Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Is it just me, or does Halo 3 on MCC feel off?

OP Dr Robaldnik

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
So I know I might get the inevitable comments telling me to just "git gud" at the game, but I will risk it, seeing as how I want to know if anyone else has shared the same experience as I have. Halo 3's multiplayer gameplay in the Master Chief Collection feels different. Something feels off about it, and I'm not an expert on video game programming, but I'll try to explain the best I can to why it feels off. I've played a few social game matches of Halo 3 Slayer yesterday, and to put it simply, the hit detection is bad. I can't seem to damage my opponents enough before they kill me. I know there's the whole "projectile based aiming system" in Halo 3, and I'm able to do pretty well if I lead my shots in the original Halo 3, but even if I do manage to lead my shots and hit the enemy, it seems like my bullets do less damage than they're supposed to, and sometimes I swear that I shoot an enemy enough to get the kill, yet he get's away. Like, I shoot a spartan in the back with a battle rifle ten times and still don't get the kill, yet if I get shot, I die very quickly. I've heard somewhere (I don't remember where, a video I think) that hit detection in Halo 3 online multiplayer is determined by player internet connection. Is this true?

As a side note, I do decently playing multiplayer matches in other Halo games on MCC, yet when I play Halo 3 I just outright suck.
So I know I might get the inevitable comments telling me to just "git gud" at the game, but I will risk it, seeing as how I want to know if anyone else has shared the same experience as I have. Halo 3's multiplayer gameplay in the Master Chief Collection feels different. Something feels off about it, and I'm not an expert on video game programming, but I'll try to explain the best I can to why it feels off. I've played a few social game matches of Halo 3 Slayer yesterday, and to put it simply, the hit detection is bad. I can't seem to damage my opponents enough before they kill me. I know there's the whole "projectile based aiming system" in Halo 3, and I'm able to do pretty well if I lead my shots in the original Halo 3, but even if I do manage to lead my shots and hit the enemy, it seems like my bullets do less damage than they're supposed to, and sometimes I swear that I shoot an enemy enough to get the kill, yet he get's away. Like, I shoot a spartan in the back with a battle rifle ten times and still don't get the kill, yet if I get shot, I die very quickly. I've heard somewhere (I don't remember where, a video I think) that hit detection in Halo 3 online multiplayer is determined by player internet connection. Is this true?

As a side note, I do decently playing multiplayer matches in other Halo games on MCC, yet when I play Halo 3 I just outright suck.
I can't say I've had this issue, however I believe the rumors on the latency to hit detection are in fact true. This can be said for most games. If you can say yes to this question, you may have regular latency issues: have you ever shot someone and it seemed they didn't take damage but then as you die you see them lose their shields or even die?

I've had that happen, as well as watching enemies teleport away from my shots (I use wifi, so that's why).
It's not just halo 3 that is off. Halo 2, 2a, and especially ce have issues that are either exclusive to the mcc or were in older versions of the games.
I can tell you that Halo 3 is known for having inconsistent hit detection added the fact the BR has bullet spread. From my experience, I have to unload a full mag just to kill one guy despite the fact I can see my shots flaring on the target and blood coming out, but still, he's not dead. Considering from where I live between Australia & the West US Server (150+ ms ping), I shouldn't really be surprised that hit detection will be inconsistent.

I suspect the YouTube vids you were pointing to was this video and this?
I'm so happy someone else has mentioned this. My brother and I play big team on Halo 3 and I have said multiple times the hit detection is off, because I used to be pretty good at Halo and now im pretty average. Yeah this is an issue, some games its more noticeable than others. I hope reach isnt like that.
In its best form (LAN) H3 still has problems due to slow bullet projectile speed and random BR spread. These issues are only exacerbated when you add in any amount of latency produced when playing online. No you're not crazy. H3 has some of the longest kill-times in the series due to these (subjective) "issues". That being said I do feel personally that finding a proper mix of controller settings for the aiming to feel smooth has been much more challenging in H3 MCC than the other titles, and I am not sure why this is the case.
Halo 3 has always had this problem. Its netcode prioritizes objects such as scenery and grenades over projectiles and important things, so if you toss a grenade or bump a piece of scenery, the game's netcode focuses on that instead of your bullets. Also, the projectiles of Halo 3 move at a far slower speed than in other games. Halo CE also uses projectiles for its gameplay, but those projectiles move so quickly that it's often mistaken for hitscan. So, I tend to avoid playing Halo 3 multiplayer on the MCC for this reason... among others. If Halo 3's netcode wasn't so wonky, I would actually consider its multiplayer to be as good as most people tend to claim it is.
Biggest issue I’ve seen in Halo 3 is melee hits not registering consistently. I’ll do a normal melee on an enemy that makes me lunge forward a bit at them, but it doesn’t register as a hit and I slide off them
In guardians , the classic H3 social quickplay list is up at moment , it's really a reliable alternative to the H3 hit detection issues .
In guardians , the classic H3 social quickplay list is up at moment , it's really a reliable alternative to the H3 hit detection issues .
I played that recently. It's pretty fun, but I was terrible playing it. It was team oddball on High Ground, and I died a lot to much more skilled players. But yeah, hit detection works better in Halo 5 than Halo 3 on MCC.
The BR's hit detection in Halo 3 on MCC is objectively worse than the hit detection of the BR in OG Halo 3. While I'm not certain of the cause, I'm certain of the issue itself. I even went back to OG Halo 3 just to make sure I wasn't crazy.
I just posted a Similar thread about Halo 3 If you log on the twitch and watch people stream helo MCC all their shots are registering and they're moving good without lag great hit detection and I have giga fiber better connection than them something's fishy on 343 side they're hosting the game I'm trying to get a response on my thread which is a little bent beneath the Yours and I still haven't been answered I don't think will ever get an answer on this hit registration bunch of cheaters and 343 they won't let us play the game like the people on twitch maybe have to pay the people in charge monthly rent who knows
omarlotrc wrote:
The BR's hit detection in Halo 3 on MCC is objectively worse than the hit detection of the BR in OG Halo 3. While I'm not certain of the cause, I'm certain of the issue itself. I even went back to OG Halo 3 just to make sure I wasn't crazy.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. For a while I thought I just got worse at Halo 3, but the truth was that the hit detection on MCC is different from the original Halo 3. I believe I could go play the original Halo 3 onine right now and I could do way better than the MCC version.
TextRip wrote:
I just posted a Similar thread about Halo 3 If you log on the twitch and watch people stream helo MCC all their shots are registering and they're moving good without lag great hit detection and I have giga fiber better connection than them something's fishy on 343 side they're hosting the game I'm trying to get a response on my thread which is a little bent beneath the Yours and I still haven't been answered I don't think will ever get an answer on this hit registration bunch of cheaters and 343 they won't let us play the game like the people on twitch maybe have to pay the people in charge monthly rent who knows
Oh really? Sorry to bury your thread. I don't think the issue has anything to do with cheaters, but I believe it's just bad online connectivity issues, lag, and other issues that weren't present in the original Halo 3.
Halo 3 has always had this problem. Its netcode prioritizes objects such as scenery and grenades over projectiles and important things, so if you toss a grenade or bump a piece of scenery, the game's netcode focuses on that instead of your bullets. Also, the projectiles of Halo 3 move at a far slower speed than in other games. Halo CE also uses projectiles for its gameplay, but those projectiles move so quickly that it's often mistaken for hitscan. So, I tend to avoid playing Halo 3 multiplayer on the MCC for this reason... among others. If Halo 3's netcode wasn't so wonky, I would actually consider its multiplayer to be as good as most people tend to claim it is.
Do you think that netcode issue has been accentuated in the MCC? Because I play a lot better on the original Halo 3 compared to the MCC version.
Do you think that netcode issue has been accentuated in the MCC? Because I play a lot better on the original Halo 3 compared to the MCC version.
Possibly. Considering that 343 has stated they want the games to feel exactly the way they did when they released, there's zero chance of the netcode being patched to fix this particular issue unless 100% of all players ask for it, which... won't ever happen. But don't forget, it's not just the netcode. It's also the speed of the projectiles as well. Halo 3 uses slower moving projectiles than most of the other games in the series, which certainly isn't helped by the netcode, but it's definitely a contributing factor in regards to inconsistent hit registration for certain weapons, at least in multiplayer. Combine the speed of weapon projectiles with the netcode, and you have Halo 3's off-feeling multiplayer issues.

This is why games without grenades that also use sterile maps (maps with no vehicles or movable scenery) and short-range weapons, since short range weapons require the player to be up-close to be effective, thus reducing the distance over which the projectiles will be moving, have the least problems. Honestly, if the speeds at which projectiles moved were closer to those of the projectiles in Halo CE, I think there would be less issues with inconsistent hit registration. It wouldn't go away, but it would be less noticeable.
Scoping in is almost useless on most small maps now to be honest
have in count this. when 343 programmed halo 3 for halo tmcc, they kept the same netcode from the xbox 360 version, which is pretty bad and the detection doesnt work well most of the time. and the weapons have random spread, plus a very slow bullet travel time. thats why is feels like that. i feel like that when i play btb. and sometimes the bullets simply dont hit the enemy.
I played that recently. It's pretty fun, but I was terrible playing it. It was team oddball on High Ground, and I died a lot to much more skilled players. But yeah, hit detection works better in Halo 5 than Halo 3 on MCC.
have in count that halo 5 have hitscan, which is translated to instant damage when you pull trigger, but its a good option if you want to play halo 3 maps in a more balanced way
Open your ports in the router(Portforwarding). Port 80-port-88-port-53 and keep upnp on..DO NOT RELAY ON UPNP ALONE..Your bullets will now hit the target and make damage.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4