Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] I was accidentally AFK in competitive

OP Typhaon2393

So I was playing competitive on H4. I had to go and I just finished a match. I pressed B but forgot to fully exit out. I ended up being AFK for a few hours. I get back and I have like 10 messages of angry gamers about AFKing. If any of you guys are seeing this, it was an accident.
Accident or not, the messages are pretty warranted. It’s not hard to back out of the search queue, and if you are gonna be away for a decent amount of time turning off the Xbox will probably kick you out of the queue as well. I’m not the player to reach out and send angry messages, but after having a decent amount of games with AFK teammates there is 0 excuse for doing it.
Definitely need to make sure you back fully out of searching. But also I will say that it's sad that as long as gaming has had rank, xp, and challenge type stuff the fact that there isn't better afk detection and auto booting of afk players is quite sad. I mean why can't there be some thing that is like hey this player has hit zero buttons or better yet hey this player hasn't hit a certain number of random buttons in the past thirty seconds... Then a prompt should come up that says hey hit these buttons in the next ten seconds or you will be booted... Yeah I am not a computer programmer or anything but with all the stuff consoles can do you would thing something like that could be done.
Something about what OP claims doesn't make sense.

AFK boots happen every time someone is afk while waiting for a match...it should be practically impossible to be afk for as long as OP claims.
OP would have had to search on purpose every time to re-search for a new game. Heck I can't even leave it a few minutes before the game gives me an idle timer kick.
All this proves is that MCC needs a better AFK boot system to stop AFK players since at the moment players are allowed to keep playing entire match's and do nothing.
ronnie42 wrote:

AFK boots happen every time someone is afk while waiting for a match...it should be practically impossible to be afk for as long as OP claims.
OP would have had to search on purpose every time to re-search for a new game. Heck I can't even leave it a few minutes before the game gives me an idle timer kick.
All this proves is that MCC needs a better AFK boot system to stop AFK players since at the moment players are allowed to keep playing entire match's and do nothing.
I don't know just today I thought I had backed out and didn't and was afk for quite awhile. The guy in the lead had 19 kills before I realized the game was going. But I play FFA so it doesn't drag a team down if I happen to get distracted or when I thought I backed out and didn't.
LethalQ wrote:
I don't know just today I thought I had backed out and didn't and was afk for quite awhile. The guy in the lead had 19 kills before I realized the game was going.
I think he's referring to when you're searching after a game ends. If you're afk for multiple games, the idle booter will kick you out of searching unless he's finding games instantly after a game is over.
LethalQ wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

I don't know just today I thought I had backed out and didn't and was afk for quite awhile. The guy in the lead had 19 kills before I realized the game was going. But I play FFA so it doesn't drag a team down if I happen to get distracted or when I thought I backed out and didn't.
Yes but AFK kicks don't happen in-game...they tend to happen when waiting for the next match starts so it's possible to on purpose start several match's then not play.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
I don't know just today I thought I had backed out and didn't and was afk for quite awhile. The guy in the lead had 19 kills before I realized the game was going.
I think he's referring to when you're searching after a game ends. If you're afk for multiple games, the idle booter will kick you out of searching unless he's finding games instantly after a game is over.
Ah ok, I am not sure .. I have never been one to test the afk system as I do my best not to do it.
LethalQ wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ah ok, I am not sure .. I have never been one to test the afk system as I do my best not to do it.
If it's like one or 2 games I get it to some degree. The afk problem is something that 343i needs to start enforcing since the current system is not effective to deal with it and is becoming an on/off common problem. At the moment last few days a majority of my 4 v 4 match's I've had to deal with a majority of my games where 1 or 2 players were afk and that just isn't acceptable in a mode where it basically gives the other team the advantage and essentially means the afk players are wasting my time since it's making it harder to win anything, making it a frustrating game.
ronnie42 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
If it's like one or 2 games I get it to some degree. The afk problem is something that 343i needs to start enforcing since the current system is not effective to deal with it and is becoming an on/off common problem. At the moment last few days a majority of my 4 v 4 match's I've had to deal with a majority of my games where 1 or 2 players were afk and that just isn't acceptable in a mode where it basically gives the other team the advantage and essentially means the afk players are wasting my time since it's making it harder to win anything, making it a frustrating game.
I wish the afk players would just do it in FFA... I don't care when I see some one afk in FFA. I just take my kill and move on.
Yeah, I had you on either my team or the opposition for a whole night of ranked squad battle and whatever team you landed on generally lost the game. I can't really blame your teammates for being upset.

The AFK booter automatically kicks in after a set amount of time. It is by design impossible to AFK for a whole night of matchmaking because you will be kicked either in-game or backed out in the queue with idle detection (provided you weren't moving sticks just long enough to avoid a kick between games.)

I don't know if you were just AFKing in hopes of free wins for skins, but people don't enjoy being on the receiving end of that. Just play legit.
LethalQ wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
I wish the afk players would just do it in FFA... I don't care when I see some one afk in FFA. I just take my kill and move on.
Yeh know what you mean since at least in FFA I don't have to worry about if there making my team lose and it means I can hold me own without dealing with unfair odds. Just wish 343i would actually put in a proper report system in MCC and actually do something about these common issues with afk players.
Did you keep your xbox on? I figure once it's off it shouldn't let you continue right? Maybe I'm wrong here, but that dosen't make much sense.
I think we can agree that, if you are going to be away for a while, it is best to just turn off the console. That avoids these types of accidents.
Yeah afk in ranked should be a permanent ban. Tc I have nothing good to say to you, just quit MCC forever. Seriously if you're just going to absolutely ruin a ranked experience that people are putting their precious free time into grinding, just to get set back because of scrubs like you? That is not cool. I'm not good but at least I'm not an inconsiderate jerk.
Enroj wrote:
Yeah afk in ranked should be a permanent ban.
At the very least they should have some kind of penalty system that stops them continuing to play for a certain amount of time...it just seems weird that penalties are only given for team killing while afk players seem to be able to keep going on.
I'm not sure what you intended to accomplish with this to begin with, that being said I'm not sure an apology is going to provide good discussion value.