Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

I don't get it. Why do people dislike CE/2/2A?

OP KidJaydenENY

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
The halo community is spoiled but even more entitled. I think a 343 employee even said this at one time..
-snip-
The halo community is spoiled and entitled. Nothing will ever be good enough.

343 gave us MCC...literally the entire Halo legacy in one game and kids complain. It's not us old timers it's the millenial generation in general.
...you can't be serious.
Hey heres a broken game! Be happy!

What? You don't like it? Bah!! Entitled millennial.....
The halo community is spoiled but even more entitled. I think a 343 employee even said this at one time..
-snip-

343 gave us MCC...literally the entire Halo legacy in one game and kids complain. It's not us old timers it's the millenial generation in general.
...you can't be serious.
Hey heres a broken game! Be happy!

What? You don't like it? Bah!! Entitled millennial.....
Especially considering they barely even worked on the game to begin with. They outsourced most of it to ****** 3rd-party devs instead if doing it themselves.
There’s some weight to that argument but it can also be argued to be incorrect.

1) 343 has a vision for their games. They also have guidelines set by Microsoft that they have to meet, and tgey have to do so with a set amount of funding and time. They also face the difficult task of modernising Halo and keeping it relevant in an ever changing FPS market. To have some fans turn around and say 343’s efforts (often which take years of hard work to make) are bad must be painful for them to read, especially when fans claim they can do it better.

2) The fanbase is divided and suffers what I like to call ‘Sonic Syndrome’ (if you’re familiar with Sonic the Hedgehog’s games, you’ll know). Because of the different playstyles from the classics and the modern era, both parties claim the other is wrong, making it extremely difficult to please both.

3) The different playstyles. Basically similar to above, this served to fragment the fanbase. However, Halo needs to modernise to stay relevant. Whether Halo 4 or Halo 5 did it right is up to you but it cannot stay the same forever. One must also note that straying too far from a formula can also make things worse, which has lead to the fragmented fanbase.

Like I said, arguments for both and to a degree, 343 do have a point. Try to think of a Halo game that could please both fanbases, grow the franchise and not alienate either of the fanbases. It’s certainly not an easy thing to do.
Eh...i still think the community just likes to complain to be honest.

Give me a reason to complain and I WILL!

1. Achievements not unlocking.
2. Co-op play randomly freezes.
3. Theatre is broke.
4. A map creator has to be online just to download the maps for custom games (how the hell do you have this issue in the mcc when this wasn't a thing in H4?).
5. The menu screen can lose its mind and duplicate itself.
6. Half the time I have to restart the game after finishing a game because the lobby won't reset
7. Lobby chat is rarely ever seen because it won't properly Work.
8. You can't use join in progress (which can screw over custom game nights, especially when the servers don't cooperate).
9. Post game stats can be inaccurate (love the ones showing I killed my team mates 20X).
10. Dedicated servers aren't actual dedicated servers.

the list can go on and on from the numerous bugs and glitches to just poor design choices in general like the cross play playlist.

so sure, you're right, 343 have us the mcc, they also gave us one of the most broken collection of games I've ever seen. What happened to their statement "play it like you did x years ago"? Hard to do when it doesn't play the same 👍 I mean why are pc ports on a console(another poor design choice)?

"Old timer" this, "millenial" that, smh no one cares. If you think millenials do nothing but complain, I'd argue they actually have standards 👍 Don't give people junk and they won't complain. To me it's perfectly justified to call out this collection after forking up the 60$ only to have it partly function.
The real question is how does any game other than H3 get chosen when the majority of the players in the match are H3 fanatics?
Simple answer for that: they don't!
Then how do people come up with these stories about CE or H2 getting chosen, then 70% of the players in the match end up quitting, therefore proving almost everyone in the match is an H3 fanatic? How did CE/H2 get
The real question is how does any game other than H3 get chosen when the majority of the players in the match are H3 fanatics?
Then how do people come up with these stories about CE or H2 getting chosen, then 70% of the players in the match end up quitting, therefore proving almost everyone in the match is an H3 fanatic? How did CE/H2 get chosen?
The stories are true about CE and H2 getting picked, but that happens only once every 10-15 matches in the cross playlists and once they get picked, the H3 fanatics cancels out the votes by quitting the matches. That's why I responded with that statement. Because it's almost impossible to play other halo games other than 3 and playlists like BTB and TS are out of the question for CE and H2 fans. I always end up playing those games in their own playlists because at least there I am guaranteed to play the game modes and maps I want to play than h3 BTB on standoff for the 10th match in a row.
Then how do people come up with these stories about CE or H2 getting chosen, then 70% of the players in the match end up quitting, therefore proving almost everyone in the match is an H3 fanatic? How did CE/H2 get chosen?
The stories are true about CE and H2 getting picked, but that happens only once every 10-15 matches in the cross playlists and once they get picked, the H3 fanatics cancels out the votes by quitting the matches. That's why I responded with that statement. Because it's almost impossible to play other halo games other than 3 and playlists like BTB and TS are out of the question for CE and H2 fans. I always end up playing those games in their own playlists because at least there I am guaranteed to play the game modes and maps I want to play than h3 BTB on standoff for the 10th match in a row.
You may be right about BTB, but I play TS a lot and I get CE and H2 pretty often. There's always the occasional match where everyone but me votes H3, but apart from that, the TS playlist has a relatively equal chance to play any game in there, apart from H2A, because it barely shows up on the voting screen.
the spring patch for mcc is inbound.
Get excited instead of complaining about a commonly known fact that MCC is bugged.
People who dislike Halo CE and Halo 2 are the people who didn't grow up playing those games. They don't understand nor respect how great the games truly are.
the spring patch for mcc is inbound.
Get excited instead of complaining about a commonly known fact that MCC is bugged.
'Inbound', it should be called the 2019 patch, because that's where it's heading at this rate, I wouldn't get too excited yet.
Since adding a playlist right now would be easy like them removing halo ce 4v4 why can't they throw in a classic btb (halo ce and halo 2)
There’s some weight to that argument but it can also be argued to be incorrect.

1) 343 has a vision for their games. They also have guidelines set by Microsoft that they have to meet, and tgey have to do so with a set amount of funding and time. They also face the difficult task of modernising Halo and keeping it relevant in an ever changing FPS market. To have some fans turn around and say 343’s efforts (often which take years of hard work to make) are bad must be painful for them to read, especially when fans claim they can do it better.

2) The fanbase is divided and suffers what I like to call ‘Sonic Syndrome’ (if you’re familiar with Sonic the Hedgehog’s games, you’ll know). Because of the different playstyles from the classics and the modern era, both parties claim the other is wrong, making it extremely difficult to please both.

3) The different playstyles. Basically similar to above, this served to fragment the fanbase. However, Halo needs to modernise to stay relevant. Whether Halo 4 or Halo 5 did it right is up to you but it cannot stay the same forever. One must also note that straying too far from a formula can also make things worse, which has lead to the fragmented fanbase.

Like I said, arguments for both and to a degree, 343 do have a point. Try to think of a Halo game that could please both fanbases, grow the franchise and not alienate either of the fanbases. It’s certainly not an easy thing to do.
Eh...i still think the community just likes to complain to be honest.
Plenty of times (most of the time) the game that got voted is the game I did not vote for. But I still play it and I still play to win. I don't cry and quit. Or pout and run about betraying people like a selfish little brat who didn't get his way. I didn't grow up with any of these games--I'm an old fart--so none of them are a magical part of my precious little childhood ... and maybe the age thing has something to do with it: I'm old enough to have the decency to sit down for ten minutes and play a match in a Halo game that isn't the specific Halo game I wanted without crying and having a little fit about it only to ruin it for everyone else. You know, the people who voted for it. That's how voting works. They're Halo games. They're games. Play the game for ten flippin' minutes and try not to let the tears and snot get in the way. The level of inconsiderate, entitled, selfish behavior makes me wonder if those who grew up with these games ever grew up. You think Combat Evolved has bad graphics? I grew up playing THIS.

Ok, now that the humor is out of the way, what did I just read in this thread? CE is not competitive, CE is too competitive, and CE is like CoD? CE Is the reason we have Halo and probably the only reason Xbox is still around, so show some respect! And if I find out anyone complaining about graphics plays Minecraft I'm gonna lose it! Oh wait, I'm still doing it. lol.

I think the thing with me is, I never stopped playing each game. Like, when Halo 3 released, I was still regularly playing CE & Halo 2 with friends. We would bounce around from game to game. I still do that. In fact, today I played Halo 5 & Halo 3. Yesterday I was playing CE & Halo 4. I played Reach not too long ago. So all these nuances between the games that throw people, like the wonky Battle Rifle in Halo 2 (or Halo 3, depending on which is or is not your particular Halo), melee lunge distance, swords mechanics, which grenades are nukes and which game allows how many, etc. These are all things that I've never had to adjust to except for when the games were new. I can hop into any Halo game and never feel like I lost my sea legs. Not that I don't suck, because I do ... but I still know how they all work and each always feels like second nature. (Though now that I think about it, maybe I suck because I don't stick to one game. I'm competent at all of them, but I don't devote all my Halo time to one title. But that's not important to me. It's more fun to play them all.)

And that may sound off topic, but it isn't. When it comes to CE & Halo 2, they can be rough. But once you put in the hours and find yourself on Prisoner after your teammate quits in the first 3 minutes, still holding your own, going 48-48 1v2, nothing is more exciting. No game has ever made my heart race like CE. But no game has ever broken my spirit like it either. Maybe Halo 2, I don't know. But their BTB modes are great for casual play. Especially CE. Point is, instead of quitting, put in the time, learn the ins & outs, and polish your skills (i.e, "git gud"), you'll have a good time. Then we won't have this problem because you'll be as excited for Blood Gulch as a Halo fan ought to be.

Well ... seeing as how I'm 32 years old and the Millennial generation spans 1981 to 1996 (depending on who you ask) I am a Millennial. Unless you're thinking of Generation Z (teens and early 20-somethings now), which is a common misconception.

Personally, I think the whole generation thing is nonsense. Younger kids come of age, older people crap on them about their music and how they're lazy & ruining everything, then they grow up and do the same. Every time. So I think it's a difference of maturity rather than what era one was born in ... unless that era was ridiculous like the great depression or something. That'll put some hair on your chest. lol.

Or, now that I think about it, if that era contained a magical box into which you could complain and whine endlessly and act like a spoiled little brat and get away with it ... a computer, for example. With the internet. Now we may be on to something. Perhaps it is a generational thing after all.
I don't think the problem is people necessarily disliking Combat Evolved and Halo 2, it's more so they just like Halo 3 more. What's stopping them from playing the now backwards-compatible Halo 3 or the Halo 3 playlist instead of rotational title playlists is beyond me.
In terms of campaign:
Weapon sandbox is very small in CE.
Flood randomly gets back up. Very randomly.
Lots of people hate the Library
Health kit system was annoying

Halo 2 is egregiously hard compared to all the other Halo games in the package, even Halo 3: ODST, where you're just an ODST, and not a super soldier.

In terms of multiplayer, there are weapons that clearly trump other ones. The Magnum in CE might as well be the only weapon in the game, and the Battle Rifle for Halo 2 is also amazingly good. As a result, the meta kills it for a lot of people.
Also, the original Halo 2 has infinite energy Energy Swords. I'm sure that made a few people very upset.
Delta5931 wrote:
In terms of campaign:
Weapon sandbox is very small in CE.
Flood randomly gets back up. Very randomly.
Lots of people hate the Library
Health kit system was annoying

Halo 2 is egregiously hard compared to all the other Halo games in the package, even Halo 3: ODST, where you're just an ODST, and not a super soldier.

In terms of multiplayer, there are weapons that clearly trump other ones. The Magnum in CE might as well be the only weapon in the game, and the Battle Rifle for Halo 2 is also amazingly good. As a result, the meta kills it for a lot of people.
Also, the original Halo 2 has infinite energy Energy Swords. I'm sure that made a few people very upset.
Wrong. Every weapon has a role and a niche. The Pistol is good, sure, but it's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Same with most starting precision weapons in Halo history. The CE meta is also insane. Watch this vid in its entirity to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlFkkAd2ZL8&t=313s

H2's is really good too.
Fomo wrote:
Sorry to all the CE guys but h1 is the only game other than h4 I cant stand playing. To me it’s just not competitive and just generally boring. Just my opinion
LMAO. Quote of the year right. CE not competitive. Oh boy.

Anyway, people generally don't like CE or H2 because they are bad at it, or they are really young and didn't play them in their prime. I would say the vast majority fall under one or both of those categories.
I agree here....most don't like HCE and H2 because they probably didn't play them and now aren't good at them. They don't want to take the time to learn them. They would just rather play what they know H3, which is actually the worse playing Halo in MCC, yes even worse than H4.
I have four Platinum packs... If we match in a game send me a quick message in game saying I see you or something (so I can verify we did match) and a friend request so I can gift you a pack. You don't have to keep me as a "friend" as I am a solo player.
People who dislike Halo CE and Halo 2 are the people who didn't grow up playing those games. They don't understand nor respect how great the games truly are.
I didn't grow up playing either of those games and I still think they're better than H3. Maybe CE and H2 are simply better than H3, or maybe I'm just tired of playing H3. The point is, you don't have to be around when games are released to fully respect them, it's merely a matter of preference, and since many people prefer better graphics over better gameplay, you can assume most modern gamers will dislike the first two games.
I don't think the problem is people necessarily disliking Combat Evolved and Halo 2, it's more so they just like Halo 3 more. What's stopping them from playing the now backwards-compatible Halo 3 or the Halo 3 playlist instead of rotational title playlists is beyond me.
There are definitely Halo 3 fans that dislike H2, and especially CE. There are H3 fans that will complain about how "bad" the graphics are in CE and 2 are, and state that as a legitimate reason to dislike it. Which is ridiculous to me, seeing as H3 is fairly antiquated compared to modern graphics as well.

But CE also has the biggest learning curve out of any of the Halos and can be unforgiving, so those unfamiliar with its gameplay may find it frustrating if they're playing against people who've been playing it for years, which is understandable. But that still doesn't justify the approach a lot of H3 fans have of quitting out of games and/or betraying teammates in CE.
Longtime Halo fan (since 2003-2004ish). I love CE/H2 matchmaking, they provide so much fun for me. I also love H2A, which I think has laid a strong foundation for modern day Classic Halo. What I wanna know is:

Why do people dislike playing the other Halo games on MCC?
Don't get me wrong, Halo 3 is definitely my favorite but that doesn't deter me from wanting to play the other games as well.

If you're someone who only votes H3, why don't you like playing the other classic games? All I ever see when those games win the vote is just half of the players quitting. What's pushing you away from at least giving those games a shot?
Not sure if someone mentioned this since there are so many replies, but I think it’s mainly because so many people regard Halo 3 as the best in the series. It also had the most playtime and copies sold so there is probably a larger crowd that likes 3 more than the others and/or was only exposed to 3 and not the others. Additionally, I think it makes sense to look at it as the other games being great, but 3 being so much more appealing that it’s the only one that gets chosen. I haven’t played MCC’s online MP that much, but I tried to pick H2A MP and noticed a few others picking it too. Just that we always got outvoted.
I don't think its the games themselves that people have issues with but the endless amount of unsolved issues make it impossible for anyone to be able to have fun in the game.
tuhin94 wrote:
Longtime Halo fan (since 2003-2004ish). I love CE/H2 matchmaking, they provide so much fun for me. I also love H2A, which I think has laid a strong foundation for modern day Classic Halo. What I wanna know is:

Why do people dislike playing the other Halo games on MCC?
Don't get me wrong, Halo 3 is definitely my favorite but that doesn't deter me from wanting to play the other games as well.

If you're someone who only votes H3, why don't you like playing the other classic games? All I ever see when those games win the vote is just half of the players quitting. What's pushing you away from at least giving those games a shot?
I haven’t played MCC’s online MP that much, but I tried to pick H2A MP and noticed a few others picking it too. Just that we always got outvoted.
H2AMP felt too much like Halo 4 multiplayer, just in general feel and overall artistic style.
Also, it introduced a bunch of weapons that weren't originally in Halo 2. It's "Halo 2" in name alone.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5