I don't know if this is intentional within the system or an accident but either way it makes for a lot more evenly matched games and my enjoyment of MCC has increased substantially. I am actually excited to play again!
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. While I'm working to provide some additional details on things like ranks, quitting, and more, it'd be extremely helpful if you continued to share your experiences with the ranking system in this thread. Skill matching has been tightened across all ranked playlists, but we're still seeing some reports of high rank disparities, so it'd be helpful to get some additional info, such as:

Were you searching in a party? If so, was the max rank within a reasonable range of your highest ranked player?

Bravo
So is this now the "official" feedback thread?
tranquiI wrote:
Hey Brav,

Ive been pleasantly surprised with how the ranking and matchmaking has been implemented and changed since the last CU, but I have one major complaint: teams don't get matched up with other teams. I've been on both sides of this - as a player searching by himself and as a player going in with a team of 5. Let me tell you, while playing with a team is always much more fun, going in by myself has been horrendous. I constantly get put into games with a team of 3+ players on the opposing squad, and with the extra communication and nature of playing as a team, they destroy us (if they're any good at all). Please work on matching teams with teams, and matching lone players with lone players. This is how the other Halos operated, from what I can remember.
This right here. I always find teams running 4s, even tho i search solo or in 2s (i use my other acc 4 ranked play atm)
its working great for me...i haven't gotten dominated in a while and I'm winning closer games than before. also people are not quitting like they used to.
tranquiI wrote:
Hey Brav,

Absolutely something that the team is working on for a future update. Thanks for the post!
MAX2107 wrote:
Quote:

Bravo
The title and designation of the thread is far less important than the helpful info that will undoubtedly be found within, but we can certainly call it that if you'd like :) I'm simply joining what's already been started by you fine folk.
Maestro SW wrote:
its working great for me...i haven't gotten dominated in a while and I'm winning closer games than before. also people are not quitting like they used to.
Well u r lucky u rnt a high level. I found Arsenal ATX xDrac Baylor From H3 n Dcnut's team of 4 7 times in less than 2 hours n yes we got destroyed
Quote:
tranquiI wrote:
Hey Brav,

Absolutely something that the team is working on for a future update. Thanks for the post!
MAX2107 wrote:
Quote:

Bravo
The title and designation of the thread is far less important than the helpful info that will undoubtedly be found within, but we can certainly call it that if you'd like :) I'm simply joining what's already been started by you fine folk.
I agree, the content is more important than the title, but I figured renaming the title might attract more players, knowing that 343i is looking closely at it.
Quote:

Bravo
The biggest fault with how ranks function at the moment is matching with full teams while searching solo or with one other partner. For example, I was matched with what I would assume was a party of five (they all were using the same clan tags) of ranks in the 40's while being between 10-15 at the time.

Playlists this occurred in: H2A, Team Slayer
GT: Same as name
Searching with one other member in party. Reasonable range based on my current rank would've been within 7-ish.

As I said, in both cases, the opposing team was a full party with similar ranks in the low 40 range.
I have gone down in rank after a win. Opposing team was down to 1 player at the end of the game.

The bug seems to behave similar to what happened in the Halo 4 Top 200 ladder when part (not all) of the opposing team quits out. I suspect it is ignoring the skill values for the players that quit, throwing off the post-game rank calculation.
Quote:

Bravo
I've played with teams of 4 (highest skill usually around 25) and have been put up against 49/50 ranked players on several occasions in the standard H2A playlist.

Having beaten these players I expected a bit of a rank boost from 1/2 but I guess that's intentional as this ranking system is nothing like H3s where you could get a 50 in like 28 matches.
Thanks for checking in, Brav.

Im hoping ranks and associated skill based matchmaking will be coming soon to other playlists, like H: CE, H2C, and H3. It seems like ranks are starting to work well in h2a, and they'd be very useful in the game specific playlists - since many folks like me have dramatically different skill levels from game to game, and that makes ranks and matchmaking not work well for me in the TS cross game playlist. I.e. Within the TS playlist I crush people in hCE but get crushed in the other games where I'm weaker.

Thanks for for the work you guys have done to try and fix this game in the past months.
Quote:

Bravo
Bravo. If we get paired with uneven matches in the future, would you like us to post a screen shot for you.

I know the biggest problem I had before the tightening is that there would be 2 lvl 26+ teams going at it against each other and I would be a random level 4 thrown to the pack of wolves. Then get hate messages cause I only got 6 kills and 9 deaths.

The other sanario I had was a group of random 1-7s would go against a premade team of 24 + and get rofl-stomped.

So I'm looking forward to trying out the new fix and improving with my skill set to the point that I can compete against the elites.

So as stated. if I get paired in a wild pairing like it was 5 days ago. Would you like me to screen shot it?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2