Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

How well is the ranking system working?

OP Hokabuki

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I played when the ranking system first released, and I never had much of an issue with random matching. A little here and there but not too much. My biggest issue was that the skill levels were completely random regardless of the level (not anything that can be done except to give it time). That coupled with 4 randoms vs 4 in a party made the game very frustrating at times. However I gave it a week and now I have noticed much more even skill in my games. There is still always one dude on my team that goes 2-12, but I've almost gotten used to it.

The biggest issue is still just the teams vs randoms, just as many other people mentioned. But I'm noticing significant reduction in people quitting, games are more even, and I typically don't feel completely outclassed quite as often anymore. Even the games where we play teams I am noticing the score is closer to 50-38. I've had more games end 49-50 I the past week then I have since launch. Still a ways to go, but hands down better
In my opinion, the ranking system is in a pretty good state at the moment.

I am currently somewhere near a level 30 and I will only ever match teams within a few levels of my own rank. Yes, the search times are a bit longer once you hit the twenties and thirties, but that is to be expected if you want even matches. I'm consistently playing the same few teams of good players.

Two thumbs up. This ranking update is the single best implementation 343 has ever made.
It's working well for the most part. However...

https://account.xbox.com/en-US/screenshot/0d354017-ed14-4a2e-8972-464cf1e13b92?gamertag=Willko&scid=77290100-225e-4768-9373-98164430a9f8

was a bit of an anomaly I ran into the other night. Needless to say, my team lost.

EDIT: For some reason, the hyperlink didn't work, so I had to past the URL. The hyperlink kept changing the '&' when I saved it
@Bravo will we get ranked FFA soon? Thank you for your time

I am currently somewhere near a level 30 and I will only ever match teams within a few levels of my own rank. Yes, the search times are a bit longer once you hit the twenties and thirties, but that is to be expected if you want even matches. I'm consistently playing the same few teams of good players.

Two thumbs up. This ranking update is the single best implementation 343 has ever made.
I agree, this is by far the best update they have performed.

I played Friday and Saturday night with no problems at all. BTB, Team Slayer and H2A. Matchmaking was fast, and VERY well matched in Team Slayer and H2A. :)

Usually between 5-10 rank levels depending on how long it takes to match with other players. Longer it takes, higher the numeric difference will be. That is exactly how it should work. Now if we can get ranks into BTB that would be perfect.
I have had a much better experience with the ranks and gameplay in general since the latest patch. However, I have not tried going in with a party.
It appears to be working much better than it was before. I've played maybe 25 ranked games or so in H2A and TS and it seems to be working alright. However I've seen people streaming at higher levels and the low population seems to be hindering teams at levels around 25 and above. Games apparently become very difficult to find.
I'm consistently getting destroyed by people in the same rank as me, so I don't think they're all that accurate.
SaintCT wrote:
It appears to be working much better than it was before. I've played maybe 25 ranked games or so in H2A and TS and it seems to be working alright. However I've seen people streaming at higher levels and the low population seems to be hindering teams at levels around 25 and above. Games apparently become very difficult to find.
I am right around level 10 in Team slayer and am being matched up with a lot of the same people back-to-back. Idk if it's low population or if I'm being matched up with people in my region to give better ping.
Hokabuki wrote:
I haven't tried to play MCC in quite a while, mostly because I was tired of fighting the numerous bugs. Is the ranking system working since they reset ranks and added ranking to a few other playlists? If not, what issues have you experienced?
Much better. It's not perfect, it still has some bugs. Overall, it's alot of fun. I recommend trying it out, especially with a teammate you know.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Hokabuki wrote:
I haven't tried to play MCC in quite a while, mostly because I was tired of fighting the numerous bugs. Is the ranking system working since they reset ranks and added ranking to a few other playlists? If not, what issues have you experienced?
Much better. It's not perfect, it still has some bugs. Overall, it's alot of fun. I recommend trying it out, especially with a teammate you know.
I have yet to try playing with a small party. With a party before, mics didn't work, people kept getting dropped, and I never was able to actually get into a game. Is party play improved as well?
I'm still getting 3v4 games. It is definitely hindering the ranking system by skewing the magnitude of a win or loss.
@Brav, this isn't' exactly what you asked, but it's an important note about how ranking is working.

There is a significant quitting issue in cross game TS playlist, mostly at the HIGHER ranks, not the lower ones. Parties of 4 roll together to try and control the vote to ensure it's only one game (e.g. H3) and will hard-reset their XBOne when the lose the vote. If the whole party doesn't hard-restart after losing the vote, at least one guy often does, resulting in 3v4 or 2v4 games. This behavior doesn't register as a quit (when clearly it should -- as soon as the lobby is full and teams are selected, anyone leaving because they lose the vote or don't like the rankings they see on the other team should receive a quit and a loss).

Several solutions have been proposed for this, including:

1) Breaking the TS playlist into 3 game-specific playlists.
2) Penalizing this behavior as a quit, and also randomizing the map selection in the cases of a tie, rather than the "left" one always winning.
The ranking system is all over the place in Australia. People with many different ranks match up all together. Guessing due to the low population of players the system just try's to find enough people to make a game regardless of rank.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. While I'm working to provide some additional details on things like ranks, quitting, and more, it'd be extremely helpful if you continued to share your experiences with the ranking system in this thread. Skill matching has been tightened across all ranked playlists, but we're still seeing some reports of high rank disparities, so it'd be helpful to get some additional info, such as:

Playlist(s) this occurred in
Your gamertag (if it is different from the account you're posting on)
Were you searching in a party? If so, was the max rank within a reasonable range of your highest ranked player?

Thanks all! Appreciate you taking the time to post and provide feedback.

Bravo
I am so glad I stumbled on this thread. I think it would be awesome if we could get it stickied. It has been a little confusing to me with where exactly I should post feedback. The link you gave here. Led me here.
Then there is this thread that you posted a link to in the latest community update: Report a Matchmaking Bug. Finally it looks like you can also go here: the Halo:MCC thread in the Support section.
Which is the best place for us to post? I tried bringing the bad link to your attention on your twitter, but you didn't respond to the tweet. I know you guys are busy, and I appreciate the ranking system we have so far. I just think we need to have something a little more consolidated and a clear cut idea of where we can go and give our feedback.

There is a big logjam in the 15-25 range, lots of variance in skill. Searching w/o a team seems to make it a coinflip on how your squad shapes up, and it makes things really slow going.

I'm not saying H3's ranks are better than H2's- but it was easier to rise out of the muck without putting in 100+ games, in my experience. It would probably shorten times at the higher end too, particularly since we don't have 2006 populations here.
@Bravo will we get ranked FFA soon? Thank you for your time
Im still waiting for an answer

There is a big logjam in the 15-25 range, lots of variance in skill. Searching w/o a team seems to make it a coinflip on how your squad shapes up, and it makes things really slow going.

I'm not saying H3's ranks are better than H2's- but it was easier to rise out of the muck without putting in 100+ games, in my experience. It would probably shorten times at the higher end too, particularly since we don't have 2006 populations here.
I'm starting to see the same kind of thing with a high variance of skill around 15ish. I'm not sure what the cause of it is but my theory is that it takes more games to rank up or down.
@Bravo: Do we have ranks in H2 Classic yet? that's why I bought this game. last I checked it was only H2A and im not playing H2 with an assault rifle SORRY.

EDIT: Look at my gamertag, you paid for that. Microsoft refunded me my day one digital; purchase and I changed my tag that day. Do you like? I love telling people I play with how bad you -Yoinked!- up and almost everyone agrees you dropped the ball HARD.

I know you wont respond, this is just on my chest, gotta let her go!

EDIT2: #"Exactly as it shipped, 10 years ago"
The skill matching is still an issue. I am a 17 who still gets matched up with players below 10 and more. It does not happen often but it still happens.

The larger issue I believe is the deranking when winning and deranking when being dropped from the game. I only play the Halo 4 playlist, and I very rarely play in a group. It would be nice to have some type of fix for this.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2