Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] I don't like Blur's cutscenes.

OP Aurik Kal Durin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Don't get me wrong, Blur has done some fantastic work with Halo 2: Anniversary's cutscenes, but... I still don't like them.

First of all, I don't like the remastered soundtrack for Halo 2: Anniversary... or Halo: CE Anniversary, for that matter. I played through the entire Halo: CE campaign with the updated graphics and the original soundtrack. Unfortunately, Halo 2: Anniversary doesn't let you toggle the graphics and soundtrack independently, and I suspect that it's because the music can't be changed during the cutscenes.

Furthermore, the transition between the Blur cutscenes and the actual game is pretty jarring, especially when it happens mid-mission. I would much rather they just updated the in-game cutscenes to Anniversary graphics like they did with Halo: Combat Evolved, and I very much hope they do so for Halo 3: Anniversary.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Don't get me wrong, Blur has done some fantastic work with Halo 2: Anniversary's cutscenes, but... I still don't like them.

First of all, I don't like the remastered soundtrack for Halo 2: Anniversary... or Halo: CE Anniversary, for that matter. I played through the entire Halo: CE campaign with the updated graphics and the original soundtrack. Unfortunately, Halo 2: Anniversary doesn't let you toggle the graphics and soundtrack independently, and I suspect that it's because the music can't be changed during the cutscenes.

Furthermore, the transition between the Blur cutscenes and the actual game is pretty jarring, especially when it happens mid-mission. I would much rather they just updated the in-game cutscenes to Anniversary graphics like they did with Halo: Combat Evolved, and I very much hope they do so for Halo 3: Anniversary.

Yes.

Yes.
Pretty much.
I like everything with H2A except the removal of Blow Me Away in Gravemind.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Is that the final fight before the end of the mission? I hate that they changed the music there, too; every time I get to that fight, I feel I have to switch to Classic mode because the music that plays in Anniversary mode during that encounter is crap.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Is that the final fight before the end of the mission? I hate that they changed the music there, too; every time I get to that fight, I feel I have to switch to Classic mode because the music that plays in Anniversary mode during that encounter is crap.
Yep. Once I get to that part I instantly switch to classic mode to hear it. The song is by Breaking Benjamin - Blow Me Away.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Mr Vacha wrote:
Yep. Once I get to that part I instantly switch to classic mode to hear it. The song is by Breaking Benjamin - Blow Me Away.
It'd be nice if we could just run Anniversary graphics with the Classic soundtrack at the same time, like we could in Halo: CE Anniversary. How hard would it be for them to make the classic soundtrack play during Blur's cutscenes?

I have to wonder why they ever bothered to remaster the soundtrack at all, TBH. The original work by Marty O'Donnell was perfect. Skywalker Sound's interpretation is 'meh' at best.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Mr Vacha wrote:
It'd be nice if we could just run Anniversary graphics with the Classic soundtrack at the same time, like we could in Halo: CE Anniversary. How hard would it be for them to make the classic soundtrack play during Blur's cutscenes?

I have to wonder why they ever bothered to remaster the soundtrack at all, TBH. The original work by Marty O'Donnell was perfect. Skywalker Sound's interpretation is 'meh' at best.
Agreed
Eh I didn't really care or found it an issue when I was playing through the campaign
I liked them in Halo Wars. I think for that style of game they fit very well. But for other games I think having in game cut scenes help keep the graphics and the look of the game consistent. I also like the flexible nature of in game cut scenes. So doing stuff that influences the cut scenes, adding a banshee for example.

Blur couldn't do cut scenes for a game like Halo Reach either. The fact you can change your Spartan's look means that you can't use a pre-rendered cut scene. So I think starting to use them in future titles and using them for Halo 2A and Halo 5 basically guarantees that we'll never get a customisable Spartan in the campaign again.
Blur does amazing cut scenes in my opinion, could almost make a movie just with what they do.
i like the cutscenes too :) ... but if you don't like them, thats ok for me. it's your opinion.
i also want to mention, that i like the originals more (maybe because of nostalgia). but it's like a fresh breath of air to play it with updated graphics and cutsceenes.

i can agree on the final part of high charity. i also always switch back (i think they had to change the song because of the rights to the music). i listened to it once and it was alright, but nothing close to the original. but i always like to have options :)
Mr Vacha wrote:
Mr Vacha wrote:

Can we not do that for H2A? I know we could for HA. I always assumed we had that option but never fiddled with it.
I would much rather they just updated the in-game cutscenes to Anniversary graphics like they did with Halo: Combat Evolved, and I very much hope they do so for Halo 3: Anniversary.

It looks like they started doing this but didn't finish it. Check these out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vau2Bx31bGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcR5FXggXEQ
Mr Vacha wrote:
Mr Vacha wrote:

Can we not do that for H2A? I know we could for HA. I always assumed we had that option but never fiddled with it.
Unfortunately no. The in-game options for Halo 2: Anniversary do not allow you to toggle the soundtrack and graphics independently like in Halo: CE Anniversary.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Mr Vacha wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can switch to the new graphics with the old soundtrack.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Mr Vacha wrote:

No, you can't. In Halo: CE Anniversary you can, but not in Halo 2: Anniversary.
Blur cutscenes needs to be a standard for all Halo games moving forward
Mr Vacha wrote:
Mr Vacha wrote:

If you go to Campaigns>Missions>Options, it should show whether you want the old soundtrack or new soundtrack, and the old graphics or new graphics.
Mr Vacha wrote:
Mr Vacha wrote:

If you go to Campaigns>Missions>Options, it should show whether you want the old soundtrack or new soundtrack, and the old graphics or new graphics.
Learn to read. It only displays those options for Halo: CE Anniversary. That game allows to choose graphics and soundtrack separately. Halo 2: Anniversary only gives you the option to play in Anniversary or Classic mode.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2